Blame the post-circus eras

Cookie Lyon

4 hours ago, Hypnotherapy said:

Circus was the start of it, in fact.

Circus sold well because of the comeback hype. The CD was averagely reviewed and dropped off quickly. The tour was praised for its production, but Brit herself was panned. She did basically no promo after the CD was released and her promo performaces in Europe (or at least the UK) faced some of the worst criticism she's ever had.

Femme Fatale actually had great chart numbers, but again the promo was criticised and Brit wasn't visible after the CD was released. The tour was praised a bit more than Circus, but there wasn't enough of a push from Britney to get a the GP more involved.

X-FActor was a hugely wasted opportunity. Brit didn't talk much let alone perform a single or push her stuff on TV. Again faced criticism for being distant and absent, especially compared to Demi who used the show as a platform.

BJ was the nail in the coffin as not only was the music weak, but there was zero promo and Brit hid away in Vegas. Her brand has changed and it works amazingly for her. She can easily fill the theatre and is performing really well. However, you can't expect the GP to buy into you as a current Top 10 artist if you're playing to crowds of 3000 6 weeks on and off and with no public performances for 4 years.

Over thae last year Britney has improved more than she has in a decade. Her body is incredible. Her performances have gotten better. She seems more comfortable on stage and off stage. She seems to have taken real care with the album and Glory is a great album, she's done a few good promo performances even, but this should have came years ago. People wanted Brit to succeed, but its taken almost a decade after her comeback to get to a consistent standard of music and performances. They should have taken a longer break after Blackout and came back fully prepared and happy.

At this stage it's Brit's nostalgia and star power that she is known for, not for her skills or talents.

And maybe that's how it just has to be for her. Judging by Ellen and Carpool, she is not comfortable on TV. The 'it's unfair she followed Beyonce' comments are insulting. She's Britney ******* Spears, Beyonce OPENED for her once upon a time. Brit is her contemporary, and should be expected to put on as good a show as she does. However, if she can't then we have to accecpt she's not going to enjoy HUGE commercial success from the GP. Let's be honest, Brit hasn't had a performance on tour or TV since 2004 that could 'shut down' an awards show. BBMAs was great and sets the bar for Britney going forward I think. VMAs was good, and she should certainly aim to not fall under that standard.

Britney is such a weird artist in many ways. She purposefully shuts off her audience. She doesn't sing a word live. Every. Single. Song. is about *** pretty much. She doesn't know what her songs mean, who writes them etc, she's just putting out fun music. And that's great. But in today's world people buy into an artist who connects with them, invites them in, releases meme-able music and interviews and portraits this obtainable celebrity lifestyle. Live vocals are more prevalent than they have been in years. Even basic pop stars are trying to put meaning into songs and talking about mental health, politics etc and giving their stuff SOME meaning. There's no denying that no other popstar is judged on how 'happy and healthy' they are. And we know why Brit's an exception here.

Britney's fanbase grew up with her, but her career hasn't grown in so long. You can't expect the millions of fans who loved her at 16 to still want to listen to the same sort of song a decade or two later really. 

And that's fine. Britney's most important priority is being happy and healthy and her family. And I'm always going to be a fan of that, we should just stop worrying about charts and GP's opinion on her because she's not changing so let's just hope for the best Britney she can be.

LOL I'm not even 100% sure how much sense I made there...

Honestly, this whole era started in early 2008, when the conservatorship started.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is only a way of proving she derves the gp respect: slay them with her live performances.

- Her body is on point, she is hot.

- Her dancing is great but she needs to have different choreo from her dancers or she can dance alone without them. Sometimes it is bad to see they are not in synch.

- she needs iconic elements, controversial things that could be remebered. She is not takink risks and she hasn't been since the breakdown. Britney pre breakdown, madonna, nicki minaj, miley cyrus, rihanna, but also michael jackson and singers like him.. Every single singer is remembered for important controversial things. She should risk more.

- live singing: nowadays is fundamental. She is not a dancer, she has to sing something live or at least to make the people believe she is singing live. She should also use her voice to involve her public in her performance (like making people clap their hands, shouting some words or saying some fun things during the songs). If she proves the people she is a singer, everyone will start to reconsider her a real artist and she really needs it at this point of her career.  

Well nobody buys music any more quicker and quicker than even 2013!

For once I feel like Britney is carrying an era rather than her team - Make Me may not be a huge hit but it's had the most longevity of any of her singles in a while. It's like a newer MATM, a transitional singlePeople are curious about the song but slowly, like "oh maybe she's not so bad". And 2015-2016 with all the good press and ditching Sam Lufti (that should be headlines tbh). Performance wise she's like 80% amazing but I can see that she has that fire and improves each outing. 

You do have a lot of good points too. Her team is stuck in 2005. Just bring back the music video A game for single 2 and start singing live/prerecording (!!)

1 hour ago, TomM0RE said:

There is only a way of proving she derves the gp respect: slay them with her live performances.

- Her body is on point, she is hot.

- Her dancing is great but she needs to have different choreo from her dancers or she can dance alone without them. Sometimes it is bad to see they are not in synch.

- she needs iconic elements, controversial things that could be remebered. She is not takink risks and she hasn't been since the breakdown. Britney pre breakdown, madonna, nicki minaj, miley cyrus, rihanna, but also michael jackson and singers like him.. Every single singer is remembered for important controversial things. She should risk more.

