Can we talk about Everybody?

OohOohStarbucks

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s funny the other day I blasted it in my car along with get back and they used to be my least favorite because I thought they were lackluster production wise but “everybodayyyyy”  is really trippy and the end parts of the song are the best. Get back is just a gritty Britney bop.

It’s a bop. I don’t think it’s her best burn def not her worst. I love her vocals on it too, there’s a bit of growlney in there :badgirl:

13 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

:ugh: because it's horrible? :rude2me:

I genuinely think it's one of Britney's worst songs, along with Get Back.

I’m a new member but I’ve lurked for years (longer than I’m willing to admit) and I respect your opinions and agree with a lot of what you say. However I’m genuinely interested in why you don’t go much on blackout? Get back is also a bop but deserved its bonus track status. 

11 minutes ago, babyimmafreak90 said:

It’s a bop. I don’t think it’s her best burn def not her worst. I love her vocals on it too, there’s a bit of growlney in there :badgirl:

I’m a new member but I’ve lurked for years (longer than I’m willing to admit) and I respect your opinions and agree with a lot of what you say. However I’m genuinely interested in why you don’t go much on blackout? Get back is also a bop but deserved its bonus track status. 

Well, here goes my essay:

Spoiler

It's my least favorite album, I think its sound is just, so un-Britney, like the opposite of everything she had done before and what made me a fan. So many people claim that they were fans before Blackout, and loved her even more after Blackout, but I just can't believe it lol it's like, it just doesn't make any sense to me how someone that fell in love with Britney thanks to BOMT, Oops, Crazy, Lucky, even Slave or Toxic (while racy they were still so much classier and pop and perfect) could hear Blackout or watch the GM video, or POM and feel happy or excited or to think that it was moderately good, like, good for Britney standards.

I wanted to cry when Blackout came out :overwhelm::blol: it was just like, I knew the times that Britney had to go through since she married Kevin, and everything that followed, but somehow her career had remained untouched, up until that point. It was like, her personal problems finally reached her professional life, and it all culminated in the form of Blackout, that VMA's performance and those horrible music videos. And it was depressing to see what she had become. The head-shaving, all the paparazzi stuff, etc, it was like, I knew she wasn't ok, but somehow I had hope she would find a way to put her life back together, and just be the amazing Britney Spears again, but Blackout wasn't and will never be my idea of amazing.

The only thing that gave me hope was when the BTI video came out. Ironically, I know a lot of people in here don't like it, but I love it. It was so well done, and it gave me hope that Britney, the "artist" was still there. I mean, I know she didn't draw it herself or something lol but, a pop sensation like her, the biggest start that existed back then, dared to do an animated video instead of showing herself, I just thought it was so cool, and different than the rest, she proved (to me) she still was better than all the rest, and there was something that made her special. I decided to keep rooting for her, until later that year she released Womanizer, Circus, and I felt like I could breathe again, Britney Spears was still alive :crying1:

It wasn't until after the Circus tour, that I was able to listen to Blackout in full, and little by little I started to tolerate the songs, but some of them were still just awful for me, like, I just couldn't believe my ears, I don't know how to explain it. This was literally me listening to Everybody, Freakshow, Get Naked, etc:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-10077-1348239969-21

Like, I'm not kidding, that was literally my face.  :haha: I couldn't listen to them in full. 10 years later, and I think I can cope with it nowadays, I appreciate for showing us a different side of Britney, to see what she's capable of. But it will never stop being my least favorite album. I think it's good compared to other artists' albums, but compared to other Britney albums, it just fails to be a good Britney album.

Now, there are some songs that I do like:

• Break the Ice (I think it's actually one of the best songs in her catalogue)
  • Ooh Ooh Baby
  • Hot as Ice
  • Toy Soldier
  • Heaven on Earth (took me YEARS to like it)

Outta This World could be great, but it just sounds unfinished. Gimme More and Pice of Me were only tolerable, POM after the Circus Tour performance and GM after FFT, and I think I prefer the version from Vegas.

Radar, I listened to it just because of the music video, but I think from all the singles is the one I like the least. I don't think it's bad, I just think is boring.

Freakshow, again, I ignored it during Circus tour, but I've seen it a million times in POM clips, that I got used to it, but I never listen to it like, on my phone or something. In my brain is just like something from Vegas, like the Missy Elliot medley.

