Who are the next superstars in pop?

This question has been stuck in my head for a while now because as a pop fan I’ve never seen this genre as dead as it is today. Back then we had poppy beats and iconic moments happening all at once, from Britney’s and Bey’s iconic performances to Gaga’s shockingly fashion appearances. We had Jennifer Lopez, Shakira, Rihanna, Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj with them bops everywhere. 

What do we have now? I checked Today’s Top Hits and all I can see is a bunch of no names with songs that aims  a depressed and sad demographic. 

My questions are:

1. Have we outgrown this generation of music and now we feel like misfits? 
  2. Who are the next superstars in pop? 
  • Love 4
  • Like 1

Q: Have we outgrown this generation of music and now we feel like misfits? 

A: You know, Style, I do think most of us have. Talk to me 10 years ago and I was a chart-nerd. Pop was a lot of fun and it was making numbers. I scrolled down only the first 20 songs in the Top 50 Global Chart in Spotify and I only listen to 3 of those songs... 3! The rest I don't know or don't like. Personally, and for a couple of years now, I've explored Latin American indie and it's just mindblowing. I consider my music taste to be eclectic... but pop, blatant pop, was the foundation of it all, and I miss it. :byetina_xtina_Christina_aguilera_pink_leave_bye_walk_leave_carpet_cheetah_hat:

Q: Who are the next superstars in pop? 

A: Is it hard to believe that I can only think of one? and that is Miss Dua Lipa. She was the definite pop musician of 2020-21 and I believe that with a savvy team behind, she will become the next great thing. Also, Future Nostalgia is the only pop album I actually enjoyed in the last couple of years. As for other musicians who have made waves... I just happen to be uninterested. Olivia caters to young guys (although I like Deja Vu), and while her album was raved by many, I just don't feel like giving it a spin. Billie is a very talented girl, but she doesn't have the elements of a pop star.... and she does not need them. Doja is fun, but I don't know... she's not my cup of tea either. :selena_red_carpet_gomez_um_stare:

Q: What about the pop stars we know of? Will they restart the cycle?

A: I firmly believe that if Britney decides to come back, she will end careers. Ariana could well do this, unless she keeps this old trap trend. Taylor is more focused on re-recording her albums. Katy is now... well she is not successful anymore. Rihanna does not need music to make money. Lady Gaga might still be tired of all the outfits and antics... and who can blame her, she gave us a lot. Shakira needs to get a grip because that last song she put out... oh well. Jennifer has been putting out mediocre droplets and that's not the way to bring pop back to life. Let's just say that I'm happy to be an avid music listener and there's life outside pop. :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

Q: Any pop musician that might deserve attention?

A: Ugh, thanks for asking that. Fletcher, she's incredible. Check "Shhh... Don't Say it", "Silence", and "The One"... steamy bops. Also, Gabrielle Aplin... "Miss You" and "Waking Up Slow" are cute danceable bops. :makeitrain_britney_blush_headphones_omg_wow_happy:

Q: Thank you for your candid answers, Adriannn.

A: Always a pleasure, dear Style. :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:

• Love 8
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, Adriannn said:

Q: Have we outgrown this generation of music and now we feel like misfits? 

A: You know, Style, I do think most of us have. Talk to me 10 years ago and I was a chart-nerd. Pop was a lot of fun and it was making numbers. I scrolled down only the first 20 songs in the Top 50 Global Chart in Spotify and I only listen to 3 of those songs... 3! The rest I don't know or don't like. Personally, and for a couple of years now, I've explored Latin American indie and it's just mindblowing. I consider my music taste to be eclectic... but pop, blatant pop, was the foundation of it all, and I miss it. :byetina_xtina_Christina_aguilera_pink_leave_bye_walk_leave_carpet_cheetah_hat:

Q: Who are the next superstars in pop? 

A: Is it hard to believe that I can only think of one? and that is Miss Dua Lipa. She was the definite pop musician of 2020-21 and I believe that with a savvy team behind, she will become the next great thing. Also, Future Nostalgia is the only pop album I actually enjoyed in the last couple of years. As for other musicians who have made waves... I just happen to be uninterested. Olivia caters to young guys (although I like Deja Vu), and while her album was raved by many, I just don't feel like giving it a spin. Billie is a very talented girl, but she doesn't have the elements of a pop star.... and she does not need them. Doja is fun, but I don't know... she's not my cup of tea either. :selena_red_carpet_gomez_um_stare:

Q: What about the pop stars we know of? Will they restart the cycle?

