What are some iconic songs you are shocked never reached the Billboard Hot 100 summit?

15 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

The first time I ever heard this song was when these two teenage girls across the street were blasting it NONSTOP. This was in like 2001-2002 so it had already been out for some years. Anyways, I HATED this song because of that and used to call them *****es for playing it. One of them ended up chasing me with a knife and ended up in rehab until she got her life together and updated me when I ran into her several years later :orangu_orangutan_ape: love the song now :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

:dead_falling_wig_dying:

spacer.png

• Haha 6
15 minutes ago, Stannedforever said:

:cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:Backstreet Boys never had #1 song on BB100 despite being really really big around the millenium, their arguably biggest hit only topped at #6

Hung up charted atop of like 40 countries but only #7 on BB100 :OMGney_britney_surprised_no_way_shocked_wide_eyes:

Aside other Britney songs, Gimme More was also really surprising, it played for months and months on radio all around the europe but only #3 on USA?  :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

Right?! Kinda crazy that, as popular as boy bands were in the late 90s and early 00s, there was only one #1 of the genre during the craze: “It’s Gonna Be Me” by NSYNC.

Which is crazy on many levels, not least of which - it felt like “Bye Bye Bye” was the bigger hit.

Justin Timberlake Jt GIF by *NSYNC

• Love 5

:lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger: This thread just shows how impressive it was to chart atop of the charts (or even in top 10 really) up until like 2008. Artist/band could sell millions and still only chart at like #5. Back then artist/band really needed to work their *** off and promote their albums/songs to get that monster hit.

This thread also shows how many iconic songs didn't even need the charts to become classics for generations to come :tiffanynod_miss_ms_ny_new_york_yes_yas_nodding_agree:

• Love 5
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, filmandstage13 said:

Right?! Kinda crazy that, as popular as boy bands were in the late 90s and early 00s, there was only one #1 of the genre during the craze: “It’s Gonna Be Me” by NSYNC.

Which is crazy on many levels, not least of which - it felt like “Bye Bye Bye” was the bigger hit.

Justin Timberlake Jt GIF by *NSYNC

I was shocked when I found out Bye Bye Bye didn’t go #1. I had those little watch things that played the music video. And the Oops one too :selenerz_selena_crying_tears_sad:

• Love 2
1 minute ago, King B. said:

wth? This wordsget thrown around like people change their underwear.... nothing is iconic at all about her.

Naomi Campbell is judging you.

Iconic in the sense that the majority that grew up in that time know her name. You may not think her music was impactful, but in terms of success and press Mandy Moore was more impactful than some of the bigger names today :clicktina_xtina_christina_aguilera_mouse_computer:  Mandy was in teen magazines the same way Britney, Christina and Jessica were. Those 4 were always categorized together in those magazines 

Edited by CrazyButItFeelsAllright
Just now, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Iconic in the sense that the majority that grew up in that time know her name. You may not think her music was impactful, but in terms of success and press Mandy Moore was more impactful than some of the bigger names today :clicktina_xtina_christina_aguilera_mouse_computer: 

I'm taking what you have ....

Just now, Stannedforever said:

:lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger: This thread just shows how impressive it was to chart atop of the charts (or even in top 10 really) up until like 2008. Artist/band could sell millions and still only chart at like #5. Back then artist/band really needed to work their *** off and promote their albums/songs to get that monster hit.

This thread also shows how many iconic songs didn't even need the charts to become classics for generations to come :tiffanynod_miss_ms_ny_new_york_yes_yas_nodding_agree:

Also shows that Billboard really struggled to keep up with music trends and that their rules in the 90s and early 00s resulted in chart placements that weren’t necessarily reflective of popularity.

The restrictions of charting for commercial releases in particular skewed the results in the 90s. Mariah, for instance, always made sure to have a physical single to keep her #1 streak alive. Whereas for Brit, it made more sense to hold back the physical single several times to boost album sales. Oops would have surely been #1 if we didn’t all have to wait for the full CD to come out a month after the song!

Billboard was also slow to acknowledge digital sales, which would have most likely make Toxic a number 1 here, since it topped digital sales for a full month when mp3 downloads were extremely popular. Yet it was never factored into its Hot 100 position.

Idolator actually did a whole article about how Brit’s chart record is not reflective of her actual success. At least for the singles, anyway. She dominated the albums charts.

https://www.idolator.com/5065220/got-lost-in-the-game-hot-100-victory-returns-britney-from-chart-wilderness

• Love 4
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, filmandstage13 said:

Also shows that Billboard really struggled to keep up with music trends and that their rules in the 90s and early 00s resulted in chart placements that weren’t necessarily reflective of popularity.

The restrictions of charting for commercial releases in particular skewed the results in the 90s. Mariah, for instance, always made sure to have a physical single to keep her #1 streak alive. Whereas for Brit, it made more sense to hold back the physical single several times to boost album sales. Oops would have surely been #1 if we didn’t all have to wait for the full CD to come out a month after the song!

Billboard was also slow to acknowledge digital sales, which would have most likely make Toxic a number 1 here, since it topped digital sales for a full month when mp3 downloads were extremely popular. Yet it was never factored into its Hot 100 position.

Idolator actually did a whole article about how Brit’s chart record is not reflective of her actual success. At least for the singles, anyway. She dominated the albums charts.

https://www.idolator.com/5065220/got-lost-in-the-game-hot-100-victory-returns-britney-from-chart-wilderness

Thanks for posting this! I wish more people were aware of this. She really was done dirty with all of their nonsensical changes throughout the years. I wish there were a way we could gather information to have published about what a songs peak would’ve been had changes applicable today were set in the past 

• Love 1

I loved this post and need more of it so please do so. As for the Mariah haters, she has pulled # 1’s through so many decades and tribulations so if you can’t connect with her first, second or even last number 1, simply move on. She’s a legend,  she writes she actually sings and has done enough to prove herself in the industry. Which doesn’t seem to be enough for everyone but let her be effing Mariah because she did that and she should enjoy her success. Many other artists are lazy so give her some damn credit.

• Love 2
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Thanks for posting this! I wish more people were aware of this. She really was done dirty with all of their nonsensical changes throughout the years. I wish there were a way we could gather information to have published about what a songs peak would’ve been had changes applicable today were set in the past 

No problem! Not to mention the ultimate dirty move - the last second rule change made specifically to deny Blackout the number one and stop Brit’s record number 1 debut streak.

I’ll never forgive them for that. :britdrown_britney_tears_crying_drown_ink_black:

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, filmandstage13 said:

No problem! Not to mention the ultimate dirty move - the last second rule change made specifically to deny Blackout the number one and stop Brit’s record number 1 debut streak.

I’ll never forgive them for that. :britdrown_britney_tears_crying_drown_ink_black:

I’ll forever be bitter about that. To think the 7 #1 album streak was broken by their stupid last minute rule change :didilie_nicki_lmao_laugh_haha_lol_hehe_cackle_minaj_hat:

34 minutes ago, GODNA IS A QUEEN said:

Do you live under a rock? Criminal gets more reoccurring streams than any of her other FF singles and the track has gone viral on several occasions.

Who remembers pressed Beyhive and little monsters getting the video age restricted on YouTube to prevent her from capitalizing on the streaming figures? :didilie_nicki_lmao_laugh_haha_lol_hehe_cackle_minaj_hat:

• Haha 4

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block