- live singing: nowadays is fundamental. She is not a dancer, she has to sing something live or at least to make the people believe she is singing live. She should also use her voice to involve her public in her performance (like making people clap their hands, shouting some words or saying some fun things during the songs). If she proves the people she is a singer, everyone will start to reconsider her a real artist and she really needs it at this point of her career.  

I agree 100%

• Super Mods
1 minute ago, ukfan said:

I understand what your saying and I respect it,

however I just feel that the Britney machine has been running 50% for to long 

A full out world tour will gain public interest and will be a bigger step for Spears than a smaller tour 

She is only 34! She can sell enough.  

A "intimate tour" would be a great idea maybe for the future.

But  she's in her prime.  A full on stadium world tour is needed though after Vegas. Her fans and even GP around the world need it! 

I honestly think her team needs to inspire the GP to re-appreciate Britney as an artist before they think about doing a world tour. Especially given the reasons many members in this thread have brought up. It's a sad fact that many members of the GP say they wouldn't pay to go to a Britney concert if they're going to be hearing CD track vocals, out-of-sync lip-syncing, etc. 

If her team continues to improve the promising promo that's slated for this era, and honestly take into consideration the concerns like the ones expressed in this thread, then I think a Glory world tour could happen, and be relatively successful. But Team B and Britney herself would really have to actively shift the way things are done (even if it's just taking small steps in the right direction) if a world tour were to happen, in my opinion. They've had time about 10 years to address some of the actual/realistic concerns that people bring up, and given the quality of music we now have, now would be the right time to actually make those changes.

11 minutes ago, ukfan said:

Also I think for the sake of creating art,  father Jamie needs to be banned from any future video shoot. Period.  (never used that word before!) 

Did Jamie show up to the MM shoot by any chance? :jolieoverit:

I haven't seen him around much at all lately...he travelled with her to NY for the VMA's, but didn't appear to attend the show.

3 minutes ago, ukfan said:

@SlayOut Britney should start working on a ballad now,  to show the world that OFCOURSE she can still sing.  Get out on a stage sing it completely live just once.  Release the song/video around Christmas time.  

We know she's got the full package,  the world just needs to hear her sing again.  

Then it will go viral,  people will know that she's still amazing,  

we know she can sing. She knows she can. We just need to hear it.  After that I'm sure tour sales would be fine,  as well as releasing great GLORY singles aswell.  

She should sing 'mood ring ' on TV 

She's got the voice,  body, and personality to slay the public.  

All she has to do is go on TV and sing live.  Everyone will be like "omg she's still amazing,  SHES SINGING LIVE"

I was utterly slayed from the billboard awards.  JUST TURN THE MIC UP! Take a risk,  it will pay off! 

Man On The Moon should be her xmas single imo. It's gorgeous and she could sing it live (if she wanted to.) :tifftear:

6 hours ago, kasavas said:

So since we always complain, and we have reasons to, and then we forget about everything a week or two later, they don't give a **** about us. We have to find a way to be loud again. But it's so hard for this fanbase to do something, all of us, together. :donewithit:

I agree 100% with you. But I think we can't make us hear because there are a LOT of fans praising them and Britney like "We are SO GLAD that she's still making music for us. We are proud of her. MM video is AMAZING, bla bla bla" they can't stop licking their ***** and can't accept a negative review. So Brit and her team only listen to them... And they are ignoring the rest of us and most important the GP. :sickofu:

People need to stop blaming Vegas on her team. Britney said she wanted to do Vegas way back when she was with Kevin. Does everyone forget "Come to me, *************"? If anything I think the Circus and FF tours were her team and she was over it. 

Why don't you guys compile all points and elect a person to write an open letter (to Britney); send either to Britney's team or media (newspaper or E Online) if Britney's team is unreachable.

I'm a big fan of Michael Jackson and back when Michael was still alive, we had MJJFC, a MJ-community like Exhale. We used many methods to interact with Michael and his team.

If I may add a point; I don't need think it's necessary for Britney to showcase singing live. Live or not, gp even some of her fans will criticize doubting whether she's singing live and if she does; people will criticize saying her live is meh. People will nitpick even the smallest thing when it comes to Britney.

I say, just ditch the heels and bring back the sneakers. And pants. She has gained her confidence and swag. Now, just bring back the hip hop flavored choreography like she did before. Britney is known for hard hitting dancing so use that back to remind people why she's Britney Spears. I loved her ABC: In the Zone ABC Special - her dancing was on point, her choreography was amazing and fierce. Was it Colombus Short who choreographed Boom Boom? That was amazing. I also think Tina Landon suits Britney well. If Colombus' style is too hardcore for her now, go Janet's R'n'B sensual classy way.

Anyways, I'm a Michael Jackson fan who wants to see Britney Spears to be happy and successful forever. She deserves it particularly after what she had to go through all those years. Besides she's part of the royal pop family (Michael, Madonna and Janet). She's indirectly continuing the royal pop legacy. I hope her team is aware of that.

While I think some of Britney Spears fans can be really bitchy even to Briney; I understand that the reason why all of you guys bitching up is because you love her and want her to succeed. You guys rooting up for her. So show your love via the right channel - write an open letter to Britney or media - tell what concerns you, what needs to bring back and what needs to go etc. - But write it in a civil and supportive way. While some may argue this method could embarrass Britney; well I don't see any other choice for you to reach Britney's team. It has been years of Britney's team messing up Britney's legacy.

Btw Glory is amazing. My favorite after Blackout. But frankly, the Make Me mv ... her team needs to learn Michael Jackson - Lesson 101; The importance of music videos.

Best wishes.

Archived