People from all across the world during this Pandemic, where are you from and how is your country dealing with this COVID-19?

Marcanthony

Argentina here! 300 cases, 4 dead. the president declared lockdown last Friday, and it's probably getting extended until April. most cases are from people coming back from other countries, but we are doing this now before it's too late. Although there are more people getting "arrested" than infected. classes got cancelled two weeks ago, supermarkets are open but people have to wait outside and the police stops every bus and car checking on the people inside

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm from Belgium (Flanders aka the Dutch region).

So far, any shop that isn't considered essential like food stores and more, are closed till April 5th. We can still go out for a walk or a run but we can't go on groups and n'either can we drive long ends. The police is controling borders to avoid unnecessary movements and ARE fining people up to 4.000 euro and JAIL. My country is quite strict and just like myself, most people work from home. Some people are also temporarely unemployed.

As for food stores: many stores are only 1/few person(s) a time and no longer than 30 minutes. Many store also have a limit of max. 2 toilet paper packs and many other products.

A special press conference happens every day around 11 am to confirm any new cases of those who have gotten ill, left the hospital or simply...died.

I'm in New Jersey, USA. We have the second or third highest infection rate in the country, though that's mostly to the north of the state near NYC (I'm in the south, closer to Philadelphia).  Right now, we have an 8pm curfew to "non-essential" vehicles. All businesses except grocery stores, restaurants, and pharmacies were forced to close last week. We are being inundated with messages from the governor to stay home. Also, businesses who do not abide by the orders are threatened with a misdemeanor. The news has been wall to wall coverage. It's as if nothing else is going on in the world but the Corona virus. It's been that way for about 3 weeks.

What's cool though is they are allowing restaurants to remain open, for drive through or take out, dining inside has be banned. I think that is ease the economy a bit. People are allowed to go for walks and to parks (that are open), but again, the governor is emphasizing the just stay at home measure.

I work in the office for a moving company and for now, that is deemed an essential function, so I'm lucky to still be working. But the uncertainty not just here but all over is troubling and depending how bad it gets, we may need to shut down if good percentage of our clients decide to stay put.

My friends are so cool. A few of them organized a virtual happy hour the other night on Skype. That was fun. 😂

I'm from Israel (Tel Aviv) and pretty much as everyone unfortunately...

We have almost 2000 cases and 3 dead...

Everyone work from home, everything is closed besides food/pharmacy stores, they opened a Corona hotel to place light patients, transportation is canceled and most of us are vulnenteraly quarantined, even though some still went outside on the weekend for some stupid reasons:(

Very scary situation, afraid it becomes worse and we're not ready hospitals wise to deal with it... :/ 

Ireland here. 

For the past two weeks, we've been self-isolating and gathers were to be no larger than 100 (this has changed as of today). Schools and colleges have been closed two weeks. Shops are closing, as thousands have been fired from their jobs, which is a huge issue as rents nor bills have been stopped and landlords are just expected to act nice without any legal reason to.  

Social distancing is being practiced everywhere, as is hygiene, which should have been a given. 

As of tonight, our (caretaker) government has reduced gathers down to 4 people, unless they're in one household. Our government is more centre-right, and prioritises money making over people's rights or health.

Technically speaking in Ireland, this could have been slowed down or avoided if they screened flights from italy, but our government refused to do that. Very reactive rather than proactive. 

We've had 1,200 cases so far. 7 deaths.

What I will also say is this. The Irish people have been incredibly united even though we're all apart. We've created online groups, music parties, video parties etc. to occupy ourselves.

8 hours ago, MaxMillion said:

I'm from Germany and I think we are dealing 'okay' if there is anything like 'okay' at all. I'm super glad we have a sensible government and good health-care system helping the weakest amongst us so that - until now - we reduce the numbers of people dying from Covid-19.

This week and the next one, German people are not allowed to meet in groups larger than two and only necessary shops are open.

Hope you are all doing fine and your friends and families are safe!

I am also in Germany but think these regulations should've came a lot sooner than they have. It's not easy but it's manageable.

It's only hard for us freelancers. I don't even know what I will do if this doesn't end soon.

I am sending you a virtual hug and lots of positive vibes wherever you may be. 

❤️

10 hours ago, IgorMarleyBasic said:

I am also in Germany but think these regulations should've came a lot sooner than they have. It's not easy but it's manageable.

It's only hard for us freelancers. I don't even know what I will do if this doesn't end soon.

I am sending you a virtual hug and lots of positive vibes wherever you may be. 

❤️

Sending u hugs too!

I've heard that the German government plans a monthly fund for freelancers...but don't know how to apply for it!

Take care

Love from Cologne

Australia here...

