A rant about men who are insecure about listening to "girly" music

We should also add that music doesn't have language barriers

When I was younger (like 12 to 14) I listened to mostly japanesse indie music and everybody was like ????? and they didn't understand me. Like, listen to whatever you want in whatever language you want honey.

PS: Good message!

• Love 6

Preach! :meryl:

Spoiler

I have to send u a 100 points for this :mimiclap:

I am so sick of that ****. I am a straight boy! I HATE hip-hop, dislike metal, and don’t listen to rock. Yet, I love music genres such as pop and disco, which are genres “straight boys shouldn’t listen to”  :wyd: There’s no point listening to stuff you DONT like and to act like someone else to not be gay . It’s saddening to know that this disgusting and atrocious mentality still exist in this society in 2020! The second decade of the 21st century :lessons: Once, my busmates were looking group my music app, and what I listen to, and then when they saw female artist, there were “Why do you listen to female artist music, that’s so girly” :gunriah: I should’ve replied to them saying“why are you listening to hip-hop albums with a explicit sticker, you should listen to kid bopz” :hillary:  People act like there r so many double standards to women, but NO, men double standards too exist! Why can a girl listen to “male” music, rock and mental, but a boy can not listen to, pop, disco or “female” singers :deadbanana: I just want to live in a society where men aren’t ridiculed for their taste, Colours aren’t based on genders (Looking at you blue and pink stereotype) and just live the way we want to do, then be judged for it by being called a simp or soy boy :typing: If a boy wants to listen to Carly Rae jephsen and Britney Spears, let him be! :lessons: If a girl wants to listen to Nirvana and Travis Scott, let her TOO be :lessons:, No.bo.dy cares :lessons:

Straight male pop listeners, where you at? :lessons:

• Love 6
  • Like 1

PREACH.

I'm a gay dude. I don't like pop music (Aside from Britney and a few K-pop artists), I mostly listen to R&B & Rock music now a days. The latter not being associated with "what gay males like in music" but the whole straight-gay mentality that "decides what type of music you. like" in music needs to go. I'm not any less of a gay dude for liking Rock and disliking most pop music divas, just like a straight dude isn't any less of a straight dude for liking pop music and being fans of pop divas and disliking Rock music and Hip-Hop.

I hate stereotypes so much. Some people fit into those stereotypes but some don't. I'm gay and act feminine but that doesn't mean I like make-up, shopping and painting my nails because those aren't things that "come with being gay"

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

PREACH.

I'm a gay dude. I don't like pop music (Aside from Britney and a few K-pop artists), I mostly listen to R&B & Rock music now a days. The latter not being associated with "what gay males like in music" but the whole straight-gay mentality that "decides what type of music you. like" in music needs to go. I'm not any less of a gay dude for liking Rock and disliking most pop music divas, just like a straight dude isn't any less of a straight dude for liking pop music and being fans of pop divas and disliking Rock music and Hip-Hop.

I hate stereotypes so much. Some people fit into those stereotypes but some don't. I'm gay and act feminine but that doesn't mean I like make-up, shopping and painting my nails because those aren't things that "come with being gay"

Exactly! There was a member here who wrote that if you don't like Madonna and Kylie music than you have no taste and you are a self hating gay person that deserves to have your gay card taken back.

These stereotypes plague my upbringing and now as an adult gay man, I'm getting it now for not being "gay" enough. 

• Love 5
  • Like 1

Yeah, too bad this kind of sexism is too ingrained in many cultures, especially here in Latin America, but it goes in hand with the whole Rock > Pop, Deep voices > high/softer voices, basically Masculine > Feminine

And I don't see it only in men, but also in women. Pop songs, but Britney in particular seems to be the "guilty pleasure" of many. Why does it have to be "guilty" :beynah: ?

• Love 3
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

[...]  

