Will Britney Top Janet Jackson's Career?

IconicShow

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, IconicShow said:

Janet was noticed for her dance during the time she hit it big which was when Paula choreographed

Of course, but if it wasn't for Janet Jackson we wouldn't hear about Paula Abdul either.

So credit Paula Abdul for the choreography, but Janet Jackson had a consistent style that lasted way beyond Paula Abdul and was emulated by every major female  dance act since then.

Janet and Britney share a lot of similarities, but Janet has something that sets her apart from Britney: she's more involved with her craft and many of her famous lyrics are politically engaged. Janet spoke about depression, HIV, LGBTQ rights, domestic violence, abuse, virtual relationships, self esteem issues, etc, etc. The public seems to perceive Janet as a more serious and less manufactured artist than Britney, even though she is less world wide known.

I mean... listen to 'Velvet Rope', 'janet.' 'Rhythm Nation 1814'. Those albums were revolutionary and touched so many people's lives.
Britney is not known to have "universal" lyrics, songs that mostly everybody can relate to, other than her fanbase... she might have them, but they don't get to be chosen as singles or even to be included in her albums. I don't think Britney should get political or anything, but we all knows she's way deeper than she's perceived to be and maybe she should expose that on her work.

Janet tried to be oversexual on albums like "Damita Jo" (2004), "20 Y.O." (2006) and "Discipline" (2008) (with the help of her then husband Jermaine Dupri) and the strategy didn't bring her the same success as before. On "Unbreakable" she went back to Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis and the general public started caring for her again, cause she brought that old formula she's loved for (songs about overcoming hardships). The album went #1 with absolutely no promo... she got pregnant and the project was abandoned, but "Unbreakable" showed that she was on the right track again.

11 hours ago, morango said:

Janet and Britney share a lot of similarities, but Janet has something that sets her apart from Britney: she's more involved with her craft and many of her famous lyrics are politically engaged. Janet spoke about depression, HIV, LGBTQ rights, domestic violence, abuse, virtual relationships, self esteem issues, etc, etc. The public seems to perceive Janet as a more serious and less manufactured artist than Britney, even though she is less world wide known.

I mean... listen to 'Velvet Rope', 'janet.' 'Rhythm Nation 1814'. Those albums were revolutionary and touched so many people's lives.
Britney is not known to have "universal" lyrics, songs that mostly everybody can relate to, other than her fanbase... she might have them, but they don't get to be chosen as singles or even to be included in her albums. I don't think Britney should get political or anything, but we all knows she's way deeper than she's perceived to be and maybe she should expose that on her work.

Janet tried to be oversexual on albums like "Damita Jo" (2004), "20 Y.O." (2006) and "Discipline" (2008) (with the help of her then husband Jermaine Dupri) and the strategy didn't bring her the same success as before. On "Unbreakable" she went back to Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis and the general public started caring for her again, cause she brought that old formula she's loved for (songs about overcoming hardships). The album went #1 with absolutely no promo... she got pregnant and the project was abandoned, but "Unbreakable" showed that she was on the right track again.

Jan is the queen of lipping.

She's an incredible dancer but, in her career she hasn't had many hits post All For You Album.

Britney has had bigger hits as her 16 year music career has been going.

13 hours ago, IconicShow said:

Jan is the queen of lipping.

She's an incredible dancer but, in her career she hasn't had many hits post All For You Album.

Britney has had bigger hits as her 16 year music career has been going.

Did you read my post? :)

I agree Britney has had bigger hits, but on my post I spoke precisely about Janet's artistry and not only about her commercial success. I mentioned Janet didn't have the same success on the last decade, because she chose the wrong and obvious path of oversexualization.

Britney is indeed more famous and successful than Janet nowadays, but she's not as respected.
Janet does lipsynchs, but she still has very complex choreographies and she's still able to deliver live vocals.

40 minutes ago, colormefresh said:

Imagine if Britney piggybacked off of Bryan Spears' success. She'd be dragged for eternity and deemed illegitimate. Somehow Janet's whispery *** gets a pass?

anigif_original-grid-image-13908-1422469

Miss American Dream since she was 17 and 100% self-made. Stay angry, Janet stans.

giphy.gif

oh my god, stop being such a Britard, Janet has a legacy of her own that has nothing to do with Michael.

If MJ was the reason for his sister's success and impact then i wonder why Latoya didn't have a career like Janet :sofedup:

lol, I'm from Europe and I don't even know a single song from Janet.. beside that collabo with her brother, Scream. 

And secondly, America isn't the only big market in the world.. Britney is a WORLD WIDE ACT QUEEN, just like Madonna! That's why Britney and Madonna >> Mariah, Whitney and Janet! Facts are facts! :queenriri:

In the us Janet may be very well known, but she's not bigger than Britney! Toxic and Baby alone >>>>>>>> ***** on your fave 

On 1/25/2017 at 2:19 AM, GetBack98 said:

Janet latest album went #1 tho and lbr, she is and has always been a better dancer than Britney.

However, Britney's prime era was more global and overall she's more known worldwide than Janet.

i have to agree with this.

despite low sales, Janet latest album was kinda critically-acclaimed and praised overall. i remember reading a lot of nice critics saying that she took a step from being behind his brother's shadow in terms of sound and experience. 

On 1/25/2017 at 2:23 AM, BoyToySoldier said:

neither did Britney Jean :queenriri:

Janet Unbreakable album is MUCH BETTER than Britney Jean quality-wise. it's on Glory's level, tbh.

• 2 years later...
On 1/25/2017 at 2:13 PM, Kiiddy said:

I'm not trying to be mean here, but..........

