Blame the post-circus eras

Cookie Lyon

3 hours ago, Cookie Lyon said:

Everything that went wrong after circus are hurting this era

Y'all wonder why she came from +300k 1st week sales in the US, best female artist tour in 2009

To what is happening right now?

Even though she is doing promo nobody gives a flying **** about Glory.

Only 7k in France, a country where she used to have a big fanbase (3 bercy stadium in a row in 2009).

If Britney and her team want people to stop thinking she is done and untalented, she has to be bring her A+ game for the next performances.

Remember at the VMAs she was even overshadowed by Rih and Ariana

i would not say she was overshadowed by ariana. i don't think many people remember that performance at all. i do think she was overshadowed by beyonce and rih, and i think it's totally understandable. beyonce gave a 16 minute performance - now i don't think she deserved that much time and she should've been given a regular spot and what not, but we can't change the fact that it happened. so given what beyonce did, i think it's understandable that britney was overshadowed by beyonce. fair? no, since britney was billed as the headliner and beyonce should not have gotten 16 minutes, considering she got her chance when she performed the entire BEYONCE album a few years ago.

with regard to rihanna, i think it's fair that she overshadowed britney as well. it was really RIHANNA'S night. she was performing 4 times. acepting the video vanguard award. it was supposed to be HER night. britney had her moment in 2011. but i think it's fair and understandable that britney was overshadowed by rihanna. i DON'T think it was fair that britney and rihanna were both overshadowed by beyonce, considereing that the night was supposed to be about rihanna and britney, and beyonce had her video vanguard performance already.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's mostly hers and her team's fault (which team tbh? papa spears,55yo Larry and that other 40yo girl with the hearts on her shoes), but it's our fault too. 

What have we ever done to make them change things? 

Complaining about lack of BJ promo, they're like "ok, big deal, they'll get over it".

Deciding to do Vegas, we're like "NO!!!!", they're like "You'll get over it." :nobitch:

Scrapping Original Perfume vid, which is NOT ok, because this time they weren't just hurting her image, but the director's too, forcing him to have his name in a video he doesn't like. And instead of listening to us, her fans, and releasing it, their answer was more like "ok since you're being *******, this era is done and you're not getting another video".

Then how should we create hype until her next album? WE'LL DESIGN LINGERIE.

Of course it flopped, what the hell. :xcuseme:

Then, it's rumored she'll duet with Iggy, the most hated hip hop artist in the world at the time, we're like NO, they're like "well, we want to."

PG happens. Awful. It flops. 
We're stuck with awful quality Vegas clips, since her team is so cheap that they don't even pay a professional photographer for BRITNEY ******* SPEARS. :yeahsure:

They know we think Vegas is good for her as a person, because it helped her stop and take a breath, something they didn't let her do when she truly needed to, but it's destroying her career, and instead of ending it when she got her confidence back, they're like "She's gonna be in Vegas for 2 more years." We're like, no, we don't want to, they're like "You'll get used to it, we don't care."

We get momney on instagram, which is perfectly fine, she adores her boys and I love that about her, but when she's in Vegas, nobody gives a flying ****, and the only promotion are her social media posts, and her posts are pictures of her children, pics that we like, but the general public doesn't give a **** about.

Then V magazine happens. The GP is like "ok that looks nothing like Britney" because they haven't payed attention to her in forever, and they don't know what she looks like now, because her team is awful in promoting. :ipass:

Then Make Me video happens. We're like "this video is tragic, release the original one", and instead of releasing the original one or at least a clean version of it if that's why it got scrapped, once again, they're like "They'll get over it in a few weeks, like they always do."

Then the VMAs. "The VMAs don't just give you a stage...They give you story. Once again, it's history. Once again, it's Britney, *****." 

We weren't delusional to think that the ***** would snatch weaves, they created hype intentionally. :boredashell:

Then we got an okay performance. Just ok. At the VMAs.

Yes, I love her, and I think that finding the strength to come back in the stage that almost ruined her 9 years ago, was great. But the general public doesn't care about that. They care about what they see. Her team's reaction of us hating the performance? "Whatever, they'll get over it again."

They don't give a **** about what we want, when was the last time they heard us? When we hated the POM wigs? Big deal. She didn't even attent the PCA last year, and they didn't care to inform us until after the show.  

