Imagine this woman instead of Madonna on MATM

But radio stopped playing Madonna in 2001. Adding her to MATM hurt any chance of it getting past the radio ban. Britney was so popular/controversial at that time that radio would play her just so they could make fun/talk about her at the time. 

I remember I single handily got Boys on the top 10 countdown in my home town by requesting in the radios website all day long. 

Jive/Larry dropped the ball not releasing more physical singles in stores. No reason that she could sell 10 million albums in a year and can’t chart in the top 40 in her prime. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, nonoiseplz said:

It did flop. :demi:

A Janet and Britney performance of MATM would've been epic. Imagine the same AMA Awards performance of MATM with a Britney and Janet dance off. I think that would have sparked a lot of interest in the song and it would definitely be considered more of a legendary collaboration than what it is today.

Remember that Britney was just getting out of a radio ban thanks to clear channel 

23 minutes ago, Avatar said:

But radio stopped playing Madonna in 2001. Adding her to MATM hurt any chance of it getting past the radio ban. Britney was so popular/controversial at that time that radio would play her just so they could make fun/talk about her at the time. 

I remember I single handily got Boys on the top 10 countdown in my home town by requesting in the radios website all day long. 

Jive/Larry dropped the ball not releasing more physical singles in stores. No reason that she could sell 10 million albums in a year and can’t chart in the top 40 in her prime. 

Not really. Confessions era was a huge hit for Madonna. Hung Up was played non stop on the radio.

9 hours ago, DayvinDazone said:

Girl you've just made me suffer from some serious chronic depression thang :crying2:

You don't make posts like these... MATM (feat. Janet f**king Jackson) would slay lives, resurrect them, slay again and let them decay in da club.

The music video... THAT MUSIC VIDEO.

giphy.gif

ImmediateBigheartedHookersealion-size_re

QJzO.gif]giphy.gif

Ahh mixed feelings about it...I'd LOVE to see a Janet ft. Britney collab, but I don't think me against the music would be the song :mhm: I love the choreo and video, I like the song, but it's somehow one of Britney's weakest singles, even though it was supposed to be big, it simply wasn't. Hadn't Toxic been on In The Zone, it could have signed the start of her decline as a popstar. Back to Janet tho, I'd love to see her with Britney in some real **** song like Boys for instance, that would have rocked.

13 hours ago, brintyjoan said:

I dont blame you, its not your fault you grew up with Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande:jj:

nah, I grew up with post breakdown Britney, Rihanna, Beyonce, Ciara, Nelly Furtado, Justin Timberlake, Timbaland, Avril Lavigne, P!nk, Kelly Clarkson, Alicia Keys, Xtina and Amy Winehouse.. I'm not complainin'.. :unbothered:

9 hours ago, ralphcornio said:

Ahh mixed feelings about it...I'd LOVE to see a Janet ft. Britney collab, but I don't think me against the music would be the song :mhm: I love the choreo and video, I like the song, but it's somehow one of Britney's weakest singles, even though it was supposed to be big, it simply wasn't. Hadn't Toxic been on In The Zone, it could have signed the start of her decline as a popstar. Back to Janet tho, I'd love to see her with Britney in some real **** song like Boys for instance, that would have rocked.

She started declining right after Crossroads though, Toxic stopped that and put her back on the #1 spot

On 5/27/2019 at 7:44 AM, DayvinDazone said:

Girl you've just made me suffer from some serious chronic depression thang :crying2:

You don't make posts like these... MATM (feat. Janet f**king Jackson) would slay lives, resurrect them, slay again and let them decay in da club.

The music video... THAT MUSIC VIDEO.

giphy.gif

ImmediateBigheartedHookersealion-size_re

On 5/27/2019 at 1:54 PM, This pu$$y biteback said:

Janet & Britney would have killed this video!!!

Yes. The music video. It should be one of Britney's most iconic and memorable ones ever; all the elements were there.

