A rant about men who are insecure about listening to "girly" music

One of my favourite things about my husband is that he appreciates my "girly" taste in music.

We saw Carly Rae Jepsen last year, he came with me to Britney in Vegas, he came to Janet Jackson.....and not only does he tolerate it (I ******* hate when guys "tolerate" your music/shows but roll their eyes and insult it) he enjoys the music and can discuss his favourite songs, production, direction etc. 

I think if we were to ever break up, I couldn't be with a guy who refused to appreciate any pop music and female performers. It's just too one dimensional and ignorant. And it's too big of a part of my life to not be able to share it with ma man. 

20 hours ago, Neneleaks said:

Exactly! There was a member here who wrote that if you don't like Madonna and Kylie music than you have no taste and you are a self hating gay person that deserves to have your gay card taken back.

These stereotypes plague my upbringing and now as an adult gay man, I'm getting it now for not being "gay" enough. 

Omg the whole "not gay enough thing" needs to go too. A gay dude is no less of a gay dude if he doesn't want to do drag/paint his nails and do make-up/doesn't want to listen to most pop divas who are hailed as gay icons. You don' get any "gayer" the more feminine you go like ugh :tiffeyeroll:

All gay guys are well... gay lol but we're also all different. 

• Love 5

I always thought about it as a kid... Listening to Lucky with headphones on my discman with my sister's CD, going to record stores and buying In The Zone but asking to wrap it as a present so he won't think its for me... :wontcry:

We can only look for a better future with time and education. My past made me the proud confident person I am and the music I like is the music I like :mcry:

I remember when I was about 10/11 yrs old, one of my classmate (boy) said that he really liked JLo. And every boy was laughing at him saying that its too girly blah blah blah. 

We, girls start to defend him. There's nothing wrong in enjoying female artist music if you are boy. He thank us later, said that he was insecure and ashamed of his choice of music, but us stading on his side helped him grow confident.

Actually after that discussion, boys where more open in playing with "girly" games with us. 

• Love 1

I'll say it's mostly straight men, cos they need that masculine image to be reserved.

Anything feminine is automatically gay and weak in a straight men's eye's.

When I come across a straight man who admits he loves Madonna..

It always takes me back and my mind goes. They do exist. I just thought it was a myth, to get laid by the girlfriend or his wife. 

But let's be honest,

Even glee tackled the male threat of female pop music. 

When Finn said can we do the male version of Madonna, like Pantera or Metallica. Showing that a strong confident woman scares the ish out of them.

I say that's still True. 

Most men marry a woman that they have a say in what they wear or some form of control to create the housewife. Another cliche that still happens to this day. Cos that's how they were raised when admiring their dad and what they saw as the marriage defined by the man of the house. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

icons. You don' get any "gayer" the more feminine you go like ugh :tiffeyeroll:

All gay guys are well... gay lol but we're also all different. 

Exactly. The concept that there are levels to homosexuality (gayer,gayest,ect) is fundamentally problematic and,dare I say,homophobic. It implies there is a way to be "too gay" or not gay enough. People would never dream of speaking about straight people in this manner.

Unfortunately gay men also buy into this and like to gate-keep gayness from others based on music taste,behavior,style,political opinions,ect.:jeanluc:

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

A man shouldn't be called gay or "not a man" for listening to pop music, lol its stupid. Why do people care about a man listening to "girly" music but do not care about the morals of men? Morals and discipline are very important, and you shouldnt be judged just for a personal preference. Is that why other men and 8-year olds call a man who respects his GF/Wife a simp? The truth is that, men who make fun of other men for liking pink, listening to pop music are insecure of themselves and have brains of apes :tired: I hope one day a male artist like Michael jackson will come upon us, do pop music and disco and widen these stupid fools brains. :hahaha:  Its 2020, not 1920, lol bye.

Yep, i hope one day people will realise that real masculinity is enjoying things society deems feminine and not being insecure about it taking away from your masculinity. Had a kid tell me some of my music choice is "Girly" if you're so insecure about the things that I enjoy but I'm not, who's the real "Man" here? :hillary:

Stupid society. 

