Songwriter and Producer Joshua Schwartz about his 13+ songs with Britney Spears

21 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

were you able to research into the Philippines channel that supposedly played the That's Where You Take Me video? I think it's called MYX. 

I do believe the CD was fanmade, in fact there's a blog that explains it was made and distributed by the official fan club in the Philippines, but the video, a lot of people really remember seeing it on the channel, and not only watching it, but it was actually part of the official countdowns of the channel, according to local fans (I can't testify if it's true or not myself). 

According to our very own @Roxxy , the That's Where You Take Me video came out as late as 2003, it was the video they had between Anticipating, which was huge in 2002, and Me Against the Music later that year. It could very well be put together by the channel, as an unofficial thing though. According to the fans, the channel was a huge supporter of Britney, she was just really huge in general in that country, so maybe they just wanted to have something to play in the months before the release of the next album. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

But anyways, thanks for doing this, I wanna check the other episodes you've released 

I actually talked about this with Joshua S.  This is just generically speaking, There is a sync fee, when MTV or other channels license the music video a fee is split.  (50/50) half for the label and artist, other half for songwriters.  That's where you take me was never sync'd for a music video.  Joshua acknowledged on the podcast that the song was never given a single or video treatment.  OF course, anyone can make a fan made version of a video or cd single.  But the publishing records do not support the belief that the song was synced for a mv.  Joshua talks about this on the episode, I am just paraphrasing.  

• Like 1
20 hours ago, JoJo Online said:

Wait what? 👀

Don't know what they are talking about, lol, as I talk directly to the songwriters.  The interviews are available were podcasts are!  The podcast also gives back to charity.  It's been fun, many of the upcoming songwriters have only worked on a single track for Britney but talk about their experience.  (so, lol, they have nothing else to release Britney wise)

• Love 1
1 minute ago, KrisJ said:

I didn’t know about this podcast! So cool seeing so many episodes about each specific song. 

Thank you!  It's been great talking to the songwriters and producers themselves, often times I remember hearing something that I wanted to ask them, to clear up some information.  They have all been so kind and open.  The podcast is about the songwriters and producers talking about their journey to how they got started, or working with britney, or the creation of a song.  It's been a lot of fun.  

• Like 1
23 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

were you able to research into the Philippines channel that supposedly played the That's Where You Take Me video? I think it's called MYX. 

I do believe the CD was fanmade, in fact there's a blog that explains it was made and distributed by the official fan club in the Philippines, but the video, a lot of people really remember seeing it on the channel, and not only watching it, but it was actually part of the official countdowns of the channel, according to local fans (I can't testify if it's true or not myself). 

According to our very own @Roxxy , the That's Where You Take Me video came out as late as 2003, it was the video they had between Anticipating, which was huge in 2002, and Me Against the Music later that year. It could very well be put together by the channel, as an unofficial thing though. According to the fans, the channel was a huge supporter of Britney, she was just really huge in general in that country, so maybe they just wanted to have something to play in the months before the release of the next album. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

But anyways, thanks for doing this, I wanna check the other episodes you've released 

On the interview, the writer talks about it and debunks the promo CD. It was fanmade all along.

Also, not sure if the MYX version is the same one we got in LQ, since the audio mix with the extra ad lib was also fanmade. So probably the MYX version, which was also unofficial, was different and some fan tried to recreate it with the fanmade extended audio.

So, all in all, the CD was a huge fan creation.

@aspireone @Roxxy @MSTAR @Lonely2001

• Love 2
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, CJMCH said:

On the interview, the writer talks about it and debunks the promo CD. It was fanmade all along.

Also, not sure if the MYX version is the same one we got in LQ, since the audio mix with the extra ad lib was also fanmade. So probably the MYX version, which was also unofficial, was different and some fan tried to recreate it with the fanmade extended audio.

Yeah, I think the CD is obviously fanmade (not fake, because it did exist, but made and distributed by the fanclub) but the video seems like it was definitely a thing, official or not. There's even an old forum thread I found when searching for it, and the posts are from like 2005-2006 and they're discussing the same, that there was a video for the song in the Philippines back in 2003, and this was way before that clip was uploaded to YouTube.

I did listen to the podcast, and I do understand the part that they need to be notified about those things, but I wonder how much control/reporting there is, especially in places like the Philippines or other markets that are so distant to the US. For example, they mention Anticipating being released as a single in France, yet it was huge in the Philippines too, so it was obviously released there too, at least on radio, and I think I remember people saying it was also released in Brazil (the video).  

I ignore how the releases are managed depending on the area, but a few days ago we had another thread discussing why international releases got different tracklists than the US, and there was this article talking about how each country/region releases the same material through different record labels or subdivisions, and how the later editions usually end up having all these bonus tracks, or extra content, different covers, remixes, etc. According to the podcast, the right thing to do would be that all of this gets notified to the corresponding people, Britney's team and label, the songwriters, producers, etc, but who knows with so many different labels and with so many countries how many times the communication gets lost, or how many liberties they get, like the Apple Music Festival DVD we got in Mexico and other places. 

I hope someday we can get the MYX version of the video though, even if unofficial.

