What's the worst dentist experience you've ever had?

dentist-treating-patient.jpg?auto=format

This thread will probably flop but anyways hello b tches with teeth and without teeth :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw:

Okay, so what was your worst dentist experience? Are you afraid of the dentist? Maybe some of you are dentists? Any news about the future of taking care of teeth?

My worst experience was when I had a root canal treatment once and the whole process and experience was long, freaking awful and extremely painful :katycry_perry_crying_tears_sad_sobbing:

Btw I have an appointment tomorrow and I live in fear. I take care of my teeth but I'm scared anyway, especially after last visit. I hate dentist :snapney_tongue_lick_snapchat_britney_funny_p: And I know I'm not the only one :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw: But that'd be so cool to date hot dentist :unbothered_apple_chew_bite_hair_eat_chomp_red:dental.jpg.6cd24200ee99e9681bf971f99cac1e00.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed when I was 19. They didn't put me under, they did local numbing shots. I felt everything and every time I raised my hand in pain they would give me another shot. Eventually after repeated raising my hand in pain, the dentist said that i will feel some discomfort. So i stopped speaking out. It literally felt like i was being tortured and I tried really hard not to, but tears started rolling down my face and THEN the dentist believed me that I was in pain.

He said we should take a break. I went to the restroom and broke down. Eventually the whole procedure was finished and what was worse, I had to drive home and cried the whole way back. This was my first time going to a health appointment without a parent and this was the outcome... I can kinda laugh at it all now but it was extremely traumatizing for many years.

My husband is on my insurance. He was told he needed a root canal.

He told them he wouldn't get it unless it was covered completely by insurance. We were tight on money at the time. We insisted we could not afford it. They insisted it would be covered completely and gave us an estimate.

fast forward to the day. He gets the procedure. We go to leave. They tell us it will be 700 dollars. I said oh he's on my insurance. They said yes, the insurance only covered the first $1000 dollars. 

THEY GAVE ME A BILL FOR 700 DOLLARS. 

I said "but you insisted it would be covered. I have the estimate!"

they said "thats just an estimate"

WELL THATS A PRETTY ****TY ESTIMATE YOU WERE LITERALLY 700 DOLLARS OFF!!! 

I almost fainted in the office. They then "lowered" it down to 400. 

I regret everything. lol

Five months ago, I had one of the molars on my upper jaw removed. The procedure was supposed to be within 20 mins, but the dentist accidentally pulled off just the surface of the tooth, leaving the inner fraction inside my gums. The following hour was hell, he can’t pulled the remains out and had to endure the slight pain because the anesthesia was starting to wear off. And when he finally did, my gums were like slaughtered. As in cracked open. 

It took like three weeks before my gums were fully healed, and that says a lot when I gave a rating on his clinic. :firega_lady_gaga_flames_burning:

14 hours ago, Look But Don't Touch said:

Like this? :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw:

i was still in the chair bit pretty much tbh 

(i faint often tho so im used to it lmao)

12 hours ago, MX3 said:

My husband is on my insurance. He was told he needed a root canal.

He told them he wouldn't get it unless it was covered completely by insurance. We were tight on money at the time. We insisted we could not afford it. They insisted it would be covered completely and gave us an estimate.

fast forward to the day. He gets the procedure. We go to leave. They tell us it will be 700 dollars. I said oh he's on my insurance. They said yes, the insurance only covered the first $1000 dollars. 

THEY GAVE ME A BILL FOR 700 DOLLARS. 

I said "but you insisted it would be covered. I have the estimate!"

they said "thats just an estimate"

WELL THATS A PRETTY ****TY ESTIMATE YOU WERE LITERALLY 700 DOLLARS OFF!!! 

I almost fainted in the office. They then "lowered" it down to 400. 

I regret everything. lol

america land of the freeeeee

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Growing up, my family couldn't afford dental care. My parents owned their business so we didn't have benefits. With that being said, my parents came from a place where dental care wasn't really a thing. So I was never forced to actually take care of my teeth.

Fast forward 4th year university, I knew I had a cavity for a few years at this point. Again, I didn't do anything about it. It hurt so bad that I had to go tot the dentist. From there, they informed me that I needed a root canal. Let me tell you, the dentist had to use 6-7 needles to numb me cause that hurt. Great, fixed, healed.

Fast forward to 2 years ago. I was eating some chicken wings at home, I bit down funny and I felt the same tooth that I had a root canal on like it cracked. I didn't notice anything. The next morning I went to work, I bit down on some bacon, the tooth legit cracked. I went to the mirror and noticed a huge line. At this point, I now have benefits (THANK GOD). I enter the dentist's office for the first time since 4th year. They take out the piece that cracked. 3 days later while I was brushing my teeth, a large portion of the tooth fell off. I was left with a sliver of a tooth stuck in my gums maybe the same thickness of a penny. 

