Does anyone remember when Jewel made a pop album?

Shadow2003

she has a gorgeous voice for this kind of melodic pop, but this was never it for me. Her debut, 'Spirit' and the album 'This Way' were stunning for me. After '0304' I  almost lost interest in Jewel..... some of her newer alt/country work isn't bad though!

I really like Jewel and her 0304 album. I'm not too familiar with her other albums besides the singles. 0304 is definitely not as good as her 90s hits but it's an enjoyable album, at least for the time. And 2 Become 1 is a very beautiful song - my fave Jewel song! Also love Stand, Run 2 Me, Intuition, Leave the Lights On, 2 Find U, and Becoming!

On 9/6/2019 at 5:35 AM, Puppy said:

I still own this album and I agree with you on the album. I think it’s a fun album if you don’t look at it as a work of art kinda thing although I’m contradicting myself because I look at Britney’s album as works of art because just like Madonna, her albums represents events in her life. 

I never cared that much for Jewel anyways and the pop thing just didn’t work. Even back then I saw her kinda being a hypocrite. Train wreck nailed it.

That's why I'm not the biggest fan of re-recording. It's like you add something to an already painted picture.

OT: It's sad that she is really underrated. I wanted to give her some listens but she is too unknown for me.

2 hours ago, Barmy86 said:

I loved this album and i consider this an inspiration for madonnas American Life. It was fun, catchy, and political.

American life came out in April of 2003, thus came out in june or July of 2003..

At least American life actually got praised in retrospective reviews as like Billboard said it's Madonna at her most Bowiest stage of her career, and at least people said American life is what you would expect from Madonna, and she rebounded. 

0304 wasn't a great album, she could have done the sound like Avril, pink and Michelle branch, but she went full pop and didn't slowly transition like Taylor swift did with each album. 

idk why some of ya'll are trashing this album. it's actually decently great for what it set out to do - capture a snapshot of pop/dance music in 2003-2004 (hence the album title). she didn't necessarily want to make a pop album at first but then embraced the challenge. the lyrics are mostly satirical, mocking the vapidity of the culture back then (which has since declined even further...).  she had two great visuals and the packaging was also pretty good. give Jewel some credit. she didn't move 12 MILLION copies of her first album for being a poor songwriter; different, maybe, but that doesnt equal bad. i think the satire and tongue-in-cheek tone went over most of your heads.

PS - This album is platinum. Not sure why ya'll are running around saying it flopped and didn't sell...:lostney_britney_what_confused_huh_who_looking_around_glory:

• Love 1

How anyone can know who Jewel is and not know Pieces of You ... straight up tragic ! 

this whole album of hers was her attempt at making fun of mainstream pop, literally the lyrics and the visuals are a mockery . 

please go and listen to pieces of you .. 

I literally have never felt older on this forum for someone not to know that Jewel is famous cause of her debut, not this mess 

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block