Billboard Names Britney's "Baby One More Time" The Best Song Of 1999

Slayer

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Lilith said:

Let's point out that big FAT lie right here tho. :cackling: The schoolgirl concept wasn't Britneys. They just lied and said it was Britneys to avoid any backlash considering she was UNDERAGE at the time and it would look disturbing as hell, along with the rest... questionable photoshoots at that time while she was... underage... :cackling: if people knew that a bunch of old fatties took these decisions for an underage young girl. :cackling:

The only reason why I even lean towards “it wasn’t her idea” a bit is bc in that recent documentary that aired after that mess of a lifetime biopic movie, Nigiel (director of Baby and Oops) was sobbing uncontrollably when talking about directing either Baby (or Oops). Like why would he be crying (in a very guilty demeanor) about discussing directing the music video... :wyd: Most people gush and say nice (or bad) stuff about working on set w Britney, but nobody ever cries.. I would not be surprised if he feels awful for having some role into pushing the Lolita image on her, or maybe he just feels like **** bc he chooses to constantly lie about it being exclusively 110% Britney’s idea.

it doesn’t take a genius to know the only way in the universe a label can get away with instructing a 16 year old girl to record and release a song called “Baby One More Time...” in a barely legal looking school girl outfit is if you say it was all her idea.  :bedtime:

it doesnt sit well, and it’s really not so far fetched her label coaxed (a 16 year old) her to go along with it. This is the 90s. Record labels were so different from today and had way too much power over artist than they do today. Especially if it’s a manufactured pop star. 

37 minutes ago, Lilith said:

oh honey, you think they would sign britney to make an animated video? :cackling::cackling::cackling: They lied and said that it was "Britneys idea" to avoid troubles for messing around with an underage girl. Even Steve Lunt said he loved Britneys look and "her **** eyeroll". All that for an underage Britney. Why wouldn't they use a pretty underage girl? You think they would sign her only to make a stupid *** animated video? Lemme laugh.
It wasn't Britney's idea but np carry on your delusional "facts" :cackling::cackling::cackling:

You’re in a very bad mood today clearly :raven:

I’m not gonna argue with you, facts are facts. I’ve been stanning for 20 years, I think I would have heard about it if the video wasn’t her idea. 

Get off off your high horse and stop jumping to conclusions, you’re being rude and causing issues here for no reason.

Go and have a nap, you’re probably tired :umok:

Oh, and find a hobby, you sound overly passionate about this subject :hiii:

Just now, Lilith said:

Britney was a little underage girl that just signed her first contract with the label. The label is not going to risk that money to let a little girl decide what the concept will be. Exactly, it's far easier to take that weight off their shoulders with saying "oh! it was all Britneys idea! not ours! we didn't do anything wrong!" . It's a very very convenient and easy excuse.

Like I want to believe it was all her idea, but like come on.. :ehum:  You have to use your logic at some point. Tbh it would’ve been better if they didn’t even say anything at all. That being said though, Britney has lied before, with the whole virgin thing and not smoking pot. This should be a lesson on how far the entertainment biz can exploit a child.

And it would be more on the old pigs than 16 year old Britney (for those who don’t like to hear she lied bc they love her so much) like what’s the problem here. :wtfdidusay:

Well OF COURSE! I didn't need Billboard or anybody to tell me this. Facts are facts.
Also, this:

39. Britney Spears, "(You Drive Me) Crazy" (The Stop Remix) (No. 10, Hot 100)

The third single from Spears' debut album amped up the drama of “…Baby One More Time,“ but it was the remix included on the soundtrack to the Melissa Joan Heart-Adrian Grenier rom-com Drive Me Crazy in 1999 that really took her "oh baby baby" yearning and twisted it into pounding obsession. The reworked version was hardly unrecognizable -- you still have that ratting cowbell, the perfect sound to evoke a screw coming loose your brain amid an all-consuming crush -- but Spears’ re-recorded vocals, a new spine-tingling intro and her titular ”Stop!“ interjection in the reimagined bridge made it something truly worth losing your mind over. -- N.F.

