Dumb And Questionable Career Choices That Had Long-Term Consequences

On 6/27/2020 at 5:50 PM, OnlyFacts said:

Nickis nasty attitude is my vote. It started coming out in 2014 when Igloo Azalea  came on the scene. And then the real downfall started when she went after Miley at the VMA’s. That’s allegedly what led to the radio ban according to a few YouTube videos. Then the scandal with her disgusting brother, then she married a predator, collaborated with predators, and then cardi b won a Grammy. Nickis career has been on a decline since.

mtv celebs GIF
Relive Nicki getting embarrassed by Hannah Montana here (watch for the moment Miley looks at Nicki as she says “losers” 🤣):

Also, where was this energy with Cardi? Hmm...

Even tho, traces and signs of Nickis decline surfaced, i don’t think it was until the 2016/Queen era when it was in full-force and peaked

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Isla said:

I think the reason why the album was released independently was because of the sounds she explored on it. It was very psychedelic influenced and a lot the songs weren't very mainstream/radio friendly. I think I read somewhere that RCA weren't happy with the material she recorded for it which is why she was able to release it outside of her contract with them. 

I do agree with Katy Perry though RE: cutting her hair. Things just kinda went downhill from there. 

Yeah but Miley said that she would pay herself out of her contract if she can't release Her Dead Petz. RCA said yes and she released it.

"PCD that one award show where Melody came out of nowhere trying to belt"

On 6/27/2020 at 8:16 AM, IForgotYouExisted said:

"PCD that one award show where Melody came out of nowhere trying to belt"

BIIIIIIIH. It was the American Music Awards and the comments on that video are comedy GOLD. "when melody breaks out of the broom closet Nicole locked her in" dying....

Buttons - AMA Performance

1 hour ago, PuertoRicosFinest said:

She definitely missed her time to capitalize on hollaback girl hype. 

Did she really though? Wasn't Wind It Up a Top 10 hit and Sweet Escape went Top 3? Considering that her second album was arguably weaker than her first, I can't say that I expected better chart positions for those two singles (although I still think Yummy would've gone Top 20 minimum if it had been the third single).

23 minutes ago, Stefani said:

Did she really though? Wasn't Wind It Up a Top 10 hit and Sweet Escape went Top 3? Considering that her second album was arguably weaker than her first, I can't say that I expected better chart positions for those two singles (although I still think Yummy would've gone Top 20 minimum if it had been the third single).

It was successful but I think her icon status lost steam.  She became like a timberlake where a short lived few albums were more of a staple of a time period.  She could’ve been a long lasting artists who dominated the game if she just had a more frequent release schedule. I think her sophomore success was based on being the follow-up to LAMB.  Yummy would’ve been an interesting single tho.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JustLuvMe07 said:

Yeah but Miley said that she would pay herself out of her contract if she can't release Her Dead Petz. RCA said yes and she released it.

Oh I didn't know that. If that was the case then surely she would have released it on RCA? 

Madonna working with Timbaland and Pharell Williams on Hard Candy, wayyyyy after all everyone already worked with them. 

Before this album, she used to be ahead of her time, working with cutting edge producers. 

Timbaland was already mainstream when they made Hard Candy, and the album was average and unsurprising.

Each new album she launched had the same issue. It marked the moment she stopped being a trendsetter. She became late on the music trends, doing things that already existed with other singers...

• Like 2
4 hours ago, BabyBabyBay said:

I honestly think Britney should have gone in a different direction with Femme Fatale. Image and sound wise. And they should've perhaps waited a few more months until she was in a better mental place.

She started lacking credibility because her dancing was starting to fall flat and she didn't have anything else to fall back on.

Yes I know that it produced 3 top 10s in the US, but it still didn't really do anything majorly for the album. It was her lowest selling #1 since BOMT. The UK were already starting to lose interest during Circus.

To me, this is where the GP no longer took her seriously and the decline started from there.

I don't agree at all, actually, 2007-2013 is what helped Britney to still be a thing with the new generation, because a lot of us grew up with these songs being ***** on the radio stations, and honestly, back then, we barely cared about how she performed or whatever.