A: I firmly believe that if Britney decides to come back, she will end careers. Ariana could well do this, unless she keeps this old trap trend. Taylor is more focused on re-recording her albums. Katy is now... well she is not successful anymore. Rihanna does not need music to make money. Lady Gaga might still be tired of all the outfits and antics... and who can blame her, she gave us a lot. Shakira needs to get a grip because that last song she put out... oh well. Jennifer has been putting out mediocre droplets and that's not the way to bring pop back to life. Let's just say that I'm happy to be an avid music listener and there's life outside pop. :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

Q: Any pop musician that might deserve attention?

A: Ugh, thanks for asking that. Fletcher, she's incredible. Check "Shhh... Don't Say it", "Silence", and "The One"... steamy bops. Also, Gabrielle Aplin... "Miss You" and "Waking Up Slow" are cute danceable bops. :makeitrain_britney_blush_headphones_omg_wow_happy:

Q: Thank you for your candid answers, Adriannn.

A: Always a pleasure, dear Style. :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:

Even though I love Dua Lipa but she still has to prove it. Ok, Dua Lipa and others? Sorry but Olivia and Billie don’t have the star power to become as big as Britney and Beyonce. :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

I think we found the answer; we just moved on and defined our taste. I’m a pop fan and went with Nicki because she’s just that versatile and made me fall in love with her rap. Today, I can say I’m a huge hip hop listener because Nicki introduced me to this genre. Stream When We Were Young by Adele. It was just like a movie, it was just like a song. :kyliecry_crying_tears_jenner_wipe_sad:

• Love 2

I thought about how sad the state of pop music has become today when I saw a TikTok of some of the top songs in 2009 and they were all bangers. It’s ironic because there’s so much choice in music now due to streaming, but I’m having a hard time finding the kind of pop music I want. The overly optimistic and happy pop music of the late 00s/early 10s got tired imo, but now we’re at the opposite end of the spectrum where pop music is too depressing now. We need more fresh sounding fun dance pop songs like Future Nostalgia.

It’s not really popular to be a classic popstar right now because authenticity seems like the #1 priority at the moment. Also, a lot of the things (performances, music videos, red carpet looks, etc.) that made true popstars with real star power what they are are becoming less and less popular with how many sources of media and entertainment there are.

• Love 4
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

I thought about how sad the state of pop music has become today when I saw a TikTok of some of the top songs in 2009 and they were all bangers. It’s ironic because there’s so much choice in music now due to streaming, but I’m having a hard time finding the kind of pop music I want. The overly optimistic and happy pop music of the late 00s/early 10s got tired imo, but now we’re at the opposite end of the spectrum where pop music is too depressing now. We need more fresh sounding fun dance pop songs like Future Nostalgia.

It’s not really popular to be a classic popstar right now because authenticity seems like the #1 priority at the moment. Also, a lot of the things (performances, music videos, red carpet looks, etc.) that made true popstars with real star power what they are are becoming less and less popular with how many sources of media and entertainment there are.

Yes, this is my point. My best years in music were the 2010’s period. All happy tunes and over the top performances/looks. Even back then we had more diversity with Lana Del Rey birthing her own genre of Hollywood’s Bleeding. :kesha_sunglasses_pink_talking_telling:

I should’ve asked this in the OP, who are the next superstars in pop? Really superstars who are doing numbers, stadiums, arenas. Even tho the reality is this, for me a superstar it’s a not about who has the most likes on a photo on Instagram or who has the most streams. That’s just not it. 

• Love 2

The days of true superstars and celebrities are over.

Social media has ruined this as anyone can become famous, like a celebrity.

No newcomer is a true superstar. You see millions of people who have talent on TikTok and social media, but they are not marketable or they do not have the "it" factors.

Plus, everyone has terrible attention spans to the point of barely being able to consume an entire album. Why do you think songs are less than 3 minutes nowadays?

• Love 2
  • Like 2

In all honestly I dont even check new music playlists now or viral hits I legit don't know most of them and I feel old already. I don't care for American pop much now, I do listen to Doja or Rina etc but apart from that I don't care for much. KPOP is serving on the other hand especially in terms of dancing my god, kids love them here. 

It isn’t really a trend to be a “larger than life pop star” anymore a la MJ, Madonna, Janet, Britney, etc. aka having songs with big, loud choruses accompanied by complex dance numbers. This particular trend has been going on since the mid-2010s. Music has evolved. Times have changed. The industry as a whole is declining but that’s just the way it is. Artists like Lana and Ariana created a whole new lane and shift of what is to be expected of a pop star in the 2010s and beyond.

• Like 1
Just now, GODNA IS A QUEEN said:

It isn’t a trend to be a “pop star” anymore a la Madonna, Janet, Britney, etc. This particular trend has been going on since the mid-2010s. Simple as that. Music has evolved. Times have changed. The industry as a whole is declining but that’s just the way things are shaping to be.

And I’m going to be the one to save it. Wait for me ***** 

• Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block