Blame the post-circus eras

Cookie Lyon

Lol womanizer and circus and **** performances and slayed. She's not releasing generic radio friendly music. She's being an artist and releasing great but less radio friendly songs. Nothing to do with a performance. And Britney and beyonce are the only performances anybody talked about . Ariana and Rihanna did not overshadow her, especially with Rihanna's lip singing and boring performances. Britney he personality and looked sharp. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, nels64 said:

I've always thought that she should have taken a huuuuge break after circus. 

She wasn't ready to come back after circus clearly as evidenced by FF. 

To be perfectly honest...she should not have done Circus. But I understand them wanting to flip her image around RIGHT after the breakdown. Which they did do. But then they pretty much undid everything during FF and even more so during BJ. 

She should have come back with Circus. Shown everyone that she's "better" and then not released another album until late 2012 in order to give her time to heal. 

I also think it has a lot to do with the conservatorship as well. Notice the freer she gets, the more she lets loose. 

We can only hope now that things will eventually turn around. And I have confidence they will. It's just a matter of when. 

This.

I remember when she was getting so much flack for her lack-luster dancing during the Circus Tour, but I don't think people realize the amount of work that goes into performing complex choreography for a 2 hour show. Back in her prime, Britney was constantly working out, her body was in shape, she was doing like 500 sit-ups a day, she was constantly doing cardio, and she was constantly dancing. Her body was in the necessary condition to perform at that level. She was an athlete! But in 2009, Britney had gone almost 5 years without dancing at all - maybe just a little in her spare time. She had given birth to two babies back to back, she had gained weight, and she had suffered an emotional breakdown. She just didn't have the physical stamina to perform choreography at that level yet. I mean, for God's sake, she went on a world tour just over a year after spending several weeks in a psychiatric ward! She didn't have any time to prepare herself mentally and physically. It's amazing that she even got through that tour! Her lackluster dancing was totally understandable, as she was probably just pacing herself throughout the show to prevent herself from getting too tired.

Like you said, after the Circus era, she should've taken some time to really figure her life out. FF came way too soon after Circus. Actually, she had gained a lot of weight in between Circus and FF, and probably had much lower self-esteem because of it. In between those two albums her conservator-ship got extended indefinitely, which probably caused her to become seriously depressed. Overall, she was not physically or emotionally ready for FF either. If anything, she was miserable during the FF era because she hadn't even fully recovered from Circus or the issues she had stemming from 2007. She needed TIME.

But, again and again, her team and her dad made her into their cash-cow, and she was pushed into working. Right after FF, she did the X-Factor (which you can tell she HATED). Then BJ and Vegas. There was never any time for Britney to find Britney again. Maybe now she is finally re-discovering herself, but unfortunately it's too late in the eyes of the GP and many of her fans. She's been "boring" for too long, and most people have given up on her. If only she was given the time to sort her life out, I think she would've delivered amazing music and performances a lot sooner.

Sorry for the long post.

LOL @ You waiting 8 years to say that she's been living off her name.  Yep, 8 years of living off her name while you favorite flop couldn't live a single year. :mcwave:

Britney success is/ and has always done fine with just her name and music quality.  Of course it could be better with more effort but until then, she's doing ok success wise. :smokney:

100k+ album debut.

Top 20 Billboard Hit.

#1 Itunes Hit.

#1 Pop Digital Billboard Hit.

All of this with the first single promoted with a forgettable lipsyched VMA performance and prerecorded lipsyched performances on The Today Show. :haha:

Tell me who else could do that but Britney? lol

Yes, we know she can be so much more successful if she was actually performing amazingly, but lets not pretend that she isn't successful.  She is still living off her name and you are watching her do it. :shadelaugh:

I blame fatte female :tiffeyeroll:

She shouldn't have toured but done a mini tour. 

And Drop Dead should have been the 4th single. 

Vegas and Xfactor were horrible moves too. Work ***** could have worked as a standalone single. Or a small Britney Jean EP could have worked too. 

Then come back strong with Glory and a world tour :tiffsmoke:

My single choices.. 

1. Slumber Party (ft. drake or rihlapse) 

2. Make Me...solo with a much better choreo at the VMAs 

3. Just Luv Me with LIVE VOCALS AT THE GRAMMYS + Man on the moon

4. Liar as the final single. 

If this happendd irl... Glorious Tour would probably earn 1.3 million dollars per 15000 seated arenas. 