I'd go with:

- BJ album, perfume: she should've stopped at WB as a standalone single to promote Vegas. she should be thankful that the myah marie mess didn't blow up in the press, it would've destroyed her career. after WB, she broke her hits-after-hits chain. 0 promotion, messy production, etc.

- pretty girls: desperate attempt from her team, one of her worst MVs to date, razzie-award worthy acting

- extension of POM: Glory tanked because of it. how many people left and gave up on her after that announcement? she could've done a stadium tour/arena with new performances and some new production, but instead of that, they went with what was easy. 

- MM MV: it killed glory before it even started. as if they didn't learn their lesson with perfume (scrapped mess) and... pretty girls (cringe moments) 

- Glory cover

- not promoting MM at the BBMAs and instead of that putting a POM-mini show

- POM tour: successful, but awfully ****ty, even her clubs tour in 2007 was better

- Criminal MV: too risqué, it got censored, they should've put another watered down version. and of course, promoting the song, but hey, FF singles barely had promo lol, but it was too much, she didn't even perform the song during her tour

- not using instagram properly, yeah it has an importance, look at JLo who managed to have a Super Bowl half-time show despite flopping harder than Aguilera because of the image that she built. and Britney, you can be raw and real with pictures that are 2020 A-lister worthy, I've seen better quality stuff on facebook in 2009

=> long-term consequence: poor and messy management for everything. a lot of people stopped to care about her music career.

somehow, she's more popular today than she's ever been since 2013. 

Christina Aguilera:

-B2B: the era was not big enough. she didn't perform her songs on big award shows during 2006 and 2007, and she released only 3 MVs. her impact that year could've been bigger and could've saved her career.

- First 4 years of her career: she should've put another album, even though there was Britney at the same time. she could've been bigger, especially since she seemed to be a chameleon a la Rihanna (one era = one look), and it works when you're realising singles after singles (Ariana, Dua Lipa, Rihanna, Taylor Swift)

- Burlesque soundtrack was great (why 0 Oscar nomination? lol, some silly Disney songs managed to get one, but 0 song from her vocal-peak?), but the movie was... meh. And Aguilera was a great surprise acting-wise. But she focused too much on that movie, and... well, it's a movie, not a MV compilation. The scenario was cliché af, and it lacked... acting scenes. Director's fault there. Much potential to be exploited, sadly. 

- Bionic era: the album came too late, and after 'Back to Basics': the era felt uncohesive, the MVs were cheap, the album sounds dated, it has no memorable songs, performances were meh/inexistent on actual relevant shows

- Lotus, Liberation: do I even need to talk about it?

she half-assed her career carelessly since 2006 and took her status for granted. she stopped her recipe that made her success (one era = one Aguilera)

Katy Perry

- people finally got some taste

PCD

- Jai Ho killed the group, it was awkward to perform a 4 minutes song with a mic only to lip-sync to 'Baila Baila' 3 times at the end of the song 

- Nicole being the only singer was ok, but you could barely see the other girls, even Britney backup dancers (in WB) got more exposure than them, if you don't look for them and focus on them you won't remember their faces lol. they should've displayed the others' abilities in dancing more. 

- Melody was put apart after the first album

- their breakup, did they really think that they were going to succeed after PCD?

they're more talented than the "spice girls" & "destiny's child" and had some performing skills, and they made hit after hit, but they needed more impact performance-wise. they're underrated lol, they can dance in high heels and the main singer can put out of nowhere a Whitney Houston song

Miley Cyrus

- had the potential to be the biggest new-generation act, yet did **** after **** on almost every single aspect possible. she should've started better after party in the USA and going slowly. bangerz era was too tacky and raunchy, besides wrecking ball the rest is trash af. let alone that free album that took away her seriousness. and musically, there was nothing risqué nor groundbreaking coming from her

Selena Gomez

- she did great considering how talentless she is when it comes to whispering, acting and performing. feeling sleepy just by talking about her. congratulation, she's the living proof that you don't need talent to be a big singer.

