Dumb And Questionable Career Choices That Had Long-Term Consequences

On 6/27/2020 at 7:00 PM, THE_MIKY said:

Britney meeting Kevin Federline. She was on top of the world, and sadly, on top of her carrer. Not saying that her carrer is over, because it is not, but can't help questioning it.

Not here to defend Federline, but it wasn't his fault. Britney was not a child (not yet a woman😅). She wanted out and he was her excuse, not the reason. It would have been any guy. Britney didn't even have a.chance of having a healthy, normal psycho-emotional development. She was always working and she definitely wasn't mature. I think she wanted to escape. Also she repeatedly said she needed a.break and she was never allowed one. 

I think if I think of bad  career choices for her:

Staying with Lamerry Rudolph for so damn long

Some single choices

Passing on Umbrella (Rihanna is thankful)

Britney Jean

Her choice of outfits

The Vegas residency. No matter.how successful it might have been, how much hardcore fans stan, the GP saw her as a has-been settling for quick money. Maybe because it came tied with not so good performances and her awkward behavior on interviews, lack of promo and a terribly weak, if not awful album.

Pretty Girls

Regarding other artists, I think those who keep hyping themselves and their albums as the second coming are the ones that tend to fall flat. I, for instance, like those who maybe vanish and come strong. I love the fact that Lorde hasn't really hyped her album at all. Fergie was saying her album was hit for years. Same with Meghan. That just doesn't work.

5 hours ago, BabyBabyBay said:

Femme Fatale was the beginning of that.

:watrusayin: 

Femme Fatale prolonged Britney's relevance and is one of her most successful albums to date. It's the main reason she still has stans that were born after 2000.   

The FF tour was a mistake but the album was a success.  

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Isla said:

Oh I didn't know that. If that was the case then surely she would have released it on RCA? 

This is what the Wikipedia entry says:

"Cyrus mentioned that the possibility of a free album in an August 2015 Marie Claire interview, with her manager adding that the singer was "prepared to buy herself out of the label" if RCA Records did not cooperate with her plan."

12 minutes ago, bas che said:

With all due respect, I’m sick of people blaming Katy Perry’s hair for her current standing in the pop scene. How shallow can we be? 

It is not about blonde, black, short or long hair so stop reducing artists into a pirate of wig I beg and plead. 

Maybe Chanied To The Rythem was the reason people let her go but Never Really Over was a little hit and in that video she had long hair.

50 minutes ago, JustLuvMe07 said:

This is what the Wikipedia entry says:

"Cyrus mentioned that the possibility of a free album in an August 2015 Marie Claire interview, with her manager adding that the singer was "prepared to buy herself out of the label" if RCA Records did not cooperate with her plan."

Eh that still doesn’t really answer my question. If RCA didn’t agree with the plans then I guess Miley wouldn’t be on their label anymore but she still is. But she still released Dead Petz outside of her contract with them.

1 minute ago, Isla said:

Eh that still doesn’t really answer my question. If RCA didn’t agree with the plans then I guess Miley wouldn’t be on their label anymore but she still is. But she still released Dead Petz outside of her contract with them.

Maybe that was the plan. She releases an album out of her contract and therefore she stays with RCA.

8 hours ago, ol123 said:

:watrusayin: 

Femme Fatale prolonged Britney's relevance and is one of her most successful albums to date. It's the main reason she still has stans that were born after 2000.   

The FF tour was a mistake but the album was a success.  

:tiffcackle: You really think FF is one of her most successful albums to date. How old are you?

X Factor helped her maintain relevance. Vegas helped her maintain relevance as one of the first recent pop artists to be taking a residency there. Even her S&S collab was smart.

But nobody is checking for her music like they used to. She's no longer in the centre of the pop world. And I'll say it again, it started with Femme Fatale.

Is it natural to have a decline? Yes.

Could that decline have been avoided drastically had we had some element of evolution and better timing? Also yes.

I'm a huge Britney fan, but I'm also realistic. Witnessing the industry's behaviour towards Britney from 00s to 10s, there has been a shift. Of course she's still fairly successful because she has a solid fan base. But to cut beyond that fan base, there needs to be something different.

7 hours ago, BabyBabyBay said:

:tiffcackle: You really think FF is one of her most successful albums to date. How old are you?

X Factor helped her maintain relevance. Vegas helped her maintain relevance as one of the first recent pop artists to be taking a residency there. Even her S&S collab was smart.

But nobody is checking for her music like they used to. She's no longer in the centre of the pop world. And I'll say it again, it started with Femme Fatale.

Is it natural to have a decline? Yes.

Could that decline have been avoided drastically had we had some element of evolution and better timing? Also yes.

I'm a huge Britney fan, but I'm also realistic. Witnessing the industry's behaviour towards Britney from 00s to 10s, there has been a shift. Of course she's still fairly successful because she has a solid fan base. But to cut beyond that fan base, there needs to be something different.

In terms of all 4 singles, yes, it was successful also in terms of growing her fan base yes it was a huge success. The success of an album can't just be determined by numbers but even then it did pretty well. You really think Brit would have any younger fans if Femme Fatale didn't exist? She literally wouldn't. 

Femme fatale managed to cut past that fan base line unlike Glory. (I love Glory btw). Of Course if you compare it to BOMT and OIDIA it wasn't great but that's very unrealistic to compare. 

I think it's one of her most successful because of it's reach to the GP and how many new stans it brought in for Britney. The album literally brought in a new generation to the fan base.  I don't know how anyone can't see that as being a great success. 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, ol123 said:

In terms of all 4 singles, yes, it was successful also in terms of growing her fan base yes it was a huge success. The success of an album can't just be determined by numbers but even then it did pretty well. You really think Brit would have any younger fans if Femme Fatale didn't exist? She literally wouldn't. 

Femme fatale managed to cut past that fan base line unlike Glory. (I love Glory btw). Of Course if you compare it to BOMT and OIDIA it wasn't great but that's very unrealistic to compare. 

I think it's one of her most successful because of it's reach to the GP and how many new stans it brought in for Britney. The album literally brought in a new generation to the fan base.  I don't know how anyone can't see that as being a great success. 

I totally see your perception.

But I really don't think it was that impactful.

Not even going back as far as BOMT but even comparing it to Circus 3 years prior. Her reputation was in the **** during Blackout (even though that is now an artistically credible moment for her), she was on the up and everything she did was impactful. I'd say Circus is more the reason for newer fans.

Even looking at ITZ 'numbers', by Britney's standards it was low, but the impact of that album has stood the test of time.

Now looking at FF, the tracks haven't really stood the test of time outside of the fans. We had a resurgence of Criminal and that's because it was sonically more innovative than 75% of that album. Probably the only song that did anything for her from that era.

I adore FF and TTWE is one of my fave jams but in hindsight, I don't see it as doing anything for Britney's long term credibility. It was a generic pop album that didn't stand out even by her standards. (Special shoutout to HIAM for that dubstep drop though)

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block