What Happened With Britney Spears?

Curious_1110

2 hours ago, Curious_1110 said:

There's actually quite a few ..Toxic is the first one that comes to mind but it's probably the only one I know by name. I'm more familiar with her videos. The song where they danced in the hallway with strobe lights and the limo stretched is another one I like. Mainly her songs that are mor hip hop influenced

If you're looking for hip hop influenced songs ITZ, Blackout and Glory are the best albums to check out. You say you have ITZ and some Blackout songs. Also listen to Mannequin and Kill The Lights from Circus (produced by Danja) and The Answer from ITZ. The latter was a bonus track.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, SomeoneGimmeBritney said:

If you're looking for hip hop influenced songs ITZ, Blackout and Glory are the best albums to check out. You say you have ITZ and some Blackout songs. Also listen to Mannequin and Kill The Lights from Circus (produced by Danja) and The Answer from ITZ. The latter was a bonus track.

I'm not really asking about songs for me to checkout what I'm asking is what happened to Britney Spears??? Is she with the same management team? If she is, why aren't they making her visible like they used to? Does she even want to put new music out? Is she obligated to do a certain amount of albums and that's why she's releasing now? Where are her fans to spread the word about her? Granted I'm black and most people I associate with are black so there's that. Did she do something to alienate her fanbase?

I want to give OP the benefit of a doubt. I was around when Britney came out with BOMT so I've been following the music she's put out since the very beginning. But I know a lot of people aren't like me or us. OP said that he mainly likes other genres of music and probably only a few of Britney's songs slipped in under the radar. You don't hear from this artist for awhile and you suddenly see her pop up*..it might be a case of "Wow, I thought the last stuff she released was that "Toxic" song. Where did she go to?" 

*Breakdown time. Okay, if you pay attention to celebrity gossip you'd know about Britney's breakdown. But there are a lot of people that shun that stuff, I know I certainly do now because of how I saw Charlie Sheen being handled in the media. I pulled the plug. I keep just aware enough to know if somebody I like is performing, putting out something, etc.  OP might be the same way.

I admit I'm a "looker" myself. I compare what OP's doing to what I do when I'm watching old shows on tv. If somebody catches my eye, I'll look them up on imdb to see if they're still alive, what else they've done and since I must love to punish myself--I look up how old they were when they did that specific episode to see if I'm older than they are. Yeah, I realize how nerdy that last part sounds. :eheeek:

4 hours ago, Curious_1110 said:

I'm not really asking about songs for me to checkout what I'm asking is what happened to Britney Spears??? Is she with the same management team? If she is, why aren't they making her visible like they used to? Does she even want to put new music out? Is she obligated to do a certain amount of albums and that's why she's releasing now? Where are her fans to spread the word about her? Granted I'm black and most people I associate with are black so there's that. Did she do something to alienate her fanbase?

I think the visibility from her breakdown is what made that crack wide open. I remember seeing a picture of Britney in her car and she literally had the car swarmed with paps. I'm not trying to insult anybody when I say this next part. Compare it to a party scene. Britney when she first started out could be the life of the party, go from this group to that group to chat it up with total ease. I'm not saying Britney's the wallflower of the party now. I just think she prefers to do the few things that make her comfortable + give her plenty of time so she can spend time with her sons. I don't think it's a case of wanting to go back to the past and have that career where she's all over the place, doing everything. She's more guarded with what she's went through. The **** she's been through could change anybody tbh. 

As for the general population from a music frame of mind--people do tend to move on. I know there's a lot I've moved away from. Talking about the pop explosion in the late 90s with BSB, N'SYNC, Britney, Christina--Britney's the only one that made it to my current interest list. I realize N'SYNC broke up but it's not a case of still playing their old stuff or even tracking the members that went off to solo stuff. I couldn't name a current BSB song if my life depended on it, I also don't listen to the old stuff. Christina's a strange case to me. I still like some of her old songs and I liked a few of her songs she's released recently over the years but I don't actively follow her career. I guess I just never warmed up to her the way I did to Britney.