dd lovato

- huge voice, career completely mismanaged from A to Z. 0 recognisable era visually. her only decent hit is heart attack. performing-wise, she still has a lot to learn (singing isn't enough), her MVs are just basic af, and she hasn't been able to build one single decent era.

beyonka 

- she focused on her albums, cool. still, her last decent hit was 7 years ago, each one of her singles flopped after that, because she gave up on that. and the gp is only interested by singles mostly, so... don't expect children & the next generation to know any single besides run the world in the 2010s

- tidal: wtf was that idea? singles with the potential to smash played the bubbling under 100 charts because there was no streaming and no MV, Jay-Z, that was a pity move, nobody is interested by your mess

- she should stop buying Grammys, it killed their image, doesn't mean a **** to have one nowadays, imagine Beyoncé having more Grammys than Whitney Houston, Céline Dion and Mariah Carey reunited :umok: how can I take that seriously

• Like 1

This is just an overall question, about how females artists are microanalyzed down to hair, weight and image. For all the pop male artists/bands, do they go through the same standard? Ed Sheehan, Justin Bieber, Timberlake, The Weeknd, Bruno Mars, Shawn Mendes, Maroon 5, Khalid, Troye Sivan, etc. Do you see any videos of them comparing their sound/image/dance routine/weight over the years? For Britney if you search on Youtube/ or anywhere, you can find countless of those videos, how was she dancing this song back in X year, and comparing it to recent years, and this happens to almost any woman. If they can hit the note, If their new image is better than last, etc. Ed Sheehan has the same t-shirt since the first album... and there is no video on that. 

Why is this done for women, and mostly comes from the LGBTQ+ community, their "flops" and their choices need to be perfect if not they are cancelled and over with in no time. For guys, they have unlimited passes on their careers (creatively talking) and it will always be ok, but woman, not so much.

Just kinda tired of reading the same unbalanced and unnecessary judgment still in 2020. 

PS: I love Exhale and all content here. It is an honest question, on why are we are trained like that? I do the same, I think, new Ariana album, and same image for Ariana, and think, that was lazy, but for Ed, Shawn, they will get a free pass...

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, jonjon2000 said:

This is just an overall question, about how females artists are microanalyzed down to hair, weight and image. For all the pop male artists/bands, do they go through the same standard? Ed Sheehan, Justin Bieber, Timberlake, The Weeknd, Bruno Mars, Shawn Mendes, Maroon 5, Khalid, Troye Sivan, etc. Do you see any videos of them comparing their sound/image/dance routine/weight over the years? For Britney if you search on Youtube/ or anywhere, you can find countless of those videos, how was she dancing this song back in X year, and comparing it to recent years, and this happens to almost any woman. If they can hit the note, If their new image is better than last, etc. Ed Sheehan has the same t-shirt since the first album... and there is no video on that. 

Why is this done for women, and mostly comes from the LGBTQ+ community, their "flops" and their choices need to be perfect if not they are cancelled and over with in no time. For guys, they have unlimited passes on their careers (creatively talking) and it will always be ok, but woman, not so much.

Just kinda tired of reading the same unbalanced and unnecessary judgment still in 2020. 

PS: I love Exhale and all content here. It is an honest question, on why are we are trained like that? I do the same, I think, new Ariana album, and same image for Ariana, and think, that was lazy, but for Ed, Shawn, they will get a free pass...

Who cares about and stans hard those male singers tho?  :cackling: Nobody. That's why. 

GP doesn't care about these topics like we do so ofc all the talk is on the gay icons.  

• Haha 1
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, conceptuel said:

I don't agree at all, actually, 2007-2013 is what helped Britney to still be a thing with the new generation, because a lot of us grew up with these songs being ***** on the radio stations, and honestly, back then, we barely cared about how she performed or whatever.

2007-2009 I completely agree.

I'm talking from a GP perspective, not a fan nor solely US perspective. The FF singles were brilliant for radio and charts in the US, but that's all they were, it didn't translate majorly into album sales.

