Jesy Nelson reveals she was hospitalised after last video with Little Mix and that Little Mix are her sisters but they need "time"

Slayer

Key parts of her interview:

“I was having these panic attacks out of nowhere. I couldn’t understand what was happening. It got to the point where I thought, this is too much – I need to come out of this now.”

Nelson has been calm, but starts to cry. “I did the music video and had a panic attack, and it was pretty mental that day. God, I haven’t really spoken about it and I’m getting upset. Sorry.” She brushes her tears away. “After the video I just got back in a really dark place and ended up back in hospital. That was when my mum said, ‘No more.’” The tears are still falling, and she grabs another tissue. “I had already decided. Then the girls spoke to Mum and said, ‘We think Jesy should come out of this now. She has to look after herself.’” So in the end it was their decision as much as hers? “Yeah,” she says. “Yeah. I know there are people who think I’ve let the other girls down, and that I’m so selfish, but I do think there comes a time in life when you do have to be selfish and look after yourself, and it was really affecting me mentally.”

“Certain people on my team didn’t care.” She comes to a stop. “I’m not talking about the girls. There were people on my team who knew how I was feeling and didn’t give a ****. They just weren’t bothered.” She means management? “Yep. There was an energy when I walked into a room. I felt there were certain people on my team who just didn’t want me to be there.”
I ask whether her unhappiness has made it tough for the girls over the years. “Of course. Course. We’ve all had our own problems. But it’s never nice to be around someone who’s down and doesn’t want to be there. As much as I needed to come out of it for myself, I didn’t want to keep putting three other people through that as well.”

Now Little Mix is a trio, two of whom are pregnant. Does she think the group will stay together? “I reckon they’ll look after their babies, go off and do their own things for a while, then make a comeback together. I think they’re just as sick as a three. They’re still doing it for girl power. I still love them to pieces. They were like my sisters.” Has she been in touch with them? “No, not as much. Not now. I think we all need time. It’s a big thing that’s happened.”

“What I’ve said about a million times is that I never said I’m coming out of the band to never be in the public eye again. I said I’m coming out of Little Mix because I could not deal with the pressure of being in a girl band, not that I can’t deal with the pressures of being in the spotlight or being famous.”

In May she was accused on social media of “blackfishing” – a term used to describe white people who have altered their appearance to the extent that they look racially ambiguous. “I would never want to offend anyone, and that was really upsetting. I wasn’t aware that’s how people felt.” She sounds bewildered by the allegation.

“In a group, you never really get to show off who you are because you get allocated a part. So now I’m doing this, I get to sing how I want.”

“In lockdown I’d just become a little porky pig and eaten whatever I wanted, and then they’d sprung on us two weeks prior, ‘Oh, you’ve got a music video.’ I got in a panic because I’d put on weight.” The panic was exacerbated by the styling for the video. “They were like, ‘You’ve got to wear a bikini!’ Obviously, I don’t have to wear it, but I knew I couldn’t be in a video with the other three wearing a bikini and me in a dressing gown. I got in such a state about having to lose weight in two weeks and wear a bikini. I went back to work and was really down about myself.”

In the end, she wore a corset while the others displayed their midriffs. Nelson was often dressed differently from the others in videos. For example, while they wore white, she would often wear black. “I never wanted to wear white because I thought white made me look fat,” she says. “So I’d wear black and there would be this constant joke online among fans: “Oh, someone forgot to tell Jesy about the white memo.”

Nelson’s sent me one of her new songs called Boyz. It is R&B influenced, with an element of hip-hop thrown in for good measure (including a sample from P Diddy’s Bad Boy For Life.) In the song, co-written with producers Loose Change, she calls herself out for being attracted to bad boys.

“Part of me feels I should be single for ever because in relationships you have to sacrifice so much. I like waking up and knowing this day is just for me and I don’t need to worry about anyone but me. I’m really not looking for a relationship any more.”

Perhaps the problem is that men just aren’t that great? She beams. “I wish I liked women, I really do. I said that to my sister the other day because she’s gay. I said, ‘Jade, I wish I loved women,’ and she was like, ‘Well, just try it – you never know.’ And I said, ‘No, I love men too much.’ I just love the way men smell, I love muscles, and women don’t have that, do they?” Some do, I say. “Ha ha! I’ll never rule it out, I’ll just say that.”

For now, Jesy Nelson is going to focus on herself. “I feel you only get one shot to make your impact as a solo artist, so I’m going all guns blazing. I don’t want people to be, ‘Oh, that’s nice,’ or ‘I expected her to do that.’ I want people to be, ‘**** my life, she’s here!’”

I remind her what her bandmate Jade Thirlwall said about her becoming a broken doll. Did she recognise that? “Yes!” If she was a broken doll then, what is she now? “Now? I am a dolly that’s been put back together again. I’m not going to say I’m a new dolly; I’m not going to sit here and say, ‘Oh my God, I’m not insecure any more, I’m the most confident person ever,’ because that would be bull****.” If she’s going to stay healthy, she says, it is vital that she’s honest with herself – and her fans.“I still have my insecurities and I probably always will, but it’s learning how to deal with them and accepting them. I still have days when I get down, but I’m definitely not broken. That’s for sure.”