And about you guys fighting over who truly came up with the video concept for "...Baby," I believe the official story simply because Britney is that badass. Just go check any early video material with her in it, she's so confident and sure about who she is and what she wants. Star power from day one. Only a few popstars like her exist or have ever existed in the world (Elvis, MJ, Madonna... and that's pretty much it). However, she was meant to be marketed as a lolita from day one, didn't even Larry Rudolph say that at some point? Anyways, it's just too obvious, the hints are everywhere from the very beginning (pictures, videos, lyrics). I just think Britney was on the same page, feeling that vibe, and just made that first huge step for them on her own. Her team followed from there.
...and then in 2011 they started the "Femme Fatale" phase and I kinda died a little. :( But oh well, nobody can stay young forever........................... Except for Ricky Martin and J Lo, but that's another topic.

The real story is and always has been, the current concept of the Baby video was and is all Britney's idea. There are COUNTLESS video recordings from that time to prove that point. The label wanted an animated, out of space theme. Britney, being determined and knowing what she wanted, wanted to make a video people her age could relate too. There is so much proof to prove that point. Britney stood up for what she believed in, and it paid off time and time again. Even Nigel **** (Director of the video), gave kudos to Britney's idea and saw her  vision and made that  come to light and agreed her way made more sense and more relateable. Not sure why this has to be debated. I mean really. The concept was all Britney. End of sentence.

10 hours ago, puppylo16 said:

I know what you are talking about but I also think it’s more the later just because now people are feeling sympathy towards her because she checked into the mental facility but either way slay cuz it’s about time she gets the respect she deserves because everyone thinks she just got lucky while this article talks about how instrumental she was to the song’s success.

I dont think it’s sympathy, I think it’s respect. It seems like to everyone else, Britney is owning her mental health and that is something everyone has wanted from Brit since 2007. Whether or not it’s warranted is an entirely different conversation. 

Anyway, I’m so proud of her and this is so deserved. Her music will always stand the test of time, I just hope Britney’s legacy will as well. 

1 hour ago, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

Glory alone >>>>> lemon juice :overwhelm:

I can't believe they were both released in 2016 :embarrassed:

Also, Email my heart >>>> any Beyonka song

Let’s not be delusional... Love Britney and respect her work without having to trash someone else’s work. Lemonade is really an amazing piece of work. And Beyoncé has a lot of amazing songs... and I’m not even a fan :mhmnod:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Sorry about the spoilers... this website is hard to work for a newbie 

6 hours ago, Rob_ said:

Let’s not be delusional... Love Britney and respect her work without having to trash someone else’s work. Lemonade is really an amazing piece of work. And Beyoncé has a lot of amazing songs... and I’m not even a fan :mhmnod:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Sorry about the spoilers... this website is hard to work for a newbie 

I remember when I was a newbie, not so long ago, at the start of this month. Yes the website is hard to figure out but you'll get used to it later on. :cardi:

Opinions are subjective and are different to each individual, for example, read my username. I found Glory better than Lemonade, especially because I was never fond of Lemonade and didn't prefer the musical direction she took for the album in every song, especially on songs like Formation :nochillbrit: I admire her early work like I am Sasha Fierce but I love Glory to death and beyond, every track by track. Also, I love every one of Brit's albums more than any Bey's album, even BJ which gets too much hate. This is all just my opinion, that's the reason I said what I did . If you disagreed with my post, it means we have different tastes, you're open to speak up about it and I'm glad that you did, not just downvote me. :ehno:

I like some of her hits like Halo and If I were a boy.

I mentioned Email my heart especially because like BJ, it's a song that gets undeserving hate too. I even made a thread about it recently. Sorry if I offended you or Bey or anyone for that matter. That was not my direct intention :nervousney:

Welcome to Exhale :kiss:

• Super Mods
9 hours ago, Rob_ said:

I dont think it’s sympathy, I think it’s respect. It seems like to everyone else, Britney is owning her mental health and that is something everyone has wanted from Brit since 2007. Whether or not it’s warranted is an entirely different conversation. 

Anyway, I’m so proud of her and this is so deserved. Her music will always stand the test of time, I just hope Britney’s legacy will as well. 

