The reason why there hasn't been a bigger peak than Britney's peak

IMO, Michael Jackson, and Britney are the pop/superstars that we'll never see the likes of again. I think all aspects of their careers is what became such a phenomenon.

Iconic music videos, fashion, choreo that's iconic, paprazzi, mobs of ppl following them everywhere. I feel both MJ and Britney were a movement. Definitely them being pre-social media and the infancy of internet made them what they are today ICONS.. 

I also feel that Britney had the "it" factor like Michael, something about their stage presence that just made them the whole package, influential on so many levels!! 

Also as a whole I think the world, and world media was obsessed with them good or bad.

There are others I feel that have a touch of WOW: Beyonce, Janet, Whitney, Princess Diana, Gaga,Adele, BSB,Prince

I could go on and on.. But for me MJ and Britney are all encompassing!

I

• Love 2
  • Like 7

Maybe because there's just no one iconic right now? It's very rare to have charisma, beauty, cute personality, pure positive energy, vibe, expensive look, talent etc. all at the same time like Britney. It doesnt happen every decade. I think Marilyn Monroe was previous person before Britney and it was 60 years ago and people still remember her name and she's obvi legend etc. And also... maybe now we just don't see things that artists do as iconic? Maybe it needs time to see how iconic something was but idk. Ariana's Thank U, Next was pretty iconic tho and it broke internet everywhere, it was viral af soo

• Like 2
On 6/6/2020 at 11:20 AM, CarlyRaeJepsenStan said:

First of all, I know that Adele's commercial peak is bigger than Britney considering the sales climate.  Here I'm talking about CULTURAL peak.britney9.jpg.da729b396164dd5d40e533e5af4e314c.jpg

Gaga came close during 2009-2011 period. But no one has ever been such a phenomenon like Britney was from 1999 to 2004.

My guess: Britney's peak happened when there was no social media and the Internet was in its infancy, people knew less about non-famous singers. Nowadays, everyone can become famous by being a Vlogger or reality star. Back in 2000, Britney and Xtina ruled the music industry.

Plus, pop stars nowadays do not take risks like the previous generation? We haven't seen Ariana or Dua having music videos like Dirrty or I'm a slave 4U.

Miley Prisioner says hi 

I think miley is the only pop girls who know how to generate controversy 

On 6/5/2020 at 11:41 PM, PokemonSpears said:

I think more than anybody becoming famous, I think it's more about we being more desensitized to anything new. It's like, we have access to so many other things, that nothing is as outstanding or memorable. Even the biggest hit, it's like, a few weeks later people just completely moved on to another thing, because of so many things we have access to. 

I think all these new artists even though have much more exposure than Britney and her peers back in the day, if any of them went on a hiatus of 2-5 years, they would be over. That would be it for them, because in that period of time a thousand more people would've come up, and it's not that they have to be more famous in terms of sales or streams, just enough to distract the public from the absence of whoever was the biggest thing two years ago.

If someone released a video like Oops nowadays, no one would bat an eye, but back in the day it was amazing, because we had less options, less diversity, and something like that or the snake performance would obviously get ingrained in the minds of everyone that witnessed that, and that's why artists like Britney will always be remembered. But nowadays there's just so many of everything, that unless you stumble upon one of those Buzzfeed rewind articles, you'll hardly remember anything that happened in the last decade, like, unless it's something you really like. 

You articulated this very well! 

A huge cultural and technological shift has obviously happened and we're no longer in the 90s. It's a totally different landscape. We are all hyper aware of everything going on in the world and nothing really surprises us anymore. It's hard to stand out or leave a lasting impact in an environment like that.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Actualllyyyyyy...

Adele has similar sales to Britney but hasnt overtaken her u know? :ladyhaha:

21- 30.4 million copies sold

BOMT- 30.6 million copies sold

25- 22.7 million copies sold

OIDIA- 25 million copies 

Also worth noting that there’s a significantly higher population/audience market for Adele so in theory, even if she surpassed Brits numbers, she still wouldn’t be ahead in  relative terms. 

• Love 3

Back then, things were more manufactured. Everyone had a certain look and presented a certain way to the public in accordance with the record labels goals.  Nowadays artists have more freedom and are free to act how they like. Less manufactured but also means less of a product the label is selling. The labels are a business and back then, before artists had 'rights' , knew how to run a business and make money. No artists want more control etc. But that also means they'll never be as big. However if you look at BTS and the current 'products' of labels, they are still big because their every move is calculated like every artist on the Jive label back in the day .... 

• Like 2

Also when Britney got more freedom after 'Oops' , sales did start to decline. Same with other artists from that era. So we all know what happens when you give an artist freedom.... Not that it's a bad thing (the artist is probably happier) ,but it generally means an image change... The image the public fell in love with is not the same. But look at artists that stuck to their same sound all these years... Celine Dion, ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift... More or less still big after countless albums.. same image. Generally same music sound.. I think the public (at least me) likes consistency .. some growth and change is expected and welcomed but an image overall can be confronting and turn a lot of people off 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Korb said:

You articulated this very well! 