But while Britney was dancing her *** off and looking insanely ****, Madonna was hogging screen time by rolling around in piles of leaves, trying really hard to look pensive but just appearing severely constipated, using a cane to further remind us of her advanced age whilst wearing a Hillary Clinton pantsuit of all things, and all the additional typical desperate **** she does for attention, like literally shoving her entire face directly into the camera and her crotch on top of business men’s heads: 

BigheartedGiddyAmericanbadger-size_restr

tumblr_nhm1185R701s58qxro7_250.gif

matm_201.jpg

tumblr_p5k3r1xeke1rnb39bo4_500.gif

She just made it comical and cringe-worthy whenever she was on screen (which was far, far too often).

Meanwhile, Britney (and the entire mood of the video) had a look that had all the makings of becoming iconic (tie, fedora, suspenders), and she f**king nailed every single dance move within that insanely rapid and complex choreography:

tumblr_pawkoyy2aJ1tw89w1o7_250.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_oxu1qhnJJP1w48wlho1_250.gif

YHTO.gif

tumblr_n9vv7zew161tek3r3o1_400.gif

tumblr_pod9o1EDuq1tw89w1o3_400.gif

tumblr_pod9o1EDuq1tw89w1o4_400.gif

tumblr_pawkoyy2aJ1tw89w1o6_400.gif

ZXq.gif

Ugh. It would've been AMAZING with Janet, and there would’ve been an actual “dance-off.”

Visually it would have been amazing for fans. I can just see the dance off at the end of the video. But in 00s nothing was more epic that The Queen of Pop (who is Not Janet) and the Princess of Pop collaborating. If that couldn't turn the song into a hit, that was because the song itself was a little too experimental. I mean its a dance pop song that has guitars and rapping... Ahead of its time. So was Toxic, but it was more digestible to the public than MATM. 

4 hours ago, DayvinDazone said:

Sis, you've just nailed this post. Stay flawless. :cinderellaney:

I just can't believe that I live in this alternate universe where a Primeney x Janet collaboration never happened.... Like, literally:

giphy.gif

Britney is iconic in her own unique intricate way, but let's not act like she didn't use Janet's entire blueprint as she started moving away from her cute girl-next-door image into the Nasty territory Janet had carved. The "get nasty!" line in Boys, all the suggestive talking in her songs, her dancing.... It's all very Janet-esque. You can tell Janet was somewhat of a mentor to Britney growing up even if they never actually interacted. What I love is that Britney took the Janet influence, adjusted it to suit her style and developed it further by adding elements of her own unique iconic self.

When it comes to Madonna's influence I fail to see anything apart from the tendency to shock the general public and cause major controversies with their music. But that's it. Madonna might've been a dancer (originally) but I personally never liked her dancing style and I never thought Madonna dancing looked particularly impressive. I can't detect any similarity between Madonna and Britney's singing styles either, and in terms of personality they're both SOOO different. Madonna is an attention seeker that has to resort to shock value whereas Britney oozes natural magnetism and the controversies happen without her doing anything controversial consciously. Britney has a natural *** appeal, she's not forcing anything. The same goes for Janet. She has this magnetic pull that makes you want to get to know her more. As Britney said here, "she's mesmerizing":

Madonna is like a cheap ******** pretending she's part of the elite. I love Madge's music, but I'm just tellin' it like I see it.