Janet hasn't had a #1 single in over 15 years on the BB Hot 100.
Her lead single from her latest album peaked at #67.
Before 2015, Janet hadn't had any of her singles enter the Billboard Hot 100 since 2007. (10 Years)
She also hasn't had a single peak in the top 40 or even 50 in over 10 years either.
Its getting closer to 2 decades now where the GP haven't been interested in any new music by Janet.
Her albums seem to do either well or so-so, but that seems to be solely down to her fan base making that happen, not the GP.
She's had 11 albums with 7 of them landing at #1 and has sold an apparent 'estimated' sum of 100 million records WW.
Her other 4 albums landed at #2, #63 and #147.

When you go by singles and tours which appeal more to the GP, they haven't been that impressive.
Janet has done 7 tours throughout the course of her 3 decade career.
Her most recent was in 2016, however ended up being cancelled/postponed due to falling pregnant. It brought in $8 mill with 37 tour dates.
Her previous tour to that was in 2011 and had over 80 show dates. It brought in $26.5 million.
The tour before that in 2008 brought in $11 million with 16 show dates, that's pretty good though tbf.
The tour before that brought in $48.1 million with over 70 show dates.

Britney has sold an estimated sum of 200 million records WW in under 2 decades.
Britney's lead single 'Make Me' from her 9th studio album made it into the top 20 on the BB Hot 100 with no promo.
Britney has 9 studio albums with 6 of them landing at #1 on the BB 200 Chart and all of them being in the top 5, including her greatest hits album.
Britney has 2 diamond certified albums, 5 platinum albums, 1 gold album and 34 hit singles on the BB Hot 100 chart.
Britney's last #1 single was 5 years ago and she gained 2 #1 singles in that same year.
Since then she's still managed to gain top 20, 30 and 40 hits without promo with Work *****, Pretty Girls and Make Me.
In total Britney has had 86 #1 singles worldwide and is the 6th artist in the world with the most #1 singles of all time.

Britney has done 7 tours and 1 residency. 
Britney's last tour was in 2011 (FFT) and made up to almost $70 million (68.7 mill) with 79 show dates.
Her previous tour to that (Circus) was in 2009 and made over $131 million with 97 show dates.
Her previous tour to that (Onyx) was in 2004 and made up to over $60 million with 54 tour dates.
Britney's current residency has/will gross over $100 million with 200 show dates.
Its been the #1 show consecutively for over 2/3 years with her winning Best Resident Performer just last year.

Slay those numbers hunni

On 1/25/2017 at 10:13 PM, Kiiddy said:

I'm not trying to be mean here, but..........

Janet hasn't had a #1 single in over 15 years on the BB Hot 100.
Her lead single from her latest album peaked at #67.
Before 2015, Janet hadn't had any of her singles enter the Billboard Hot 100 since 2007. (10 Years)
She also hasn't had a single peak in the top 40 or even 50 in over 10 years either.
Its getting closer to 2 decades now where the GP haven't been interested in any new music by Janet.
Her albums seem to do either well or so-so, but that seems to be solely down to her fan base making that happen, not the GP.
She's had 11 albums with 7 of them landing at #1 and has sold an apparent 'estimated' sum of 100 million records WW.
Her other 4 albums landed at #2, #63 and #147.

When you go by singles and tours which appeal more to the GP, they haven't been that impressive.
Janet has done 7 tours throughout the course of her 3 decade career.
Her most recent was in 2016, however ended up being cancelled/postponed due to falling pregnant. It brought in $8 mill with 37 tour dates.
Her previous tour to that was in 2011 and had over 80 show dates. It brought in $26.5 million.
The tour before that in 2008 brought in $11 million with 16 show dates, that's pretty good though tbf.
The tour before that brought in $48.1 million with over 70 show dates.

Britney has sold an estimated sum of 200 million records WW in under 2 decades.
Britney's lead single 'Make Me' from her 9th studio album made it into the top 20 on the BB Hot 100 with no promo.
Britney has 9 studio albums with 6 of them landing at #1 on the BB 200 Chart and all of them being in the top 5, including her greatest hits album.
Britney has 2 diamond certified albums, 5 platinum albums, 1 gold album and 34 hit singles on the BB Hot 100 chart.
Britney's last #1 single was 5 years ago and she gained 2 #1 singles in that same year.
Since then she's still managed to gain top 20, 30 and 40 hits without promo with Work *****, Pretty Girls and Make Me.
In total Britney has had 86 #1 singles worldwide and is the 6th artist in the world with the most #1 singles of all time.

Britney has done 7 tours and 1 residency. 
Britney's last tour was in 2011 (FFT) and made up to almost $70 million (68.7 mill) with 79 show dates.
Her previous tour to that (Circus) was in 2009 and made over $131 million with 97 show dates.
Her previous tour to that (Onyx) was in 2004 and made up to over $60 million with 54 tour dates.
Britney's current residency has/will gross over $100 million with 200 show dates.
Its been the #1 show consecutively for over 2/3 years with her winning Best Resident Performer just last year.

I was about to comment but you said everything so... facts are facts. But besides Janet, Britney should work harder if she want to have another number 1 ever again, she can do so much better and we all know it.

:brityes:

i cant with yall bringing a two year old thread back to life. Since you did, tho:

I LOVE Janet. The essence of the perfomer Britney is comes 90% from JJ and thimgs she invented. That being said, perhaps you USA based fans have no idea of how local she is. Apart from MJ fans who got into her because she was his sister, you'd find very few people who actually stan her nowadays lmao. She is a better singer and performer than Britney, but nowadays Britney is ten times a bigger star.

Archived