This Day in Pop: Britney Spears releases her debut single '...Baby One More Time' in 1998

Roxxy

Don't forget. Jive wanted a power rangers type video, Britney knew if she followed that video idea, she would be a joke and a one hit wonder. 

Also this is where record labels changed the age of artists they signed. Before Britney the average age was between 22 to 26. When Britney debuted, that's when labels realised teens preferred artists their own age and it's been that way since then. 

As it shows the hottest pop star is not even 20 but 19 year old Billie eilish in today's climate. That wouldn't happened without The impact of a 16 year old Spears releasing her Debut Single. 

• Love 5
  • Like 1

@Roxxy, actually Simon wanted BOMT for Five, but Max had already given to Britney when Simon tried to get the song with Max. 

According to Tim Bower’s 2012 book, Sweet Revenge: The Intimate Life of Simon Cowell, the song had one further dalliance with a pop act other than Britney. The story goes that after hearing Martin’s demo of what had now been renamed …Baby One More Time, Cowell demanded he have the song for his latest boyband, UK rabble Five. Martin had already co-written Five’s debut single, Slam Dunk (Da Funk) alongside his mentor, the late Denniz Pop, but declined Cowell’s request, saying it had already been earmarked for Spears. “You’re mad,” Cowell is reported to have said. “No one can be successful with a name like that.” As a last gasp attempt, Cowell offered Martin a new Merc 500SL in return for the song. “It costs £95,000,” he added.

10 hours ago, vertovera said:

Yess, do I look younger or older? :airpls_gaga_wheeze_eyes_wide_breathe_lady_lmao_lol_haha_hehe_omg_surprised_shocked: Choose wisely... :yesokay_britney_blush_blink:

You actually look younger in your avi lol it's just that I always feel so weird to know we have Exhalers that were just babies or weren't even born when Britney started her career. I always assume the youngest fans are already approaching the 30's ( like me :yesokay_britney_blush_blink: )

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

You actually look younger in your avi lol it's just that I always feel so weird to know we have Exhalers that were just babies or weren't even born when Britney started her career. I always assume the youngest fans are already approaching the 30's ( like me :yesokay_britney_blush_blink: )

Hahahaha that's funny :cuteidk_britney_excited_laugh_yes_yas_happy_smile: but we exist!! I really would love to be a little older and be able to witness Britney's career from the very beginning. But I was 4 months old when Baby One  More Time was out.  By the way people always say that I look younger and that brokes my heart :tiffsniffle_ny_miss_new_york_crying_sobbing_sad_tears: Because I still look like 18 😢Probably when I am 30, I will look 20s. You don't look like you're close to 30, I can tell that you're 25!!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, vertovera said:

Hahahaha that's funny :cuteidk_britney_excited_laugh_yes_yas_happy_smile: but we exist!! I really would love to be a little older and be able to witness Britney's career from the very beginning. But I was 4 months old when Baby One  More Time was out.  By the way people always say that I look younger and that brokes my heart :tiffsniffle_ny_miss_new_york_crying_sobbing_sad_tears: Because I still look like 18 😢Probably when I am 30, I will look 20s. You don't look like you're close to 30, I can tell that you're 25!!

it's just the filters :clownery_makeup_meme:

I'm 27, but I feel closer to 30's than 20's lol

• Love 1

To think, every Record label outside Jive, passed on her, saying the Record buying public wanted acts like Backstreet boys, the spice girls, etc. There wasn't going to be another madonna or Debbie gibson. 

Even in her E! True Hollywood story (though unlike behind the music, it was her story told through journalist's), one girl said. 

"Working at teen people as the music editor, I was given the press kit, I heard the Music, I was like I went through Britney Spears type pop stars with Paula Abdul, Debbie gibson, Tiffany, all in the 80s. What makes this one different from the other ones. She said, it was the music and the Videos. There was no niche or in Paula's case the MTV trend of epic music videos. "

"Britney was trained in dance, but she never recreated old Hollywood musicals which was Paula's downfall, and each album outside the first two, saw a progression, her third album introduced hip hop and other trends. But my big question is. For Britney to be a Janet Jackson fan. Where is her epic Nod to Rock and Roll, where is her Black cat moment. It's always a let down to me, where is that 4 Minutes of unapologetic rock goddess."

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, popprison said:

Thank you for using that single cover. I wish the other cheesy smiling one could deleted. And wow I didn't know this was released in the fall 1998 and not in 1999 till recently. Btw do you what # it debited on the hot 100 and after how many weeks it reached #1?

Hiyee! The one I used is the official single cover. 💛💜

The song debuted at #17 on the Hot 100 on the third week of November 1998 and went to number sometime in late January 1999, on the same week the album debuted at #1. :barbie_hair_flip_hairflip_weave_proud_cocky:

• Like 1