Argh, I know my post is getting long so I'll end this here.

6 hours ago, Curious_1110 said:

I've never signed up to a forum before and I'm a 27 year old guy that doesn't get involved in stan culture too much but I grew up on MTV/TRL/VMA's. Had no idea Britney Spears had a new album or song out until the VMA's this year and after her set on the show I was confused about what I was watching, it wasn't just her it was the whole show but she stuck out to me in particular. To be honest I was never a Britney fan but because she was a mainstay on MTV you couldn't help but be exposed to her and she was nice to look at, made some nice songs and videos, cool performances ect. After talking to a few friends of mine that are into the whole Stan thing I heard about this place so I looked through a couple pages but couldn't find anything about whats going on with her and why she seems so detached. 

Well it really did all start with the breakdown.

She got help and started to get better in 2008, which was when her official comeback started with a new album.

In 2011, she released another album and got back into the swing of things, but she seemed tired and medicated to many people. Fans call 2011 Britney "Robotney" for a reason. It's mean, but it's typically accurate. Her album that year was successful and she was in the spotlight a bit, but not as much as she had been for the first ten years of her career.

Then in 2012, she was a judge on the second season of the American talent show X-Factor, and aside from some very funny faces, and some harsh judgments towards contestants, she didn't really make much of an impact, and the ratings were pretty bad (she was hired in an attempt to bring up ratings, actually).

Since X-Factor, she's pretty much kept her head down and tried to stay out of the public eye as much as possible. She had a worldwide hit (Scream & Shout with will.i.am) but aside from that, she hasn't really had much success on a global scale, and she's been performing in Vegas with a Greatest Hits show.

She released an album in 2013, Britney Jean, but we don't talk about that because it's trash and only had like 2 or 3 salvageable songs on it. Then she released a collab with Iggy Azalea in 2015, which was her first foray into the spotlight since 2011, and she even performed it at the 2015 BBMA's.

britney-spears-performance-bbmas-show-20

She also had a collab with Miley Cyrus on Bangerz (the album that Wrecking Ball and We Can't Stop was on), and some old disco artist named Giorgio Moroder. Her collab with Moroder, a cover of some 1980's song called "Tom's Diner" was released as a single after her collab with Iggy, but both collabs failed to make a major impact.

And now we come to 2016. She participated in a charity single for the Orlando shooting called "Hands", then she released her single "Make Me", then she released the video and her album Glory, and now she's performed on both the Today Show and the VMAs. She's also set to perform at both the iHeart Music Festival and the Apple Music Festival in the next month. :yaknow: 

So yeah, the reason she's not plastered everywhere like she was in our youth is because she doesn't want to be. She fears having that same level of harassment by the paparazzi and the media that she did a decade ago, and that fear is justified considering some of the articles posted after her VMAs performance.

She's also never really been the same person. Yeah, you can still see glimpses of the old Britney, but she's lost a lot of herself and she's still picking up the pieces each and every day.

To me, the biggest issue Britney is clearly dealing with is that fame nearly killed her. That's the sort of experience 99.9% of celebrities have never faced before. They go to jail, they get in car accidents, etc. but they have never been a public target and had their fame turn into a weapon to be used against them, like Britney faced.

Because of that, I think she struggles with wanting to know if she should continue in this industry or not. At this point, I feel like her choices are - become a hermit who stays at home forever and continue being the world's biggest popstar; or actively pull back from the scene so that her image and fame isn't so big and unmanageable anymore. So I think that's the reason she refuses to promote, wants to stay in Vegas, and keep releasing album.

The Beatles went through the exact same thing, just so you know. Their solution was to break up after 7 years. Britney is still going forward with her career HER way after 17 years. Legend.

3 minutes ago, D_Britfan said:

Are those two things supposed to be linked like that? Cause im prii sure britney doesnt actively say "i dont want black people to like my music" she has plenty of black fans. Poor wording i think.

