BREAKING DOWN THE BRITNEY SITUATION AND ITS IMPACT ON THE STRIP

zxcvb

"If you’re slightly obsessed with the rotating roster of resident headliners on the Las Vegas Strip (like me), things just got very interesting. Here’s what we know about the indefinite suspension of Britney Spears’ Domination show, which was set to open February 13 at Park MGM’s Park Theater.

Spears’ emotional social media announcement on Friday might sound a little cliché (“I had to make the difficult decision to put my full focus and energy on my family at this time.”) but it makes complete logical sense. Her father Jamie Spears was hospitalized (initially in Las Vegas) for 28 days after his colon ruptured and while he’s expected to make a full recovery, “he still has a long road ahead of him,” in Britney’s Instagram words. Another pop star may not have postponed his or her Vegas show under these particular circumstances, but the Spears family is different. Jamie Spears oversees all of Britney’s business and financial operations through a court-approved conservatorship and has done so since 2008, so it’s understandable that his recovery could sideline this show or any other Britney project.

It’s been reported that ticket sales for Domination were sluggish, but those reports were mostly comparing sales with Lady Gaga’s residency, also at Park Theater. It’s apples to oranges. Gaga is in her prime and brought major buzz to her Vegas debut on December 28 thanks to her Oscar-worthy lead performance in A Star is Born. Selling out the 5,200-seat Park Theater for her first three shows was a cakewalk. And this is Gaga’s first time doing the Vegas thing; Britney famously performed the “Piece of Me” show for four years at Planet Hollywood and sold nearly one million tickets, raking in more than $140 million in revenue in one of the most successful modern residencies in Las Vegas. Most of these Strip headlining shows don’t sell out and that’s a good thing because it allows Vegas visitors to make decisions about what show they want to see after they’ve arrived. You can never predict how successful a residency production will be, but Britney at Park MGM was a very safe bet.

There’s no indication when Domination might actually happen, but considering how close we were to opening night and the considerable investment from MGM Resorts International and promoter Live Nation, it’s likely this is truly a postponed show and not a cancelled show. It’s been reported that Britney’s new deal came with a $500,000-per-show guarantee, a big number that reinforces the idea that she would only cancel under emergency circumstances. Choreographer/director duo Tabitha and Napoleon D’umo have been interacting with Britney fans over the weekend on Twitter and while they’ve been teasing certain details about elements of Domination—and offering plenty of words of support for the Spears family and positive vibes for the “Britney Army”—they don’t appear to have any information about when the show could come back to life.

There are now 32 more open nights at Park Theater in 2019, no longer occupied by a 37-year-old pop culture icon with one of the most dedicated audiences in music. Expect some of them to be filled by Bruno Mars, who has been performing regularly there since New Year’s Eve weekend in 2017. His massive 24K Magic World Tour ended in Hawaii in November and he has no tour dates currently scheduled, but there have been reports that his Park Theater residency isn’t over. Compared to other big headliner venues like the Colosseum at Caesars Palace and Zappos Theater at Planet Hollywood, Park Theater has been very active and flexible in booking one-off concerts and events as well as limited engagements from legacy acts. Queen + Adam Lambert had a successful run there in 2018 and is heading out on tour again this summer, reinvigorated by the success of the biopic Bohemian Rhapsody. Park Theater could (and should) bring them back for 2019.

Live Nation promotes the majority of current big Vegas residency shows, including Lady Gaga, Mariah Carey and the Backstreet Boys. The execs there like to take risks and push the boundaries of what’s possible in Las Vegas entertainment and they’re coming off two wins with Gaga and last year’s (riskier) launch of Gwen Stefani’s Just A Girl show at Planet Hollywood. If Domination doesn’t happen, it could be a sign that it’s time to keep pushing those boundaries and bring more new-to-Vegas and diverse artists to the Strip."

https://lasvegasweekly.com/column/incidental-tourist/2019/jan/06/breaking-down-the-britney-situation-and-its-impact/

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Super Mods

It shows how good lady gaga’s team is. She got great sales because she had huge Oscar buzz from her movie role and her promo from that movie translates to sales. Britney didn’t do anything other than tour, she should have done more promo for Domination or did a killer performance for an award show to get the GP hyped. No new single or anything to keep the public interested in her not even something controversial (her team needs to stop being afraid to let her be “bad”) or maybe there were plans but with her dad being ill was probably why she was MIA

17 minutes ago, puppylo16 said:

It shows how good lady gaga’s team is. She got great sales because she had huge Oscar buzz from her movie role and her promo from that movie translates to sales. Britney didn’t do anything other than tour, she should have done more promo for Domination or did a killer performance for an award show to get the GP hyped. No new single or anything to keep the public interested in her not even something controversial (her team needs to stop being afraid to let her be “bad”) or maybe there were plans but with her dad being ill was probably why she was MIA

Britney does not need a new single to sell her show.  She's still coming with a new show.  She already did a little promo with the announcement and post on Instagram.  It was pretty obvious that the rest of the big promo was going to be saved for later this month leading up to the week of Showtime as expected.

Some of you folks do not seem to understand that the ticket sales were fine and most folks were going buy close to Showtime and you all have a hard time understanding that residencies do not sell like a tour. 

• Super Mods
3 minutes ago, Cappycorn87 said:

Britney does not need a new single to sell her show.  She's still coming with a new show.  She already did a little promo with the announcement and post on Instagram.  It was pretty obvious that the rest of the big promo was going to be saved for later this month leading up to the week of Showtime as expected.

Some of you folks do not seem to understand that the ticket sales were fine and most folks were going buy close to Showtime and you all have a hard time understanding that residencies do not sell like a tour. 

