New court docs state Britney Spears' conservatorship is reportedly "voluntary." What does this mean for the #FreeBritney movement?

The legal documents say “voluntary” because that’s the legal terminology to use if the conservatorship was not appointed by a judge at the request of a third party (i.e. medical professional). It doesn’t mean she literally volunteered to have the conservatorship. Here’s a similar story to compare: I had a mental health crisis about 6 years ago and I admitted myself to an inpatient mental health facility. My parents are prominent figures where I live with influence and money, and sparing every single detail, they manipulated and forced me into signing over primary custody of my son to them because of my mental health. They told me it was temporary, promised to give him back when I was stable, threatened to bankrupt me with court proceedings and slam me with child protective service complaints until they won and once they won, I’d have no access to my child. But if I signed the papers, I’d at least get visitation. I signed them. Fast forward: my mental health has been stable for 5 years, I finished college, started a great career, can provide for my son and I both and have begged and pleaded with my parents to give my son back to no avail. When I consulted with an attorney he told me I didn’t have a chance at getting my son back because I “voluntarily” signed custody over to my parents. Now in order to spend more than every other weekend with my son, I let them control both of our lives and the paperwork stands exactly as it was 6 years ago. So, if this situation can happen to some random average woman, imagine the level of coercion, manipulation, and threats that forced Britney into agreeing to the conservatorship. When you see “voluntary” just equate that with “agreed to” because that’s what it actually means. As it is, we already knew Britney agreed to the conservatorship, this isn’t new, it doesn’t change anything. I’m just a paralegal and not in CA so I could be wrong, but I believe if it was involuntary a third party would have to petition to change the conservator because most involuntary conservatorships are for individuals who are incapable of doing so due to severe mental, intellectual, or physical disabilities (and sometimes severe substance addiction).

• Like 2
2 hours ago, fays1 said:

Britney did agree to get herself into the consevatorship when it was temporary, so maybe they are using that?

Did she? I mean wasn’t she fighting against it trying to hire that Jon Eardley lawyer? Or do you mean once she was in it she kinda went along with it during Circus etc when she thought it was temporary? All the legal stuff confuses me sometimes :( 

I remember someone posting a theory a few years ago that Britney likes the conservatorship because it protects her from having to appear in court and a bunch of other random things. It keeps like simple for her, and everyone else takes care of the ‘adult’ decisions. I’m sure she would like a little more freedom, but I don’t doubt that she enjoys the benefit of not having to be in certain situations.

On 9/5/2020 at 4:21 AM, ForgetItKaren said:

The legal documents say “voluntary” because that’s the legal terminology to use if the conservatorship was not appointed by a judge at the request of a third party (i.e. medical professional). It doesn’t mean she literally volunteered to have the conservatorship. Here’s a similar story to compare: I had a mental health crisis about 6 years ago and I admitted myself to an inpatient mental health facility. My parents are prominent figures where I live with influence and money, and sparing every single detail, they manipulated and forced me into signing over primary custody of my son to them because of my mental health. They told me it was temporary, promised to give him back when I was stable, threatened to bankrupt me with court proceedings and slam me with child protective service complaints until they won and once they won, I’d have no access to my child. But if I signed the papers, I’d at least get visitation. I signed them. Fast forward: my mental health has been stable for 5 years, I finished college, started a great career, can provide for my son and I both and have begged and pleaded with my parents to give my son back to no avail. When I consulted with an attorney he told me I didn’t have a chance at getting my son back because I “voluntarily” signed custody over to my parents. Now in order to spend more than every other weekend with my son, I let them control both of our lives and the paperwork stands exactly as it was 6 years ago. So, if this situation can happen to some random average woman, imagine the level of coercion, manipulation, and threats that forced Britney into agreeing to the conservatorship. When you see “voluntary” just equate that with “agreed to” because that’s what it actually means. As it is, we already knew Britney agreed to the conservatorship, this isn’t new, it doesn’t change anything. I’m just a paralegal and not in CA so I could be wrong, but I believe if it was involuntary a third party would have to petition to change the conservator because most involuntary conservatorships are for individuals who are incapable of doing so due to severe mental, intellectual, or physical disabilities (and sometimes severe substance addiction).

this.

To be fair her business is very complicated, so i dont think the conservatorship over the estate isnt all that bad. isn't it generating money to last for a life time for her?

It makes sure she is always rich, albeit making others rich too

It's the personal conservatorship that needs to go.