I think many of the unreleased stuff sounds actually better than the album tracklist. I also attribute my aversion to the album to all the Exhalers that overrated it over the years (besides the fact that it reminds me of the worst times of Britney). All the people that I knew, in real life, that were fans of the early music of Britney, just stopped being fans of her because of that album/era. But then I discovered thanks to the internet how many fans she gained because of Gimme More and the whole Blackout, mostly gay people, and I just felt very surprised, like baffled. It took me years to understand or, like, accept the fact that Britney's fanbase was this now, and they were stanning her, because of Blackout :rude2me:

I felt like I was entering some kind of parallel universe (like my other obsession is Pokémon if you hadn't noticed, and I felt the same when the Detective Pikachu trailer came out and everybody loved it, both Pokémon fans and general public, and I just wanted to throw up and move to another narrative where no one would allow that abomination to happen, but I was the only one thinking that way).

I had to accept it, this was my Britney community :whatitellu: but I had to do something, and tired of reading so many nonsense over the years, in 2013 I finally decided to join Exhale to speak up for all of those that didn't think that Blackout was her best album. Nowadays, many people have started to talk more rationally about it, but back then people would kill you if said it wasn't Britney's best album, like literally, I had to experience that myself when I first joined this forum. 

Nowadays I can listen to most of it, usually when I put everything on shuffle, from all her albums, and her songs randomly play from Dear Diary, to Get Naked, or something like that. To hear that contrast is what helps me to overcome that experience. I actually hadn't bought the physical album until, like, 2017 I believe. But something that will never change, is that I just think out of all of the songs, Everybody and Get Back are really her worst songs (officially released) ever. They're just ugly, they sound bad, the instrumentals, the melody, the vocals, it's like :ugh:

1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

Well, here goes my essay:

Hide contents

It's my least favorite album, I think its sound is just, so un-Britney, like the opposite of everything she had done before and what made me a fan. So many people claim that they were fans before Blackout, and loved her even more after Blackout, but I just can't believe it lol it's like, it just doesn't make any sense to me how someone that fell in love with Britney thanks to BOMT, Oops, Crazy, Lucky, even Slave or Toxic (while racy they were still so much classier and pop and perfect) could hear Blackout or watch the GM video, or POM and feel happy or excited or to think that it was moderately good, like, good for Britney standards.

I wanted to cry when Blackout came out :overwhelm::blol: it was just like, I knew the times that Britney had to go through since she married Kevin, and everything that followed, but somehow her career had remained untouched, up until that point. It was like, her personal problems finally reached her professional life, and it all culminated in the form of Blackout, that VMA's performance and those horrible music videos. And it was depressing to see what she had become. The head-shaving, all the paparazzi stuff, etc, it was like, I knew she wasn't ok, but somehow I had hope she would find a way to put her life back together, and just be the amazing Britney Spears again, but Blackout wasn't and will never be my idea of amazing.

The only thing that gave me hope was when the BTI video came out. Ironically, I know a lot of people in here don't like it, but I love it. It was so well done, and it gave me hope that Britney, the "artist" was still there. I mean, I know she didn't draw it herself or something lol but, a pop sensation like her, the biggest start that existed back then, dared to do an animated video instead of showing herself, I just thought it was so cool, and different than the rest, she proved (to me) she still was better than all the rest, and there was something that made her special. I decided to keep rooting for her, until later that year she released Womanizer, Circus, and I felt like I could breathe again, Britney Spears was still alive :crying1:

It wasn't until after the Circus tour, that I was able to listen to Blackout in full, and little by little I started to tolerate the songs, but some of them were still just awful for me, like, I just couldn't believe my ears, I don't know how to explain it. This was literally me listening to Everybody, Freakshow, Get Naked, etc:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-10077-1348239969-21

Like, I'm not kidding, that was literally my face.  :haha: I couldn't listen to them in full. 10 years later, and I think I can cope with it nowadays, I appreciate for showing us a different side of Britney, to see what she's capable of. But it will never stop being my least favorite album. I think it's good compared to other artists' albums, but compared to other Britney albums, it just fails to be a good Britney album.

