This Day in Pop: Do Somethin' video leaks online in 2005 (January 18)

On 1/18/2021 at 1:42 AM, Blackout2006 said:

Omg truth tea spill...she was planning to be casted for the James Bond franchise, she was working on original doll that was supposed to bring respect to her name in the industry, she was going to leave Jive and open her own record label, she received critical acclaim for her HIMYM and W&G, she was expected to become a much more artistic an creatively-liberated artist and then Kevin happened :sad_britney_ftr_for_the_record:

On 1/18/2021 at 5:01 AM, MeAgainstTheMusic_ said:

Britney’s team couldn’t take how much control she wanted over her music and must have been thinking of ways to silence her forever. I wish she’d left her label here and moved on like

Kylie did in her career.

By this point Britney had outgrown Jive and needed another team that were going to embrace her creative control. Jive still wanted her to be a puppet and Larry still treated her like a little girl they could control rather than the woman she was becoming and wanting to be free with her choices. Sad

This what I always come back to.  How her life/career 'played out' has more to do with 2004-2005, than 2006-2008.

With that said, how can you really blame KEvin here?  She didn't just focus on getting married and having a family... She was still shooting a music video during this period and battling her label. (Rudollph was fired)

At some point she had to have become aware of the possibility of either starting her own label or re-negotiating her contract.  It's still unclear how this never happened.

On 1/18/2021 at 5:24 AM, Goten21 said:

Unfortunately, she had a 7 album record deal didn't she?

I definitely wish she had just bought herself out of it or something, because they were very clearly holding her back on all fronts.

Who the hell signs a 7 album record deal.  Her deal had to have ended after In The Zone/Greatest Hits...

Can anyone confirm this about her original deal?

• Love 1
  • Like 1
On 1/18/2021 at 3:07 AM, NewDisplayName said:

I love her look and energy in the video So much! 
It took some time for me to love the song thou.. the verses were unusual for me but soon after 4-5 times of listening I loved the whole song.. 

were the videos leaking that way back in the day?! 😄

It leaked on an asian site and it had an asian logo on the corner, people had to screen record it from the website since the player was encripted and we didn't have the tools to rip it directly. I remember the video had the Britney closeup as the player cover and, on the rip, you got to hear the double click sound of the PC that was activating the player.

The quality was low, even for that time. I wish I still had that clip for storing purposes, it was a WMV file, the WoB file was converted.

@PokemonSpears Ruben really thought he was something else... SMH

Britney, come on !! You're hovering in the clouds on a pink hummer with Louis Vuitton interiors?? Please !! Do not co-direct your next music video !! No offense, but we know you can do better !!

>>Download<<
Right Click and Choose "Save As"
Format: MPG Size: 33 MB

Posted by Ruben

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, CJMCH said:

The quality was low, even for that time. I wish I still had that clip for storing purposes, it was a WMV file, the WoB file was converted.

@PokemonSpears Ruben really thought he was something else... SMH

I know, when I read that I was like who did he think he was? :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: 

No wonder why he ultimately turned against Britney years later. Checking the archived site for the Not a Girl video, I see how his tone had already changed by these times in 2005. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I know, when I read that I was like who did he think he was? :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: 

No wonder why he ultimately turned against Britney years later. Checking the archived site for the Not a Girl video, I see how his tone had already changed by these times in 2005. 

TBH he was pressed he was not being given more exclusivities and such, he really felt Britney owe him stuff.

They said he went a way with lots of unreleased stuff under his arm.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, zxcvb said:

This what I always come back to.  How her life/career 'played out' has more to do with 2004-2005, than 2006-2008.

With that said, how can you really blame KEvin here?  She didn't just focus on getting married and having a family... She was still shooting a music video during this period and battling her label. (Rudollph was fired)

At some point she had to have become aware of the possibility of either starting her own label or re-negotiating her contract.  It's still unclear how this never happened.

Who the hell signs a 7 album record deal.  Her deal had to have ended after In The Zone/Greatest Hits...

I actually think her original contract was 5 albums (Baby, Oops, Britney, In the Zone and Greatest Hits: My Prerogative) and then she resigned with Jive for another 5 albums (Blackout, Circus, The Singles Collection, Femme Fatale and Britney Jean). This would make sense as her contract was carried over to RCA when Jive shut down in 2011 and Britney Jean was the last album on her contract at the time. She then resigned with RCA, we don’t know how many albums for but most fans assume it’s 3/4 and she’s only released one album in this current contract (Glory). 

Edited by Isla
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Original deal was with her first 4 albums and the contract ended PROBABLY (but most likely with ITZ) with GH:MP but Britney renewed it

5 hours ago, Isla said:

I actually think her original contract was 5 albums (Baby, Oops, Britney, In the Zone and Greatest Hits: My Prerogative) and then she resigned with Jive for another 5 albums (Blackout, Circus, The Singles Collection, Femme Fatale and Britney Jean). This would make sense as her contract was carried over to RCA when Jive shut down in 2011 and Britney Jean was the last album on her contract at the time. She then resigned with RCA, we don’t know how many albums for but most fans assume it’s 3/4 and she’s only released one album in this current contract (Glory). 