Not to mention that the "hot blond girl with revealing leotards" clearly isn't working for her anymore, if it ever did.

So since we always complain, and we have reasons to, and then we forget about everything a week or two later, they don't give a **** about us. We have to find a way to be loud again. But it's so hard for this fanbase to do something, all of us, together. :donewithit:

The only way for her to win her fans and the GP back, is:

- Doing something to help her image, like actually start suing magazines/websites/etc because she's not as relevant as she used to be, and right now they can hurt her image.

-End Vegas, ASAP.

-Start singing live, or at least go to Ellen, or another relevant show and just sit on a chair and sing live. An easy song, like Just Luv Me. I'm sure she can, I don't ******* get why she hasn't done this in so many years, since they know it's the #1 reason to hate Britney. :embarrassney:

-Pre-record vocals for when she's dancing and learn how to lipsync again, because it's obvious af.

-Hire new choreographers and stop scrapping the original choreos, she has to give her 110% at this point.

-Promote the **** out of the second single.

And the last thing I think she should do, is opening up about her mental illnesses, or her breakdown. Of course I know that these things aren't things you should use to make headlines, but I think it'd truly help her image, only if she's ok with that of course. Celebrities, other from Demi, never talk about how important mental illnesses are, and I think they'd love her if she sit down to talk about that. That's all. :donewithit:

I don't understand why there's so much hate about the Femme Fatale era. Regardless of her promo performances that time, she was doing decent on radio. Femme Fatale gave her the most number of radio hits EVER. The promotional appearances didn't affect that at all. She just came up with good music, actually promoted and her songs were catchy as hell.

She was lipsyching during the Femme Fatale era, but at least people thought she was singing live because of pre-recorded vocals and from time-to-time, you can actually hear her singing over the track. There are even performances I saw on Youtube that I swear, I think she's really singing live. 

It was really the X Factor that started her slow but painful demise, and Vegas is the culmination of everything that is wrong about how her team handled her career. Obviously Britney may have made the final decision on her move to Vegas, but the way this is all going now, she doesn't need to stay in Vegas especially if she wants to release more albums in the future. Does her team think that she can command a lot of money if she can only sell 30-50K units of an album in the future? They'll be lucky if they even have a record label who would sign her up, or any music producer who would want to work with her at all. I'm guessing even MTV knows this so they decided to put her in a crap spot despite the whole 'comeback' thing.

Even her appearances on TV do not command the same type of hype or ratings like it used to be. Jane The Virgin didn't get the bump it was obviously expecting for her appearance, and she also looked lousy during the entire guesting. Her BBMA and MTV VMA appearances did not command the ratings bump that she used to command in the 2000s and early 2010s. 

The reality check is pretty simple, if you ask me. We can all respect that Britney wants to be a full-time mother, and that's fine. That can work. But let's not be delusional in thinking that if only her team handled her appearances effectively, and if only she had the sense to perform and entertain well, she could have both really. She can limit her appearances to really good performances, make sure that she's still family-oriented etc. etc. without sacrificing the thing that keeps giving her the money she needs to have a good life. 

I think it's a combination of what everyone is saying. We are her loyal fans and have been watching how badly her career has been handled over the past few years. It all started with FF, because Circus era was flawless. FF was a solid album but Britney wasn't into it. And things since then have steadily gone down in terms of Britney in the eyes of the GP. Vegas is the finally "hoorah" for a career, having Brit does Vegas was a BAD move no matter which way you look at it. She's hidden away from the GP as a novelty act :donewithit:

Sadly it's bringing in the coins, so Papa Spears is happy & Brit's comfortable with a semi-normal life. I can't say I blame her, but it's sad because even though I don't personally care about numbers and success, without it there is no career. And with no career I won't have Brit & I can't deal :embarrassney:

3 hours ago, laurelhenessy said:

Sorry, Femme Fatale is a flawless album. It took her to the new decade. The promos sucked but Femme Fatale made her sound current. It spawned Hold It Against Me and the club-banger Till The World Ends, which is still being played until now.

If you wanna know the truth, VEGAS is the career-ender. A lot of people keep saying it helped her regain confidence and that she changed the face of Vegas but it did nothing for her career and relevance with the GP.

You are 101 percent true. The comment with which I could identify the most.