Full article:

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2021/aug/21/jesy-nelson-on-leaving-little-mix-i-felt-everybody-hated-me?__twitter_impression=true

E9Tb4anXsAAJ5Mq?format=jpg&name=900x900

E9TeiuiXIAMYVto?format=jpg&name=medium

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, Geralt_of_Rivia said:

:mae_fire_explosion_dead_spiderman_old_woman:

I hope people leave her alone now :tifftear_miss_ny_new_york_ms_crying_wipe_tears_sad:

Photos done, she disappears to change clothes. When she returns, she’s unrecognisable. Dressed in black T-shirt, leggings and platform trainers, Nelson is all smiles; warm, giggly and uninhibited. I tell her I’ve never seen such a contrast. She laughs. “When I’m in front of a camera, I don’t know what to do. The other three girls would be in the weirdest positions and look fabulous. If I did it, I’d look awful.”

But during the show, Nelson was trolled horrifically on social media. “The first thing I read about myself was, ‘Is it me or does that girl look disabled?’ The next one said she really looks like a rat. And the next one was, ‘God her face looks deformed,’” she tells me. “When you’ve never had any issues with your face and then realise people are saying these things about you… ” She trails off. “You think if everybody is saying it, it must be true.” 

I ask Nelson when she was happiest in the band. Her answer leaves me flabbergasted.

“When we first got put together, before all the TV stuff. We were all living at Perrie’s mum’s pub in Es*** and, I think for all of us, it was the most magical time. It was so new and we didn’t know what was going to happen. We’d just dream about what we thought it was going to be like. We’d all go to Camden and buy matching outfits. There was no bad. It was all good.” This was before episodes had aired, before anyone knew they existed? “Yeah, but don’t get me wrong. I still wouldn’t change my journey – it’s made me who I am today.”

Is there always going to be one person in a group who feels “less than” the others? “I really do believe that. I would be very shocked to hear of any band where everyone felt equal. I don’t think that’s possible, because you’re always going to get compared; who they think looks better, who they think sings better. There’s always going to be one person that people think is weaker.” When people attacked her on social media, was it always about her appearance? “Yeah, it was never about my singing or my dancing. It was always about how I looked.”

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I hope people leave her alone now :tifftear_miss_ny_new_york_ms_crying_wipe_tears_sad:

Photos done, she disappears to change clothes. When she returns, she’s unrecognisable. Dressed in black T-shirt, leggings and platform trainers, Nelson is all smiles; warm, giggly and uninhibited. I tell her I’ve never seen such a contrast. She laughs. “When I’m in front of a camera, I don’t know what to do. The other three girls would be in the weirdest positions and look fabulous. If I did it, I’d look awful.”

But during the show, Nelson was trolled horrifically on social media. “The first thing I read about myself was, ‘Is it me or does that girl look disabled?’ The next one said she really looks like a rat. And the next one was, ‘God her face looks deformed,’” she tells me. “When you’ve never had any issues with your face and then realise people are saying these things about you… ” She trails off. “You think if everybody is saying it, it must be true.” 

I ask Nelson when she was happiest in the band. Her answer leaves me flabbergasted.

“When we first got put together, before all the TV stuff. We were all living at Perrie’s mum’s pub in Es*** and, I think for all of us, it was the most magical time. It was so new and we didn’t know what was going to happen. We’d just dream about what we thought it was going to be like. We’d all go to Camden and buy matching outfits. There was no bad. It was all good.” This was before episodes had aired, before anyone knew they existed? “Yeah, but don’t get me wrong. I still wouldn’t change my journey – it’s made me who I am today.”

Is there always going to be one person in a group who feels “less than” the others? “I really do believe that. I would be very shocked to hear of any band where everyone felt equal. I don’t think that’s possible, because you’re always going to get compared; who they think looks better, who they think sings better. There’s always going to be one person that people think is weaker.” When people attacked her on social media, was it always about her appearance? “Yeah, it was never about my singing or my dancing. It was always about how I looked.”

Exactly what we've been saying. :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw:

• Love 1

They still love each other, this just confirms. ..it wasn't a Geri, or zayn move. 

Her leaving was a mutual agreement between every member..

Reminds me of when Paul left S Club 7, to go back to his metal roots with his high school band Skua. 

And he was the fat one, that critics noticed, this was before social media, so the press was always horrible, but add judgment from every day common folk like you and me, yeah, that adds more trauma than needed, cos you're trained for the media, but not the public backlash.  

I'm glad she talked about how the industry needs psychologists to help mental health on their acts.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Jefferson Silva said:

jesy girl we already GOT that you left little mix because of your mental health

now its time to move on to another subject since you left little mix

thats the only thing talks about jesus 

Well she kept being questioned so she answered.

What a vile response when she literally said she was hospitalised last year. Don’t like her don’t click - stay pressed :mcwave_mariah_Carey_kiss_bye_goodbye_wave:

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Vic_B_Like said:

Pressure of being in a girl group but then go off and have a solo career which adds way more “pressure.” Sis just say you wanted to be a Solo artist and never wanted to be in a girl group. 

You clearly know NOTHING about Little Mix to say this, educate yourself before you make ill informed comments.

42 minutes ago, breathe_on_me_toxic said:

was it the videoshoot for touch?

After the Sweet Melody video she was put into hospital - that's why she disappeared for a while after the release.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

And on a side note, More tea..

The US label wanted the girls to sleep with djs and radio programmers since they refused, as a result Columbia said well F U girls, but I knew Fifth harmony did that move, I knew they weren't happy, I know we all want Camila gone, but she like this video says understood the game and she's not cancelled by the industry because she plays the games for radio airplay and album sales, which could explain why The beloved normani is flopping..

@Style.

@Slayer

@MikeHunt

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block