The Guardian best albums of the 21st century - Blackout makes the top 40!

Lemon

The Guardian just listed the 100 best albums of the 21st century and "Blackout" comes out at number 39. They say

Made amid her most troubled phase, Blackout defied the odds to become a diamond pressed from trash. The production is all sleazy, buzzing electro, and Britney's melodies have the twisted naivety of nursery rhymes. The two big singles are genius: Piece of Me bats back tabloid gossip with a sonic golf club, and Gimme More is her best-ever song, an erotic psychodrama where the purring come-ons of the title also sound like a woman drowning under her ambition.

I'm very happy  Blackout is getting this type of recognition from one of the world's most prestigious newspapers! It is truly a remarkable album and it deserves all the praise. Also Gimme  More being on Hustlers could bring renewed relevance for the song this year, who knows?

I recommend you check the entire list, it is very good!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/sep/13/100-best-albums-of-the-21st-century

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This looks like they just picked some of the albums out of a hat...

Frank Ocean in the top 10? And don't get me wrong, I enjoyed 'Body Talk' by Robyn.... but is it really the 15th best album of the 21st Century? Probably not.

And how the **** did Anti (and Blackout tbh) get a lower charting than Lemonade?!

I'm happy with Blackout's placing though, seems about right

It’s impossible to mention Blackout without serving up In The Zone too. I’m shocked they didn’t include it, but not surprised. Unfortunately Toxic (as good as it is) steals all of the attention while it’s stellar larger body of work falls behind. And it gets forgotten. If Blackout made the list, then so should have ITZ. It’s an amazing album and is legitimately one of the very best quality pop records of the 2000s. It was a turning point for pop. These ***** got it wrong. 

I agree with @MissSpearsSaysSo, @Lil Jay, and @MyQueenBritney - In The Zone deserves to be on this list. :mhm:

I also love that Pop 2, Body Talk, and Alright, Still were recognized! :yay: The list should be updated now that Charli is out, though. :mhmnod:

Some choices are questionable: Beyoncé's BEYONCÉ (which, let me remind you, had "7 / 11" on it) above Lemonade:mhmsureny:
Justified above Pop 2 and ANTi? :mhmsureny:

I also think that many albums are missing. Where's Carly Rae Jepsen's E•MO•TION? Mariah Carey's The Emancipation Of Mimi or Caution? Kylie Minogue's Fever, Body Language or Aphrodite? Madonna's Confessions On A Dance Floor? Lady Gaga's The Fame or Born This Way? Any of Lorde's two albums? Anything by Melanie Martinez or Tove Lo?

Why is none of the perfection listed above on this list? :ineedthetruth:

On 9/13/2019 at 8:01 AM, BabyBabyBay said:

This looks like they just picked some of the albums out of a hat...

Frank Ocean in the top 10? And don't get me wrong, I enjoyed 'Body Talk' by Robyn.... but is it really the 15th best album of the 21st Century? Probably not.

And how the **** did Anti (and Blackout tbh) get a lower charting than Lemonade?!

I'm happy with Blackout's placing though, seems about right

Frank Ocean deserved the top 10. Don’t come for him :lessons:

-I love Body Talk and I feel it's very important, but it's too high

-I'm not keen on the top 10

-Beyonce and Lemonade deserved it

-Blackout should've been way higher and ITZ should've been in. Anti should've been higher as well.

-I'm missing something Madonna... Confessions?

-I wanted to see Hilary Duff or Carly Rae Jepsen lol. They did a lot for pop music.

On 9/14/2019 at 7:34 AM, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

It’s impossible to mention Blackout without serving up In The Zone too. I’m shocked they didn’t include it, but not surprised. Unfortunately Toxic (as good as it is) steals all of the attention while it’s stellar larger body of work falls behind. And it gets forgotten. If Blackout made the list, then so should have ITZ. It’s an amazing album and is legitimately one of the very best quality pop records of the 2000s. It was a turning point for pop. These ***** got it wrong. 

I'm probably getting down voted but it seems like In The Zone is a fan favorite. Besides Toxic I don't think a lot non-fans care much about the album. Whereas Blackout had that surprise factor that during a difficult time she released a great album which lots of artists seem to praise even nowadays. I'm not saying In The Zone is bad. I just think the fanbase loves it more than others do.

Archived