While The born this way ball was a huge success. We need to discuss the Latin American leg was a huge disaster commercial wise.

Spicechinodiva

In 2012 Lady Gaga, embarked on her most extravagant tour The Born this way Ball. 

It covered all markets except Antarctica. 

While it was a huge commercial success. 

One continent is widely known to be a huge commercial and marketing disaster. 

The born this way Ball to date is Gaga's only tour to touch south America. 

But it was a disaster as she wasn't selling out as they expected..

To make matters worse. Madonna announced her MDNA tour in south America for December including markets she never toured like Colombia, and other areas that never saw her. Unlike Gaga her commercial success was instant as she sold out upon tickets going on sale. 

It got worse when Gaga and her team tried to rush ticket sales with 6 ticket's for the price of 1 tickets. The media dragged this stunt. And it backfired..

None of the shows was sold out. 

But live nation did another move that got her worse press. They used the MDNA tour stage to house her castle. 

Let's just say the media had another hey day when this revelation happened.

Gaga's team upon arriving to Buenos Aires, had a major meeting with the Latin American division of Universal. 

According to the press, she was told, she was insane thinking she could do a stadium tour knowing damn well, she's in Madonna territory. 

If it wasn't for interscope intervening. Universal Latin America was actually close to canceling the south American leg of the tour. 

But interscope agreed beginning with Artpop they will quietly release her music, with no announcement or promotion. Live Nation even agreed she Will never tour this region. 

Even her team agreed, this is a market that she lost and isn't marketable at all. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanna see the rceipts!

I´m from South America and Lady Gaga did very very well here. In my country, her concert was way more successul than when Britney came in 2011. 

The attendance for my county was 40,000 (Britney´s was 18.000, the staduim was half empty) in the "Estadio Nacional" stadium for the Born this was tour. Fans stayed outside the stadium 2 weeks before the cocnert and I remember it was all over the news, same happened in Argentina and Brazil.

1 hour ago, Fenixxx123 said:

I wanna see the receipts!

I´m from South America and Lady Gaga did very very well here. In my country, her concert was way more successul than when Britney came in 2011. 

The attendance for my county was 40,000 (Britney´s was 18.000, the staduim was half empty) in the "Estadio Nacional" stadium for the Born this was tour. Fans stayed outside the stadium 2 weeks before the cocnert and I remember it was all over the news, same happened in Argentina and Brazil.

shocked drag race GIF by Robert E Blackmon

If I remember that disaster. :gagasmile:I think the mistake was the places chosen to do the concerts. They bet on the largest stadiums in each country ... if they had chosen smaller arenas or stadiums, they would surely have sold out all the dates.

2 hours ago, Fenixxx123 said:

I wanna see the rceipts!

You can't compare Britney who was 11 years after her peak to Lady GaGa who had her peak barely 2 years before. :icant2: In addition, Chile was the only country in Latin America that did well in ticket sales. It is a sad reality. :mhm:

21 hours ago, Fenixxx123 said:

I wanna see the rceipts!

Despite the worldwide commercial success of the tour, it was not very well received by the South American market. In Colombia, some tickets were sold at half of their original price to increase ticket sales. This generated a wide criticism from fans who bought tickets at the original price; the production company also made an offer to fans who bought tickets at their original price, so they could get another free ticket in the same location and a price adjusted refund, or a full refund. To increase ticket sales of the three concerts in Brazil, special offers were made, one of to include a two for one in some stand locations, and a 10 installments with no interest payment for tickets. In Chile, ticket sales were higher than in the rest of the South American countries. However, the show wasn’t able to sell all the locations immediately, and the production company for the concert had to make special offers 2 weeks before the show to sell more tickets. This included a 2x1 offer in stand locations, and reducing the price in most of the tickets. In Peru, tickets were sold in the original price.

As @SpearsSpearsBrit

Said. Only Chile was the success.

The other's sold out cos of this marketing schemes. 

Fans who bought tickets at the original price demanded from the venues a refund to but tickets at the cheaper price..

She sold out, but not at the market value the other markets had. She sold out cos of cheap tickets. 

Archived