Does anyone remember when Jewel made a pop album?

Shadow2003

GIRL, was not expecting this! HAHA but I do remember her before that era, was a little shocked at the time with her new material and now I just think that it really aged as bad as I thought it would!

Low key loved Stand back then; Intuition is just... not really sure if it was meant to be taken seriously, because really that's not possible?

anyway loved the vintage pop kiki ;) 

ps: Where has Jewel been?

• Like 1

So, my older brother is a HUGE Jewel fan!  He’s followed her career through the years, has seen her multiple times, and even was able to meet her and spend time with her (I asked him if his opinion of her changed, because sometimes they do when we meet celebrities we love.  He said that she was wicked nice, down to earth, and so funny!)

I was fortunate enough to see her live once.  She was absolutely amazing live!  I especially loved hearing the stories she would tell in between songs.  I believe it was during that concert (it could’ve been one my brother told me about) that she told the story how her record label wanted her to record this album.  They wanted to jump on the pop girl bandwagon, despite her not wanting to.  So, I’m pretty sure that this was one of those cases where it was the artist caving to the demands of the record label.

• Love 1
  • Like 6

I love this album. Still listen to certain songs sometimes.  Since she was forced down the path I think she was trying to prove a point in her mind that you can make a sugary pop album that had a message instead of what was coming out back at the time. I was here for it and still am. Love her early stuff before that too but not a big fan that she went more country folk. 

Gotta take a hour drive today. I think I found what I'm listening too 😎

• Love 3

Pieces of me is still her best work, The album 0304 is just shady, she sexualized herself. The whole album is a Jewel album as If pink did it..

They wanted her to do a pop album. 

She did it right especially from a songwriter point of view, Shallow, tepid lyrics, lack of intelligence and morals..

She even made fun of TRL.

It's actually genius. 

Make a pop Album, while shading the genre itself. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, eyesaregrin said:

GIRL, was not expecting this! HAHA but I do remember her before that era, was a little shocked at the time with her new material and now I just think that it really aged as bad as I thought it would!

Low key loved Stand back then; Intuition is just... not really sure if it was meant to be taken seriously, because really that's not possible?

anyway loved the vintage pop kiki ;) 

ps: Where has Jewel been?

She's an independent Act now. Just issued her latest album of children's music. Her 8th. She does children music cos of her kid. 

• Love 1

I’ve always been a fan of Jewel and this record is her most enjoyable one yet. Of course the lyrics are not as deep as other albums, but they’re still smart and ****. :kylie:

Haunted is such a clever song. It’s from the stalker’s perspective: When you wake up, you will see yourself through my eyes. :jj:

Top 5 favorite songs in no particular order:

1. Haunted

2. Leave the Lights On

3. Yes U Can (originally written for Santana)

4. Run 2 U

5. U & Me = Love (originally written for Holly Valance)

Shoutout to Becoming (a love song to herself). :quirkney:

• Like 1

She used to bang. Actually, I am pretty sure Taylor Swift borrowed some inspiration from Jewel for folklore. There is a line in cardigan that, I swear reminds, me of a Jewel song, Good Day,: "can you love me like a father, can you drink me like water, say I am like the desert, just way hotter."

People were so critical of her going pop, but this is a better record than many pop records. They just wanted her to be this folky singer forever. She is an amazing singer and songwriter. Truly gifted. 

Her music now is meh, but she has jewels in her discography (no pun intended) 

• Love 2
  • Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but ive recently been going on a Jewel binge with the re-release of Pieces of You, and I got to 0304 and can’t stop banging to it.

Has she ever indicated doing another pop record? I would love that. I read here that she was forced to record it by her label, but in the liner notes she writes that this was her favorite record up until that point. I guess that could have been damage control, but I really wish she’d go back to it. It’s much better than her later country albums.

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block