Why mexican singer Thalía never had hit success in the U.S. like other latinos?

Thalía had a successful career in soap opera around the world while building a singing career yet like JLo and Shakira she was never able to achieve the same success of her other colleagues.  She even tried singing in English like the colombian native did but failed miserably. Not helped also that she’s married to Tommy Mottola, Mariah Carey ex husband who launched her career. What do you guys think? Do you know Thalia?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXqmjJ58il7HRQpKDFFLuimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQx0MTSA3ttL2mMNomW1Wgthalia.jpg.0af58f0be039e4895d9273d488801030.jpg

• Like 1
  • Content Curators

I'll start with saying I love Thalia she is the first artist I ever became a fan of. However she was just not prepared adequately to cross over into this market. Thalia became just one more girl trying to make it happen.  

As far as her marrying Tommy, believe me when I say that was the best decision she ever made tenor.gif?itemid=5634117 had she stayed where she was at we'd be looking at Thalia as a forgotten pop star from her era. Trust me :staysalty_hands_rub_so_there_blue_walk_away_made_my_point:

What's your fave Thaly album by the way ?

Stream "Ten Cuidao" to keep her relevant 

• Love 4

I wanna be there when you touch fire

The thing is, that Jennifer Lopez is an US artist (Puerto Rican roots from the US) and her songs where in English with a few in Spanish or Spanglish. On the other hand, Shakira focused in the US market and release a bunch of cohesive English albums with songs written by her in English. 

Thalia, only tried to jump in with the Latino boom, and released a very generic English language album with a hip-hop vibe a la J.Lo and it didn't work out for her and she never try again in the US.

• Like 1
  • Super Mods
7 hours ago, Midnight said:

I'll start with saying I love Thalia she is the first artist I ever became a fan of. However she was just not prepared adequately to cross over into this market. Thalia became just one more girl trying to make it happen.  

As far as her marrying Tommy, believe me when I say that was the best decision she ever made tenor.gif?itemid=5634117 had she stayed where she was at we'd be looking at Thalia as a forgotten pop star from her era. Trust me :staysalty_hands_rub_so_there_blue_walk_away_made_my_point:

What's your fave Thaly album by the way ?

Stream "Ten Cuidao" to keep her relevant 

Omg this chorus hits hard :umomg_britney_shocked_wow_omg_surprised_eyes_wide: Which one of the two is Thalia? Blue or red? 

:idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

All these Latin artists like Shakira, Enrique Iglesias, Ricky Martin they all made it big in Mexico first, and then jumped into the US market. So to me growing up in Mexico with so many pop artists that were at the same level as them, in terms of fame and popularity, I never understood why no other was able to do that crossover.

It might have been the record labels they were in, the producers/songwriters they worked with, idk. The songs Thalia did in English were very bad for the most part, same as Paulina Rubio. Fey's weren't that bad, but the album she tried to use for her crossover wasn't even successful in Latin America in its Spanish version, for the change it meant in her style.

Had the US been more open to the Spanish language and culture, it would've been easier for these artists to show their true talent without artificially forcing a language they're not good at speaking or at the time of creating music. 

Shakira had luck that her songs stuck at least with a part of the US market. Tbh, to me her early songs in English doesn't sound any less awkward than Thalia's and the like, but who am I to tell.

I imagine had Thalia or Paulina worked with someone like Max Martin, they could've had a better opportunity at making it into the US audiences, but again, it all comes to their record labels and the people they have available to work with.

About JLo, as I always say it, as a Latin person myself, I don't really consider her a Latin artist despite whatever her heritage is. To me she was always an American artist that sometimes happened to sing in Spanish. She was never present in Latin America, like in terms of promo, or her connection with other true Latin artists and the Latin music scene in general, and when she came to Mexico she could barely speak Spanish. I think her Spanish has become better over the years, but like a million years later. So she made it in the US because she's an American artist singing in English :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Idk much about her but probably because she didnt have the "faded" or wow factor? I mean, nobody really outside of the Latin region knows her, so what impact would she have in the US, let alone Worldwide?

