Britney's confirmed writing credits

Alexa

I decided to compile a list of all confirmed writing credits that Britney has on released, unreleased, b-sides and songs performed during her tours. I don't think anyone here is naive enough to believe she is the main lyricist behind most of these songs, but whether it's a line or two, the hook, a verse, or something more substantial - she has, at times, been more involved with the creative process than some people would think. It's pretty clear that there's some producers/writers who she has seemed to click with and as a result, been able to bring out her creativity.

I've been through various sources to put this together, ASCAP, BMI, SACEM, a site compiling Britney's unreleased tracks and accompanying credits - and trying to weed out false information that often makes its way onto Wikipedia. This site was always the most reliable, but it seems unfortunately many of the pages are down/missing. If this has been done a thousand times before, I apologize!

I've listed only co-writers (where appropriate)

...Baby One More Time Unreleased/B-Sides

• I'm So Curious (Eric Foster White)

Oops! I Did It Again (2000)

• Dear Diary (Jason Blume, Eugene Wilde)

Britney (2001)

• Anticipating (Brian Kierulf, Joshua Schwartz)
  • Cinderella (Max Martin, Rami Yacoub)
  • Before the Goodbye (Brian Transeau, Josh Schwartz, Brian Kierulf)
  • Let Me Be (Brian Kierulf, Joshua Schwartz)
  • Lonely (Brian Kierulf, Joshua Schwartz, Rodney Jerkins)
  • That's Where You Take Me (Brian Kierulf, Joshua Schwartz)

Britney - Unreleased/B-Sides

* indicates songs yet to be leaked

• Am I A Sinner? (sole writer)
  • Bring Me Home (Brian Kierulf, Joshua Schwartz) *
  • Intimidated (Rodney Jerkins, Josh Schwartz, Brian Kierulf)
  • Mad Love (Christopher Stewart, Thabiso Nkhereanye, Penelope Magnet)
  • She'll Never Be Me (Alex Greggs, Brad Daymond, Justin Timberlake)
  • When I Say So (Brian Kierulf, Joshua Schwartz, Brian Wayne Transeau)

Dream Within a Dream Tour (2002)

• Mystic Man
  • Weakness
  • You Were My Home

In the Zone (2003)

• Me Against the Music (Madonna, Christopher "Tricky" Stewart, Thabiso "Tab" Nkhereanye, Penelope Magnet, Terius Nash, Gary O'Brien)
  • Showdown (Cathy Dennis, Christian Karlsson, Pontus Winnberg, Henrik Jonback)
  • Early Mornin' (Moby, Christopher Stewart, Penelope Magnet)
  • Touch of My Hand (Jimmy Harry, Balewa Muhammad, Shep Solomon)
  • The Hook Up (Christopher Stewart, Thabiso Nkhereanye, Penelope Magnet)
  • Shadow (Lauren Christy, Scott Spock, Graham Edwards, Charlie Midnight)
  • Brave New Girl (Brian Kierulf, Josh Schwartz, Kara DioGuardi)
  • Everytime (Annet Artani) * previously Annette Stamatelatos
  • Don't Hang Up (Brian Kierulf, Josh Schwartz)

In the Zone - Unreleased

• Free (Cathy Dennis, Guy Chambers) *
  • Giving It Up for Love (Scott Storch, Kara DioGuardi and Robert Waller) *
  • Guilty (Joseph Belmatti, Cutfather, Balewa Muhammad)
  • Hollow (Cathy Dennis, Christian Karlsson) *
  • Pleasure You (Anthony Moran, Warren Largosa)
  • Rockstar (Penelope Magnet, Thabiso Nkhereanye, Christopher Stewart)
  • Sacred (Cathy Dennis, Guy Chambers) *
  • Untouchable (Freddie Jerkins, Kenny Pratt, LaShawn Daniels, Rodney Jerkins) *
  • Welcome to Me (Wade Robson, Carole Bayer Sager)
  • Wonderland (Jimmy Harry, Balewa Muhammad, Reza Safinia, Sheppard Solomon) *

Greatest Hits: My Prerogative (2004)

• (I've Just Begun) Having My Fun (Michelle Bell, Christian Karlsson, Pontus Winnberg, Henrik Jonback)

Britney & Kevin: Chaotic (2005)

