Britney's Femme Fatale turns 10. Is the album responsible to shape EDM/Dubstep into Pop music latest decade?

DougFrmBrazil

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The question must be what inspired Max Martin and Dr Luke to shape the 2010's music with dubstep pop, considering both produced most of the pop-2011's albums and so on.  

But props to Britney for being the pioneer on mainstream dubstep with Freakshow :schoolingtime_talking_telling_glasses_preaching:

4 hours ago, InZone said:

I don’t care what anybody say, this is one of her three best records!

Her 3 weakest albums: FF, Britney Jean (2013), and Blackout. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Although: Blackout >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the Femme Fatale album >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Britney Jean (2013)

9 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Her 3 weakest albums: FF, Britney Jean (2013), and Blackout. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Although: Blackout >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the Femme Fatale album >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Britney Jean (2013)

Have you just listed blackout as one of her worst albums? 
I can’t take you seriously, sorry.

4 minutes ago, InZone said:

Have you just listed blackout as one of her worst albums? 
I can’t take you seriously, sorry.

It's not bad but you are lying to yourself if you think it's her best work. :ricackle_rihanna_laugh_lol_haha_lmao_hehe:

Oops!..., Britney (2001), In the Zone, Circus, Glory >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. An album who has 5 good songs on it. :shadelaugh_tiffany_ny_new_york_ms_miss_cackle_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao:

I remember when Hold It Against Me came out.....and I really hated it :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile: I felt like it was a really basic song that didn’t really go anywhere or do anything. I also remember feeling like it wasn’t particularly unique, either. It’s still one of my least favorite songs :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek: I like the MV tho

With Femme Fatale I would say it’s about as impressive as Oops I Did It Again. That’s a compliment lol  When I think of early 2000s pop I think the pinnacle and defining moment was Oops. We all know Oops didn’t necessarily bring anything new to the table, but it was the perfect pop defining album that could’ve come out at the time. It came out in a time where it wasn’t necessarily new but it wasn’t anywhere close to being tired. It was just perfect timing. That’s how I feel about Femme Fatale and pop music in the early 2010s. It’s just a pop defining album that didn’t necessarily set a standard but it also didn’t come off as repetitive (don’t mind my own opinion about HIAM, I just think the song is basic lol)

When it comes to albums where Britney was daring to be different and setting trends that is obviously Blackout and In The Zone. I wouldn’t say Femme Fatale is anywhere near there lol it’s a trend follower in the best way it could be. I feel like Glory could’ve been her next Femme Fatale moment (nothing really different sounding from the rest of the music scene, but so quintessentially of its time) but the rollout of the album is what ruined its momentum for the GP as well as fans for it to have any lasting effect.

but short answer is no I don’t think Femme Fatale pioneered anything different or set trends, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s not an essential album for defining the dubstep craze that took over pop music in the early 2010s

1 hour ago, studlygeorge said:

I remember when Hold It Against Me came out.....and I really hated it :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile: I felt like it was a really basic song that didn’t really go anywhere or do anything. I also remember feeling like it wasn’t particularly unique, either. It’s still one of my least favorite songs :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek: I like the MV tho

I totally agreed! The only part i enjoyed was the bridge of the song/dance break.

FF is an album that I genuinely love listening to and I can go through every track without skipping. Wish is rare for any artist’s album. How I Roll used to be the song I skipped but I get it now and it’s definitely grown on me. 

I do think though for an artist like Britney it was pretty generic. It could have gone to any artist really. The most unique song I’d say is Criminal and I’m glad she took the risk of releasing it as a single. She even said herself she hadn’t heard a song like it and I’m glad she didn’t go for an obvious choice of single. I genuinely believe that was her decision.

The album is tainted for me by how “out of it” Britney seemed. During the promotion she was badly medicated to the point where she looked so tired and slow. It’s awful they made her release an album and made her do a world tour despite being so drugged up. This era just showed how little her team cared about her and what lengths they were willing to go to for money. 

1 hour ago, MeAgainstTheMusic_ said:

FF is an album that I genuinely love listening to and I can go through every track without skipping. Wish is rare for any artist’s album. How I Roll used to be the song I skipped but I get it now and it’s definitely grown on me. 

I do think though for an artist like Britney it was pretty generic. It could have gone to any artist really. The most unique song I’d say is Criminal and I’m glad she took the risk of releasing it as a single. She even said herself she hadn’t heard a song like it and I’m glad she didn’t go for an obvious choice of single. I genuinely believe that was her decision.

The album is tainted for me by how “out of it” Britney seemed. During the promotion she was badly medicated to the point where she looked so tired and slow. It’s awful they made her release an album and made her do a world tour despite being so drugged up. This era just showed how little her team cared about her and what lengths they were willing to go to for money. 

I'll agree with that. When I first saw her promo and performance stuff for that era, I thought something was off. And then everyone else was thinking the same thing. :disbelief_britney_surprised_shocked_wow:

I love Femme Fatale but it was quite a trend chasing album in a way. Plenty of other artists around the same time were doing Eurodance/EDM inspired music. Dubstep had already started to become mainstream before Hold It Against Me was released.

Archived