Does anyone remember when Jewel made a pop album?

Shadow2003

Introduction

So, some of you may be confused by the title: "Who dafuq is this J e w e l girl, huh??? :ineedthetruth:". Well, I did not know she existed either, until Todd in the Shadows introduced me to her. Basically, Jewel is a folk singer who released her debut album in 1995. It spawned her three biggest hits: "Who Will Save Your Soul", "You Were Meant For Me", and "Foolish Games". She continued making that kind of music for her next two albums.

...And then 2003 came along, when Jewel had the bright idea to start making dance-pop! And that's how her fourth album, 0304, was born.

Image result for jewel 0304

Single #1: "Intuition"

The lead single from 0304, "Intuition" was released to pretty mixed reviews: some said it's a nice and fun song, while others thought that she sold out and started making this "pop s**t". The song itself is meant to be about how empty and shallow the modern world is, while the chorus talks about how you should "follow your intuition" and be yourself. Jewel also said that the music video is meant to be a parody of music videos and what happens in them.

I think this song is kinda a bop, but the chorus is just kinda overblown / too big. Also, some of the lyrics are s**t. :mhmnod:

Single #2: "Stand"

0304 also had another single, "Stand". It was a flop and not many people remember it. "Stand" also is meant to be a social commentary song with a cute pop sound.

...And then the bridge comes right dafuq outta nowhere, and has a completely different sound. The corresponding section of the music video shows Jewel trying to be **** while in a shower. I wholeheartedly believe that this part of the song was inspired by songs from In The Zone and the M/V is definitely trying to copy the shower scenes from "Toxic".

Single #3: "2 Become 1"

A third single... exists. I don't have much to say about it, it's kinda boring and has the same title as a Spice Girls song. :unbothered:

My thoughts

After listening to 0304, I can say that it's a pretty uninteresting record. Most of the songs just kinda... exist. Despite the first single being a dance-pop track, most of the album is pop rock.

There are, howerver, some noteworthy tracks. For example, song #9, "Haunted". It's much darker compared to the rest of the record and (from what I read) talks about a girl and her stalker, and sounds a bit like Madonna's "Mer Girl". It's definitely one of my favourites from the album. :mhmnod:

Then there are "Stand", "2 Find U", "Fragile Heart", "Sweet Temptation", "Yes U Can", and "Becoming" - all cute and nice tracks.

On the bad side, we have "America", another attempt at social commentary, except the lyrics get progressively dumber and dumber until we get to this gem:

"We are gettin' tan in America
We love Spam in America
Polanski's banned from America"

:deadbanana: :deadbanana: :deadbanana:

One of my problems is that the album is pretty long - most of the songs are around 4 minutes.  Also, there is a fair share of trash lyrics. 

Honestly, though, I don't think I can explain the whole ordeal with this album all that well, so I'd just recommend that you watch Todd's episode of TRAINWRECKORDS on this album:jewel.jpg.dfbdd552b610ed7f5a17a2606b093d7b.jpg

And check out 0304 here:

So, what do you think? Do you now know who this J e w e l girl is? Or have you heard of her and 0304 before? Do you think this album was inspired by Britney or not?

Discuss all of that and more below! :kisses2all:

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Or just let this thread flop, IDK. :jj:

• Love 6
  • Haha 1
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

Sweetie are you okay? :mj:

Sweets, what are you talking about? :mj:

The album had some bops, the TRAINWRECKORDS episode about it was great, and I wanted to share that.

...Except I wasn't quite sure how, so excuse the slight messiness of this. :embarrassney:

Something w r o n g with that tho??? :ineedthetruth:

• Love 1
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Super Mods

I still own this album and I agree with you on the album. I think it’s a fun album if you don’t look at it as a work of art kinda thing although I’m contradicting myself because I look at Britney’s album as works of art because just like Madonna, her albums represents events in her life. 

I never cared that much for Jewel anyways and the pop thing just didn’t work. Even back then I saw her kinda being a hypocrite. Train wreck nailed it.

• Love 1
  • 11 months later...

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block