Dumb And Questionable Career Choices That Had Long-Term Consequences

Oh, "Blank - Single" flopped. No, this is not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about career choices that had real, genuine, noticeable consequences when it comes to a certain artist's career and success. :martini: Here are the two examples that I've come up with (they're obvious ones):

• Katy Perry - cutting her iconic locks of hair and becoming 'woke'. I can totally understand why she did what she did, but you can't deny that it hurt her career. I mean, "Chained to the Rhythm" and "Never Really Over" were decent hits, but everything else flopped like no other. It seems like there's no anticipation for her upcoming album, which is a shame. :idkney:
  • Miley Cyrus - releasing a random free independent album, which had ZERO general public appeal. Such a random move after the huge success of the "Bangerz" era. Then, dropping her whole shtick and antics in favor of her old country bumpkin image, which gave people fuel to cancel her for seemingly using black culture for clout. "Malibu" was a decent hit, but she hasn't really recovered from this. I mean, she still hasn't released the project she promised to release like a year ago. :arianabye:FB_IMG_1593258806889.jpg.b28b6ff7ad65728b8cc22f6befef5c63.jpg
Edited by Roxxy
Featured. TEEHEE 💛🧡💜
  • Like 2

It took Fergie 6 years to release Double Dutchess. After BEP's hiatus in 2011, she said she's gonna start working on the follow up to 2006's The Dutchess. The first single came in 2014 but the album was released in 2017. She took so much time and stalled and stalled and now I don't think she can ever, ever recover. Like, she's over now. :mattafact:

Stream M.I.L.F. $ 

:barbie:

• Haha 2
  • Like 6
21 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

It took Fergie 6 years to release Double Dutchess. After BEP's hiatus in 2011, she said she's gonna start working on the follow up to 2006's The Dutchess. The first single came in 2014 but the album was released in 2017. She took so much time and stalled and stalled and now I don't think she can ever, ever recover. Like, she's over now. :mattafact:

Stream M.I.L.F. $ 

:barbie:

True, and there were so many delays as well. :idkney: However, I think the worst part is that the album wasn't even that good. Like, half of the songs are great, but the rest are a snoozefest. :nyschool: 

• Haha 2

- Iggy Azalea's tour cancellation. Let's face it. After the successes of Black Widow and Fancy, her future looked bright until her tour got cancelled due technical difficulties. Ever since then she's struggling to release new music and music that appeals to the public. It may be a bit black and white of me to say the cancellation of her tour is to blame for all of that but starting your very first huge tour this bumpy is bound to follow your entire career.

- Britney Jean was for all the obvious reasons a dumb career choice and I used to say her Vegas residency was too at the beginning but that actually turned out to be a HUGE SUCCES.

- Britney working with Iggy.

- PCD that one award show where Melody came out of nowhere trying to belt like Mariah or Celine and failing so hard, it was painful to see. Like what happened there?!?!?!

- Lady Gaga working with R.Kelly; it was already known R.Kelly did some cruel things and yet Gags still colaborated with him anyway to only delete him after all these years. I wonder what was going in her mind to work with him in the first place.

• Like 2

We need to talk about Kesha...As much as I feel and applaud her for coming out against Dr. Luke her career has suffered for it:britdrown: Even with the support she received from high profilers like Gaga, Swift and Clarkson she still didnt bounce back. Rainbow was critically acclaimed but it didn’t touch the success of Animal/Cannibal:teigen:. Highroad ended up being mediocre and has a few bops :lollipop: but the album has literally fallen off the face of the earth. I honestly wonder if she is self- sabotaging her career to get out of her contract :tired:

• Like 6
1 minute ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

We need to talk about Kesha...As much as I feel and applaud her for coming out against Dr. Luke her career has suffered for it:britdrown: Even with the support she received from high profilers like Gaga, Swift and Clarkson she still didnt bounce back. Rainbow was critically acclaimed but it didn’t touch the success of Animal/Cannibal:teigen:. Highroad ended up being mediocre and has a few bops :lollipop: but the album has literally fallen off the face of the earth. I honestly wonder if she is self- sabotaging her career to get out of her contract :tired:

I don't think the Dr. Luke allegations were the cause of the suffering of her career. If anything, it kinda saved it (temporarily). Kesha's decline began with Warrior. Die Young was on track to be a pretty big hit, but then the Sandy Hook shooting happened and it was basically killed. Kesha, during this entire era, was pushing against her label to not have to release songs by Dr. Luke - she wanted to go more rock. But Dr. Luke's singles kept getting released, and people were tired of Kesha. From 2009-2012, she was basically everywhere and people got tired of her party girl image. It was just the same thing over and over. She wasn't evolving and people got over her quickly. 