A man shouldn't be called gay or "not a man" for listening to pop music, lol its stupid. Why do people care about a man listening to "girly" music but do not care about the morals of men? Morals and discipline are very important, and you shouldnt be judged just for a personal preference. Is that why other men and 8-year olds call a man who respects his GF/Wife a simp? The truth is that, men who make fun of other men for liking pink, listening to pop music are insecure of themselves and have brains of apes :tired: I hope one day a male artist like Michael jackson will come upon us, do pop music and disco and widen these stupid fools brains. :hahaha:  Its 2020, not 1920, lol bye.

Yep, i hope one day people will realise that real masculinity is enjoying things society deems feminine and not being insecure about it taking away from your masculinity. Had a kid tell me some of my music choice is "Girly" if you're so insecure about the things that I enjoy but I'm not, who's the real "Man" here? :hillary:

Stupid society. 

Stupid society. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, NotLouTaylor said:

Stupid society. 

Stupid society. 

Stupid society. 

Legit logic. Like, who are they to judge my taste? It’s stupid and needs to go

• Love 1
1 minute ago, NotLouTaylor said:

Totally! I hope one day the world will understand that real masculinity is enjoying things society deems feminine and not being insecure about it taking away from your masculinity. Had a few friends who told me some of my music choice is "Girly" if you're so insecure about the things that I enjoy but I'm not, who's the real "Man" here? **** them ! :hillary::drag:

Girl sorry, but u basically said that in 4 post quoting me :orangu:

Society. Men are also told how to act and are judged if they're emotional or show emotions. It will take a long time to get over this. Or just won't ever change . 

This is why i've always hated R&B genre . Not only is it a horrible genre but it is the only genre "men" are expected to listen to. I have friends whom are straight that used 2 skip or be afraid when you go down their music infront of other it's awful . One of my real "macho" friends strictly listens to R&B ... when i was scrolling down his music 2 years ago i found "I wanna go" and " criminal" and tons of remixes by Britney and Beyonce. 

Would he ever be able to listen to this in his car? Most likely no.  He'll be judged and most likely " questioned" . 

Oh btw this is why Rihanna is probably the biggest female artist currently , because her music could be passed as R&B and isn't "too girly" to which men feel more comfortable enjoying her music out loud. 

It’s really unfortunate.

artists are not innocent either especially those who add so much fluff in an attempt to appeal to the gay crowd, namely gaga which in turn results in growing the stereotype and helps further associating gay people with rainbows, glitter and unicorns 🦄 🌈 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, bas che said:

It’s really unfortunate.

artists are not innocent either especially those who add so much fluff in an attempt to appeal to the gay crowd, namely gaga which in turn results in growing the stereotype and helps further associating gay people with rainbows, glitter and unicorns 🦄 🌈 

That's marketing.

Record labels, in general is a business aspect.

The Fame had to be marketed to the gay community, same with Madonna confessions album, sometimes business has to happen and marketing to a specific audience and mindset is how the money goes into a project. 

Even @Jordan Miller will tell you this. Most record labels market a type of product to a specific audience first 

Prime example Britney's first fully grown up album In the zone, Jive marketed it intentionally to the gay community. 

They knew this album couldn't be marketed to any other community given the ****** content and imagery that was associated to the project, plus they knew parents wouldn't find the music appropriate for the younger audiences that embraced the first two albums. 

They tried marketing Britney to kids and it backfired especially the line in I'm a slave 4 U "I wanna have Six with you" which was proven by a Radio station that it's in the recording. Jive learned from that horrible mistake that they can't market Britney to kids anymore. 

Marketing is a huge part of the music industry promotion. Most projects start with the marketed test audience and hopes it expands by the consumer themselves. 

14 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

They tried marketing Britney to kids and it backfired especially the line in I'm a slave 4 U which was proven by a Radio station that it's in the recording. Jive learned from that horrible mistake that they can't market Britney to kids anymore. 

No, the kids who grew up in the BOMT and OIDIA era, were teenagers in the Britney era. Thats why britney was able to hold relevancy for 14 years, because she was growing musically with her growing audience

• Love 4

In BOMT/OIDIA eras... people made me feel like I was a weird guy because I listened to Britney and that insecurity made listen to her in private. NOWADAYS, and as 90's parties are a trend now, like, everyone in this party in their 26-30's were jamming to BOMT... i mean come one. Why Britney has to be a Guilty Pleasure? Everyone in this party knew the lyrics to bomt and oops and I bet most of these people was ashamed to listen to it backthen.

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block