• Mona Lisa (Teddy Campbell, David Kochanski)
  • Someday (I Will Understand) (sole writer, piano)

B in the Mix: The Remixes (2005)

• And Then We Kiss (Michael Taylor, Paul Barry)

Original Doll / Early Blackout Unreleased

• All That She Wants (sole writer of verses, taken from Remembrance of Who I Am)
  • Conscience (Michelle Bell, Christian Karlsson, Pontus Johan Winnberg)
  • Disguise My Love (Michelle Bell) *
  • Dramatic (Penelope Magnet, Thabiso Nikhereanye, Christopher Stewart)
  • Grow (Steve Anderson, Lisa Green) *
  • Like I'm Fallin' (Michelle Bell) *
  • Little Me (sole writer)
  • Money, Love and Happiness (Michelle Bell, RedOne, Nanna Kristiansson)
  • Ouch (Michelle Bell, Nanna Kristiansson)
  • Peep Show (Michelle Bell, Larry Gates) *
  • Sippin' On (Thabiso Nikhereanye, Christopher Stewart, Dorian Michelle Hardnett)
  • Red Hot Lipstick (Doug Elkins)
  • Take Off (Michelle Bell, Christian Karlsson, Pontus Johan Winnberg)
  • To Love, Let Go (Tom Craskey, Devo Springsteen)
  • Untitled Lullaby / Baby Boy (William Anderson)
  • Who Can She Trust? (sole writer) *

Blackout (2007)

• Everybody (Jonathan Rotem, Evan Kidd Bogart, Annie Lennox, Dave Stewart) - uncredited bridge/rap
  • Freakshow (Christian Karlsson, Pontus Winnberg, Henrik Jonback, Ezekiel Lewis, Patrick Smith)
  • Ooh Ooh Baby (Kara DioGuardi, Farid Nassar, Eric Coomes)

Circus (2008)

• Mannequin (Harvey Mason, Jr., Rob Knox, James Fauntleroy II)
  • Mmm Papi (Henry Walter, Adrien Gough, Peter-John Kerr, Nicole Morier)
  • My Baby (Guy Sigsworth)
  • Rock Me In (Greg Kurstin, Nicole Morier)

Circus - Unreleased

• Everyday (Xandy Barry, Wally Gagel)
  • Follow My Fingers (Cathy Dennis, Freescha, Nicole Morier) *
  • This Kiss (Nicole Morier)
  • Whiplash (Greg Kurstin, Nicole Morier) - Recorded by Selena Gomez & the Scene *

Femme Fatale (2011)

• Scary (Fraser T Smith, Kasia Livingston)

Britney Jean (2013)

• Brightest Morning Star (Lukasz Gottwald, Sia Furler, Henry Walter)
  • Don't Cry (William Adams, Richard Gonzalez, Joshua Lopez)
  • Hold on Tight (Allan Grigg)
  • Perfume (Sia Furler, Christopher Braide)

* the credits for Britney Jean have Britney listed as a co-writer on every song, but I feel these are the most likely, especially as several demos emerged with album lyrics intact. Sia's Perfume demo had no verses written.

Glory (2016)

• Better (Julia Michaels, Justin Tranter, Michael Tucker)
  • Clumsy (Talay Riley, Warren Okay III Felder, Alex Vincent Niceforo)
  • Coupure Électrique (Lance Eric Shipp, Nathalia Marshall, Rachael Kennedy)
  • Invitation (Julia Michaels, Justin Tranter, Nick Monson)
  • Just Like Me (Julia Michaels, Justin Tranter, Nick Monson)
  • Private Show (Carla Williams, Tramaine Winfrey, Simon Smith)
  • What You Need (Carla Williams, Tramaine Winfrey, Simon Smith)
  • Make Me... (Matthew Burns, Joe Janiak, Gerald Gillum)

Miscellaneous

• Follow Me (Henrik Jonback, Christian Karlsson, Pontus Johan Winnberg) - Zoey 101 Soundtrack
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah this is a really good list! There are a few points though:

- Dear Diary should be on the list, Britney was listed as a co-writer on the song, and yes she did change the ending, she rewrote it hence why she got a co-write credit. It wasn't just her 'coming up with the ending's concept'.