When I went back to the dentist to get the last piece removed, I was aware that I would probably need an implant. However.... 

Dentist: "before we even consider the implant we have a lot of pressing issues we need to solve first before we deal with this implant. 

1. Your wisdom teeth need to be taken out, they're all growing in funny and impacting your other teeth. 

2. On top of your two front teeth, in this xray, you will notice two white squares.. these are extra teeth. You will need braces to make space for these two teeth to come down, once they come down, we will remove it. You will need braces to straighten your smile again

3. Your bite is funny. As you can tell, your overbite is very small. It is causing direct impact to that root canal tooth which caused the crack. We suggest jaw surgery to fix the alignment of you teeth

4. Since your root canal tooth is pretty much dead, that means there is bone loss. We can't just stick a screw in your mouth, we have to insert donor bone. We will need to do a bone graft on you. If the donor bone does not work, we will try again with animal bones, and if not, we will proceed with prosthetic bone.

5. This will be a 2 year process before you will have an actual fake tooth"

____

Great, so I freaked the hell out. I decided that I don't need braces... I mean those two teeth were always there and I didn't even notice, what are the chances that they're going to impact me later (crossing my fingers). Second, I am not getting jaw surgery. So instead I proceeded with my wisdom teeth removal and following through for the procedures of my implant.

Let me tell you, it legit takes 2 years if you actually need an implant with a bone graft. Within those 2 years of the process, I was at the dentist almost 18 times. Pretty much 18/24 months I was there getting looked at and checked. 

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, FLOSS AND BRUSH YOUR TEETH. I do not wish this upon anyone for what I had to go through. But in short, I got my fake tooth 2 weeks ago. It's great :)

• Love 2
  • Super Mods

When they gave me hepatitis B because they didn't sterilize their equipment properly :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand: Me and 7 other patients who got acute hepatitis b basically at the sam time (3 months after our procedures). And hes supposed to be a renown stomatologist - now hes a jobless stomatologist :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

• Super Mods
13 hours ago, dran said:

Growing up, my family couldn't afford dental care. My parents owned their business so we didn't have benefits. With that being said, my parents came from a place where dental care wasn't really a thing. So I was never forced to actually take care of my teeth.

Fast forward 4th year university, I knew I had a cavity for a few years at this point. Again, I didn't do anything about it. It hurt so bad that I had to go tot the dentist. From there, they informed me that I needed a root canal. Let me tell you, the dentist had to use 6-7 needles to numb me cause that hurt. Great, fixed, healed.

Fast forward to 2 years ago. I was eating some chicken wings at home, I bit down funny and I felt the same tooth that I had a root canal on like it cracked. I didn't notice anything. The next morning I went to work, I bit down on some bacon, the tooth legit cracked. I went to the mirror and noticed a huge line. At this point, I now have benefits (THANK GOD). I enter the dentist's office for the first time since 4th year. They take out the piece that cracked. 3 days later while I was brushing my teeth, a large portion of the tooth fell off. I was left with a sliver of a tooth stuck in my gums maybe the same thickness of a penny. 

When I went back to the dentist to get the last piece removed, I was aware that I would probably need an implant. However.... 

Dentist: "before we even consider the implant we have a lot of pressing issues we need to solve first before we deal with this implant. 

1. Your wisdom teeth need to be taken out, they're all growing in funny and impacting your other teeth. 

2. On top of your two front teeth, in this xray, you will notice two white squares.. these are extra teeth. You will need braces to make space for these two teeth to come down, once they come down, we will remove it. You will need braces to straighten your smile again

3. Your bite is funny. As you can tell, your overbite is very small. It is causing direct impact to that root canal tooth which caused the crack. We suggest jaw surgery to fix the alignment of you teeth

4. Since your root canal tooth is pretty much dead, that means there is bone loss. We can't just stick a screw in your mouth, we have to insert donor bone. We will need to do a bone graft on you. If the donor bone does not work, we will try again with animal bones, and if not, we will proceed with prosthetic bone.

____

Great, so I freaked the hell out. I decided that I don't need braces... I mean those two teeth were always there and I didn't even notice, what are the chances that they're going to impact me later (crossing my fingers). Second, I am not getting jaw surgery. So instead I proceeded with my wisdom teeth removal and following through for the procedures of my implant.

Let me tell you, it legit takes 2 years if you actually need an implant with a bone graft. Within those 2 years of the process, I was at the dentist almost 18 times. Pretty much 18/24 months I was there getting looked at and checked. 

