What are some iconic songs you are shocked never reached the Billboard Hot 100 summit?

Hey Exhale,

Seeing the community reinvigorated inspired me to get back to creating threads every now and then. I know we have mostly concluded that the charts don’t mean anything anymore, but it’s still a metric of success for the majority. I’ll be sharing some songs besides the obvious ones I was shocked to find never reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and curious to see which ones you agree with or think should’ve also topped the charts. 

This thread was inspired by my boyfriend and I talking about how Aaron Carter was that iconic that the majority of younger millennials/older Gen-Z grew up with him and knew who he was. We were shocked to find out that he never really had much success on the charts. Another person that comes to mind is Mandy Moore. She remains iconic, but I remember her being a dominant force in music and film growing up yet the same thing happened with her. The majority of the songs we remember from her never really charted well. It speaks volumes about how much more impactful artists were without social media and how much more mystery there was to them. Anyways this isn’t about Aaron Carter or Mandy Moore :orangu_orangutan_ape:

This list would’ve been all Britney songs, but that doesn’t make it interesting since we know she had a lot of songs that deserved to top the B100. 

1. Oops!…I Did It Again - Britney Spears Peak: 9

Honorable mention: Toxic Peak: 9 

2. Levitating - Dua Lipa Peak: 2

Honorable mention: Don’t Start Now Peak: 2

3. Dirrty - Christina Aguilera Peak: 48 

Honorable mention: Beautiful Peak: 2

4. Thriller - Michael Jackson Peak: 4

Honorable mention: Smooth Criminal Peak: 7

5. Since U Been Gone - Kelly Clarkson Peak: 2

Honorable mention: Because of You Peak: 7

Do you agree? Add yours! :kisses2all_britney_pom_piece_of_me_green_blowing_kissing:

Edited by CrazyButItFeelsAllright
  • Love 9

Mariah's debut singles going no 1, women did something there I'm telling you. She bribed people, idk but it was such a shocker to know. Such an average debut album and her most forgetful also. 

Also, I love mimi but I'm not delusional women lives for no 1s.

• Love 1
  • Haha 4
7 minutes ago, Avenger said:

Mariah's debut singles going no 1, women did something there I'm telling you. She bribed people, idk but it was such a shocker to know. Such an average debut album and her most forgetful also. 

Also, I love mimi but I'm not delusional women lives for no 1s.

I’ve never been a huge fan of hers and won’t downplay her achievements, but I truly think only 25% of those #1’s actually deserved it and are timeless. Most of them remind me of recent #1s that quickly fizzle out

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
23 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

I’ve never been a huge fan of hers and won’t downplay her achievements, but I truly think only 25% of those #1’s actually deserved it and are timeless. Most of them remind me of recent #1s that quickly fizzle out

This. I don't get it. :idkha_mariah_i_dont_know_her_pink_idk_shake_no:

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Had a lot of discounted maxi singles, I love my girl but it's True she is very chart obsessed. 🤧

• Love 1

OIDIA. I remember thinking it was a BB100 #1 hit when I was young until I looked it up on Wikipedia and saw that it barely made the Top 10?! :liar_red_mad_angry_anger_yell_slap: Also Thriller but at least it'll have a chance to hit #1 in the future due to the song gaining more streams and airplay every Halloween. :mjpopcorn_Michael_Jackson_popcorn_chew_eat_movie_watch_thriller:

• Love 3
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, rennen2.0 said:

Ah, love this idea. A great way to bring back some gems. I'm bringing some 90s gems which didn't quite make the top spot.

Sheryl Crow - All I Wanna Do Peak: 2

Shania Twain - From This Moment Peak: 4 

Not me just learning neither of these peaked at #1. I’m more shook at Sheryl since that song was EVERYWHERE :omggg_shocked_hand_old_lady_woman_surprised:

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, thebritmaster said:

Barbie Girl - Aqua Peak: 15 :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:

The first time I ever heard this song was when these two teenage girls across the street were blasting it NONSTOP. This was in like 2001-2002 so it had already been out for some years. Anyways, I HATED this song because of that and used to call them *****es for playing it. One of them ended up chasing me with a knife and ended up in rehab until she got her life together and updated me when I ran into her several years later :orangu_orangutan_ape: love the song now :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

• Haha 6

:cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:Backstreet Boys never had #1 song on BB100 despite being really really big around the millenium, their arguably biggest hit only topped at #6

Hung up charted atop of like 40 countries but only #7 on BB100 :OMGney_britney_surprised_no_way_shocked_wide_eyes:

Aside other Britney songs, Gimme More was also really surprising, it played for months and months on radio all around the europe but only #3 on USA?  :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Stannedforever said:

:cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:Backstreet Boys never had #1 song on BB100 despite being really really big around the millenium, their arguably biggest hit only topped at #6

Hung up charted atop of like 40 countries but only #7 on BB100 :OMGney_britney_surprised_no_way_shocked_wide_eyes:

Aside other Britney songs, Gimme More was also really surprising, it played for months and months on radio all around the europe but only #3 on USA?  :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

Wait no WHAT? You won the thread. All this time I never knew BSB never had a #1 on the BB100. Imma fact check :omggg_shocked_hand_old_lady_woman_surprised: also all these years. Nearly two decades letter and I never knew my favorite Madonna song never peaked at #1 on BB100?! :didilie_nicki_lmao_laugh_haha_lol_hehe_cackle_minaj_hat:

• Love 4

Aside from the obvious Brit songs (mostly Toxic and Oops), some others:

I Want it That Way (BSB actually never had a number 1)

i want it that way millennium GIF by BACKSTREET BOYS

Don’t Speak (Didn’t chart because of rules at the time)

gwen stefani dont speak GIFgwen stefani dont speak GIF

Work It (at the time set a record at #2)

i can phone ya missy elliot GIF

Bad Romance (couldn’t overtake Kesha)

creeping bad romance GIF by Lady Gaga

Beautiful (someone posted Dirrty, which while my favorite, Beautiful was everywhere at the time and more surprising that it stalled at #2)
beautiful GIF by Christina Aguilera

Torn (like Don’t Speak, it didn’t have an official commercial physical release, so one of the biggest hits of the 90s wasn’t eligible for the Hot 100 at the height of its popularity. A rule change toward the end of it’s popularity made it eligible, but since it was so old, it only charted at 42)

music video 90s GIF

• Love 1
  • Like 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block