Then, obviously, there was the Dr. Luke period where she couldn't release anything. But Praying was a pretty big hit, and pretty much because of the allegations. Maybe you're right in the sense that maybe Kesha could've evolved and revived her career during that dormant period where she couldn't release music. However, the general public was already getting tired of her releasing the same songs with the same themes over and over. Both EDM and pop girls were in their last stage of popularity until they started getting phased out. I don't know that there's much Kesha could've done differently when her entire image was based on EDM, popstars, and partying.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, IForgotYouExisted said:

- Iggy Azalea's tour cancellation. Let's face it. After the successes of Black Widow and Fancy, her future looked bright until her tour got cancelled due technical difficulties. Ever since then she's struggling to release new music and music that appeals to the public. It may be a bit black and white of me to say the cancellation of her tour is to blame for all of that but starting your very first huge tour this bumpy is bound to follow your entire career.

- Britney Jean was for all the obvious reasons a dumb career choice and I used to say her Vegas residency was too at the beginning but that actually turned out to be a HUGE SUCCES.

- Britney working with Iggy.

- PCD that one award show where Melody came out of nowhere trying to belt like Mariah or Celine and failing so hard, it was painful to see. Like what happened there?!?!?!

- Lady Gaga working with R.Kelly; it was already known R.Kelly did some cruel things and yet Gags still colaborated with him anyway to only delete him after all these years. I wonder what was going in her mind to work with him in the first place.

i dont think any of these had long-lasting impacts.

iggy's career was ended by those fake tweets that someone circulated and people decided to cancel her

as for pretty girls.... chile dont nobody remember that song

PCD ended because nicole wanted the spotlight... until she realised she couldnt get very far without her backup dancers  the *****cat dolls

Gaga working with R. Kelly..... um her career has only grown exponentially since then so although it was a terrible choice, didnt really seem to impact her career much

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

Rainbow actually sold more than warrior, which is a huge accomplishment considering warrior was released in 2012 when streaming wasnt a thing and people bought albums more...

While Kesha hasnt replicated the success of animal and cannibal, those were her debut projects, and they were released like 10 years ago. The music landscape was completely different, i dont know if you can really compare them. Plus she's going in a completely different direction now, not as "pop" as animal & cannibal

Christina Aguilera Releasing “Bionic” & “Lotus”.    Both Completely Destroyed Whatever Popularity She Had Left With The General Public.  “Bionic” Was Semi - Huge, But It Was The Most Disappointing Follow Up To The Success Of “Back To Basics”.   “Lotus” Was Her Worst Career Move, “Moves Like Jagger” Went Number 1 And She Decided To Wait Months Before Releasing A Solo Single.  “Lotus” Was Her Trying To Re - Create The Success Of “Femme Fatale”.  Both These Albums Made Her Career Suffer, Xtina Has Yet To Achieve Any Success Since.    

• Like 3

Nickis nasty attitude is my vote. It started coming out in 2014 when Igloo Azalea  came on the scene. And then the real downfall started when she went after Miley at the VMA’s. That’s allegedly what led to the radio ban according to a few YouTube videos. Then the scandal with her disgusting brother, then she married a predator, collaborated with predators, and then cardi b won a Grammy. Nickis career has been on a decline since.

mtv celebs GIF
Relive Nicki getting embarrassed by Hannah Montana here (watch for the moment Miley looks at Nicki as she says “losers” 🤣):

Also, where was this energy with Cardi? Hmm...

• Haha 2
  • Like 3

So many:

Fergie: Taking such a long break. The success of The Duchess proved that she didn't need BEP anymore so idk why she went back with them instead of releasing her 2nd solo album in late 2007/early 2008. She would've slayed.

Gwen: Same reason sort of. I know she didn't want a solo career in the first place, but she really should've released her 3rd album after Early Winter flopped instead of working with No Doubt again and releasing Push and Shove in 2012 or whenever that was. Also she wasted Yummy as a single choice right after Sweet Escape, because no one was here for 4 In The Morning.

Gaga: The Alejandro video. It was too much too soon and turned a lot of people off. Even I didn't like that **** and I'm a gay male. Also Judas should've never been a single, DWUW should've been a collab with Drake or another popular rapper instead of R. Kelly, and A-Yo should've been Joanne's lead single.

Christina: Not releasing Bionic sooner. Had the album been released in late 2007 or early 2008 it would've been more successful because electronic dance music wasn't that big in the US around that time, so it would've been a novelty and wouldn't have felt so stale. Also what's with that long waiting period between Lotus and Liberation? Christina's her own worst enemy sometimes.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Meghan Trainor’s last era that got postponed so much to the fact no one even cared she had a bop with Nicki :mcry:

I find that song kind of annoying :yesokay:

2 hours ago, Roxxy said:

Double Dutchess

This is so sad! She did great MV and the album isnt bad, the cover is really good too!

I dont know why it tanked like that :otears:

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

We are totally forgetting Demi Lovato :blol:

Obviously her **** addiction has gotten in the way of her success. I do believe her addiction led to her lashing out at celebs online such as Taylor Swift and Mariah Carey :tired: but that didn’t help her. She’s trying to rebound but I think the general public is over her and her drama :yesokay: but I hope she stays sober n healthy :awks:

• Like 4

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block