Vegas indeed has given her stability but Vegas is nothing but a career killer. The gp has moved over saying 'Oh she's a has been, shes only selling a bit in Vegas. I have heard this line from 10000 of people.

1 hour ago, Hypnotherapy said:

Circus was the start of it, in fact.

Circus sold well because of the comeback hype. The CD was averagely reviewed and dropped off quickly. The tour was praised for its production, but Brit herself was panned. She did basically no promo after the CD was released and her promo performaces in Europe (or at least the UK) faced some of the worst criticism she's ever had.

Femme Fatale actually had great chart numbers, but again the promo was criticised and Brit wasn't visible after the CD was released. The tour was praised a bit more than Circus, but there wasn't enough of a push from Britney to get a the GP more involved.

X-FActor was a hugely wasted opportunity. Brit didn't talk much let alone perform a single or push her stuff on TV. Again faced criticism for being distant and absent, especially compared to Demi who used the show as a platform.

BJ was the nail in the coffin as not only was the music weak, but there was zero promo and Brit hid away in Vegas. Her brand has changed and it works amazingly for her. She can easily fill the theatre and is performing really well. However, you can't expect the GP to buy into you as a current Top 10 artist if you're playing to crowds of 3000 6 weeks on and off and with no public performances for 4 years.

Over thae last year Britney has improved more than she has in a decade. Her body is incredible. Her performances have gotten better. She seems more comfortable on stage and off stage. She seems to have taken real care with the album and Glory is a great album, she's done a few good promo performances even, but this should have came years ago. People wanted Brit to succeed, but its taken almost a decade after her comeback to get to a consistent standard of music and performances. They should have taken a longer break after Blackout and came back fully prepared and happy.

At this stage it's Brit's nostalgia and star power that she is known for, not for her skills or talents.

And maybe that's how it just has to be for her. Judging by Ellen and Carpool, she is not comfortable on TV. The 'it's unfair she followed Beyonce' comments are insulting. She's Britney ******* Spears, Beyonce OPENED for her once upon a time. Brit is her contemporary, and should be expected to put on as good a show as she does. However, if she can't then we have to accecpt she's not going to enjoy HUGE commercial success from the GP. Let's be honest, Brit hasn't had a performance on tour or TV since 2004 that could 'shut down' an awards show. BBMAs was great and sets the bar for Britney going forward I think. VMAs was good, and she should certainly aim to not fall under that standard.

Britney is such a weird artist in many ways. She purposefully shuts off her audience. She doesn't sing a word live. Every. Single. Song. is about *** pretty much. She doesn't know what her songs mean, who writes them etc, she's just putting out fun music. And that's great. But in today's world people buy into an artist who connects with them, invites them in, releases meme-able music and interviews and portraits this obtainable celebrity lifestyle. Live vocals are more prevalent than they have been in years. Even basic pop stars are trying to put meaning into songs and talking about mental health, politics etc and giving their stuff SOME meaning. There's no denying that no other popstar is judged on how 'happy and healthy' they are. And we know why Brit's an exception here.

Britney's fanbase grew up with her, but her career hasn't grown in so long. You can't expect the millions of fans who loved her at 16 to still want to listen to the same sort of song a decade or two later really. 

And that's fine. Britney's most important priority is being happy and healthy and her family. And I'm always going to be a fan of that, we should just stop worrying about charts and GP's opinion on her because she's not changing so let's just hope for the best Britney she can be.

LOL I'm not even 100% sure how much sense I made there...

All the sense. :gobaby:

She has not done too good lately but she can rebound again.

In order to do WW tour, she needs maximum exposure so people start looking after her and she needs to slay that performance.

I know that it's not likely to happen but she should really do the Super Bowl. Over 100 MILLION PEOPLE watch it, it's really big. If she perfoms, does a phenomenal choreo and pre record vocals, I think that would help her a lot...

5 hours ago, Spearsfan said:

I don't think they realized all the damage they have done the way these last five years have been. 

They literally thought her name alone was gonna sell forever. 

