Will Britney Top Janet Jackson's Career?

IconicShow

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Britney already topped Janet's career worldwide. 

First and foremost, none sold +100m albums.  But Britney beats her in that area. Britney has sold over 80m albums while Janet has sold over 73m albums. Also Britney outsold her big time Singles-wise. So we can conclude Britney has sold more records than Janet Jackson. 

Also Janet never had the impact and dominance Britney had outside the US. Janet may have 10 #1s in US but she lacks a bunch of #1s and respectable sales outside the American Market while Britney was a phenomenom everywhere with 6 #1 singles in UK and a lot of #1 singles in every market and global big album sales. 

Britney has also scored a US top 20 hit with 8/9 studio albums (and her only album that didn't "Britney" still scored international hits), while Janet only scored a US Top 20 hit with 6/11 studio albums. 

32 minutes ago, Dinirocal said:

First and foremost, none sold +100m albums.  But Britney beats her in that area. Britney has sold over 80m albums while Janet has sold over 73m albums. Also Britney outsold her big time Singles-wise. So we can conclude Britney has sold more records than Janet Jackson. 

Also Janet never had the impact and dominance Britney had outside the US. Janet may have 10 #1s in US but she lacks a bunch of #1s and respectable sales outside the American Market while Britney was a phenomenom everywhere with 6 #1 singles in UK and a lot of #1 singles in every market and global big album sales. 

Britney has also scored a US top 20 hit with 8/9 studio albums (and her only album that didn't "Britney" still scored international hits), while Janet only scored a US Top 20 hit with 6/11 studio albums. 

Britney Spears easily had more commercial success than Janet Jackson and was a far bigger pop cultural icon.

But in terms of influence on music this isn't close in any capacity.  Janet Jackson has been an inspiration to as many people as Madonna, from Mariah Carey to Lady Gaga.

And everybody should know the impact she's had on Britney.  Any time Britney or any female does a group styled choreography in their music videos, they're taking inspiration/influence from Janet Jackson.

1 hour ago, Dinirocal said:

She's had a #1 single here in Australia and 2 #1 albums and she has one UK #1 album (which Britney doesn't have), plus she's pretty well known in Japan (the 2nd biggest music market) and has respectable sales there (she did toured there back in 2015 with arena dates). It's true though that in terms of record sales worldwide Britney has sold more than Janet but in terms of respect and artistry, Janet has the upper hand on that.

And just this week on the UK version of the dance show "Dance Dance Dance", a contestant just recreated the "Rhythm Nation" dance routine (plus the SCREAM dance routine Janet did with Michael). So Janet too does have an impact outside of the USA.

I would also add that I found this interview very intriguing.

At around the 3:20 mark, Britney Spears says that Janet Jackson opened the doors for her and that Madonna opened the doors for Janet Jackson. (Cher opened the doors for both of them at the end of the day)

So did Madonna open the doors for Janet Jackson or did Michael?

I could see how Madonna's success, as an empowered female artist, opened the door for her contemporaries and the generations after.

But in terms of opening the doors for dance acts in music video/performing, it is simply a fact that no major female dance act modeled their dance style after Madonna

2 hours ago, zxcvb said:

I would also add that I found this interview very intriguing.

At around the 3:20 mark, Britney Spears says that Janet Jackson opened the doors for her and that Madonna opened the doors for Janet Jackson. (Cher opened the doors for both of them at the end of the day)

So did Madonna open the doors for Janet Jackson or did Michael?

I could see how Madonna's success, as an empowered female artist, opened the door for her contemporaries and the generations after.

But in terms of opening the doors for dance acts in music video/performing, it is simply a fact that no major female dance act modeled their dance style after Madonna

I think MJ and Madonna were same time. MJ a little before Madonna with the Jackson 5 but yeah they kinda shaped Janet who shaped Britney.  Janet is the older sister version of Britney lol

6 hours ago, justkeepdoingit said:

*****, janet's career started WAY before britney's did, yet britney's sales **** all over janet's. tell me more about who's music royalty :riha:

btw, what do michael's sales have to do with this? lmfao reaching for the stars?