15 hours ago, PRIVATE.SHOW said:

The tea in this thread is hot :howiroll:

I feel like she is gonna have to work very hard to win the GP back. 

Gonna take a major single. Does Glory have one? Not sure. If not they need to keep throwing all kinds of **** at glory and seeing what sticks. She needs new performances though. She's too complacent with her Vegas routines.

14 hours ago, Hypnotherapy said:

Circus was the start of it, in fact.

Circus sold well because of the comeback hype. The CD was averagely reviewed and dropped off quickly. The tour was praised for its production, but Brit herself was panned. She did basically no promo after the CD was released and her promo performaces in Europe (or at least the UK) faced some of the worst criticism she's ever had.

Femme Fatale actually had great chart numbers, but again the promo was criticised and Brit wasn't visible after the CD was released. The tour was praised a bit more than Circus, but there wasn't enough of a push from Britney to get a the GP more involved.

X-FActor was a hugely wasted opportunity. Brit didn't talk much let alone perform a single or push her stuff on TV. Again faced criticism for being distant and absent, especially compared to Demi who used the show as a platform.

BJ was the nail in the coffin as not only was the music weak, but there was zero promo and Brit hid away in Vegas. Her brand has changed and it works amazingly for her. She can easily fill the theatre and is performing really well. However, you can't expect the GP to buy into you as a current Top 10 artist if you're playing to crowds of 3000 6 weeks on and off and with no public performances for 4 years.

Over thae last year Britney has improved more than she has in a decade. Her body is incredible. Her performances have gotten better. She seems more comfortable on stage and off stage. She seems to have taken real care with the album and Glory is a great album, she's done a few good promo performances even, but this should have came years ago. People wanted Brit to succeed, but its taken almost a decade after her comeback to get to a consistent standard of music and performances. They should have taken a longer break after Blackout and came back fully prepared and happy.

At this stage it's Brit's nostalgia and star power that she is known for, not for her skills or talents.

And maybe that's how it just has to be for her. Judging by Ellen and Carpool, she is not comfortable on TV. The 'it's unfair she followed Beyonce' comments are insulting. She's Britney ******* Spears, Beyonce OPENED for her once upon a time. Brit is her contemporary, and should be expected to put on as good a show as she does. However, if she can't then we have to accecpt she's not going to enjoy HUGE commercial success from the GP. Let's be honest, Brit hasn't had a performance on tour or TV since 2004 that could 'shut down' an awards show. BBMAs was great and sets the bar for Britney going forward I think. VMAs was good, and she should certainly aim to not fall under that standard.

Britney is such a weird artist in many ways. She purposefully shuts off her audience. She doesn't sing a word live. Every. Single. Song. is about *** pretty much. She doesn't know what her songs mean, who writes them etc, she's just putting out fun music. And that's great. But in today's world people buy into an artist who connects with them, invites them in, releases meme-able music and interviews and portraits this obtainable celebrity lifestyle. Live vocals are more prevalent than they have been in years. Even basic pop stars are trying to put meaning into songs and talking about mental health, politics etc and giving their stuff SOME meaning. There's no denying that no other popstar is judged on how 'happy and healthy' they are. And we know why Brit's an exception here.

Britney's fanbase grew up with her, but her career hasn't grown in so long. You can't expect the millions of fans who loved her at 16 to still want to listen to the same sort of song a decade or two later really. 

And that's fine. Britney's most important priority is being happy and healthy and her family. And I'm always going to be a fan of that, we should just stop worrying about charts and GP's opinion on her because she's not changing so let's just hope for the best Britney she can be.

LOL I'm not even 100% sure how much sense I made there...

Makes perfect sense. That's what people don't understand, Blackout and Circus sold so well because of the hype. It's longevity and singles sales that prove a successful album. It's like saying Lady Gaga's Born This Way was successful because it sold over a million in the first week, but had like an 80 something percent drop in sales the next week, while not as bad, Circus was the same way. People kinda know Circus, and Womanizer is pretty memorable, and If You Seek Amy had controversy. 

Femme fatale could have been commercially her best album if she actually promoted it. The few singles she did release did pretty well, and could have done better with the rest of the album full of potential singles. The tour got really good reviews, and If i remember correctly Britney herself got better reviews overall than in Circus, it was only her fans who were watching every single show picking apart everything.