A huge cultural and technological shift has obviously happened and we're no longer in the 90s. It's a totally different landscape. We are all hyper aware of everything going on in the world and nothing really surprises us anymore. It's hard to stand out or leave a lasting impact in an environment like that.

besides you now have the option to only see/stream/listen what you like and completely ignore everything else that's happening.

Before, you had to watch the entire block of MTV videos to watch your favorite artist, now you can go straight to your favorite song, and for more stuff that youtube recommends you, you won't be forced to listen to or watch if you're not interested. That's how I've escaped all the hottest artists there are right now, I couldn't name a single William Eyelash song or Dua Lipa or Ariana Grande (from her latest albums) because I'm simply not interested in them, and I can perfectly avoid them or anything else I don't like, but back in the day, we were told by TV and radio what to like.

And that's how a simple radio ban has made an entire country believe that Overprotected or Slave 4 U aren't great songs :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

• Like 6
8 hours ago, Haha-Hehe-Haha-Ho said:

Also worth noting that there’s a significantly higher population/audience market for Adele so in theory, even if she surpassed Brits numbers, she still wouldn’t be ahead in  relative terms. 

Exactly, her demographic can attract people from 11-60 of years because of her simple and multigenerational music :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

• Like 1

Social media didn't have anything to do with it. It was her talent, appeal, and "product" (the music, videos, performances). She really was a force, the way Madonna and MJ were. She was building and building on her legacy and then obviously things went south after ITZ.

People were enthralled by her - she was young and **** and had controversial videos and performances. She was really the first young girl to do it in such a big way. She opened the door for so many girls like Gaga and Miley, etc. and since Britney, the market has been saturated with young girls trying to do the same thing she did. Now it's nothing for a young girl to be **** and dance around in a video.

In my opinion, there was a pop trend of having amazing performances with dancing and everything that died during Britney's breakdown. I genuinely think she's a part of that. Since Britney's performances went down, the standard went down. That's when people mostly stopped dancing and now someone like Taylor Swift can walk around the stage singing live and even though it's boring, people think it's an amazing performance. Things are so different now.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 2
On 6/7/2020 at 11:55 AM, Theo04t said:

We should also count that dramas nowadays are so different

Nowadays the only dramas that exist are things related to not being 1000% politically correct. For example, if somebody makes a joke that can be interpreted in a racist/homophobic/transphobic/***ist way it will blow up and cause controversy, but if it is something different from those things people just won't care

I think its because Britney is very **** and she took being ***iness to the next level. Her costumes, songs, dance moves, voice, everything complimented each other. Moreover, at her peak there was no better dancer then her. All the girls wanted to be some version of Britney. It was an era to be ****..

Also, there was always mystery around Britney. It still is...A lot of artist have exposed themselves on social media so much that after a point we are like WTF...With Britney, everyone is still wondering what happened with Justin, Kevin, C-ship, etc..Is she ok? Lady Gaga did a good job in 2009 to be mysterious, but it didnt last long and when people were thinking she is different, she comes out as an emotional and caring person, which unfortunately people dont care. 

When it comes to Alede, she did great with 21. 25 was successful because of 21, 25 was not that great. I dont think so Adele will be able a big hit in coming years...She is taking too long to release music. Also, Adele is just Album artist. She is not very much in love with touring, dancing, and photoshoots. 

Now its easier then ever to replace top artist. Artists are easily replaced, and no one want to put that effort to make someone such a big star...its only about short term returns

20 hours ago, BabkaAutorka said:

Maybe because there's just no one iconic right now? It's very rare to have charisma, beauty, cute personality, pure positive energy, vibe, expensive look, talent etc. all at the same time like Britney. It doesnt happen every decade. I think Marilyn Monroe was previous person before Britney and it was 60 years ago and people still remember her name and she's obvi legend etc. And also... maybe now we just don't see things that artists do as iconic? Maybe it needs time to see how iconic something was but idk. Ariana's Thank U, Next was pretty iconic tho and it broke internet everywhere, it was viral af soo

Ariana Thank U iconic? LOL a million times.

On 12/22/2020 at 11:50 PM, Dirk said:

Britney, Gaga, Bieber

Taylor is awesome but she's not so global, her personality is too reserved, she's like an indie artist (because she was country and then this new era) with success.

I believe it's because no one came hard different yet, I would Billie Eilish is a strong name but she's only on her first album, she appeals the young generation just the same Britney and Xtina did in the 2000s.

Also Britney/Justin/Demi/Selena dramas made the new ones more self conscious about exposure, they know people suffer with lots of fame and stuff so the music industry is more safe now.

Taylor Swift is global, trust me.  :kfed_kevin_federline_popozao_jamming_dancing:

She has many radiohits here: Blank Space, I Know You Were Trouble, You Need To Calm Down, Shake It Off.