SHE REALLY DESERVE VIDEO OF THE YEAR VMA'S 2008 POLL

Alex Murr

We all agree that after the disaster of the 2007 VMA's, Britney deserved some kind of recognition from MTV in the 2008 VMA's , I completely agree with the best pop video, and best female video, but she reality deserved the video of the year? ...being coherent I think not...:britstare11:

for me, more than a great award, it was a great humiliation for her, because we all knew that video was't so great as to win that category,  that looked like... "ok we're going to give you these award just to reward the damage caused in the previous year" a little for pity, all the artists present that night even laughed sarcastically when she won (chris brown and others)

in general the  Vma's 2008, everything look so cheap (although Britney looked incredibly fabulous) and even weirder that the videos of that night have disappeared from the internet while the vma's 2007 there are so many. :tbh:

**** Mtv! :fu:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Super Mods
37 minutes ago, WilderWein said:

I think she won because she is Britney and this was her comeback. Of course “Piece of Me” wasnt the video of the year. Its not a great video at all. 

But then again Havana won video of the year so my respect just walked off the door.

I think POM deserved. She was the comeback kid and that video was far better than most of the nominees in their respected categories.

OT: Looking back though, 2008 was such a garbage time for music. The solidified rise of auto-tune, garbage releases from Lil Wayne (although Tha Carter III was lowkey good but created a cult for those who thought they can rap), Kanye, T-Pain, etc. taking over aka the very early stages of mumble rap, poor music video budgets, end of TRL era, etc. So much of that year would foreshadow what would eventually become of music and the shitty state it's in today. While short-lived, thank God for Gaga who came to the rescue and brought some flavor to the musical landscape for a few years in 2009 and the early 10's.

Piece of Me video only deserved to be buried and erased from our collective memories, especially when none of her actually good videos ever won anything before.

I see the 2011's Video Vanguard Award as some kind of retroactive award, some sort of apology for all the videos that deserved it in the past, but sadly, I also see it as a way of "this also counts for any future video you release, so don't expect more moonmen from us" kind of thing. She hasn't even been nominated ever since the Vanguard Award. Not that she has released many videos or videos that deserved an award, but the fact that Scream & Shout, Work *****, Slumber Party, even Pretty Girls (considering they always nominate the worst things) didn't get a nomination, even for best choreo or something, makes me believe they just won't consider Britney again, unless she releases something that becomes super big, which I doubt at this point. 

I love the Piece of Me video. I was just very happy for her at the time because it was in September 2008 and in January 2008 she was still in a very bad state. :crying1: I was proud. It was a great moment for her. I couldn't believe how healthy, beautiful and happy she looked that night. I don't care if she deserved it or not tbh... Probably not tho. 

53 minutes ago, marioh said:

I love the Piece of Me video. I was just very happy for her at the time because it was in September 2008 and in January 2008 she was still in a very bad state. :crying1: I was proud. It was a great moment for her. I couldn't believe how healthy, beautiful and happy she looked that night. I don't care if she deserved it or not tbh... Probably not tho. 

Everything was perfect, the dress, the make up, the hair, the opening and the first two awards, but...video of the year, it was unnecessary, it' like a joke with all her great videos previosly nominated that clearly deserved that award.

That only showed that all that was bought or givem for pity.

I think I remember Pigez saying (he was on the vma committee) they gave it to her because they wanted to inspire her or some ****.

But I remember that night fondly... I stayed up all night (in UK) to watch it and I remember cheering every time she won.  Back when I was a super-stan  :crying1: 

Yeah MtV failed. They owed Britney everything for their success at the turn of the millenium. By the late 90s, mtv was struggling to get more young viewers. Once Britney came along and resurrected pop music, more youths tuned into mtv. Also, Britney like made music videos an event again. Without her,  shows like Trl and Making the Video would not have been successful. I mean, Britney was the queen of Mtv. Anything she did, they made specials for it. But for whatever reasons, they refused to give her the credit that she well deserved in her prime. 

POM did not deserve 3 Moonmen. In my opinion, MTV only really gave Britney all those rewards in 2008 so they wouldn't look like a**holes and to jump on the fake "pity for Britney" wagon. It just screams "hey, we're so so so sorry about how last year treated you. Here, take this award for your music video, which really wasn't that great, but because of the struggles you went through last year, you earned it. You know what? Take 2 more cause you are such a strong woman!"  

I agree that MTV really did goofed up when it came to Britney. She did deserve Moonmen, but did POM really deserve 3? For favorite female pop video, i guess, but video of the year? best pop video? It's such a mediocre video and is nothing compared to her past videos. Even Britney, herself, was shocked that POM actually won and said that she has made far better videos. 

4 hours ago, WilderWein said:

I think she won because she is Britney and this was her comeback. Of course “Piece of Me” wasnt the video of the year. Its not a great video at all. 

didn't she even admit that the video wasn't even that great?

Archived