Yeah that’s a better way of thinking it. I’m glad they are acknowledging her contributions just like 2016 BBMAs video intro giving her mad props because she’s not a dime a dozen like people make her out to be. There’s a reason she’s stayed this long and tbh I think this will only enhance her legacy. People like mystique and a lot of legends have a colorful history of ups and downs, that’s what makes them so captivating and remembered. Look at Marilyn Monroe, she could’ve been just a basic blonde actress but the fact she has a troubled personal life as well helps make her interesting, same with Liz Taylor. 

3 hours ago, Lilith said:

the concept of Baby video was nowhere near Britneys idea lmfaoooo. And no there isn't "countless video recordings proooooving that point" wtf? Where is the evidence to "prove" it was Britneys idea? Yeah sure a label would risk their money on a newly signed underage little girl to risk the concept of a video. They would never trust a little girl with the video concept. Period. It was far easier to them to lie and say it was Britneys idea so they wouldn't get in trouble for using an underage little girl in these music vids concepts/photoshoots/and the whole lolita-like image theme like that. A bunch of grown *** old fatties making decisions for the suggestive/'****' photoshoots/music videos/ lolita-themed image of an underage girl? The public would have a field day tearing them apart. So it was far easier to take that weight off their shoulders and toss the ball to Britney by going "ohh it was britneys idea, not oursss. we are innocent". End of sentence. :well:

Starts at two minutes. 

Not sure why I still have to prove facts. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.billboard.com/amp/articles/columns/pop/8481537/britney-spears-baby-one-more-time-video-nigel-****-interview

https://www.mtv.com/news/1626312/britney-spears-baby-one-more-time-video-director-looks-back/  (2nd paragraph) 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/britney-spearss-baby-one-more-time-turns-15-the-making-of-an-iconic-music-video?ref=scroll

Whose idea was it to make the video something so brilliantly simple: a girl in high school, dancing with her friends?

"Well I came back to L.A. and wrote a treatment, which everybody soundly rejected. It didn’t even get 1 on the Richter Scale. And they said, “Well, Britney’s got an idea. Get on the phone with her.” At which point, I was a bit nonplussed, because you’re thinking, “Oh, I’m going to be taking orders from a 16-year-old now, is that what you’re all saying?” But the thing that I realized was that I was English, she was American. She was the age group that we were trying to make the video for. So you suddenly think perhaps she has a better understanding of her key audience than I do, so perhaps it might behoove me to just shut my mouth and listen. She said, you know, I want to be in a schoolroom with a bunch of cute boys and have a lot of dancing. So that was the kernel of the idea."

https://www.bustle.com/p/britney-spears-baby-one-more-time-20th-anniversary-video-will-immediately-transport-you-back-to-the-90s-12960670

The single, which released on this exact day in 1998, helped to turn the entertainer into a superstar and became one of the best-selling singles of all time, with over 10 million copies sold, according to Billboard. As for the unforgettable music video that accompanied the hit song, which notably featured Spears dancing around the hallways of a high school — well, that was reportedly all Spears' idea, according to Entertainment Weekly. The outlet reveals that Spears came up with the concept after the video's director Nigel **** offered a treatment that former Mickey Mouse Club performer felt was "really cheesy." In an oral history shared by EW on Oct. 23, **** quotes Spears as saying, "I want to be in a school with a bunch of cute boys and do some dancing."

11 minutes ago, Lilith said:

The label would never ever in a million years allow a fresh newly signed underage little girl to RISK the money they put into the contract with her, to have a SAYING in the concept of the video. Simple as that. It's a glaringly blatant lie that "she came up with the concept". It wasn't her idea. They lied bc it takes the weight off of their shoulders for using an underage little girl in their '****'/lolita-themed concepts/videos/shoots etc.

If for example, was running a label myself I would never allow a newly signed underage little girl to have ANY saying in the concept of the video. I wouldn't risk the money i put on. I wouldn't trust her, and why should I? It's BUSINESS, I put the money and I get how I WANT things to be. Same thing Britney's label did. It's not hard concept to grasp. It's BUSINESS. not charity. They were not gonna let a little girl to boss them around on how the video will be with the money THEY put forward. PERIOD

AMEN! educate them girl!:lessons:

Archived