First of all, Im not stupid. Thats why I said 30 YEARS IN THE BUSINESS. The general public will NEVER put Britney ahead of Janet, hell they dont even put her ahead of Beyonce.

Britney's sales do not **** all over hers seeing as tho her last THREE albums barely scanned 1 million worldwide or didnt at all. Only reason u said that is her first few albums.

You better hope and pray they Britney is selling out concerts at Janet's age. Vegas is a whole nother story. Everything I stated is a fact.

You britards kill me sometimes. You get on here complaining about Britney and everything she does wrong but then when another artist is brought up she's sooooooo much better than them. Please log off and find a man to occupy your time.

10 minutes ago, Phonography423 said:

First of all, Im not stupid. Thats why I said 30 YEARS IN THE BUSINESS. The general public will NEVER put Britney ahead of Janet, hell they dont even put her ahead of Beyonce.

Britney's sales do not **** all over hers seeing as tho her last THREE albums barely scanned 1 million worldwide or didnt at all. Only reason u said that is her first few albums.

You better hope and pray they Britney is selling out concerts at Janet's age. Vegas is a whole nother story. Everything I stated is a fact.

You britards kill me sometimes. You get on here complaining about Britney and everything she does wrong but then when another artist is brought up she's sooooooo much better than them. Please log off and find a man to occupy your time.

the GP doesn't give a flying **** about JJ in 2017, boo. don't reach. most people wouldn't be able to name 5 janet songs if you asked them. 

britney is still pretty relevant, especially compared to janet. all of today's young pop stars cite britney as an influence, no one names janet. she hasn't had a memorable hit since 2002. like someone already mentioned, janet's always been more of a local US act. 

btw, this is coming from someone who likes janet jackson... but your delusion is definitely way too real.

Janet biggest album in UK is a 2x Platinum album, she never had a 1million album in UK while Britney's biggest album there is at 4x Platinum, and she has two 1million selling albums in UK plus another at +900K, in other words, Britney's 3rd biggest album in UK is still bigger than Janet's most successful album there and its pretty much like that nearly everywhere. Regarding singles  for every #1 Janet has on international market Britney has like 4x / 5x more, definately Britney outdid her.

of course Janet's influence is bigger, and I would say mostly in America, but Britney topped Janet's career, she's ahead Janet already, bigger album seller, bigger global impact and bigger hitmaker. 

Well at least the GP does use Janet's music in 2017 for political causes as demonstrated below for the Women's March :P (And "Nasty" went viral last year thanks to Donald Trump's comment about Hillary being a nasty woman when Janet was not even active in music!)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/JanetEuphoria/permalink/678716392300085/ (private fb group though, don't know if you can see the video publicly)

And here's the video of the UK Dance Dance Dance show with the Rhythm Nation routine.

But getting back to the topic, yes Britney's commercial success is definitely bigger than Janet's, but respect...probably not so much.

If she would've put the same effort in it as Janet did/does she would've topped her easily. 

Janet has always delivered fierce and flawless performances. If Britney doesn't get her former 

drive back her career and relevancy will only go further downhill. 

:nyheadache:

I'm not trying to be mean here, but..........

Janet hasn't had a #1 single in over 15 years on the BB Hot 100.
Her lead single from her latest album peaked at #67.
Before 2015, Janet hadn't had any of her singles enter the Billboard Hot 100 since 2007. (10 Years)
She also hasn't had a single peak in the top 40 or even 50 in over 10 years either.
Its getting closer to 2 decades now where the GP haven't been interested in any new music by Janet.
Her albums seem to do either well or so-so, but that seems to be solely down to her fan base making that happen, not the GP.
She's had 11 albums with 7 of them landing at #1 and has sold an apparent 'estimated' sum of 100 million records WW.
Her other 4 albums landed at #2, #63 and #147.

