This Day in Pop: Britney Spears releases her debut single '...Baby One More Time' in 1998

Roxxy

30 minutes ago, YannFrance said:

It's funny how my niece (who is 12 years old currently)Β play that song/video on repeat, that's how you know you're a legend. It never gets old

My sister's also 12, mon amour. And BOMT is alsoΒ one of her faves but her stan song isΒ Sometimes. :makeitrain_britney_blush_headphones_omg_wow_happy:

• Love 5
On 10/24/2020 at 8:10 AM, Bundy said:

Was this Britneys first performance on TV?Β 

Β 

wow, her charisma and stage presence is something else. unfortunately i was onl 5 in 1998, would have loved to be a teen and experience the britney phenomenon in its full glory! but bomt was my first cd i remember singing/dancing along to You drive me crazy...simpler times, bittersweet nostalgia would love a time machine to travel back. no smartphones, no social media "stars" and influencer who all look exactly the same, no celebrity clout chasing uninteresting and untalented people...

• Love 4

I didn’t get the BOMT hype at first as I was a snobby snot nosed littleΒ kid that didn’t like anything too popular.Β 

This, however, Β was the moment I realised she was a star and I started to pay attention

51ZC.gif

4xwV.gif

Β 

I didn’t go into full on stan mode till slave tho

:idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

• Love 5

The 90s cemented six female records

Β 

Madonna best selling solo compilation ever.

Β 

Jagged little pill the best selling Alternative rock album of all time (also was the best selling Album in the US if that decade)

Β 

Wannabe, Spice and the Spice girls

Β 

Wannabe is the best selling girl group single of all time in pure sales, Spice is the Best selling girl group album of all Time, the group itself with over 100 million records sold is the best selling girl group of all time.

Β 

Swedish Ace of Base with 25 million sold of Happy Nation worldwide, plus an Additional ten million of the US Album titled The Sign, have the best selling swedish Album and debut album to date when you combine both albums as The Sign was really happy Nation but retitled by Clive thx to the strength of that song...

Plus Britney spears, Mariah Carey, Shania Twain (Taylor's mother musically obviously)..

Β 

If anything 90s was the decade that women truly ran the music industry.Β 

• Love 2
  • Like 1

I was a huge Whitney Houston fan, and when this came out I did not like Britney because her name rhymedΒ with Whitney and in an article that I read they compared Britneys debut albumΒ to Whitneys music,Β sayingΒ that she was as soulful as her and I was not having any of it. Nah-ha!

Born To Make You Happy made me like Britney and ever since then I loved her and her music.

that’s my little story for the day.

• Love 2
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, limezd said:

I was a huge Whitney Houston fan, and when this came out I did not like Britney because her name rhymedΒ with Whitney and in an article that I read they compared Britneys debut albumΒ to Whitneys music,Β sayingΒ that she was as soulful as her and I was not having any of it. Nah-ha!

Born To Make You Happy made me like Britney and ever since then I loved her and her music.

that’s my little story for the day.

Whitney got asked in 2004, if she and Bobby would cover oops!...I did it again, she was like, just because she covered Bobby's song, you think I a classy woman want to cover a juvenile song. She was pissed at the audacity to give tribute back.Β 

Β 

She said, aren't the critics trashing her rendition.Β 

Β 

Bobby wrote it as a way to say Hi, I'm not the Guy from new condition a teeny bop boy band from the hood, I'm my own person with my own Prerogative. Britney's is getting torn cos she doesn't capture the essence of the song. ..

Β 

So why did he say yes,Β 

Β 

Whitney replied, obviously, he makes πŸ’° off of it as a Songwriter, duh.Β 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
23 hours ago, Roxxy said:

Hiyee! The one I used is the official single cover. πŸ’›πŸ’œ

The song debuted at #17 on the Hot 100 onΒ the third week of November 1998 and went to number sometime in late January 1999,Β on the same week the album debuted at #1. :barbie_hair_flip_hairflip_weave_proud_cocky:

#17 debut for a new singer's first song before the digital era (I know there was internet but no streaming, YouTube, etc) is mind blowing. How?!? That's amazing

• Love 4