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, FLOSS AND BRUSH YOUR TEETH. I do not wish this upon anyone for what I had to go through. But in short, I got my fake tooth 2 weeks ago. It's great :)

Sooo happy for you. I know very well how stressful this can be :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm: I also have a tooth canal but I was lucky enough to not have any of those issues (although I did get it last September) but things look fine for now. But even for that somewhat simple procedure I had to do to the dentist at least 10 times, it's very annoying.

The good side of it all is that you seriously eliminate the fear of dentists when you go so often :shadelaugh_tiffany_ny_new_york_ms_miss_cackle_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao: it literally became like my second home, I became completely indiferent, while everyone in the waiting room feels either fear or discomfort, there I am listening to music or even working on my laptop while waiting for them to call me in :orangu_orangutan_ape:

• Love 1
  • Super Mods
13 hours ago, dran said:

____

Sooo happy for you. I know very well how stressful this can be :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm: I also have a tooth canal but I was lucky enough to not have any of those issues (although I did get it last September) but things look fine for now. But even for that somewhat simple procedure I had to do to the dentist at least 10 times, it's very annoying.

The good side of it all is that you seriously eliminate the fear of dentists when you go so often :shadelaugh_tiffany_ny_new_york_ms_miss_cackle_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao: it literally became like my second home, I became completely indiferent, while everyone in the waiting room feels either fear or discomfort, there I am listening to music or even working on my laptop while waiting for them to call me in :orangu_orangutan_ape:

On 3/9/2021 at 7:28 PM, BUWYGF said:

My dentist gave me Hepatitis B because they didn't sterilize their instruments good enough :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand: so there's that. Took me nearly 4 months of rigid treatment to finally be negative :trash_throw_away_recycle:

10 minutes ago, BUWYGF said:

When they gave me hepatitis B because they didn't sterilize their equipment properly :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand: Me and 7 other patients who got acute hepatitis b basically at the sam time (3 months after our procedures). And hes supposed to be a renown stomatologist - now hes a jobless stomatologist :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

I was about to ask what happened afterwards because this is a serious f-up! What the hell? That's horrible! Did you and the others file a lawsuit against him? How tf did he not sterilise the equipment properly? 

• Super Mods
27 minutes ago, Geralt_of_Rivia said:

I was about to ask what happened afterwards because this is a serious f-up! What the hell? That's horrible! Did you and the others file a lawsuit against him? How tf did he not sterilise the equipment properly? 

Yeah we sued him, he had one of the most popular offices in the capital city and was renowned. When 5 of us sued him, it immediately trigger an investigation with the health department and they confirmed his dentist office didnt sterilize the instruments according to the procedures prescribed by the law, which state that:

• The instruments need to be dipped in the alcohol
  • Any instrument which you use to pull out teeth must be tossed away and are not allowed for sterilization at all
  • After sitting in alcohol for 3-4 hours, the instruments need to be inserted into a special UV machine which kills all the bacteria and possible viruses

What he didnt do is the first step, they never dipped the instruments in the alcohol to sit for 3 hours, and their machine was broken (the UV light didnt work well). In the end he had to pay us all, and they took away his dentist license, and the staff who were in charge of sterilizing instruments also had their nursing licenses revoked. Thank God it was only hepatitis B and not soemthing else (e.g. HIV). They had to test all of us for all three types of hepatitis and HIV as well just in case. You can imagine the stress I went through :wontcry_tears_crying_sad:

39 minutes ago, BUWYGF said:

Yeah we sued him, he had one of the most popular offices in the capital city and was renowned. When 5 of us sued him, it immediately trigger an investigation with the health department and they confirmed his dentist office didnt sterilize the instruments according to the procedures prescribed by the law, which state that:

• The instruments need to be dipped in the alcohol
  • Any instrument which you use to pull out teeth must be tossed away and are not allowed for sterilization at all
  • After sitting in alcohol for 3-4 hours, the instruments need to be inserted into a special UV machine which kills all the bacteria and possible viruses

What he didnt do is the first step, they never dipped the instruments in the alcohol to sit for 3 hours, and their machine was broken (the UV light didnt work well). In the end he had to pay us all, and they took away his dentist license, and the staff who were in charge of sterilizing instruments also had their nursing licenses revoked. Thank God it was only hepatitis B and not soemthing else (e.g. HIV). They had to test all of us for all three types of hepatitis and HIV as well just in case. You can imagine the stress I went through :wontcry_tears_crying_sad:

:lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack: This person, I swear! I'm sorry for the distress he's caused you and I'm happy to hear you've improved and are now negative!

It sounds like a nightmare and unfortunately, all 5 of you will most likely question other dentists' work ethic. But then again, I wonder how he got away with it in the first place. Like, aren't doctors/dentists supposed to be monitored closely about what they're doing and the tools they're using. Ugh. So frustrating! 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block