Yeeees! I'm tired of people saying that only gays listen to pop music, like come on, that's impossible. The pop industry gets billions of views, pop music gets so much traction, so much sales, there is no way that all those pop consumers are gay men. I think a huge amount of straight men are insecure about admitting that they're into it. It's soooo stupid because at the end of the day, pop music is literally just another form of entertainment, like movies, video games, animes etc. Some people are truly missing out. Pop music isn't just some catchy ear candy tricks, pop music can be experimental and have substance as well :tiffanynod:

Thank you so much for the points, i really appreciate it, i swear you're one of the kindest people on this forum! :makeitrain:

I couldn't agree more with this post and all the other ones in this thread, i'm glad that there are still some unbiased, tolerant people out there, it makes me feel better and restores my faith in humanity a bit when I see that there are people who are as open-minded as you, compared to all that toxic masc mentality that still exists today, in 2020.  There's no shame in liking catchy, pleasant music. A good song is a good song. I have an abnormally wide and strange variety in my musical taste, so I'm used to being made fun of. I'm a big guy, 6'1", beard, tattoos, but can regularly be found jamming to some sweet Britney jams, J-pop, 70's funk and disco as well. I honestly love pop music It's kind of ironic cause you wouldn't except me listen to that kind of music when you see me irl :hahaha:

When you don't have a fragile sense of masculinity. You realise the music you listen to doesn't mean you're a man or not. You already know you're a man. The older I get, the less importance I put on genre, labels, etc. If it gets my toes tapping its all good with me :barbie:

• Love 2
  • Super Mods

I always openly listened to pop divas as a kid (britney, christina, madonna etc.) and naturally I was called the f word by the whole school. Toxic masculinity has no age boundaries because evidently even 8 year old kids are obsess by it and it is insane.

Also, when I was like 25, this dude told me "as you start nearing your 30s you will be mindblown to see just how many of your ex peers will turn out to be the worst of closetted gays," and I **** you not, my biggest bully tried hitting me up on Tinder lmfaooo. As if, *****:queenflopga:

• Love 1
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, NotLouTaylor said:

Yeeees! I'm tired of people saying that only gays listen to pop music, like come on, that's impossible. The pop industry gets billions of views, pop music gets so much traction, so much sales, there is no way that all those pop consumers are gay men. I think a huge amount of straight men are insecure about admitting that they're into it. It's soooo stupid because at the end of the day, pop music is literally just another form of entertainment, like movies, video games, animes etc. Some people are truly missing out. Pop music isn't just some catchy ear candy tricks, pop music can be experimental and have substance as well :tiffanynod:

Thank you so much for the points, i really appreciate it, i swear you're one of the kindest people on this forum! :makeitrain:

I couldn't agree more with this post and all the other ones in this thread, i'm glad that there are still some unbiased, tolerant people out there, it makes me feel better and restores my faith in humanity a bit when I see that there are people who are as open-minded as you, compared to all that toxic masc mentality that still exists today, in 2020.  There's no shame in liking catchy, pleasant music. A good song is a good song. I have an abnormally wide and strange variety in my musical taste, so I'm used to being made fun of. I'm a big guy, 6'1", beard, tattoos, but can regularly be found jamming to some sweet Britney jams, J-pop, 70's funk and disco as well. I honestly love pop music It's kind of ironic cause you wouldn't except me listen to that kind of music when you see me irl :hahaha:

When you don't have a fragile sense of masculinity. You realise the music you listen to doesn't mean you're a man or not. You already know you're a man. The older I get, the less importance I put on genre, labels, etc. If it gets my toes tapping its all good with me :barbie:

A man shouldn't be called gay or "not a man" for listening to pop music, lol its stupid. Why do people care about a man listening to "girly" music but do not care about the morals of men? Morals and discipline are very important, and you shouldnt be judged just for a personal preference. Is that why other men and 8-year olds call a man who respects his GF/Wife a simp? The truth is that, men who make fun of other men for liking pink, listening to pop music are insecure of themselves and have brains of apes :tired: I hope one day a male artist like Michael jackson will come upon us, do pop music and disco and widen these stupid fools brains. :hahaha:  Its 2020, not 1920, lol bye.

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block