Does anyone remember when Jewel made a pop album?

Shadow2003

Yoooo I remember this album and I almost forgot it existed. 

It was such a weird collection. It was like if 2000s pop entered your mind as a senseless fever dream where you woke up in cold sweats all unnerved but not remembering much. That's kind of it's charm though.

I was a little obsessed with Intuition for a while and like one other track. I can't remember which one though. I had no idea who Jewel was until this album.

Jewel had no clue what she was doing with pop to start with. Plus she clearly was dealing with a team of wastecase producers and writers. 

I think if she'd worked with better people and thought more about what she wanted to do with pop, she could have created a more cohesive, polished album. I honestly think she should have attempted round 2 if she had those things combined. 

Was she Britney inspired? Absolutely. I also think she was jumping on a lucrative music trend to foist herself into some limelight - which is the wrong reason to be doing pop. She didn't curate an image well enough or a stage persona. Intuition (and the other track I can't remember rn) honestly showed she was on the cusp of creating a pop star persona specific and original to her.  Shoulda spent more time on what she was trying to do. Coulda worked. 

Edit: just read from other comments that her label made her do this and it wasn't what she wanted l. That makes sense. Still think she coulda been a decent pop girl if she really wanted 

• Like 2

She wrote a pop album, as the label executives wanted it, dumb and not intelligent, if you can't see the Homer, Alaska native being shady then you missed the plot of this album, they wanted an album like Britney and Xtima and she gave it to them with a big middle finger, went back to her original sound and thought provoking lyrics, proving she's not a pop star. 

• Love 2
  • Like 2

I love Intuition.

It's also funny that her big FU to the pop world backfired and basically ended her career.

Don't get me wrong I love plenty of Jewel songs,

• Foolish Games
  • Who Will Save Your Soul
  • You Were Meant For Me
  • Hands
  • Standing Still

...are all flawless, but you can't really do what she did without expecting repercussions.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block