This Day in Pop: Do Somethin' video leaks online in 2005 (January 18)

5 hours ago, Bundy said:

Supermassive Blackhole has been compared to and thought to bear similarity with Do Something by Britney Spears.

When this was mentioned in an interview with 4Music, Bellamy said "I heard someone who did a sort of morph between the two and I went 'oh God blimey that is quite similar isn't it.' And uh I think it's quite, you know... It's nice to be compared to Britney Spears.. I think it's a good vibe."

I wanna hear that mash-up. Love both songs lol

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Goten21 said:

She resigned in 2012 after her contract ended with Femme Fatale.

https://clizbeats.com/is-britney-spears-in-search-of-a-new-record-deal08101201/

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/480544/la-reid-courts-britney-spears-for-record-deal

Britney signed an 8 studio album deal (meaning compilation albums are not included) with Jive and then renegotiated her contract after Jive merged into RCA, making it only 7 in total. Hence why the record deal ended after Femme Fatale. I found several people backing this up throughout the years, but I wasn't able to find a direct source (also I didn't look for that long haha)

Contracts were beyond awful back in the 90s/early 2000s. There's honestly not that much reason to assume what you guys are assuming. Britney would've left if she easily could've and it's very apparent with the way she was talking about Jive at the time.

Jive made her release Britney (the album) as a mixture of Crossroads and the actual album vibe they were gonna go with. Jive wanted I Got That Boom Boom as the first single and then even as the second single. They pushed for Outrageous as a single. Britney had to negotiate for Touch Of My Hand and Breathe On Me to even make the cut. She had to push for Me Against The Music and Toxic as singles. She had to push for Do Somethin' and My Prerogative as well, as seen in the OP. Again, if what you guys are assuming is true, Britney would've ended the contract 100%. There'd also be traceable articles of people trying to snatch Britney away from Jive if her record deal ended around that time.

8 studio album deal ? That doesn't make any sense.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, Louis-j said:

it's so hard to find **** about this tbh

This is the only thing I could find pointing towards the things that the users I quoted said, which is a fake allure quote.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, her record deal ended after Britney Jean like the articles I've posted show (I said Femme Fatale originally but I wasn't reading the articles properly lol)

https://muumuse.com/2012/08/daily-b-britneys-record-contract-is-ready-to-be-renewed-and-everyone-wants-a-piece-of-b.html/

After seven studio albums, Britney’s deal with Jive, now Sony/RCA Records, will end after the release of her impending eighth studio album. And according to The Hollywood Reporter‘s Shirley Halperin, there’s a whole lot of people who want a piece of B if/when she starts considering a new record contract, including Epic Records president and fellow X Factor judge L.A. Reid and former Jive leader, Barry Weiss, now the head of Universal Republic and Island Def Jam Motown.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Goten21 said:

She resigned in 2012 after her contract ended with Femme Fatale. (edit: insiders were taking notice of Britney's contract ending after one more album. This was around 2012, which means Britney Jean is the last album. My bad)

https://clizbeats.com/is-britney-spears-in-search-of-a-new-record-deal08101201/

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/480544/la-reid-courts-britney-spears-for-record-deal

Britney signed an 8 studio album deal (meaning compilation albums are not included) with Jive and then released her last album with RCA Britney Jean. She clearly didn't care about Britney Jean, and maybe it was only released to get her out of the contract. I found several people backing this up throughout the years, but I wasn't able to find a direct source (also I didn't look for that long haha)

Contracts were beyond awful back in the 90s/early 2000s. There's honestly not that much reason to assume what you guys are assuming. Britney would've left if she easily could've and it's very apparent with the way she was talking about Jive at the time.

Jive made her release Britney (the album) as a mixture of Crossroads and the actual album vibe they were gonna go with. Jive wanted I Got That Boom Boom as the first single and then even as the second single. They pushed for Outrageous as a single. Britney had to negotiate for Touch Of My Hand and Breathe On Me to even make the cut. She had to push for Me Against The Music and Toxic as singles. She had to push for Do Somethin' and My Prerogative as well, as seen in the OP. Again, if what you guys are assuming is true, Britney would've ended the contract 100%. There'd also be traceable articles of people trying to snatch Britney away from Jive if her record deal ended around that time.

Ah well that makes sense. If she did sign an eight album deal (that only counted studio albums) then I don’t see how she could have left Jive easily in 2004/2005. I only assumed five because I thought it added up with her contract ending after Britney Jean’s release, and an eight album deal is a lot for a new artist to sign.

