Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett's new jazz album 'Love For Sale' out now

This is incredibly sad and devastating for Tony's family. I won't pretend to know what he would have wanted when his mind was sound but Tony was always such a lively strong presence, I have a hard time believing he'd want this to be documented as part of his legacy. 

Just as with Britney, I don't see why it's so necessary to force someone who is apparently struggling, confused, and feeble-minded to record an album. Obviously, I don't think Britney is actually this mentally handicapped but if I take issue with her being exploited, then I'd be a hypocrite to not point out a similar situation. The whole thing makes me uncomfy. 

• Love 3
  • Like 2

If he wants to record another duet album fine 👏, but displaying his deteriorating health in a documentary for money, promo and “entertainment” reasons is a bit exploitative imo 🤌. Is he even cognitively aware to say no and set boundaries given his speech is impaired from the disease among other things? Managers should respect his privacy and legacy and not put a spotlight on his disease cuz I don’t think he is capable of reflecting and making personal decisions for himself anymore :britstare11_britney_ftr_for_the_record_annoyed_tired_irritated_sigh:

• Love 5
  • Super Mods

I honestly didn’t enjoy Cheek 2 Cheek that much, I’m not into jazz but the guy has been putting out lots of albums consistently so I can see him wanting to continue working till he literally drops dead. Some people are that passionate about what they do and I can definitely see Britney being the same way. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, MortalMarshmallow said:

If he wants to record another duet album fine 👏, but displaying his deteriorating health in a documentary for money, promo and “entertainment” reasons is a bit exploitative imo 🤌. Is he even cognitively aware to say no and set boundaries given his speech is impaired from the disease among other things? Managers should respect his privacy and legacy and not put a spotlight on his disease cuz I don’t think he is capable of reflecting and making personal decisions for himself anymore :britstare11_britney_ftr_for_the_record_annoyed_tired_irritated_sigh:

This. And here comes GAGa and her fake pandering once again. She is the most inauthentic person on the planet. Always playing the victim on someone else’s benefit. 

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Like 2

I’m actually excited for her to do this. I know I’m not usually that big of a fan of jazz music but I think it would be good for her legacy because jazz music is always in style. Jazz is timeless. And who better to do it with then the legendary icon himself, Mr Tony Bennett.

Wishing them both all the best. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, MortalMarshmallow said:

Girl, the article is ******* from AARP magazine, and its an article about him and his battle. That magazine is literally for people who are older and are actually dealing with this ****. Spreading awareness is very important. I don't think you can even try to categorize the article as being done for "money, promo or entertainment", its about awareness.

• Love 1
  • Like 5
56 minutes ago, MamboDoesItBetter said:

This. And here comes GAGa and her fake pandering once again. She is the most inauthentic person on the planet. Always playing the victim on someone else’s benefit. 

In the end, this has been spoken about since the release of the first one. It's his team that approved it. It seems more like something he wants to do before his condition worsens.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jordan Miller said:

I actually viewed this differently. I think it's incredibly powerful and inspirational. There's no shame with wanting to continue to make iconic jazz music while he still has time on this planet. He's a legend. He shouldn't go quietly into the night. He could inspire other families dealign with something similar. I don't feel as if he's being exploited. He's around people that want nothing but the best for him. I don't see them trying to squeeze a few extra coins out of him. IDK maybe I'm naive. Either way this totally bummed me out. 

I agree that it's a powerful message and tremendously sad, and I hope you're right about the people around him and their intentions. The article's description of his struggle with the disease paints a grim picture of his deteriorating mental state, so naturally, it begs the question of how much consent Tony is capable of giving to his participation in this project. It seems he's struggling to remember major events in his life and his ability to communicate is hindered. Just as you say there's no shame in wanting to continue making music till the end, I'll add that there's also no shame in questioning the intentions of those that stand to gain from his work. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Pow!Bam!Zap! said:

Girl, the article is ******* from AARP magazine, and its an article about him and his battle. That magazine is literally for people who are older and are actually dealing with this ****. Spreading awareness is very important. I don't think you can even try to categorize the article as being done for "money, promo or entertainment", its about awareness.

I’m not talking about the article or magazine, I’m talking about the “In raw documentary footage of the sessions...” of which they refer to.

I’m having issues with a supposed documentary displaying his disease like they are describing, I’m not having issues with an article, as I said in my original post as well. Understand now? 

• Like 2

That is really sad, my grandmother and several of her sisters suffered this at the end of their lives :sobbing_unbelievable_wow_head_shake_no_crying_sobbing_sad:

However, I've read and seen some videos about the effect music has in patients with Alzheimer. Though momentarily, people have been seen to recover a bit of lucidity after listening to music they used to listen to when they were younger. There's several documentaries about it.

Apparently music has such a magical effect that it doesn't only activate one region of the brain, as it happens with specific activities such as reading, talking, moving, etc, but instead it stimulates multiple regions of the brain at once.

• Love 1
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Haha-Hehe-Haha-Ho said:

This is incredibly sad and devastating for Tony's family. I won't pretend to know what he would have wanted when his mind was sound but Tony was always such a lively strong presence, I have a hard time believing he'd want this to be documented as part of his legacy. 

Just as with Britney, I don't see why it's so necessary to force someone who is apparently struggling, confused, and feeble-minded to record an album. Obviously, I don't think Britney is actually this mentally handicapped but if I take issue with her being exploited, then I'd be a hypocrite to not point out a similar situation. The whole thing makes me uncomfy. 

I actually think it is amazing this is gonna be showcased to show awareness of this illness. I do not agree with what you said. I do have a very close and hurtful experience with that illness, and let me tell you that the patient is allowed to decide what he/she wants to do. Being a good decision or not is something else, but just to assure you that there would not be a way of forcing someone with Alzheimers to do something they do not want to do. They tend to speak their minds more freely, is like going back to being a children, and we all know what a children is like when he does not want to do something.

The difference, a children has memory working fully and you can trick them into doing something. A  patient of Alzheimer's does not. So it is either they want to do it, or they will not.

This being said, Britney's case with Alzheimer's it is not comparable.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, THE_MIKY said:

I actually think it is amazing this is gonna be showcased to show awareness of this illness. I do not agree with what you said. I do have a very close and hurtful experience with that illness, and let me tell you that the patient is allowed to decide what he/she wants to do. Being a good decision or not is something else, but just to assure you that there would not be a way of forcing someone with Alzheimers to do something they do not want to do. They tend to speak their minds more freely, is like going back to being a children, and we all know what a children is like when he does not want to do something.

The difference, a children has memory working fully and you can trick them into doing something. A  patient of Alzheimer's does not. So it is either they want to do it, or they will not.

This being said, Britney's case with Alzheimer's it is not comparable.

Thanks for the insight. I am not very familiar with the disease so you bring up some things I hadn't considered. Making music is his passion and life's work, so if it brings him joy and comfort in these times then I suppose there's no harm in it if it brings joy to his many fans. Even so, what may be his final recordings will come to be extremely valuable, and whenever there's large sums of money on the table there's the potential for abuse. You may not think there's no abuse in this situation, but the truth is that we cannot know for sure (just like in Britney's case) without the proper facts. I'm not saying there definitely is abuse going on, all I'm saying is that's a tricky scenario and his handlers should be held to a stringent burden of proof when it comes to making a terminally ill man work. What we've learned from Britney's example is that this stringent burden of proof is non-existent and unenforceable because legal protections for people like them are inadequate, and that's what worries me. 

You can love that he's doing this for his fans and also express concern about his ability to consent to it. They're not mutually exclusive ideas.  

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block