If Britney had a downfall, it's arguably here:  She did not re-negotiate her contract to her advantage, autonomy-wise.

She had ALL the leverage to do so, with her previous success.  Again, we know she didn't just 'focus on her family' during that time.  She still went out to do music videos in 2005 and was battling her label to do so. 

This is the time she should have re-negotiated her contract with advantageous clauses that were not present when she was a teen-early 20s.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, zxcvb said:

If Britney had a downfall, it's arguably here:  She did not re-negotiate her contract to her advantage, autonomy-wise.

She had ALL the leverage to do so, with her previous success.  Again, we know she didn't just 'focus on her family' during that time.  She still went out to do music videos in 2005 and was battling her label to do so. 

This is the time she should have re-negotiated her contract with advantageous clauses that were not present when she was a teen-early 20s.

Exactly. Tbh, there was so many signs around late 2004/early-mid 2005 she was going to leave Jive but it never happened. I'm not sure what happened to make her resign or when this happened.

3 hours ago, monkeystar88 said:

I don't believe Do Somethin' was a proper US single.

It wasn't though. It charted at #100 on the Billboard Hot 100 but only because of strong download sales of the song. I'm not sure why it wasn't a US single, maybe because My Prerogative flopped there?

• Love 1
  • Like 3

I totally forgot to include this part :shocked_what_xfactor_britney_pink_surprised_wow:

The singer told MTV's TRL Monday: "I kinda think she's like my alter ego whenever I feel like being mean or possibly like bustin' people around to get stuff right.. It's kinda easier to be called 'Mona Lisa' instead of Britney."

She also revealed that making her directing debut was a doddle. "It's really kinda simple. It's about going into a club and everyone's just kinda staring at you and you're like, 'get up and do somethin'!' You know? So just trying to get everybody to get up and dance and stuff like that. That's basically it."

• Love 3
  • Like 1
On 1/18/2021 at 6:42 AM, Blackout2006 said:

Omg truth tea spill...she was planning to be casted for the James Bond franchise, she was working on original doll that was supposed to bring respect to her name in the industry, she was going to leave Jive and open her own record label, she received critical acclaim for her HIMYM and W&G, she was expected to become a much more artistic an creatively-liberated artist and then Kevin happened :sad_britney_ftr_for_the_record:

She married Kevin in 2004 

She did W&G in 2006 when she was pregnant with Jayden 

She did HIMYM in early 2008 when she was already under a cship and wasnt with Kevin since late 2006 

:calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what:

Supermassive Blackhole has been compared to and thought to bear similarity with Do Something by Britney Spears.

When this was mentioned in an interview with 4Music, Bellamy said "I heard someone who did a sort of morph between the two and I went 'oh God blimey that is quite similar isn't it.' And uh I think it's quite, you know... It's nice to be compared to Britney Spears.. I think it's a good vibe."

21 hours ago, zxcvb said:

20 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Original deal was with her first 4 albums and the contract ended PROBABLY (but most likely with ITZ) with GH:MP but Britney renewed it

19 hours ago, Isla said:

She resigned in 2012 after her contract ended with Femme Fatale. (edit: insiders were taking notice of Britney's contract ending after one more album. This was around 2012, which means Britney Jean is the last album. My bad)

https://clizbeats.com/is-britney-spears-in-search-of-a-new-record-deal08101201/

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/480544/la-reid-courts-britney-spears-for-record-deal

Britney signed an 8 studio album deal (meaning compilation albums are not included) with Jive and then released her last album with RCA Britney Jean. She clearly didn't care about Britney Jean, and maybe it was only released to get her out of the contract. I found several people backing this up throughout the years, but I wasn't able to find a direct source (also I didn't look for that long haha)

Contracts were beyond awful back in the 90s/early 2000s. There's honestly not that much reason to assume what you guys are assuming. Britney would've left if she easily could've and it's very apparent with the way she was talking about Jive at the time.

Jive made her release Britney (the album) as a mixture of Crossroads and the actual album vibe they were gonna go with. Jive wanted I Got That Boom Boom as the first single and then even as the second single. They pushed for Outrageous as a single. Britney had to negotiate for Touch Of My Hand and Breathe On Me to even make the cut. She had to push for Me Against The Music and Toxic as singles. She had to push for Do Somethin' and My Prerogative as well, as seen in the OP. Again, if what you guys are assuming is true, Britney would've ended the contract 100%. There'd also be traceable articles of people trying to snatch Britney away from Jive if her record deal ended around that time.

• Like 4