• Love 2
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, Goten21 said:

it's so hard to find **** about this tbh

This is the only thing I could find pointing towards the things that the users I quoted said, which is a fake allure quote.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, her record deal ended after Britney Jean like the articles I've posted show (I said Femme Fatale originally but I wasn't reading the articles properly lol)

https://muumuse.com/2012/08/daily-b-britneys-record-contract-is-ready-to-be-renewed-and-everyone-wants-a-piece-of-b.html/

After seven studio albums, Britney’s deal with Jive, now Sony/RCA Records, will end after the release of her impending eighth studio album. And according to The Hollywood Reporter‘s Shirley Halperin, there’s a whole lot of people who want a piece of B if/when she starts considering a new record contract, including Epic Records president and fellow X Factor judge L.A. Reid and former Jive leader, Barry Weiss, now the head of Universal Republic and Island Def Jam Motown.

Lou knew not to let Britney get to these two. Britney probably would’ve received help from them especially Barry 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Louis-j said:

6 hours ago, Isla said:

Ah well that makes sense. If she did sign an eight album deal (that only counted studio albums) then I don’t see how she could have left Jive easily in 2004/2005. I only assumed five because I thought it added up with her contract ending after Britney Jean’s release, and an eight album deal is a lot for a new artist to sign.

8 or 7 studio albums is hard to believe.   But if that was really the case then she was ALWAYS going to have serious issues.

But there is still no definitive answer about her original  contract. 

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, zxcvb said:

8 or 7 studio albums is hard to believe.   But if that was really the case then she was ALWAYS going to have serious issues.

But there is still no definitive answer about her original  contract. 

I've always heard she had two contracts, whether the first one was for 4 or 5 albums, I don't know, and I never found any source, but that's like, what all the older fans used to say back in the day.

What I do believe is that compilations don't count, because between FF and BJ with had one or two compilations, I think it was the Remixes vol 2 and the Essentials? and they didn't add up to terminate her contract earlier. 

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I've always heard she had two contracts, whether the first one was for 4 or 5 albums, I don't know, and I never found any source, but that's like, what all the older fans used to say back in the day.

What I do believe is that compilations don't count, because between FF and BJ with had one or two compilations, I think it was the Remixes vol 2 and the Essentials? and they didn't add up to terminate her contract earlier. 

People used to say that back in the day because she released her greatest hits so shortly after in the zone, so it seemed like she was doing that to get out of her contract. There were also leaks of her talking about reconsidering, but nothing's ever been released officially as far as I know. It's honestly hard to believe Britney would resign with Jive, especially 2005ney.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Goten21 said:

People used to say that back in the day because she released her greatest hits so shortly after in the zone, so it seemed like she was doing that to get out of her contract. There were also leaks of her talking about reconsidering, but nothing's ever been released officially as far as I know. It's honestly hard to believe Britney would resign with Jive, especially 2005ney.

not then, but "she" could've signed again after Blackout, or you know, her conservator, if the original contract was for 5 albums

it's just that 8 records deal sound just as crazy for someone that just started :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:  I mean, she was signed before BOMT even existed 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, PokemonSpears said:

not then, but "she" could've signed again after Blackout, or you know, her conservator 

it's just that 8 records deal sound just as crazy for someone that just started :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:  I mean, she was signed before BOMT even existed 

The only thing that I was able to find is that she was signed with a 90 day gracing period, meaning that the label could potentially take back their offer.

I also saw someone state that record deals back then were just crazy long like that.

For comparison, here's what I could find about others:

Rihanna signed a 6 album record deal and that was in 2005 when the industry had already improved a little, and this is official information.

Lady Gaga's documents were leaked and she only had to do 5, but this was over a decade later from Britney's contract.

Mariah Carey was looking for different options after 7 albums, which might mean that her original contract was probably 7 albums.

Christina's first traceable talk of contract renewal was after her 8th studio album (she ended up not renewing and instead went to ROC)

• Like 2

This song, along with i've Just Begun, are incredibly underrated. A shame it was overshadowed by the mess that was Chaotic & everything else affiliated with K-Fed.

It's crazy to think she found out she was pregnant around this time, as well. Didn't she literally find out while shooting the video, too?

• Like 1
On 1/20/2021 at 1:33 PM, Goten21 said:

It's honestly hard to believe Britney would resign with Jive, especially 2005ney.

On 1/20/2021 at 1:37 PM, PokemonSpears said:

not then, but "she" could've signed again after Blackout, or you know, her conservator, if the original contract was for 5 albums

On 1/20/2021 at 1:57 PM, Goten21 said:

Ultimately, this is at the heart of Britney's problems and where Britney may share responsibility.

She wasn't just 'focusing on her family' during that time (2004-2005).  She was battling her label to release music and to make/release music videos.

Did she really sign a 7 or 8 album contract at the beginning of her career that she simply couldn't get out of or did she have an opportunity to either leave her label or re-structure her current deal in the mid-2000s?

If she really signed a 7 or 8 album deal, Larry Rudolph's career as a manager should cease immediately and the fans should be attacking him as much as Lou Taylor.

But if she had a chance to get out of her deal, and never seized on that opportunity for whatever reason, then she definitely is responsible for those consequences that followed.

• 11 months later...