Billboard Names Britney's "Baby One More Time" The Best Song Of 1999

Slayer

tumblr_medjysujfB1qee6wmo1_500.gif

Not just a career-making song, the Max Martin-helmed debut single from Britney Spears was a watershed in pop music; like similar game changers from MJ or The Beatles, there is pop prior to "…Baby One More Time," and there is pop thereafter. Minimalist in composition yet maximalist in delivery, instantly memorable yet endlessly listenable, "Baby" is a shotgun wedding between lithe funk-pop and the Swedish music machine. It's everything that absolutely should not work, yet it somehow tracks as dangerous, bold and visionary.

"Baby" was also born at the right time. Aside from Mariah, the pop titans of the '80s were never really matched during the '90s, a decade defined by alt-rock and hip-hop's ascendance. The American market was long overdue for new blood to arrive and assume the crown -- or at least throw down the gauntlet in an MTV-documented bloodbath for TRL supremacy. And with her calculated mixture of teenage naïvete and Lolita coquettishness oozing through the mic (not to mention the visual, whose concept Spears fought her director over, insisting it take place in high school vs. outer space), Britney knew exactly how to take that throne.

Twenty years later, those three piano notes are embedded in the brains of anyone who's ever come near a radio; Max Martin has left an impact on pop that rivals any studio auteur of prior generations; and Britney is still Britney, *****. And us? Well, we still believe (still believe!). -- J. Lynch

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either her team is finally dropping hard money on these “top blah blah whatever” list billboard likes to make for extra cas- uh, for fun. :demi: Or Britney’s past success is finally being acknowledged post 2012 (and by somebody who doesn’t work at buzzfeed). 

People besides us do seem to want her to comeback it’s starting to look like. (All late but w/e) 

• Super Mods
1 hour ago, Shrekney said:

Either her team is finally dropping hard money on these “top blah blah whatever” list billboard likes to make for extra cas- uh, for fun. :demi: Or Britney’s past success is finally being acknowledged post 2012 (and by somebody who doesn’t work at buzzfeed). 

People besides us do seem to want her to comeback it’s starting to look like. (All late but w/e) 

I know what you are talking about but I also think it’s more the later just because now people are feeling sympathy towards her because she checked into the mental facility but either way slay cuz it’s about time she gets the respect she deserves because everyone thinks she just got lucky while this article talks about how instrumental she was to the song’s success.

2 hours ago, Shrekney said:

It's just because Ariana Grande didn't have a song in 1999, otherwise she would've been at the top of their list (tied with herself :raven: ) 

10 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

It's just because Ariana Grande didn't have a song in 1999, otherwise she would've been at the top of their list (tied with herself :raven: ) 

ugh I'm so sick of Piranha Grande's pop dominance right now. :sofedup: can't all the other pop girls come back and make pop interesting again, makes me miss 2011. :unbothered:

surprising to see Billboard ranking Britney at #1. it used to be always Beyonka :tysm:

16 minutes ago, Itachi said:

ugh I'm so sick of Piranha Grande's pop dominance right now. :sofedup: can't all the other pop girls come back and make pop interesting again, makes me miss 2011. :unbothered:

surprising to see Billboard ranking Britney at #1. it used to be always Beyonka :tysm:

They've seen the light :crying1: They probably found their old 2013 CD's and re-discovered Britney Jean falling in love with Britney again :yesplease: 

3 minutes ago, Lilith said:

Let's point out that big FAT lie right here tho. :cackling: The schoolgirl concept wasn't Britneys. They just lied and said it was Britneys to avoid any backlash considering she was UNDERAGE at the time and it would look disturbing as hell, along with the rest... questionable photoshoots at that time while she was... underage... :cackling: if people knew that a bunch of old fatties took these decisions for an underage young girl. :cackling:

It WAS her idea though. No one has ever said it was anyone else’s. The label wanted animation, she wanted catholic school girl. She also took it upon herself to want platts and to tie up her shirt. Fact. 

18 minutes ago, Lilith said:

Let's point out that big FAT lie right here tho. :cackling: The schoolgirl concept wasn't Britneys. They just lied and said it was Britneys to avoid any backlash considering she was UNDERAGE at the time and it would look disturbing as hell, along with the rest... questionable photoshoots at that time while she was... underage... :cackling: if people knew that a bunch of old fatties took these decisions for an underage young girl. :cackling:

Oh Gosh.. you are so annoying. You act like you know the truth about Britney’s career and life.Fly down sweetie. You are nobody just like me. 

15 minutes ago, Pinky98 said:

It WAS her idea though. No one has ever said it was anyone else’s. The label wanted animation, she wanted catholic school girl. She also took it upon herself to want platts and to tie up her shirt. Fact. 

Don’t waste your time to reply. He’s just a hater who think to know the truth about everything. 

46 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I can’t stand that bootlegged bratz doll. :wontcry: and last time I acknowledged these “top x songs” billboard likes to churn out every other month it was always mrs camel. :bey:

Does this mean Britney is going to start topping all these asskissing list for a while? :demi:

56 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

1 minute ago, Shrekney said:

I can’t stand that bootlegged bratz doll. :wontcry:

SCREAMING! :gloria:

6 minutes ago, Lilith said:

Where did I act like I know the truth about everything around Britneys career? And what I said about Steve Lunt is in a VIDEO INTERVIEW. How about you go check it yourself and **** off of my notifications?

And oh! Since you think that "nobody knows anything about Britneys career and life" then why choosing to believe the version of Britney choosing the schoolgirl concept but rejecting the version of Britney wanting the ******* animation and the label asking her to do the schoolgirl concept? Why choosing the one version over the other? You act like the label is a bunch of Saints that would neverrrrrr lie LMAO yeah sure, a bunch of old *** farts wouldn't lie about how they decided to use an underage girl in their music video concepts/photoshoots/the lolita-like image :gerlwat: Hmmm...!

Everytime you act like you know her and you know everything. If we talk about Britney and Justin you say “he never cheated on her for sure” who did say it to you? There rumors about he cheated on her. But you for sure know that it isn’t true. 

(I don’t care if he cheated on her btw but at least I don’t act like I know everything). Everybody said BOMT video was a Britney’s idea. She said it too and she never gives herself credit for something she didn’t do. But again, you say it wasn’t her idea because you watched an interview where there are hundreds interviews where everybody said it was Britney’s idea. You act like her team are always and always lying and sinners. Wtf? They aren’t saints but they aren’t all fake.  

Ps: you are so childish downvote all my replies bc I did it to you once ?? grow  up! 

Archived