Britney's Fiancé Sam Asghari reveals he auditioned for 'And Just Like That'

Cqleb

On 12/31/2021 at 5:35 AM, ThatWasFun said:

I know what I'm about to say is a very unpopular opinion... but I kind of like this "new" show.

Everything's the same, but everything's different. I think that is what happens in life.

They are touching on several topics I've yet to seen really dealt with in a live action manner. It's always a descriptor but we never saw that evolution (widow, trans, alcoholic, etc.).

I also think this show, and its predecessor, speaks about "taboo" topics to its white woman audience to make them comfortable. Always thought, as a gay man living in the midwest when s** and the City originally aired, the target audience was my then boyfriend's mom and her friends. I remember going to the movie when it premiered. It was all middle aged white woman. I think it's catering storylines to that core audience.

The rest of us get the punchlines at the end of the scenes.

Yeah unpopular. And i don't know how to process all the new things but still watch it. Feels like they put into every topic existing nowadays and just make girls wear some new outfits. The whole story looks kind of weird. I mean it is nice show is inclusive but also i do not see the previous show magic. It realy lacks soul. 

1 hour ago, icybaby said:

Yeah unpopular. And i don't know how to process all the new things but still watch it. Feels like they put into every topic existing nowadays and just make girls wear some new outfits. The whole story looks kind of weird. I mean it is nice show is inclusive but also i do not see the previous show magic. It realy lacks soul. 

While I get what you mean, I think we all have rose colored glasses when it comes to the old show. I initially was unsure about the new show and was afraid it would age horribly with all the current event talk, until a friend pointed out that it is basically the same show. SATC was very topical to that time period, and focused a lot on issues women in their 30s deal with when it comes to dating and just living. They had topics on different types of orientations, race, and female ***uality. They made references to the Pokémon craze of the 90s, showed Charlotte using a prehistoric version of amazon to buy a book, made jokes about Ricky Martin being gay etc. It's almost like a pop culture time capsule. This new series is just following that trend. Focusing on issues that women their age in the current time would be faced with. Do I like it as much as the old show? No, but I can respect what it is doing. It isn't going to have the same sax-filled scenes of Carrie slinking around in a dress feeling herself while she is in the prime. Carrie is almost 60 now, they are entering the final stages of their life so it would be weird for it to have the same energy as the old show. I don't think they could have done this show any other way lol.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, MikeSim said:

While I get what you mean, I think we all have rose colored glasses when it comes to the old show. I initially was unsure about the new show and was afraid it would age horribly with all the current event talk, until a friend pointed out that it is basically the same show. SATC was very topical to that time period, and focused a lot on issues women in their 30s deal with when it comes to dating and just living. They had topics on different types of orientations, race, and female ***uality. They made references to the Pokémon craze of the 90s, showed Charlotte using a prehistoric version of amazon to buy a book, made jokes about Ricky Martin being gay etc. It's almost like a pop culture time capsule. This new series is just following that trend. Focusing on issues that women their age in the current time would be faced with. Do I like it as much as the old show? No, but I can respect what it is doing. It isn't going to have the same sax-filled scenes of Carrie slinking around in a dress feeling herself while she is in the prime. Carrie is almost 60 now, they are entering the final stages of their life so it would be weird for it to have the same energy as the old show. I don't think they could have done this show any other way lol.

I know it can't be the same show. I know it has to picture that is important now. But it's just seems like they try to in include every single topic open today. And not really focus on a story being interesting. I really like they included race topic. I think it is extremely important. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, icybaby said:

I know it can't be the same show. I know it has to picture that is important now. But it's just seems like they try to in include every single topic open today. And not really focus on a story being interesting. I really like they included race topic. I think it is extremely important. 

Yes, I totally concur! I just like the concept of us seeing them since the 90s, it feels so familiar n comforting.

• Like 1
  • Super Mods
On 12/31/2021 at 3:35 AM, ThatWasFun said:

I know what I'm about to say is a very unpopular opinion... but I kind of like this "new" show.

Everything's the same, but everything's different. I think that is what happens in life.

They are touching on several topics I've yet to seen really dealt with in a live action manner. It's always a descriptor but we never saw that evolution (widow, trans, alcoholic, etc.).

I also think this show, and its predecessor, speaks about "taboo" topics to its white woman audience to make them comfortable. Always thought, as a gay man living in the midwest when s** and the City originally aired, the target audience was my then boyfriend's mom and her friends. I remember going to the movie when it premiered. It was all middle aged white woman. I think it's catering storylines to that core audience.

The rest of us get the punchlines at the end of the scenes.

they kind of overdid it with the non-binary thing. I feel like it is literally the main topic of the show, and that's not what the show is about you know? Like i would get it if s**&the City was a show about non binary, LGBTQI, etc. but it's not. Mentioning it and having important characters who are non binary and gay is enough. 

Having every single episode revolve around it, is also fine, but kind of ruins the narrative of s** and the city. It's simply not about feminism anymore, it's about....literally everything else but feminism lol

2 hours ago, BUWYGF said:

they kind of overdid it with the non-binary thing. I feel like it is literally the main topic of the show, and that's not what the show is about you know? Like i would get it if s**&the City was a show about non binary, LGBTQI, etc. but it's not. Mentioning it and having important characters who are non binary and gay is enough. 

Having every single episode revolve around it, is also fine, but kind of ruins the narrative of s** and the city. It's simply not about feminism anymore, it's about....literally everything else but feminism lol

I'm trying not to come off attacky, but here goes:

It's enough for you. And I'm assuming you're a cis white gay man from your avi, so this is rather disappointing. But as I'm sure you yourself would agree representation is very important. Sure, it is yet again another white character's perspective of that journey, but I haven't seen too many Rose to Rock storylines. This representation isn't for the kids. It's for the 30+ yr old adults, they clearly need it.

And especially on a show spun off from satc... I don't really grasp how it isn't relevant here but ok.

On 1/1/2022 at 10:36 AM, Rik said:

I-  do Ppl just die at 60 now omg

In the days of covid? Yeah, more than they use to lol. 

While they aren't likely to drop dead anytime soon, I do feel like the final stages of your life begin around 55+. People retire and start preparing to just live out the last couple decades if they are lucky enough to. I would say they are all getting around that age in the series. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block