Remembering Whitney at 9 years since her passing… | A Look Back at Nippy’s Amazing Career

limezd

whitney.jpg.b5e9d398c6dc34b7f1792cd6759a3006.jpg500764ed95d1794ee8a81e58dcbb83bc.jpg

Whitney Houston has been named one of the 100 Greatest Singers of All Time by Rolling Stone and is still the most awarded female of all time, according to The Guinness Book of World Records. 

Whitney has been the recipient of an amazing tally of 415 Awards including 6 Grammy Awards, 2 Emmy Awards, 16 Billboard Music Awards, 23 American Music Awards, MTV VMAs, NAACP Image Awards, People’s Choice Awards, BET Awards & Tribute and more. 

Whitney Houston is the only artist to chart seven consecutive #1 Billboard Hot 100 Hits and first female artist to enter the Billboard 200 album chart at #1 (1987). The only artist with seven multi-platinum albums and 170 million combined in albums, singles, and videos sold worldwide…

We Celebrate Her, Nine Years from the Day We Loss Her. 

UB Takes a Look Back at Whitney’s Amazing Career!

121203084211-whitney-a-tribute-to-an-ico

220px-Whitney_Houston_-_Whitney_Houston_

Whitney Houston (1985) 
• Whitney’s debut album yielded three consecutive #1 singles: “Saving All My Love For You,” “How Will I Know,” and” The Greatest Love Of All.” 

• Whitney Houston was #1 for 14 weeks and the most commercially successful debut album by a female artist for 13 years. 

• Whitney Houston is certified 13 times Platinum. 

Whitney_Houston_-_Whitney_(album).jpg

Whitney (1987) 
• With the release of her second album, Whitney, Houston became the first female artist to enter the Billboard album charts at #1. 

• The album was certified 9 times platinum, which allowed Whitney to surpass the Beatles and the Bee Gees as the artist with the most consecutive #1 hits

im-your-baby-tonight.jpg?w=430

I’m Your Baby Tonight (1990) 
• I’m Your Baby Tonight, Whitney’s third album, sold 8 million copies worldwide and featured #1 hits “I’m Your Baby Tonight,” and “All The Man That I Need.” 

• I’m Your Baby Tonight was certified four times platinum

image-asset.jpeg

The Bodyguard (1992) 
• The Bodyguard soundtrack (featuring six Whitney Houston songs) is one of the top 10 biggest-selling albums of all time, selling more than 42 million copies worldwide. 

• Whitney’s version of Dolly Parton’s “I Will Always Love You” is one of the biggest-selling singles of all-time with over 10 million copies sold. The single was awarded two Grammy Awards for Best Female Pop Vocal and Record of the Year

220px-VA-Waiting_to_Exhale_(album_cover)

Waiting to Exhale (1995) 
• The soundtrack for Waiting to Exhale featured three Whitney tracks including her hit “Exhale (Shoop Shoop),” “Why Does It Hurt So Bad,” and “Count on Me.” 

• The album spent five weeks at #1, was certified 7 times platinum in the U.S., and has sold nearly twice that worldwide to date. 

61M33Mo0kKL._SL1050_.jpg

The Preacher’s Wife Soundtrack (1996) 
• Biggest-selling gospel album in Billboard chart history, certified 3 times platinum in the U.S. alone

Whitney_Houston_-_My_Love_Is_Your_Love_a

My Love is Your Love (1998) 
• Whitney released her first non-soundtrack album in eight years with My Love Is Your Love. She produced the album with Clive Davis and proved that she could remain contemporary with her #1 R&B/#2 Pop single “Heartbreak Hotel” featuring Faith Evans and Kelly Price. 

• The multi-platinum My Love is Your Love produced the Grammy-winning single “It’s Not Right But It’s Okay.

71n6Q98+7jL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Greatest Hits (2000) 
• The double CD collection encompassed Whitney’s success as a mainstay on the pop and R&B singles charts and featured her #1 hits “Greatest Love of All,” “ Run To You,” and” I Have Nothing.

Whitney_Houston-_Just_Whitney_Cover.jpg

Just Whitney… (2002) 
• The 5th studio album, Just Whitney, reached platinum status and featured a remake of the Debby Boone classic “You Light Up My Life

whitney-houston-2003-album-one-wish-the-

One Wish: The Holiday Album (2003) 
• This collection of songs was Whitney’s first ever holiday album and sold over 500,000 copies.

• The track “Little Drummer Boy” featured a guest appearance from Whitney’s daughter Bobbi Kristina Brown

mQbQ9HnqN988BaZGyc2VlNJP54otGNZJoGRHeGFi

I Look To You (2009) 
• The release of album title track was the highest debut at Urban Radio by a female artist. 

• The Alicia Keys and Swizz Beatz written and produced retro hit “Million Dollar Bill” received instant airplay at Pop & Rhythm stations. 

• The album included a star-studded line up of producers and writers including Alicia Keys, Swizz Beatz, R. Kelly, Akon, Diane Warren, David Foster, Stargate, Harvey Mason Jr., and Johnta Austin

SLIDE_024_V1_wk2_.jpg?resize=1100,1374&s

220px-The_Bodyguard_1992_Film_Poster.jpg

The Bodyguard (1992) 
• Whitney made her movie debut in The Bodyguard, in which she co-starred with Oscar-winning
actor/director Kevin Costner. The film broke box office records worldwide and the soundtrack was the
biggest selling motion picture soundtrack album of all time and won the Grammy Award for Album of
the Year. 