Her name alone will sell forever tho :saycheese:

Maybe not as much as it used to but always enough to give her a very comfortable and luxiorious life :donewithit:

4 hours ago, derick said:

Circus sold 500k with a leak get it right *****:bichpls:

but I agree she did a lot of damage five years worth and she needs to repair that image. She should release "if I'm dancing" as second single and ****** DANCE and Idc bout radio or single worthy(I do think it's both it had a viral dance community feel) 

she dances her best in videos and considering she's a MUCH better dancer now then she was in 2013 yet she still SLAYED in Wb I think she would SLAY primeney level NOW (if I'm dancing is a better song than wb...she made wb iconic with that video) plus she needs to sing or pre record her vocals she's the ONLY artist that uses ****** cd vocals and it's pathetic.,.im done with her "Idc bout haters or proving myself attitude" b/c if she wants success which she obv does b/c now she's promotin, doin her best music, lookin her best, she needs to deliver she is confident and more than capable but she needs to stop bein so damn basic no one gives a **** about MOMNEY so suck it up and slay the stage leave MOMNEY at home and when your that "character" u speak of do it 100% there was way more to Britney than being a hot blonde who lip sync which is ALL the gp sees her as now ..she was a SINGER and phenomenal DANCER/live performer...she can dance but chooses to dumb **** down if she kept the complex choreography for make me and done that in the video it would have saved that snooze fest and if she had done that choreography at the vmas she would have gotten a different response of course haters were gonna hate either way but the lip synching would have been excusable 

I agree with you in almost everything you said, but the part where I disagree is that she really wants success. It goes without saying that she wants to sell well, which is why she has done some promo, but that isn´t enough motivation for her to decide to practice her *** off in order to deliver a perfect and complicated performance. She´s just not that into it, and clearly she thinks that the least she can do without being extremely simple the better. Her promo performances including VMAs were good, she has energy and possibly are one of the best performances we´ve had from her in years, nevertheless she can do that with ease, she´s not really pushing herself and tbh I don´t think she really wants to anymore :crying1:

Shes doing great. Larry was right when he said people dont really buy albums anymore, with exceptions of course (Drake), they need to deliver good singles and music videos, and that's whats going wrong here. Make Me, while we all like it, its not a very good lead single and the whole video mess ruined this. 

They need to release an amazing video so that we can move on :feelingmyself:

5 minutes ago, Jite91 said:

Her name alone will sell forever tho :saycheese:

Maybe not as much as it used to but always enough to give her a very comfortable and luxiorious life :donewithit:

I disagree. Many successful ppl had to declare bankruptcy because of mismanaging careers and money. Justin Bieber needed this successful era because he was low on money. 

1 hour ago, nels64 said:

Not even people with schizophrenia or severe bipolar disorder are put under conservatorships most of the time. 

She was an ablebodied ableminded person before the breakdown. She had a tough time. She was burnt the **** out. Even if she did have a mental disorder. There is nothing severe enough she could possibly have to have her under conservatorship for almost 10 years. 

The whole situation is ****** up and designed to protect and make money. 

preach! 
the girl with schizophrenia did AMA on Reddit and she said she can handle herself and doesn't even tell about her illness at work 
and you tell me Britney deserves to be under one? she probably just has anxiety and depression (in the past)
the person who came out with the idea of c-ship isn't a part of her familly, it's all about business
lbr Britney wouldn't go on tour right after all this damage, I personally believe rumours about "they take her kids away if she refuses to work"
the situation with custody was fragile back then...poor Brit
now it could be both ways...she could deal with being in this position or you are actually right

5 hours ago, Cookie Lyon said:

Everything that went wrong after circus are hurting this era

Y'all wonder why she came from +300k 1st week sales in the US, best female artist tour in 2009

To what is happening right now?

Even though she is doing promo nobody gives a flying **** about Glory.

Only 7k in France, a country where she used to have a big fanbase (3 bercy stadium in a row in 2009).

If Britney and her team want people to stop thinking she is done and untalented, she has to be bring her A+ game for the next performances.

Remember at the VMAs she was even overshadowed by Rih and Ariana

You are totally right.

She has to bring her performances to the next level and, in my opinion, that involves live singing. I know she's been lip synching during her entire career, but times have changed. Everyone is singing live, singing over the track or at least prerecording their vocals nowadays.

If she wants to earn respect as an artist, she can't keep on blatantly lip synching to her CD vocals.