Yes. It's the same as me recognizing that I am not Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, or Taylor Swifts target audience. The same way you wouldn't be the target audience for people Im a fan of like Young M.a, Shy Glizzy or Gucci Mane 

23 minutes ago, glitterfalls said:

I think the visibility from her breakdown is what made that crack wide open. I remember seeing a picture of Britney in her car and she literally had the car swarmed with paps. I'm not trying to insult anybody when I say this next part. Compare it to a party scene. Britney when she first started out could be the life of the party, go from this group to that group to chat it up with total ease. I'm not saying Britney's the wallflower of the party now. I just think she prefers to do the few things that make her comfortable + give her plenty of time so she can spend time with her sons. I don't think it's a case of wanting to go back to the past and have that career where she's all over the place, doing everything. She's more guarded with what she's went through. The **** she's been through could change anybody tbh. 

As for the general population from a music frame of mind--people do tend to move on. I know there's a lot I've moved away from. Talking about the pop explosion in the late 90s with BSB, N'SYNC, Britney, Christina--Britney's the only one that made it to my current interest list. I realize N'SYNC broke up but it's not a case of still playing their old stuff or even tracking the members that went off to solo stuff. I couldn't name a current BSB song if my life depended on it, I also don't listen to the old stuff. Christina's a strange case to me. I still like some of her old songs and I liked a few of her songs she's released recently over the years but I don't actively follow her career. I guess I just never warmed up to her the way I did to Britney.

Argh, I know my post is getting long so I'll end this here.

I get that about her breakdown and not wanting that level of fame and public scrutiny, totally understandable. I guess seeing her on that stage was for me signaling a comeback and return to pop culture awareness but maybe it was just a victory lap after everything she's been through. 

7 minutes ago, BrittonJeanSpears said:

Black audiences and pop audiences aren't mutually exclusive, however. :queenflopga: 

Neve said they were, but for some reason I don't see Britney and her producers in the studio making Toxic and thinking yeah the streets are gonna go crazy off this record. Unlike say Jay Z whose newest song I Got The Keys is targeted to me and my demographic 

2 minutes ago, Curious_1110 said:

Neve said they were, but for some reason I don't see Britney and her producers in the studio making Toxic and thinking yeah the streets are gonna go crazy off this record. Unlike say Jay Z whose newest song I Got The Keys is targeted to me and my demographic 

That is true, but I don't like to think of products like that. "Oh it's not my demographic". "Oh they're not targetting my age and gender"

That's marketing talk. Marketers are the ones to be worried about that, I'm worried about whether I enjoy such product. I don't think even Britney is worried about that.

Spoiler

I know plenty of black people who are Britney stans. The biggest Britney fan I've ever met in person was black and she was such a sweetheart.

17 minutes ago, Applejack said:

That is true, but I don't like to think of products like that. "Oh it's not my demographic". "Oh they're not targetting my age and gender"

That's marketing talk. Marketers are the ones to be worried about that, I'm worried about whether I enjoy such product. I don't think even Britney is worried about that.

Hide contents

I know plenty of black people who are Britney stans. The biggest Britney fan I've ever met in person was black and she was such a sweetheart.

I didn't mean to offend anyone by saying that, it was really just to show how her presence reached people that weren't necessarily her target audience. I never met a black person that was a stan of hers but I do know that most people I grew up with can recognize and sing along a bit to a few of her songs. 

23 minutes ago, britsangel90 said:

what do you mean not available any more?

I don't know, I didn't even search :hype: but I've seen several threads of people complaining about the old stuff being gone, so I'm not sure if the 2013, 2104 archives are still there.

Maybe I could find some of the threads where people put Britney Jean above almost every album, except for ITZ and Blackout

1 hour ago, Curious_1110 said:

Well, the point is you wanted to know about Britney. :tbh: Have all of your questions been answered or are you wondering about anything else?

First of all like many celebs she started feeling like a zoo animal only to exist to please her spectators or gawkers.. Lots of celebrities especially those that were child or teen starts actually end up dying young or suicide from the pressures and stress of the lime light! She's doing pretty damn good considering and until anyone has been in her shoes no one has any room to talk or be judgmental! 

Archived