I agree that there was a alot of Janet in Britneys DNA...Her militant moves, her breathy/ whispery vocals, her midriff bearing tops and low jeans. She is even has Janets shy personality. But I completely disagree with your assessment of Madonna and her impact on Britney's generation. To dismiss her, by referring to her as a "cheap ********", is insulting. She is a rebel who challenges the system that favors men over and over again. From being in control of her own sexuality to being as adventurous now at the age of 60, as she was at the age of 20.
She is an artist, with a brilliant sense for marketing her projects. So successful has she been at this that MTV can do a tribute to her simply by having Drag queens walk the run way in her costumes and you know without a doubt what song this was. Why Glee can do a tribute by having kids walk around in her costumes. Why ru paul can have a "Night Of 1000 Madonnas".
Who else has that kind of legacy? Ill tell you... MJ, lady Gaga and Britney Spears... And where did Britney and indeed Lady Gaga get this from? Not Janet. It was Madonnas impact.
And while Janet is unquestionably an impressive dancer, I fail to recall a single iconic dance routine from her... Madonna meanwhile introduced Voguing to main stream audiences.

So to me Britney, or Primeney, was a hybrid of Janet and Madonna inspite of thr fact that the Media tended to link her more to Madonna, because they were both blonde white females, than Janet, who is a huge part of Britneys DNA.

Her performance style was always a blatant Janet inspo from 2001-2004. The entire Britney album sounds like an album of Janet rejected demos. Weird management made her publicly stan Madonna more. Her Song Lonely from Britney is almost a rip off of Janet's What About Song. 

11 minutes ago, DayvinDazone said:

I actually agree with everything you said, I didn't mean to say that Madonna is a cheap ******** and disregard all the groundbreaking moments she's had and her accomplishments. What I meant by the ******** comment was that Madonna's *** appeal always felt forced and unnatural to me. I'm perfectly fine with people disagreeing with me on this, but I've always felt like - with some celebrities, certain people have a very strong & natural sensuality to them (Britney, Janet...) while others "seem" extremely forced to me (Madonna, Miley Cyrus...) - when Madonna tries to be sensual, it comes off looking like she's trying too hard (to me). I don't feel like she's being her genuine self. The ******** comment was in relation to how natural Britney is and how unnatural Madonna looks in comparison imo. The Me Against the Music video is a great example of that. Madonna's not giving me ****, she's giving me desperate.

Having said that, I absolutely agree that Madonna has paved the way for everybody in the game right now and her music's influence is undoubtable.

The Rhythm Nation dance, while not nearly as iconic as Vogueing, could be considered an iconic dance :mj:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

CostlyNarrowGourami-size_restricted.gif

Ok agreed. This is definitely one of her most iconic moments. 

I suppose Madonnas sexiness has an aggressive, almost masculine vibe about it. While Britney and Janet was softer, more sultry in that regard 

48 minutes ago, DayvinDazone said:

I actually agree with everything you said, I didn't mean to say that Madonna is a cheap ******** and disregard all the groundbreaking moments she's had and her accomplishments. What I meant by the ******** comment was that Madonna's *** appeal always felt forced and unnatural to me. I'm perfectly fine with people disagreeing with me on this, but I've always felt like - with some celebrities, certain people have a very strong & natural sensuality to them (Britney, Janet...) while others "seem" extremely forced to me (Madonna, Miley Cyrus...) - when Madonna tries to be sensual, it comes off looking like she's trying too hard (to me). I don't feel like she's being her genuine self. The ******** comment was in relation to how natural Britney is and how unnatural Madonna looks in comparison imo. The Me Against the Music video is a great example of that. Madonna's not giving me ****, she's giving me desperate.

Having said that, I absolutely agree that Madonna has paved the way for everybody in the game right now and her music's influence is undoubtable.

The Rhythm Nation dance, while not nearly as iconic as Vogueing, could be considered an iconic dance :mj:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

CostlyNarrowGourami-size_restricted.gif

The If dance IS iconic! 

• 11 months later...
On 5/27/2019 at 8:08 PM, Avatar said:

People in here are really acting like Madonna made the song a hit. :yesokay:

If anything Madonna hurt MATMs radio play. The fans saved the song because of its single cd that had all the remixes on it in stores. Giving it a billboard award the following year. They should have did the same with Toxic, because streaming killed Toxics chart position. 

PATHETIC SILLINESS 😤😤😤😤😤😤

Archived