Why mexican singer Thalía never had hit success in the U.S. like other latinos?

I feel like the problem with Thalía is that she tries to market herself as Latin for an American audience, when she should actually just be herself. She's a mesmerizing character on her own, she should be more confident in that. Look at Shakira in 2001, she crossed over being herself, the weirdest of them all, and it worked because it was genuine and fresh and different. Now Thalía is doing more songs in Spanish and she's being successful at it, but always in collaboration with someone... Maybe the thing is that she looks and feels too over-produced all the time, and Latin artists are more about being relaxed and genuine.

• Like 2
On 11/5/2020 at 10:38 AM, PokemonSpears said:

About JLo, as I always say it, as a Latin person myself, I don't really consider her a Latin artist despite whatever her heritage is. To me she was always an American artist that sometimes happened to sing in Spanish. She was never present in Latin America, like in terms of promo, or her connection with other true Latin artists and the Latin music scene in general, and when she came to Mexico she could barely speak Spanish. I think her Spanish has become better over the years, but like a million years later. So she made it in the US because she's an American artist singing in English

You just said exactly what I think about Jlo.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Sia said:

She's just not a good entertainer. Her vocals are "okay", she can't dance, she's a bit overbearing and she follows trends, never creates them.

thing is, this is Thalia now, or what she's been for the past two decades lol but when she first started as a solo singer, 30 years ago, she really was the one creating trends.

She had a lot of popularity in Spain because she used to appear as a regular on this show, covering several songs, and people really liked her shows, even if she wasn't a dancer

Her performances at awards shows or tv shows always had a lot of production (for the time) and she was never shy about wearing outrageous outfits. Actually, there are many pictures where they compare outfits that Lady Gaga, Katy Perry or Miley Cyrus have worn in recent years, to many similar outfits that Thalia wore in the 90's.

She did have a lot of influences of people like Madonna when it came to express more sensuality or ***uality in her performances and videos. I think the distinctive thing about Thalia was that she managed to incorporate other sounds to pop music, like the ones that are influenced by Mexican regional music.

Besides that, she had this huge fame and popularity that her telenovelas were giving her.

It all culminated with her 2000 album Arrasando, which was the most successful she's released, and after that the obvious step was just to hit the US market, like her male peers were doing (Ricky Martin and Enrique Iglesias). Shakira did it the following year, but Thalia just miserably failed. I love Shakira, but if you had asked me back then who did I think that was gonna make it in the US between both of them, I would've said Thalia, because she'd literally had been around since forever, and her career and fame were just getting bigger and bigger. Shakira had only put two proper albums out, and now she was here bleaching her hair, and changing everything about her music style which was what actually made her famous back in the 90s. There are people almost 20 years later that still can't overcome that transition between "la Shakira de antes" and "Shakira la güera".

But that was ultimately what worked for Shakira, and Thalia just didn't know how to adapt. But not only that, after she married, she stopped doing telenovelas, she stopped with the daring videos or the outrageous outfits. I don't know how much influence her husband had in that, but for a lot of people is clear that her career was truncated right after she married. I mean, in turn, she doesn't have to worry about selling music or concert tickets, because she has her husband's money, but I think she deserved so much more, and she could've given so much more to the world, but ever since, it's like she's been a watered down version of the artist she was in the 90's.

• Love 3
  • 2 years later...

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block