What Happened With Britney Spears?

Curious_1110

3 hours ago, Curious_1110 said:

Well some black people watch both BET and MTV. But I also grew up with people who only watched Rap City or 106 & Park after school who would look at me like I was crazy if I turned to MTV. so they weren't following or caring about TRL and stuff like that. 

And I didn't say her music doesn't appeal to me because I'm black. I said I'm a black guy that likes hip hop and that puts me out of her target audience. She doesn't make music for me. She makes music, in my opinion, for gay white guys and any woman that can relate. That's not to say black gay guys can't be fans/stans and love her just as much. 

I'm a gay male, and I didn't take offense to the way you posted, or what you posted at all. I blame it on the hypersensitive PC culture that exploded circa 1990. Now you can't even tell the truth without being called racist, or 'offensive'. Look what's happening now, you're black, a minority yourself, and you have people calling you 'offensive', or perceiving you as offensive. 

I don't care if there are some straight black males that do listen to Britney, the majority of straight black males aren't Britney's target audience, and that's the truth. I can also bet that if you told your black male friends you had '...Baby One More Time' and 'Oops!... I Did It Again' in your CD collection back in 1999/2000, you would have had your *** laughed at.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, brit4u1998 said:

I'm a gay male, and I didn't take offense to the way you posted, or what you posted at all. I blame it on the hypersensitive PC culture that exploded circa 1990. Now you can't even tell the truth without being called racist, or 'offensive'. Look what's happening now, you're black, a minority yourself, and you have people calling you 'offensive', or perceiving you as offensive. 

I don't care if there are some straight black males that do listen to Britney, the majority of straight black males aren't Britney's target audience, and that's the truth. I can also bet that if you told your black male friends you had '...Baby One More Time' and 'Oops!... I Did It Again' in your CD collection back in 1999/2000, you would have had your *** laughed at.

This is all I was trying to say. Its actually more of a statement on how far across the pop culture spectrum her presence was back then. But I'm glad someone gets what I was trying to say.

I kept hanging around here because it was interesting to me that some of the people responding couldn't even believe that someone could only know the name of one Britney Spears song. Or that a black person could only be interested in or know about Britney Spears due to the people that she collaborated with. Even though those black collaborators have way more influence on black people as a whole than Britney. 

28 minutes ago, EDM said:

This **** is so fake. What's your alternate account?

I don't have an alternate account. Not sure why everybody is on the offense. If you want to know about something or someone is it not best to get the information from people who follow that persons career. 

Same as if I wanted to know about the Red Assault. I'd go to someone who was or is a massive Chicago Bulls fans that could tell me about the heydays of Jordan-Rodman-Pippen. 

It's surprising that seeking out information about this girl has people side eyeing or whatever. I didn't see the harm in signing up here and interacting with people that I know are extremely different than me and anyone that I'm around in my real day to day life. 

I know that Britney Spears is/was a huge name. Do I know a lot about her? No. Am I a fan of her music? Not all of it. Do I respect her influence on pop culture? Yes. Do I understand her influence on pop culture? Not entirely but I'm starting to by reading some of the responses here. 

During Britney's reign the main conversation in my environment was who won the battle between Nas' Ether or Jay's The Takeover. She just wasn't talked about but I was aware of her and liked a few songs. Like I've said before she was like a young Madonna. Just an artist too big to ignore so unless you lived under a rock you recognized the name "Britney Spears". 

When her breakdown happened I was in my freshman/sophomore year of college. I heard about it but was too busy with real life stuff to get to caught up in all of it. I felt bad for her but it wasn't like I kept up with the play by play of her downfall.

So admittedly I kinda forgot about her until this year and that appearance made me want to know more about her and what happened after I stopped paying attention. 

39 minutes ago, Curious_1110 said:

It's surprising that seeking out information about this girl has people side eyeing or whatever. I didn't see the harm in signing up here and interacting with people that I know are extremely different than me and anyone that I'm around in my real day to day life. 

