If Britney owns her narrative will it ruin her career

MyAccountGotBanned

With the industry being much more real and social media etc making me much less aspirational, if Britney was to come out and be like

i have anxiety, the general public wants me to fit into a role, im sick of giving more of myself to be ridiculed, I’m not a doll for your enjoyment, fans need to back off and let me live, the convertoship is BS etc etc etc 

if she came out somewhere between Eminem and Demi Lovato . Would that ruin her legacy ... if she came out as the anti Britney Spears 

thoughts ideas ?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, if anything — it’s long overdue. We live in an era where realness and raw emotion is highly valued unlike the 2000s and late 1990s where celebrity culture was more manufactured. Unfortunately, Britney and her PR team is still stuck in the late 90s and 2000s manufactured mindset that selling her product and milking it for everything it’s worth will guarantee success, which is not the case anymore as Britney has not only failed to evolve into her own as an artist, but she has failed to reinvent herself in today’s popular culture.

In some sense, it’s not her fault as she burned herself so quick by the fire she lit, but you’d think after so many years, she would be more confessional with her craft and as an artist. But to answer your question — no it wouldn’t ruin or downgrade her career. If anything, it would make her even more relatable and personable. 

I stumbled upon a fansite that documented the evolution of her albums, from her initial ideas and concepts to the final products and its depressing to see how many times she has tried to be more innovative and personal only to have it shot down. Its especially interesting to note that Britney wanted to do the mid tempo sound since Circus and now that its actually popular her label allowed it and fans claim she is trying to sound like Selena Gomez, when she could have been seen as pioneering the sound. Britney and Britney Jean would have been more Hip Hop, Femme Fatale and Glory would have been more rock. Its actually no suprise that after all this time she basically gave up and just went on autopilot with her career. 

I wouldn’t mind her talking about her struggles. Not in that way though... it would go over poor. 

Britney plays the victim (which she was) but if she would say what you said it opens the door for ppl to be less easy on her. Plus it opens for a huge amount of other questions. Being in the cship actually has helped Britney. 

Ppl use Demi’s overdose to say mean ****.  Might as well not draw attention to stuff tbh 

5 minutes ago, Spearsfan said:

I wouldn’t mind her talking about her struggles. Not in that way though... it would go over poor. 

Britney plays the victim (which she was) but if she would say what you said it opens the door for ppl to be less easy on her. Plus it opens for a huge amount of other questions. Being in the cship actually has helped Britney. 

Ppl use Demi’s overdose to say mean ****.  Might as well not draw attention to stuff tbh 

Demi isn’t likeable and says a lot of things that rub people the wrong way. 

• Super Mods
14 minutes ago, BritneysBitch82 said:

I stumbled upon a fansite that documented the evolution of her albums, from her initial ideas and concepts to the final products and its depressing to see how many times she has tried to be more innovative and personal only to have it shot down. Its especially interesting to note that Britney wanted to do the mid tempo sound since Circus and now that its actually popular her label allowed it and fans claim she is trying to sound like Selena Gomez. Its actually no suprise that after all this time she basically gave up and just went on autopilot with her career. 

Yeah, this is why I’m not too hard on her and understand why she does what she does. It’s frustrating as a fan but I get it, she definitely had a defeated attitude of recent years. 

Larry’s interview always rings in my ear whenever these discussions come up “it’s on trend” is his description of Glory which basically sums up my suspicions about her team and label. I feel like that’s what they say to her when they don’t agree with her direction and only see numbers in their heads. 

3 minutes ago, nels64 said:

I think it would make people respect her more and stop calling her a robot or stop saying she's messed up in the head. If she took her narrative and owned it herself, it would stop letting people speculate and say what they want to say about her. 

I think the secrecy and the overprotectedness is what casts a negative shadow on her. If she were slightly more open it would really help her image. 

It's like when people call you gay (if you're gay) in middle school or high school. The second you come out and say "yeah and what? I am" people kind of don't have anything to hold over your head anymore. 

I agree with you, it's worse continue in this way than do that.

12 minutes ago, nels64 said:

I think it would make people respect her more and stop calling her a robot or stop saying she's messed up in the head. If she took her narrative and owned it herself, it would stop letting people speculate and say what they want to say about her. 

I think the secrecy and the overprotectedness is what casts a negative shadow on her. If she were slightly more open it would really help her image. 

It's like when people call you gay (if you're gay) in middle school or high school. The second you come out and say "yeah and what? I am" people kind of don't have anything to hold over your head anymore. 