1 hour ago, Hypnotherapy said:

And maybe that's how it just has to be for her. Judging by Ellen and Carpool, she is not comfortable on TV. The 'it's unfair she followed Beyonce' comments are insulting. She's Britney ******* Spears, Beyonce OPENED for her once upon a time. Brit is her contemporary, and should be expected to put on as good a show as she does. However, if she can't then we have to accecpt she's not going to enjoy HUGE commercial success from the GP. Let's be honest, Brit hasn't had a performance on tour or TV since 2004 that could 'shut down' an awards show. BBMAs was great and sets the bar for Britney going forward I think. VMAs was good, and she should certainly aim to not fall under that standard.

Britney is such a weird artist in many ways. She purposefully shuts off her audience. She doesn't sing a word live. Every. Single. Song. is about *** pretty much. She doesn't know what her songs mean, who writes them etc, she's just putting out fun music. And that's great. But in today's world people buy into an artist who connects with them, invites them in, releases meme-able music and interviews and portraits this obtainable celebrity lifestyle. Live vocals are more prevalent than they have been in years. Even basic pop stars are trying to put meaning into songs and talking about mental health, politics etc and giving their stuff SOME meaning. There's no denying that no other popstar is judged on how 'happy and healthy' they are. And we know why Brit's an exception here.

Britney's fanbase grew up with her, but her career hasn't grown in so long. You can't expect the millions of fans who loved her at 16 to still want to listen to the same sort of song a decade or two later really. 

And that's fine. Britney's most important priority is being happy and healthy and her family. And I'm always going to be a fan of that, we should just stop worrying about charts and GP's opinion on her because she's not changing so let's just hope for the best Britney she can be.

LOL I'm not even 100% sure how much sense I made there...

This is so true... I do not like beyonka that much but I think she made really good moves with her last 2 albums. She released beyonce and in a lot of her songs, she made a statement: I am feminist, I am a strong woman, I have a strong opinion... and that obviously caught people's attention. Besides, it was a VISUAL album, something that not everyone does. Then she released Lemonade where she is addressing a lot of black people issues. She has gone really hard on that and that's why GP is on her side...

I love Britney since I'm a kid, and Glory is amazing but if she wants to get GP, she must make an statement. Everyone knows her like the 'Princess of Pop' but she is growing and in order to fit in today's world pop, she must define what her image is.

10 minutes ago, Dark Prerogative said:

This is so true... I do not like beyonka that much but I think she made really good moves with her last 2 albums. She released beyonce and in a lot of her songs, she made a statement: I am feminist, I am a strong woman, I have a strong opinion... and that obviously caught people's attention. Besides, it was a VISUAL album, something that not everyone does. Then she released Lemonade where she is addressing a lot of black people issues. She has gone really hard on that and that's why GP is on her side...

I love Britney since I'm a kid, and Glory is amazing but if she wants to get GP, she must make an statement. Everyone knows her like the 'Princess of Pop' but she is growing and in order to fit in today's world pop, she must define what her image is.

It's cool you agree. And I'm not saying I want Brit to go political, of course that won't happen. But there's no depth to her to connect to the GP on an artistic level.

I love Glory, but it's all fluffy *** and simple lyrics. It's more mature production wise but it's the same album she's released 5 times already. So I don't blame people for not being intrigued. Especially when she openly says she's not ******* guys at the minute and doesn't drink/party etc. Her music is so detached from her as a person, which also distances th GP from her I think.

My biggest gripe with Make Me is this. The whole theme for this album and the VMA performance was a rebirth and reinvention. But the artsy weird video was scrapped. And the stripped down artsy performance couldn't be seen as raw or authentic because she lipsyned (badly) and opted for  grinding and hair flips instead of a routine. You can't bill it as a stripped down no strings attached performance while pretending to sing using 2 microphones and resorting to bopping around sexily anyway. 

I LIKED the performance but it was misguided and really exposed Britney's weaknesses since 2003: a reluctance to risk things and go all out.

3 hours ago, nels64 said:

Doesn't make it less true. 

It's also strange because one thing will turn around and the next will go back. 

For example:

Her dancing was like 80% peak Britney when Piece of Me 2.0 started. It was the closest she's gotten to dancing like her old self and her confidence was on fire. 

She did the BBMAs everything seemed like she was coming for weaves. 

Then the album comes out and her performance skills regress to Circus-level (still good but not a lot of dancing and just a lot of walking and arm movements) 

BUT she's doing more promo than she has done since ITZ/Circus. 

So things are progressing. They just never correlate. 

Which is why I say, eventually they will. 

Circus era has better dancing:idkney:

Archived