I know that Britney Spears is/was a huge name. Do I know a lot about her? No. Am I a fan of her music? Not all of it. Do I respect her influence on pop culture? Yes. Do I understand her influence on pop culture? Not entirely but I'm starting to by reading some of the responses here. 

During Britney's reign the main conversation in my environment was who won the battle between Nas' Ether or Jay's The Takeover. She just wasn't talked about but I was aware of her and liked a few songs. Like I've said before she was like a young Madonna. Just an artist too big to ignore so unless you lived under a rock you recognized the name "Britney Spears". 

When her breakdown happened I was in my freshman/sophomore year of college. I heard about it but was too busy with real life stuff to get to caught up in all of it. I felt bad for her but it wasn't like I kept up with the play by play of her downfall.

So admittedly I kinda forgot about her until this year and that appearance made me want to know more about her and what happened after I stopped paying attention. 

I think a lot of people on Exhale are very protective of Britney and thats why you might get some harsh answers.

Few artists have been so scrutinized as she has. The closest comparison I can think of is Michael Jackson. The amount of hate and bullying has been enormous for reasons that make no sense unless your a down right sociopath. A lot of us feared for her life on a daily basis back in 2007-2008.

So: It's not you or even the fanbase (well mostly). It's about how she's been treated and taken avdantage of in the past.

Hope you wanna stick around here!

1 hour ago, Curious_1110 said:

I send you a private message!

9 hours ago, Shaq Fu said:

Danja isn't a household name?

You might have heard of an album that he was the main producer of called FUTURESEX/LOVESOUNDS that outsold Blackout by a factor of 4.5

i got respect for OP tho he reps The Neptunes, Timbaland and Danja and not JT or Britney. finally somebody from the GP comes in here and says who the real primary artists are.

if you still here, do you remember any of the other Cheiron Productions songs besides Baby One More Time and Oops? Other songs by them include It's Gonna Be Me, Larger Than Life, Everybody, Sometimes, Quit Playing Games With My Heart, Stronger, Tearin' Up My Heart, I Want You Back, I Want It That Way, Bye Bye Bye, You Drive Me Crazy

The fact he produced a successful album does not make him an household name you mongrel. 

14 minutes ago, blindspots said:

I think a lot of people on Exhale are very protective of Britney and thats why you might get some harsh answers.

Few artists have been so scrutinized as she has. The closest comparison I can think of is Michael Jackson. The amount of hate and bullying has been enormous for reasons that make no sense unless your a down right sociopath. A lot of us feared for her life on a daily basis back in 2007-2008.

So: It's not you or even the fanbase (well mostly). It's about how she's been treated and taken avdantage of in the past.

Hope you wanna stick around here!

I can't say that I fully understand being protective over a celebrity but I get where you're coming from. 

This kinda reminds me of a situation I had with someone that was a huge fan of Prince when he died. I knew of Prince, knew Purple Rain the song but never saw the movie. But I respected him as a pop legend and even called him a musical genius without even being that familiar with his discography. It's just I grew up knowing he was a legend and he was a musical genius without knowing why.

Same with Britney Spears, Nsync, ect. I knew they were there, knew they were huge and just respected them for what they did for their audience. 

6 minutes ago, King Billy said:

The fact he produced a successful album does not make him an household name you mongrel. 

Thats kind of a situational thing. If I said Danja in a conversation about music around a group of people I know, they'd know exactly who I was referring to. If only for his connection to Timb

5 minutes ago, Curious_1110 said:

I can't say that I fully understand being protective over a celebrity but I get where you're coming from. 

This kinda reminds me of a situation I had with someone that was a huge fan of Prince when he died. I knew of Prince, knew Purple Rain the song but never saw the movie. But I respected him as a pop legend and even called him a musical genius without even being that familiar with his discography. It's just I grew up knowing he was a legend and he was a musical genius without knowing why.

