Bonnie McKee Talks Katy Perry, ****** Harassment In The Industry And The Evolution Of Pop Music

Jordan Miller

• Leader

With Ross Golan.

Bonnie McKee sheds light on the ups and downs of the biz.

Bonnie McKee is responsible for 10 No. 1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100 and the UK Singles Chart. That includes a handful of songs for Katy Perry ("California Gurls," "Teenage Dream," "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F)"), Britney Spears ("Hold It Against Me"), Taio Cruz ("Dynamite"), Rita Ora ("How We Do (Party)") and Cheryl ("I Don't Care"). In the last several years, McKee has shifted focus onto her own material, transitioning from behind-the-scenes mega songwriter to a bonafide pop star. She released a four-track EP in 2015 titled Bombastic with conceptualized music videos for each song. It was a stunning achievement, but it appears McKee's insatiable appetite for success is never satisfied.

In a candid, hour-long podcast with multi-platinum songwriter Ross Golan (Ariana Grande’s “Dangerous Woman,” Justin Bieber’s “Take You,” Demi Lovato’s “Hold Up,” One Direction’s “If I Could Fly”) as part of his And The Writer Is... series, McKee opens up about her ascent into the industry, her relationship with Perry, working on "Teenage Dream," ****** harassment in the industry, Dr. Luke's "famously bad" recording contracts and how a tumultuous past shaped her into the accomplished songwriter she is today.

It's an extremely in-depth interview, but here are a couple of highlights:

• Bonnie cringes when she hears Cheryl Cole's "I Don't Care" because it was originally meant for her.

• "Teenage Dream," which she described as a “nostalgic love song,” had five versions. One of the original lyrics included: “You make me feel like I’m born again / All brand new c’mon Peter Pan."

• On the evolution of pop music and "unlearning" how to write: "I think the sound has changed [in the industry]. Things are looser now. It's more abstract in a lot of ways which I appreciate," adding pop music is "constantly evolving" and that it's the "most challenging" genres of music.

• "TGIF" is "autobiographical." Bonnie says collectively between her and Katy, "most of those things happened."

• Girls aren't encouraged enough in the music biz to produce.

• The dark side of the industry: "[There's] a lot of ****** harassment," she says. "A lot of that. Sad to say... you sort of get used to it and you kind of learn how to read a room and know what time of day is appropriate." She continues, "there are some people that I won't go to night sessions because people are drinking and things get rowdy."

• On working with Britney Spears on Femme Fatale: "When I was working on Femme Fatale, I hadn't had a bunch of hits yet. 'Hold It Against Me' was my third No. 1, and that hadn't even come out yet. I was still in my fighting to make it place. When things started going well for me is when I started wanting to get sober because I wasn't sad anymore."

• Recants moving to L.A. as a signed artist with two million dollars and blowing through it.

• On her big recording contract: "[Dr.] Luke's deals are famously bad. Everybody knows that. He's a brilliant businessman. He's getting his. He gave me my career. I felt it was a bit of the deal with the devil, but most of these deals are... it's just the face changes. It was a necessary deal and I don't regret it at all."

I know in the digital age, devoting an hour to something feels outrageous, but it's worth a listen:

Also, Katy Perry, call Bonnie back. MMKAY?

Thoughts? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Dripping For Britney said:

Dr luke, bonnie mckee and Katy Perry.  3 people that I cannot stand.

Hold it against me literally involves all 3. Dr Luke, Billboard and Max on production, Bonnie on lyrics, and Katy on background vocals (it was originally for her)

Every time I read Britney, Dr Luke and ****** harassment in the same article my brain goes to weird places.. all I want to know is if Dr. Puke did something to Britney too...

I know I might sound like a crazed fan, but when Circus came out Britney, it seemed like Britney was back to being the strong, confident performer she always was.  But after Femme Fatale the insecure Britney was born (the weight gain and weird interviews)... What happened between 2009 and 2011?

5 hours ago, silviom_ said:

Every time I read Britney, Dr Luke and ****** harassment in the same article my brain goes to weird places.. all I want to know is if Dr. Puke did something to Britney too...

I know I might sound like a crazed fan, but when Circus came out Britney, it seemed like Britney was back to being the strong, confident performer she always was.  But after Femme Fatale the insecure Britney was born (the weight gain and weird interviews)... What happened between 2009 and 2011?

well she had the feeling it all starts over again - the paps, fans, crazy workshedule, time away from the kids...

and

Lace and Leather, circus, and Shattered Glass  were by dr. luke as well

in femme fatale its only one song more produced by dr.luke

5 hours ago, silviom_ said:

I can't see post-conservatorship britney being left alone with a producer.

Honestly, i truly do believe her time is so structured and controlled that dr. luke would NOT have the opportunity or frankly the balls, to **** her, or even make a move on her during their sessions....cause it's like....Britney spears' DAD will **** YOU UP. 

hope that eases your thoughts! lol 

She needs to stop talking and finally get out that album she's been promising us for 4 years. 

bqZpW.gif

9 hours ago, silviom_ said:

Nah.  That fierce inner Southern ***** would have come out and knocked him on his *** in record time.   Besides, she was already insanely famous & successful when she first worked with him, unlike Kesha, so he never would have risked pulling that **** with her.  He seems like the kind of douche who gets off on mistreating people he perceives as below him or indebted to him, and Britney was neither. 

On 30/03/2017 at 4:47 PM, Breathe on me u toxicbitch said:

well she had the feeling it all starts over again - the paps, fans, crazy workshedule, time away from the kids...

and

Lace and Leather, circus, and Shattered Glass  were by dr. luke as well

in femme fatale its only one song more produced by dr.luke

That makes sense.. thanks :)

On 30/03/2017 at 7:02 PM, DirtyMind said:

Nah.  That fierce inner Southern ***** would have come out and knocked him on his *** in record time.   Besides, she was already insanely famous & successful when she first worked with him, unlike Kesha, so he never would have risked pulling that **** with her.  He seems like the kind of douche who gets off on mistreating people he perceives as below him or indebted to him, and Britney was neither. 

"fierce inner Southern *****" LOL that's funny. And yeah what you're saying about Dr. Luke sounds about right (f.e. listen to the recent interview with Bonnie McKee)

On 30/03/2017 at 5:02 PM, MX3 said:

I can't see post-conservatorship britney being left alone with a producer.

Honestly, i truly do believe her time is so structured and controlled that dr. luke would NOT have the opportunity or frankly the balls, to **** her, or even make a move on her during their sessions....cause it's like....Britney spears' DAD will **** YOU UP. 

hope that eases your thoughts! lol 

LMAO you're so funny ... and yes it eases it a bit  

• 1 month later...

Archived