Who are the next superstars in pop?

I might be wrong, but I feel the massive pop star as it was conceptualized before, might be a dying breed. Hits are always changing and theu are more dependent on Tik Tok than a solid video or performance. I do think the biggest pop star lately has been Abel aka The Weekend and I don't even see him holding that for long. Dull- a Lipa...she has the hits, but not the symbols and iconic images. Even the "big ones" seem to disappear at times. So, I don't think that concept will be the same as ot was. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
  • Content Curators

I don't think we'll ever see another huge pop star in music anymore.

The reason, well people don't buy music anymore, there's no impact. People just wanna stream and sure that has it's good aspects but there's no true impact, people don't get excited about music the way they used to.

People not buying music = no investment from the company = low quality content, which is what we get for the most part today.

• Like 2

I wanna be there when you touch fire

There was A LOT of time between Madonna’s peak and Britney’s peak.  But if you look at this historically, the world LOVES larger than life pop acts.  Before Madonna, there was Kurt Cobain, MJ, and Elvis.  I’d even include Marilyn, though she was more of a screen star.

The point is that there will always be a place for stars of this magnitude.  Ariana is probably the most recent celebrity I can think of who got close to this.  You saw little girls in cat ears everywhere for awhile, and her music was playing on all platforms.  But she didn’t reach household name status like Britney, Beyoncé, Madonna, etc.

The pandemic has made this difficult, I think (no tours, no public interaction, no in store promotions), and media is consumed through so many different channels now that it’s difficult to capture all the generations at once.  But someone will eventually be able to do that, it’s just hard to say when and who.  I don’t see anyone who’s currently popular being a contender.

My point is the idea of “the next Britney” isn’t dead.  We’re just in the in-between stage of worldwide iconic stars.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 3/20/2022 at 6:19 PM, HisNameisChase said:

The days of true superstars and celebrities are over.

Social media has ruined this as anyone can become famous, like a celebrity.

No newcomer is a true superstar. You see millions of people who have talent on TikTok and social media, but they are not marketable or they do not have the "it" factors.

Plus, everyone has terrible attention spans to the point of barely being able to consume an entire album. Why do you think songs are less than 3 minutes nowadays?

Honestly this. 

Not only are these "popstars" lacking real talent, they are also seriously lacking star power and like others have said that je ne sais quoi or that "something" that makes a truly great popstar :outwithit_go_on_wave_britney_femme_fatale_ff_documentary:

Social media definitely has a role to play in this as everyone is "famous" now, atleast in their own heads and it just doesn't make a great recipe for a truly great popstar. 

To add to that, the journey our greats have had to take to get where they are is no longer necessary when you can just upload a TikTok or YouTube video, and this is what were now seeing on our screens and classing as a "popstar". 

I find 95% of all these popstars as dry as bread, and tend to listen to more alternative artists now. 

Can you imagine now someone breaking through and having an impact like MJ, Janet, Britney etc.... Its just not gonna happen. Just look at the viewing figures for any award show... 

To add to that a lot of these artists are more focused on having a specific "sound" or are focused on outdoing each other or becoming the next "Britney" or "Beyonce" or whatever it is and don't focus on their craft or artistry or evolving as an artist. And trends change quick and attention spans are short... So they end up running out of ideas and their careers are shortlived.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2022 at 1:01 AM, Mayenaise said:

Honestly this. 

Not only are these "popstars" lacking real talent, they are also seriously lacking star power and like others have said that je ne sais quoi or that "something" that makes a truly great popstar :outwithit_go_on_wave_britney_femme_fatale_ff_documentary:

Social media definitely has a role to play in this as everyone is "famous" now, atleast in their own heads and it just doesn't make a great recipe for a truly great popstar. 

To add to that, the journey our greats have had to take to get where they are is no longer necessary when you can just upload a TikTok or YouTube video, and this is what were now seeing on our screens and classing as a "popstar". 

I find 95% of all these popstars as dry as bread, and tend to listen to more alternative artists now. 

Can you imagine now someone breaking through and having an impact like MJ, Janet, Britney etc.... Its just not gonna happen. Just look at the viewing figures for any award show... 

To add to that a lot of these artists are more focused on having a specific "sound" or are focused on outdoing each other or becoming the next "Britney" or "Beyonce" or whatever it is and don't focus on their craft or artistry or evolving as an artist. And trends change quick and attention spans are short... So they end up running out of ideas and their careers are shortlived.

JJ is the mother of all the pop girls. Britney, Ciara, Beyoncé, Aaliyah, Tinashe, Teyana, Janelle, Normani, Rihanna (partly) etc. are ALL her daughters... I'll even throw Doja Cat in this bunch too. And only Rihanna & Brit are daughters of Madge AND Janet...the others mentioned are straight up Janet's daughters. 

On 4/29/2022 at 7:01 PM, senammoises said:

Lady Gaga was the last great superstar. Literally everyone knew (and know) her. I don't see the same with Dua, Ariana and Billie.

I feel like this is true... Ariana is/was huge, but never really reached global status. So yeah, Lady Gaga was the last one.

I think it has to do with pop stars being so easily manufactured with social media now, whereas before you had to rely on talent and a huge charisma to catch people's attention and get through globally. Now, any kid with social media presence can give it a try, and so we're flooded with lots of wannabes.

I'm surprised Doja isn't mentioned more though, she really has it all and already has somewhat a global presence. Miley is also an important presence in pop right now.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block