All pubs and clubs closed, all restaurants/cafes are takeaway or delivery only (or otherwise closed), Nail salons/massage/beauty/brow bars etc closed from tomorrow. Most others stores are still open, but they are slowly closing because no one is out, everywhere besides the supermarkets is dead. Something like 1 million people losing their jobs this week So far. :(

1.5m Social distancing ($1000 fine from tomorrow in my state for those ignoring this). No travelling between states.

Still finding it hard to get toilet paper, I only have 2 rolls left and my partner is working from home. I work for the postal service, so will be working right through it it seems. :/

Things/rules seem to be changing everyday.

On 3/24/2020 at 7:32 PM, Marcanthony said:

Is anyone here from Russia? How are things okay there?

next week is off bc of carantine but some ppl still have to go to work : shops, pharmacies,banks etc. all  big  malls, cinemas, restaraunts, fitness clubs closed. travels within country also not recomended but they r not closed.   I think biggest numbers of ill ppl r in big cities like Moscow.    but idk for sure cause   numbers can be corrected at some point so ppl won't panic too much. all this and also decrease of the oil prices going to affect our economy  and god too many ppl gonna loose their work . i just hope  corona won't spread so much.  also i am very worried for USA numbers increase. It is really bad. And so many dead ppl in Italy and Spain. It's horrible. So stay home and be safe.

In the US, on the east coast. It’s insane. I’ve been working remotely from home and I’m one of the lucky ones. So many people I know are being laid off from work or being forced to go into work dealing with the public and putting their health at risk. Everything is shut down besides life sustaining businesses.

its difficult to get groceries delivered, you’re lucky if a time becomes available in the next few days or at all. But going to the grocery store is a terrifying option. The only time I leave my house is to do a lap around the block where you have to awkwardly avoid neighbors doing the same thing.

stir crazy..

On 3/24/2020 at 3:09 PM, Strongest said:

I'm in New Jersey, USA. We have the second or third highest infection rate in the country, though that's mostly to the north of the state near NYC (I'm in the south, closer to Philadelphia).  Right now, we have an 8pm curfew to "non-essential" vehicles. All businesses except grocery stores, restaurants, and pharmacies were forced to close last week. We are being inundated with messages from the governor to stay home. Also, businesses who do not abide by the orders are threatened with a misdemeanor. The news has been wall to wall coverage. It's as if nothing else is going on in the world but the Corona virus. It's been that way for about 3 weeks.

What's cool though is they are allowing restaurants to remain open, for drive through or take out, dining inside has be banned. I think that is ease the economy a bit. People are allowed to go for walks and to parks (that are open), but again, the governor is emphasizing the just stay at home measure.

I work in the office for a moving company and for now, that is deemed an essential function, so I'm lucky to still be working. But the uncertainty not just here but all over is troubling and depending how bad it gets, we may need to shut down if good percentage of our clients decide to stay put.

My friends are so cool. A few of them organized a virtual happy hour the other night on Skype. That was fun. 😂

I’m in NJ outside of Philly! 

2 hours ago, Arianna said:

I’m in NJ outside of Philly! 

That's cool!

Knock on wood, but it's crazy how different the numbers in the south are versus the north of the state. Especially in Philly, where the numbers have been relatively low compared to other major cities in the country

Not to make it too personal or about me, and I’m grateful I still have my health, but I really do miss the “normal” way of life and seeing all my friends, going out anywhere without worrying about keeping distance from people and what surfaces you’re touching. :( 

On 3/24/2020 at 3:41 PM, MaxMillion said:

I'm from Germany and I think we are dealing 'okay' if there is anything like 'okay' at all. I'm super glad we have a sensible government and good health-care system helping the weakest amongst us so that - until now - we reduce the numbers of people dying from Covid-19.

This week and the next one, German people are not allowed to meet in groups larger than two and only necessary shops are open.

Hope you are all doing fine and your friends and families are safe!

Could´nt agree more. Under the circumstances we are kinda well off and very lucky.

We have a lockdown until the 20.th of april here in GER - lets hope thats enough.

Greetz from Potsdam ;) 

• 1 month later...
  • Super Mods

Americans, let’s revisit this thread. :wontcry: 93,000 people have died in our country, and federal leadership has no coherent plan to increase testing, contact tracing, or assisting people who have been economically devastated by being laid off. Upwards of 40 million people have become unemployed over the past 2 months... 27 million or so have lost their health coverage. Our postal service is under attack and might be eliminated due the administration underfunding it, health professionals still don’t have the necessary equipment they need, and we have a clown for a president encouraging people to inject bleach or take hydroxychloroquine (which has deadly side effects). To put it in the simplest of terms, America is a hot mess and Trump doesn’t care about the death and suffering happening.

I’m in the Los Angeles area, which is California’s epicenter for COVID-19 cases and deaths. I’ve been able to work from home since March, but I’ve had my hours reduced. I’m fortunate to be able to physically distance and don’t know anyone who’s had it (my coworker went to get tested but they’re negative).

Archived