Opening night is usually sold out but it was still half empty. 

Why am I talking to you for you for? You think her farts smell like fantasy.

10 minutes ago, Cappycorn87 said:

I like your positivism... really..

but WHAT BRITNEY TEAM IS DOING... IS SO SO BAD,,,

GAGAS TEAM IS SOOO MUCH BETTER THAN BRITNEYS,

Britney has a lot of advantages... like you said.. she doesn't need new music to sell etc... BUT SHE WOULD SELL SO MUCH BETTER IF SHE HAS NEW MUSIC, 

she would sell better, if she has a better promo plan...

WHY. TO BE MEDIOCRE ? If she has everything and people still love her..

The article has so much sense, the show can't go on if the head (Jamie) is sick, there's contracts, sponsors, deals and more things involve that needs the approval of the conservator and if he can't assume his responsibilities because of his sickness and Britney can´t be performing while her dad is passing for a bad moment, the sum of both things leads to the events for DOM cancellation.

I actually think the show was doing way worse than what it appeared. If you compared days it looked like mgm was giving a lot of tickets away to places. Probably radio etc. 

The news article said they were doing that as well. 

If the show comes back I really hope the realize new music should come out to try and create buzz. 

7 minutes ago, Paulino999 said:

I like your positivism... really..

but WHAT BRITNEY TEAM IS DOING... IS SO SO BAD,,,

GAGAS TEAM IS SOOO MUCH BETTER THAN BRITNEYS,

Britney has a lot of advantages... like you said.. she doesn't need new music to sell etc... BUT SHE WOULD SELL SO MUCH BETTER IF SHE HAS NEW MUSIC, 

she would sell better, if she has a better promo plan...

WHY. TO BE MEDIOCRE ? If she has everything and people still love her..

Britney has a new show,  so it will sell fine

Yeah, I think for the strip is more convenient to get newer artists, that probably will make 1 or 2 years residencies, and then leave to continue with other projects. Vegas is slowly becoming the new "capital" of music shows, and they need to make people to start seeing it as such, and make them expect to see different artists every year or every other year.

Of course the veterans, and now, most likely Britney too, will always be there for the years to come, almost as a lifestyle, but they need to start to make room for new, temporal acts that may want to strike the Vegas residency from their bucket lists.

I think being veeeeeery positive (or delusional) Britney could come back by the time of the dates that hadn't been announced yet (after August) depending of how or what happens with Jamie AND most importantly, which I suppose it's something that's on the table too, what will happen with Britney's legal status. I suppose, that even if Jamie's life isn't threatened (we don't know though) his health might not be the same anymore, and probably they are seeking who else could become her new co-conservator (I doubt they would leave her only with that Wallet guy) or hopefully (but less likely) freeing her from the conservatorship.

What I really think is that it won't be until next year, and I think it would be shorter this time, who knows tbh.

Everybody thinks this was just an excuse for low sales. I don't think so, first of all because MGM would be the ones that should be pissed with the low sales, since Britney was gonna get the same amount of money per night independently of how many empty seats there were. And MGM sounds too calm and comprehensive and supportive of the situation, and even in their post they treated the residency as "postponed" which implies they're really expecting her to come back, eventually, and they're willing to have her again.

Also, assuming this hypothetical situation that low sales was the reason. They must have had since the beginning, I'm talking about the contract, whether the stipulation came from MGM or Britney's party, there should've been some sort of deadline, to say like if by January 1st they hadn't sold a certain amount of tickets, it would be considered a flop and the project would be cancelled. By December, I mean, two or three weeks ago they should've already known how many tickets were sold, and how many were expected to sell in the following days, to know if the hypothetical deadline was gonna be met or not. One week ago they were still posting things and asking fans on Instagram what they wanted to see on the show :wyd: So, I'm pretty sure something important must have changed in the days after the new year. And I don't wanna be negative, but I feel like it must be something related to Jamie's health, they must have been informed about some medical condition or illness or something, or maybe it was something less worrying and more like some kind of emotional talk they had in family that made Britney think twice about their future, or I don't know, but it must've been something very sudden.

What I mean is, I think they're losing more, both Britney and MGM, cancelling the tour than if they kept going with the "low" sales and hoping they would increase after the opening night and the reviews and videos and such. Sadly I think we'll never know and whenever she decides to come back with a single or an album or a new show, I think they'll just pretend this Domination drama never happened or they will just reduce it to one of those one-sentence answers that Larry loves to give to explain scrapped things.

5 minutes ago, Cappycorn87 said:

Britney has a new show,  so it will sell fine

No.. SHE doesn't have anymore... :crying1::crying4: 

i hope soon her dad recovers and they announce new dates, with a new promo plan. New music and that sells amazing....

and that my prerogative remains in the set list,,, with a killer choreo , amazing production, and pre recorded vocals :crying4:

35 minutes ago, Paulino999 said:

No.. SHE doesn't have anymore... :crying1::crying4: 

i hope soon her dad recovers and they announce new dates, with a new promo plan. New music and that sells amazing....

and that my prerogative remains in the set list,,, with a killer choreo , amazing production, and pre recorded vocals :crying4:

I'm sure everything will be fine

"Another pop star may not have postponed his or her Vegas show under these particular circumstances, but the Spears family is different. Jamie Spears oversees all of Britney’s business and financial operations through a court-approved conservatorship and has done so since 2008, so it’s understandable that his recovery could sideline this show or any other Britney project."

Well. I guess there's more than a couple of us who understand why the conservatorship would affect this decision. :whatitellu:

2 hours ago, Cappycorn87 said:

You’re still in that mindset that Britney’s name alone sells. Those days are long gone. 

Archived