Britney never going to care about outside opinion 

She knows who she is and she does not owe her personal business to anyone.

Britney will be Britney

At this point it's almost ludicrous not to address any of her issues herself. I understand she wants to be private which is her absolute right, but where I take issue is when she puts herself out there for us to consume her product and act like nothing has changed and she is still the same superstar. She wants us to buy her music when (at times) she didn't sing it, she wants us to buy tix to her Vegas show where we as superfans know...you never know with Brit if you're gonna get a good show or a bad show, she wants us to buy her perfumes where she puts on an extremely **** image but in interviews she seems as if she has no idea people think she's **** and she just wants to be seen as a mom. It doesn't go both ways. I wish she would open up about her struggles and turn it into a positive and inspirational thing. So much of us deal with very similar things, having Brit open up a little could de-stigmatize a lot of judgments about mental health. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that this is something she deals with on a day to day basis. Just wish she would be honest instead of acting like we as fans can't see how she's changed.

40 minutes ago, puppylo16 said:

Yeah, this is why I’m not too hard on her and understand why she does what she does. It’s frustrating as a fan but I get it, she definitely had a defeated attitude of recent years. 

Larry’s interview always rings in my ear whenever these discussions come up “it’s on trend” is his description of Glory which basically sums up my suspicions about her team and label. I feel like that’s what they say to her when they don’t agree with her direction and only see numbers in their heads. 

Yeah its kind of a double edged sword. On the one side, it turned her into one of the most successful artists of all time. On the other... Music that she has no real attachment too will bore her very quickly (can you just imagine how bored she must be of BOMT now?) 

4 hours ago, Intheblue said:

With the industry being much more real and social media etc making me much less aspirational, if Britney was to come out and be like

i have anxiety, the general public wants me to fit into a role, im sick of giving more of myself to be ridiculed, I’m not a doll for your enjoyment, fans need to back off and let me live, the convertoship is BS etc etc etc 

if she came out somewhere between Eminem and Demi Lovato . Would that ruin her legacy ... if she came out as the anti Britney Spears 

thoughts ideas ?

Britney pretty much came out as the anti-Britney with her actions from 2004 to 2007, but she didn't use it as a gimmick like Demi Lotato and the majority of her own rebellious peers did during the early 2000's. If those things you mentioned couldn't ruin her legacy then, it sure as hell can't now after being in the industry for 20 years. :rlynow:

2 hours ago, DignifiedLove said:

No, if anything — it’s long overdue. We live in an era where realness and raw emotion is highly valued unlike the 2000s and late 1990s where celebrity culture was more manufactured. Unfortunately, Britney and her PR team is still stuck in the late 90s and 2000s manufactured mindset that selling her product and milking it for everything it’s worth will guarantee success, which is not the case anymore as Britney has not only failed to evolve into her own as an artist, but she has failed to reinvent herself in today’s popular culture.

In some sense, it’s not her fault as she burned herself so quick by the fire she lit, but you’d think after so many years, she would be more confessional with her craft and as an artist. But to answer your question — no it wouldn’t ruin her career in the slightest bit. If anything, it would make her even more relatable and personable. 

could not have said it any better myself.

16 minutes ago, Goku said:

Mariah and Demi literally opened about their struggle with bipolar disorder, fans and the GP are now more comprehensive. (well, kinda)

She would benefit from some confession about her mental health, we need to know what's going on with her.

Sadly, I think they're scared of losing money thanks to the stigma around mental disorders so It's not going to happen.

Or maybe Britney does not want folks in her business and wants to keep the focus on her music, shows and other businesses.

I'm sure even she wants to, because from her own words "I don't know what I can or can't say anymore", which increases anxiety in a public manner because she doesn't want to get in trouble anymore.  For The Record was the last time she was really allowed to talk about it, but there parts in it that made her team look bad, which probably increased the restrictions even more to protect themselves, but it's also 'overprotecting' her.  I'm just glad she's in a good place now and in a good relationship and being with her family.

I don't think she necessarily needs to talk about it anymore to the public. But I'm also glad they don't act like it didn't happen. Her last Insta post with the leave announcement mentions that he was always there for her during that dark time.

That being said, I would love for her to express some of it lyrically on her tracks instead of just ****** stuff.  Her old iconic songs had such relevant and and relatable lyrics that almost foreshadowed her life as the years progressed. But they seem to use less of her own writing now even though she's actually really good.

Archived