8 hours ago, Britneyisfire said:

People need to stop blaming Vegas on her team. Britney said she wanted to do Vegas way back when she was with Kevin. Does everyone forget "Come to me, *************"? If anything I think the Circus and FF tours were her team and she was over it. 

yeah but if you remember this interview clearly she acted so weird and trashy as kevin+ at this time she thought she has stable family with him and it made sense to stay in one place
now she's single and her kids are big enough 
and she says now there's chance of touring in the future

1 minute ago, tsss said:

yeah but if you remember this interview clearly she acted so weird and trashy as kevin+ at this time she thought she has stable family with him and it made sense to stay in one place
now she's single and her kids are big enough 
and she says now there's chance of touring in the future

Every time she's asked about touring she acts like she doesn't want to and she talks about Vegas like it's heaven. I think this fanbase just needs to respect that Britney's goal has always been to be in one place so that she could raise her kids. 

16 hours ago, nels64 said:

I mean maybe that was the point all along? The people around her didnt want her to get better so that they can continue the conservatorship. 

Femme Fatale is the whole reason the conservatorship continued most likely. I mean her ******* "fiance" became her conservator. That's ****** up ****. 

I think Britney is just playing along until she finds a good way out. 

She's settling her lawsuits. She's distancing herself from Jamie and having Brian "take care" of her more often. She's definitely trying to get better and trying to be free. But she also has two boys to worry about. If she started a **** storm right after circus, she wouldnt have been able to see her kids. 

She's overprotected and it's not because she's fragile, it's because the people around her want to control her. But it'/ no longer working. The Spears brand is sonewhat fading and maybe that's her plan. 

Make her conservators stop being interested in making money off of her. Then she can get out. 

I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist and a looney. But there is no reason she should be in a conservatorship for this long. She was no where near as erratic and ****** up as say Amanda Bynes which hmm you guessed it...is still acting erratically and is NOT under a conservatorship. 

Conservatorships are temporary when used in Britney's case OR for SEVERELY inept people. Like people with alzheimer's or dementia who literally dont know where or who they are. 

Not even people with schizophrenia or severe bipolar disorder are put under conservatorships most of the time. 

She was an ablebodied ableminded person before the breakdown. She had a tough time. She was burnt the **** out. Even if she did have a mental disorder. There is nothing severe enough she could possibly have to have her under conservatorship for almost 10 years. 

The whole situation is ****** up and designed to protect and make money. 

Totally agree with you, there doesn't seem to be any reason that it should have gone on this long and IF she did have some kind of condition where she really needs to be under one/can't make her decisions then how do we know it's ethical to have her doing all these performances/interviews/promotion etc. I for one do not want to be supporting her being nothing but a cash cow. I really hope these signs of her being away from her Father and with Bryan more mean something might happen soon, and same with her settling lawsuits. I also notice in the Ellen clip at the start she was driving, I haven't seen clip of her driving in AGES! And I remember she always said she liked to drive. It just blows my mind a judge can let this go on, and stuff when they edit her interviews and when she says her team push her too ********. I also agree with you and the other poster about her parents, to me I think Lynne is a pushover that will go along with whatever and Jamie - IDK. Obviously someone had to step in in 08 and he did save her, but for it to go on this long? Hmm, not right. And I remember that clip of her calling a lawyer saying 'My father threatened to take my children' etc. IF that clip was real, not sure on that. But I don't get a good vibe from him, and I hate that part in the I am Britney Jean doco when she says she wants him off set for the **** shoot and he goes and blows on the window or something like that. Just weird. And YES totally agree and have thought in the past maybe she self sabotages, lack of interest in talking about her albums etc. I have often wondered if it's part of her plan to lose interest of the GP so much that she can get free from the conservatorship. I mean how many interviews she has done and spoken about Pokemon Go etc. and just the same stuff over and over again without really sounding like she cares about promoting, and even on Carpool and Ellen she doesn't mention her album at all.

18 hours ago, Allmylife said:

It's a lot more than that. Britney needs to make her image more current and stop lipsyncing so obviously. 2016 audience has much different demands of her than people who were much easier on her back in 2008-2011

Honestly if she could get her sh-t together and stop being so scared at everything and actually dance... people wouldn't care about her lipping. Everyone knows she does it and the GP dont care about her vocals. In fact they think she can't sing at all. They only want to see her put on a good show and do something spectacular. She needs to do more iconic things onstage and in her videos. We haven't had that in forever.

Archived