Same with Britney Spears, Nsync, ect. I knew they were there, knew they were huge and just respected them for what they did for their audience. 

Because Britney isn't just a celebrity. We have grown up with her and we watched the media rip her to shreds. We watched basically everybody rip her to shreds including for a time I should imagine even our family and friends. To us she is not just a celebrity. A lot of us have seen her go from a 15 year old popstar to a 34 year old mother. It's not like we just like her music. I'd bet that the majority of us here prefer Britney herself to Britney's discography. Even though her music is good. 

10 minutes ago, King Billy said:

Because Britney isn't just a celebrity. We have grown up with her and we watched the media rip her to shreds. We watched basically everybody rip her to shreds including for a time I should imagine even our family and friends. To us she is not just a celebrity. A lot of us have seen her go from a 15 year old popstar to a 34 year old mother. It's not like we just like her music. I'd bet that the majority of us here prefer Britney herself to Britney's discography. Even though her music is good. 

I get that from you guys and like I told the person that messaged me, I started seeing her and her story from you guys perspective. Because Britney is to you guys what Lauryn Hill is to me and a lot of hip hop heads. A woman that struggled with her fame and people's perception of who she was supposed to be. Now people that aren't fans or used to be fans call her crazy and deranged because her music and image is different and they judge her on that before they get to know the story of why she does things the way she does now. 

5 minutes ago, Curious_1110 said:

??? I don't get it. They're both corny & I can't get into their type of "hip hop" but can you explain

Britney made a song with Iggy called pretty girls and will produced her album Britney Jean in 2013

20 minutes ago, Curious_1110 said:

It's like we're from completely different worlds lol. Even with his work on the show Empire (those songs are trash) you don't think Timbaland is well known?

Just wondering are you from the US? 

I like empire and I didn't know he produced the music on it. I'm from England. 

3 minutes ago, King Billy said:

Britney made a song with Iggy called pretty girls and will produced her album Britney Jean in 2013

I like empire and I didn't know he produced the music on it. I'm from England. 

I don't get how those are bad things. A performance of the Iggy song was posted awhile back, I wasn't a fan of it but it sounded like some DJ Mustard would do but waaaaaaay more "pop" sounding. So I'm not sure what that person meant by that. 

And see that's where we're different majority of people that I know that watch Empire are very aware that Timbaland produces almost every song they sing on the show.

I guess it's just a cultural thing within hip hop to know who the DJs/producers are...goes way back to house and block parties, you had to know who was DJing so you'd know whether it was worth the time going or if it was gonna be lame

Just so you know, in a new interview that came out today Britney said she is done with all the pop star thing.

''Can she see herself on stage, doing the pop star thing when she's Madonna's age?  ''Nope. Nah. Give me five - two ? - more years, and yeah.'' Britney says. Enjoy Britney Spears - the defining pop star of her generation - while you can. ''

That's it. She is done. She doesn't want to be the biggest pop star out there anymore, she is boycotting her own career dealing with it as her daily job... 

1 minute ago, Curious_1110 said:

I don't get how those are bad things. A performance of the Iggy song was posted awhile back, I wasn't a fan of it but it sounded like some DJ Mustard would do but waaaaaaay more "pop" sounding. So I'm not sure what that person meant by that. 

And see that's where we're different majority of people that I know that watch Empire are very aware that Timbaland produces almost every song they sing on the show.

I guess it's just a cultural thing within hip hop to know who the DJs/producers are...goes way back to house and block parties, you had to know who was DJing so you'd know whether it was worth the time going or if it was gonna be lame

But I'm into DJs as well and I know basically every producer on the hot 100 and I'm white. I'm really confused by all of this. You seem nice enough but from what I can see it just seems to me like a Beyonce fan or something joining the forum to discount Britney's fame at the moment and rile us up. Maybe I'm wrong. That's the impression you give though. 

Archived