17406.jpg

Waiting To Exhale (1995) 
• Whitney starred in the movie Waiting to Exhale with Angela Bassett, Loretta Devine, and Lela Rochon,
under the direction of Forrest Whitaker. The film grossed over $70 million. 

MV5BOWFiMGMzYmYtMGZjNy00ZWVkLTllMjAtMTQ2

The Preacher’s Wife (1996) 
• Whitney’s third motion picture, the Academy Award nominated The Preacher’s Wife, featured Whitney
alongside Denzel Washington and Courtney B. Vance, under the direction of Penny Marshall. 

37ecc31c-05f5-4a44-b329-4e5c10e675ce-Cin

Cinderella (1997) 
• Houston made her Executive Producer debut in the made-for-television movie remake of Roger and
Hammerstein’s Cinderella. The classic children’s story was produced through her production company
BrownHouse Productions. Houston also starred in the movie as the Fairy Godmother, and was
instrumental in casting R&B singer Brandy for the part of Cinderella, while Bernadette Peters and Whoopi
Goldberg rounded out the cast. 

The program drew in 60 million viewers in the U.S., and it gave the ABC
network its highest Sunday night rating in over a decade. The movie was nominated for seven Emmy
awards including Outstanding Variety, Musical, or Comedy. The home video version broke records and
became the best-selling video ever of a made-for-television movie. 

415LgnFZdIL._AC_.jpg

Sparkle (2011)

• Whitney Produced a remake of the film “Sparkle,” being her final project. Along with TD Jakes and Mara Brock Akil.

MV5BMTU5NzEzMDUxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTU1

MV5BODljNTU2ZGMtMWI5Yy00MGNkLTg2MTktN2Nh

MV5BMjY1ZjRjNjQtY2YyMy00NmMxLTkxNDAtYjZm
MV5BNzdjNDk0NzItNDJlMS00NGUwLWE2NTUtMjI5

Executive Producer Credits:
• Whitney continued her successful stint as an Executive Producer of the prominent children’s films
Princess Diaries, Princess Diaries 2, Cheetah Girls, Cheetah Girls 2 & Sparkle through her BrownHouse Productions
company. 

whitney4343.jpg?w=795&ssl=1

• Whitney launched the Whitney Houston Foundation For Children Inc. in 1989 as a non-profit organization that cares for issues regarding homelessness, children with cancer and AIDS, and other issues of self-empowerment. 

• The foundation was awarded a VH1 Honor for its charitable work. Funds have been raised for numerous causes involving children around the world. 

• The foundation generated over $300,000 for the Children’s Defense Fund as a result of a 1997 HBO concert. 

• In 1994, Whitney donated a portion of the proceeds from her One South Africa tour to various South African children’s charities through her foundation. 

• Whitney’s efforts earned her recognition from such organizations such as St. Jude Children’s Hospital, the United Negro College Fund, and the Children’s Diabetes Foundation. 

• In the aftermath of the World Trade Center disaster of September 11, 2001, Whitney’s soaring rendition of “The Star Spangled Banner” (from Greatest Hits) was the first benefit single to be issued, coupled with her version of “America the Beautiful.” 

The Whitney Houston Foundation For Children, Inc. and Arista Records agreed to donate royalties and net proceeds from all single sales to the New York Firefighters 9-11 Disaster Relief Fund and the New York Fraternal Order of Police. Both groups as well as the families of those affected by the tragic event were to benefit from the sales.

Today and Everyday, We Celebrate and continue to Miss Our Nippy!

Source: urbanbridgez.com

• Love 4

My favourite singe. Oh how I miss her! She’s still slaying from the grave with hits like Higher Love and the induction into the R&R Hall Of Fame and endless album and single certifications since her passing. She was truly unique.

I had a chance to see her live in 1998 in Berlin. It was a night I’ll never forget! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

this is my favorite song of hers, I think

Great choice. Run To You is my favourite.

I Wanna Dance With Somebody has been gaining a lot of popularity over the last few years. It’s on a track to become her signature song overtaking  I Will Always Love You.

Her movie bio is going to be title I Wanna Dance With Somebody, and they are about to shoot this year. 

Can’t wait!

2 minutes ago, limezd said:

Great choice. Run To You is my favourite.

I Wanna Dance With Somebody has been gaining a lot of popularity over the last few years. It’s on a track to become her signature song overtaking  I Will Always Love You.

Her movie bio is going to be title I Wanna Dance With Somebody, and they are about to shoot this year. 

Can’t wait!

I also love this one

I was born in the 90s, and I'm not a huge fan of the 80's in general, but for some reasons certain songs like these make me feel some sort of nostalgia that I can't really explain :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I also love this one

I was born in the 90s, and I'm not a huge fan of the 80's in general, but for some reasons certain songs like these make me feel some sort of nostalgia that I can't really explain :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

Your parents probably listened to it so it stuck with you. Maybe. Plus there was no escaping her music be in the day. 

• Like 1

Honestly nobody is ever gonna come close to her vocally , in her prime she was the most gifted singer I've ever heard in my life , flawless , still love her music and I'm stunned by her powerful voice everytime I hear her sing :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: she was the voice .

And PS she literally slayed the USA national anthem , nobody will ever top her rendition.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block