My thought exactly :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

The thing is she WAS famous in other parts of the world besides Latin America and Spain. With her work as an actress, she became very popular in Asian and European countries, and some of her songs were very popular in places like France, especially the remixes. 

So what impact would she have in the US? Well, it should've been the same impact as other Latin Artists that made it in the US like Ricky Martin, Enrique Iglesias and Shakira. All of them, along with Thalia and Paulina and others were very popular in the 90s, before any of them made the crossover. I would dare to say Thalia was even more popular than all of them because of her acting gigs. There are these awards shows I remember where Shakira was competing as a new artist, while Thalia was already receiving a special award for the achievements in her career.

I think the record labels of these Mexican artists just didn't know how to sell them in the US. Thalia and Paulina both released their most successful albums to date in the year 2000. They thought it was enough by just translating some of those songs to English and that would make the trick, but that just didn't work, because the result was awkward. They needed to work with people that already made songs in English, that already had hits in the US

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Joman82 said:

The thing is, that Jennifer Lopez is an US artist (Puerto Rican roots from the US) and her songs where in English with a few in Spanish or Spanglish. On the other hand, Shakira focused in the US market and release a bunch of cohesive English albums with songs written by her in English. 

Thalia, only tried to jump in with the Latino boom, and released a very generic English language album with a hip-hop vibe a la J.Lo and it didn't work out for her and she never try again in the US.

I remember back in 2003, the media saying that Thalia english album was a poor copy of JLo Jenny from The Block. The media killed her momentum.

15 hours ago, Joman82 said:

It's hard to say what my Thalia favorite album but my favorites would be: Thalia 2002, El Sexto Sentido e Primera Fila.

On 11/5/2020 at 2:45 AM, dancewithme said:

Her novelas are legendary

when will Shakira's telenovela? She literally bought the rights of the telenovela so it wasn't broadcasted again :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

I think it's unfair to minimize someone's impact or talent just because they didn't make it in the States. There are many artists around the world that the US sleeps on. I mean, even I only know a few artists from other countries that don't speak Spanish or English, because the general public is very rigged by what is popular in the US.

The US has positioned itself as a great power, not just in terms of politics or in the economical aspect, but also when it comes to pop culture. Everyone around the world knows they need to make it in the States to really become popular worldwide, or to have their worldwide fame recognized, because there are exceptions of artists that make success internationally, but if the US isn't on the list it's as if they didn't exist, it invalidates everything else they've achieved. So it's very disappointing how closed they are to let international artists in, like, without expecting them to change their language, their culture, their image, their style. 

Just very recently is that I'm seeing all these Korean bands for example to actually be considered seriously in the music scene, but after how many years? And still there's people that believe they're just a trend. Why can the rest of the world consume music in English even if it's not our native language, but the US won't consume music in Spanish, French, Japanese, etc? I mean, I understand, they're on top, we're below them, they don't have many incentives to look down and see what we got, but they're really missing on a lot of talented people. And when they do let some people in, I just can't at their choices, like how people like Maluma, J Balvin or Bad Bunny have become these representatives of the Latin American culture, when they literally are the less talented out there, and they make the most horrible music possible. And it's like, ok, whatever, there's people that like that stuff, but we have so many talented people doing pop, rock, electronic music, ballads, so many other genres and styles, amazing singers, amazing songwriters, musicians, performers, so yeah, it's kinda sad.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
On 11/5/2020 at 3:42 AM, Roxxy said:

Why bother having a successful career as a popstar when she's an ULTRA ICONIC telenovela actress - and that's without bias and exaggeration. She literally ended careers with her Maria Trilogy + Rosalinda. She stays unbothered. Thalia has now transcended into "untouchable" status. :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw:

Nah, she tried hard. She tried to be JLo before JLo or Shakira truly happened. 

In my opinion, she didn't have a vision as an artist, you can't go very far without that. She was just jumping into trends to see what could make her "huge" and that was palpable. 

1 hour ago, Bigno said:

Nah, she tried hard. She tried to be JLo before JLo or Shakira truly happened. 

In my opinion, she didn't have a vision as an artist, you can't go very far without that. She was just jumping into trends to see what could make her "huge" and that was palpable. 

She literally did only one album and gave up after. That's hardly "trying". :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

• Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block