When you go by singles and tours which appeal more to the GP, they haven't been that impressive.
Janet has done 7 tours throughout the course of her 3 decade career.
Her most recent was in 2016, however ended up being cancelled/postponed due to falling pregnant. It brought in $8 mill with 37 tour dates.
Her previous tour to that was in 2011 and had over 80 show dates. It brought in $26.5 million.
The tour before that in 2008 brought in $11 million with 16 show dates, that's pretty good though tbf.
The tour before that brought in $48.1 million with over 70 show dates.

Britney has sold an estimated sum of 200 million records WW in under 2 decades.
Britney's lead single 'Make Me' from her 9th studio album made it into the top 20 on the BB Hot 100 with no promo.
Britney has 9 studio albums with 6 of them landing at #1 on the BB 200 Chart and all of them being in the top 5, including her greatest hits album.
Britney has 2 diamond certified albums, 5 platinum albums, 1 gold album and 34 hit singles on the BB Hot 100 chart.
Britney's last #1 single was 5 years ago and she gained 2 #1 singles in that same year.
Since then she's still managed to gain top 20, 30 and 40 hits without promo with Work *****, Pretty Girls and Make Me.
In total Britney has had 86 #1 singles worldwide and is the 6th artist in the world with the most #1 singles of all time.

Britney has done 7 tours and 1 residency. 
Britney's last tour was in 2011 (FFT) and made up to almost $70 million (68.7 mill) with 79 show dates.
Her previous tour to that (Circus) was in 2009 and made over $131 million with 97 show dates.
Her previous tour to that (Onyx) was in 2004 and made up to over $60 million with 54 tour dates.
Britney's current residency has/will gross over $100 million with 200 show dates.
Its been the #1 show consecutively for over 2/3 years with her winning Best Resident Performer just last year.

15 hours ago, justkeepdoingit said:

*****, janet's career started WAY before britney's did, yet britney's sales **** all over janet's. tell me more about who's music royalty :riha:

btw, what do michael's sales have to do with this? lmfao reaching for the stars?

MTE

That' like if someone referenced Jamie Lynn as being Britney' sister so she automatically ***** on most singers lol.

***** sounds delusional as ****, Britney has been slaying Janet since 99, besides Vocally Britney is a stronger singer than Jan.

People talk about Britney lipping however when's the last time Janet sang a full song live? :riha:

Janet's videos have been **** since Feedback, So Excited and the All For You era.Britney_Spears-21.gif

12 hours ago, zxcvb said:

Britney Spears easily had more commercial success than Janet Jackson and was a far bigger pop cultural icon.

But in terms of influence on music this isn't close in any capacity.  Janet Jackson has been an inspiration to as many people as Madonna, from Mariah Carey to Lady Gaga.

And everybody should know the impact she's had on Britney.  Any time Britney or any female does a group styled choreography in their music videos, they're taking inspiration/influence from Janet Jackson.

People forget that this woman was responsible for Janet's amazing choreography and dance routines.

tumblr_o8udswtQAc1r90m4vo1_400.gif

43 minutes ago, IconicShow said:

People forget that this woman was responsible for Janet's amazing choreography and dance routines.

tumblr_o8udswtQAc1r90m4vo1_400.gif

Not exactly.  The influential "Pleasure Principle" was not choreographed by Paula Abdul and neither was even more influential "Rhythm Nation", a choreography more acclaimed than any one done by Paula Abdul.   Nor the videos after.

This is simply a template that Janet Jackson set for a female pop/r&b star and she has to be given the credit, especially since just about every female dance act afterwards modeled themselves after it.

Just now, zxcvb said:

Not exactly.  The influential "Pleasure Principle" was not choreographed by Paula Abdul and neither was even more influential Rhythm Nation, a choreography more acclaimed than any one done by Paula Abdul.   Nor the videos after.

This is simply a template that Janet Jackson set for a female pop/r&b star and she has to be given the credit, especially since just about every female dance act afterwards modeled themselves after it.

Janet was noticed for her dance during the time she hit it big which was when Paula choreographed

Archived