Another similar instance of this that I remember, I don't know if you do, there was a TV version of Scream & Shout, which according to my memories of what fans said, was released by some UK TV channel, that was basically the standard song, but it mixed images from both the original and the remix video (only Britney parts). I can't find it anymore, and I don't know if it was fanmade, but I remember clearly that they claimed that it was for some channel, and I think overall it was a shorter version of the song. With Scream & Shout too, the version they play on VH1 as of this year, repeats the last chorus for some reason, and then we have MTV removing the flashing scenes from PG at the beginning, and so on, so all these little things I don't know if the record label send the videos to TV with those changes, or are decisions the TV channels make on their own. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Yeah, I think the CD is obviously fanmade (not fake, because it did exist, but made and distributed by the fanclub) but the video seems like it was definitely a thing, official or not. There's even an old forum thread I found when searching for it, and the posts are from like 2005-2006 and they're discussing the same, that there was a video for the song in the Philippines back in 2003, and this was way before that clip was uploaded to YouTube.

I did listen to the podcast, and I do understand the part that they need to be notified about those things, but I wonder how much control/reporting there is, especially in places like the Philippines or other markets that are so distant to the US. For example, they mention Anticipating being released as a single in France, yet it was huge in the Philippines too, so it was obviously released there too, at least on radio, and I think I remember people saying it was also released in Brazil (the video).  

I ignore how the releases are managed depending on the area, but a few days ago we had another thread discussing why international releases got different tracklists than the US, and there was this article talking about how each country/region releases the same material through different record labels or subdivisions, and how the later editions usually end up having all these bonus tracks, or extra content, different covers, remixes, etc. According to the podcast, the right thing to do would be that all of this gets notified to the corresponding people, Britney's team and label, the songwriters, producers, etc, but who knows with so many different labels and with so many countries how many times the communication gets lost, or how many liberties they get, like the Apple Music Festival DVD we got in Mexico and other places. 

I hope someday we can get the MYX version of the video though, even if unofficial.

Another similar instance of this that I remember, I don't know if you do, there was a TV version of Scream & Shout, which according to my memories of what fans said, was released by some UK TV channel, that was basically the standard song, but it mixed images from both the original and the remix video (only Britney parts). I can't find it anymore, and I don't know if it was fanmade, but I remember clearly that they claimed that it was for some channel, and I think overall it was a shorter version of the song. With Scream & Shout too, the version they play on VH1 as of this year, repeats the last chorus for some reason, and then we have MTV removing the flashing scenes from PG at the beginning, and so on, so all these little things I don't know if the record label send the videos to TV with those changes, or are decisions the TV channels make on their own. 

Yeah, both MYX and UK Scream & Shout cases are real, but unofficial, so all in all it's still fanmade/unofficial.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

One thing I chatted about before is that it doesn't matter what country, there is the label and the distributor.  It doesn't matter where the country is, they all have distributors/labels that cover most countries.  Also, with an album by Britney the cost is a lot, so often times (Jive/Zomba) would add bonus tracks to make the purchase worthwhile overseas.  There have been global releases for decades.  When money can be made, you can be sure someone is making sure they get their paycheck.  I talked about Right Now (Taste The Victory) it was commissioned as a jingle, the chances of it being released on a compilation album would be rare, as the contract with a jingle is very specific.  Like you can use it during said time, but not XYZ.  Whatever the stipulations are.  

Comes down to this, Britney in the early 2000's was a money machine globally, lol, you best believe Clive Calder and the publishers made sure they got paid for the music.  

That is why many TARGET BONUS tracks, are not available on Apple or Spotify.  (not all but most) The contract says "hey we will give you this bonus track for a said time and no one else has the ability to get it officially."

There are a lot of moving pieces, some make sense and some don't.  lol.  Some just come down to a contract.  

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, JamesRodriguez said:

One thing I chatted about before is that it doesn't matter what country, there is the label and the distributor.  It doesn't matter where the country is, they all have distributors/labels that cover most countries.  Also, with an album by Britney the cost is a lot, so often times (Jive/Zomba) would add bonus tracks to make the purchase worthwhile overseas.  There have been global releases for decades.  When money can be made, you can be sure someone is making sure they get their paycheck.  I talked about Right Now (Taste The Victory) it was commissioned as a jingle, the chances of it being released on a compilation album would be rare, as the contract with a jingle is very specific.  Like you can use it during said time, but not XYZ.  Whatever the stipulations are.  

Comes down to this, Britney in the early 2000's was a money machine globally, lol, you best believe Clive Calder and the publishers made sure they got paid for the music.  

That is why many TARGET BONUS tracks, are not available on Apple or Spotify.  (not all but most) The contract says "hey we will give you this bonus track for a said time and no one else has the ability to get it officially."

There are a lot of moving pieces, some make sense and some don't.  lol.  Some just come down to a contract.  

I see, thanks for the clarification, I haven't checked the Right Now episode yet, I'm still deciding whether I continue picking random episodes, or if I start with the oldest one, or by the newest lol 

4 hours ago, JamesRodriguez said:

Don't know what they are talking about, lol, as I talk directly to the songwriters.  The interviews are available were podcasts are!  The podcast also gives back to charity.  It's been fun, many of the upcoming songwriters have only worked on a single track for Britney but talk about their experience.  (so, lol, they have nothing else to release Britney wise)

I was so lost. I love your podcast! It's so cool to hear from the people behind the scenes. 💖

• Love 1
2 hours ago, CJMCH said:

@aspireone @Roxxy @MSTAR @Lonely2001

Wow my mind is blown over all this dddd. So was the song only distributed as a fanmade single in the Philippines or something?