Of course the fans were all over it but I remember some GP not even knowing she had an album out for ages. Tour sales in some places in Europe were only half full. Birmingham UK was literally at 50% capacity, they had a Groupon deal and everything.

The worldwide appeal was starting to decline which I think could have been avoided if the image and sound had been revised and evolved. It only went downhill from here commercially.

You literally said it here:

3 hours ago, conceptuel said:

a lot of people stopped to care about her music career

Femme Fatale was the beginning of that.

• Like 1
  • Super Mods
On 6/27/2020 at 7:52 AM, ColdAsFire88 said:

We are totally forgetting Demi Lovato :blol:

Obviously her **** addiction has gotten in the way of her success. I do believe her addiction led to her lashing out at celebs online such as Taylor Swift and Mariah Carey :tired: but that didn’t help her. She’s trying to rebound but I think the general public is over her and her drama :yesokay: but I hope she stays sober n healthy :awks:

It kinda reminds of Lindsay Lohan:

She was the it girl in the early 00s but fked it up by getting into *****.

Its a shame cause she was truly talented! :disappointed:

• Love 1
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, BabyBabyBay said:

2007-2009 I completely agree.

I'm talking from a GP perspective, not a fan nor solely US perspective. The FF singles were brilliant for radio and charts in the US, but that's all they were, it didn't translate majorly into album sales.

Of course the fans were all over it but I remember some GP not even knowing she had an album out for ages. Tour sales in some places in Europe were only half full. Birmingham UK was literally at 50% capacity, they had a Groupon deal and everything.

The worldwide appeal was starting to decline which I think could have been avoided if the image and sound had been revised and evolved. It only went downhill from here commercially.

You literally said it here:

Femme Fatale was the beginning of that.

I understand, but FF singles did a lot for the gp, IWG/TTWE/Criminal/HIAM/S&S/WB were quite known by the new generation (I started to know about Britney Spears with IWG, when I was 9 yo, that was a massive hit in France) 

& then well, did she really promote well FF? with her state, what they did with the material is already amazing, but honestly her very few TV performances were :eheeek: who would want to see that tbh

& 2011 was when Britney started to forget that she is also known outside the US.

but they've chosen to elect Rihanna's strategy: to be a single artist. 

8 hours ago, kweenNEYDE said:

wait whaaaaat was this deal??

8 hours ago, Ehju0901 said:

wondering the same thing.  I don’t know about any correlation between her Pepsi deal and her radio air play?

Her team chose Pepsi for the DWAD tour sponsor instead of Clear Channel. Clear Channel owned the majority of US radio stations, so she was essentially banned from radio play for that era. It was lifted around the time Toxic came out 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, FrenchToast said:

Madonna working with Timbaland and Pharell Williams on Hard Candy, wayyyyy after all everyone already worked with them. 

Before this album, she used to be ahead of her time, working with cutting edge producers. 

Timbaland was already mainstream when they made Hard Candy, and the album was average and unsurprising.

Each new album she launched had the same issue. It marked the moment she stopped being a trendsetter. She became late on the music trends, doing things that already existed with other singers...

Blame Warner Bros, she started working with Pet shop boys, But warner wanyed American radio dominance. 

Comfessions didn't get radio love, Neither did American life. But Madonna waa making music totally left field of radio airplay, But oddly she was making the music that Lady gaga and others would make radio embrace in 2009.

She was just ahead of the US curve a decade prior. 

1 hour ago, conceptuel said:

I understand, but FF singles did a lot for the gp, IWG/TTWE/Criminal/HIAM/S&S/WB were quite known by the new generation (I started to know about Britney Spears with IWG, when I was 9 yo, that was a massive hit in France) 

You see, I was 16/17 during FF, and in comparison to both Circus and even Blackout, the hype for Britney's music was definitely not the same. The songs were bops but nobody wanted to explore further.

1 hour ago, conceptuel said:

& then well, did she really promote well FF? with her state, what they did with the material is already amazing, but honestly her very few TV performances were :eheeek: who would want to see that tbh

This is literally my point, had they at least waited until she was in a better mental place, the decline would have been less.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block