Now, there are some songs that I do like:

• Break the Ice (I think it's actually one of the best songs in her catalogue)
  • Ooh Ooh Baby
  • Hot as Ice
  • Toy Soldier
  • Heaven on Earth (took me YEARS to like it)

Outta This World could be great, but it just sounds unfinished. Gimme More and Pice of Me were only tolerable, POM after the Circus Tour performance and GM after FFT, and I think I prefer the version from Vegas.

Radar, I listened to it just because of the music video, but I think from all the singles is the one I like the least. I don't think it's bad, I just think is boring.

Freakshow, again, I ignored it during Circus tour, but I've seen it a million times in POM clips, that I got used to it, but I never listen to it like, on my phone or something. In my brain is just like something from Vegas, like the Missy Elliot medley.

I think many of the unreleased stuff sounds actually better than the album tracklist. I also attribute my aversion to the album to all the Exhalers that overrated it over the years (besides the fact that it reminds me of the worst times of Britney). All the people that I knew, in real life, that were fans of the early music of Britney, just stopped being fans of her because of that album/era. But then I discovered thanks to the internet how many fans she gained because of Gimme More and the whole Blackout, mostly gay people, and I just felt very surprised, like baffled. It took me years to understand or, like, accept the fact that Britney's fanbase was this now, and they were stanning her, because of Blackout :rude2me:

I felt like I was entering some kind of parallel universe (like my other obsession is Pokémon if you hadn't noticed, and I felt the same when the Detective Pikachu trailer came out and everybody loved it, both Pokémon fans and general public, and I just wanted to throw up and move to another narrative where no one would allow that abomination to happen, but I was the only one thinking that way).

I had to accept it, this was my Britney community :whatitellu: but I had to do something, and tired of reading so many nonsense over the years, in 2013 I finally decided to join Exhale to speak up for all of those that didn't think that Blackout was her best album. Nowadays, many people have started to talk more rationally about it, but back then people would kill you if said it wasn't Britney's best album, like literally, I had to experience that myself when I first joined this forum. 

Nowadays I can listen to most of it, usually when I put everything on shuffle, from all her albums, and her songs randomly play from Dear Diary, to Get Naked, or something like that. To hear that contrast is what helps me to overcome that experience. I actually hadn't bought the physical album until, like, 2017 I believe. But something that will never change, is that I just think out of all of the songs, Everybody and Get Back are really her worst songs (officially released) ever. They're just ugly, they sound bad, the instrumentals, the melody, the vocals, it's like :ugh:

So I wasn’t quite expecting that but I appreciate and respect your perspective. Thank you for taking the time. 

To me, that album was like the glimmer of light amongst all the noise that was Britney’s life at the time and it showed that she was able to progress and show a different side again after doing that with ITZ. 

I love all the songs on it and I still listen to it in full at least once a month. 

But you bought up that it was so different to what she’d done before and for you, it was in a bad way and that made me think, I’d kill for her to be that experimental again whether I liked it or not. 

Thanks again for the essay :saycheese:

43 minutes ago, babyimmafreak90 said:

So I wasn’t quite expecting that but I appreciate and respect your perspective. Thank you for taking the time. 

To me, that album was like the glimmer of light amongst all the noise that was Britney’s life at the time and it showed that she was able to progress and show a different side again after doing that with ITZ. 

I love all the songs on it and I still listen to it in full at least once a month. 

But you bought up that it was so different to what she’d done before and for you, it was in a bad way and that made me think, I’d kill for her to be that experimental again whether I liked it or not. 

Thanks again for the essay :saycheese:

Yeah, I mean, I understood she's so amazing that she's made people love her, for different reasons, and it's like with all the rhythms and genres she's experimented with, she's given all kinds of fans a little something, a little gem that only they will appreciate. Like, some people may like her for her ballads, or the EDM tracks, the dubstep, the Max Martin songs, etc. and that's great :mhm:

It’s a bop and I listen to it regularly.

I think it’s trashy in a good way, but a lot of fans think it’s trashy in a bad way. Bradley & T. Kyle dragged it on the podcast. 

Also, y’all who hate Get Back need to see the light! It’s truly in my all time top 10, along with other Blackout faves Perfect Lover (probs my #1), Get Naked, and Break The Ice.

Archived