Spoiler

Britney revised and re-wrote the ending to "Dear Diary". (From https://web.archive.org/web/20140101224039/https://unreleasedbritney.4mg.com/misc.html

"Britney Spears liked the song -- a slow, misty ballad about a young girl confessing to a secret love in her diary. But there was something that bugged her about the tune." "Blume, who had co-written the song with Eugene Wilde, was summoned by Jive Records to tweak the song with Spears. "It was a whole lyrical change, the whole third verses," he said. "Her input was crucial to the song. It absolutely deserved a songwriting credit." (October 11, 2006) 
"It's been a long time since I've written with Britney Spears. When I wrote with Britney, she was normal and I say that jokingly, but it's also really heartbreaking because she was a normal kid growing up in very abnormal circumstances that have taken their toll. It was a wonderful writing experience because of what she brought to the collaboration. She really understood her audience". "I had a very different ending in mind for "Dear Diary" which was the song I wrote for the "Oops I Did it Again" album. That was a very positive experience and it was also exciting because I produced the demo with Britney singing it. I found that she was a much better singer than what I would have imagined. And I actually said that to her and she laughed and said "Yeah, everybody thinks I can't sing." 

- Shine (unreleased from ITZ) was never finished and never recorded, so I'm not sure if this should be on the list for that reason, although Britney had started writing on the song so she was still technically a co-writer on it.

Spoiler

"Shine" - Written by Britney Spears and Annet Artani, who she also wrote "Everytime" with. They never finished writing it and it wasn't recorded. (from https://web.archive.org/web/20140101224007/https://unreleasedbritney.4mg.com/songs.html)
"And so "Everytime" was born, although it wasn't the only song to stem from the writing sessions in Lake Como. "There was a song...she basically started writing something for Jamie-Lynn, and we called it 'Shine.' It never came out, we never finished it...she was obviously very close to [Jamie-Lynn]. That song never came into fruition for some reason. I don"t even think we finished it, to be honest." (February 8, 2010)

- We don't know any Original Doll songs except Mona Lisa, all of those other songs listed were either recorded for ITZ or Blackout

- Whiplash was originally recorded by Britney for Circus, but didn't make the cut and was later given to Selena Gomez (and The Scene), so it should be listed under Circus unreleased

- As mentioned above JR Rotem confirmed Britney wrote the rap part in Everybody (later made evident by the fact that this is missing in The Cheetah Girls demo version which was recorded before Britney recorded the song) however Britney was not credited for this. It's also rumoured she wrote the rap part in Don't Keep Me Waiting as well but again went uncredited.

She wrote on Everybody (rap) and My Prerogative (opening monologue) too, but it wasn’t enough to be credited

(Doesn’t she have to write something like at least 12.5% of a song to get a credit? I’ve definitely read something about an agreement she has along those lines...)

10 hours ago, Frenchiie said:

I think she definitely has more writing credits on her released songs than what we know. I remember some producers talking about it claiming Britney doesn't want to take credit from other people's work unlike other artists who are jumping on the occasion to add a few words here and there so that they can credit themselves as writers. Yes we see u Bey. :umok:

And you forgot to add "Everybody", she wrote the bridge but she's uncredited (example of what I just said above). It's confirmed by the producer, and that part is absent from the demo.

Yes this is very true take a listen to the demo of drop dead beautiful from ester dean. Ester wrote and produced the song but from demo to final product words were changed. Britney didn’t think certain words were relatable to her and she changed them. She didn’t take any Credit and she could have just like other artist do. She allows the writers and producers to keep their creits. She only takes credit when she part takes in the idea, concept or actual writing.

The unreleased scared I have on my phone. I have it saved as “someday” and I can’t find it on YouTube but it is really good it goes 

“I know someday one day not so far way I will see your face coming alive from my dreams” 

and my fav part is 

“just because I’ve never loved doesn’t mean that I don’t believe. I still believe that you and me will find a way”

is there a way for me attach the link? I had it on my iTunes and my laptop broke so I’m waiting to convert the harddrive onto my new laptop so I’ll have the file again

also why isn’t everyday on here or rock star? I defo thought she wrote everyday

EDIT

https://youtu.be/gB1OuYQ6scs

6 minutes ago, Mystic Womaney said:

The unreleased scared I have on my phone. I have it saved as “someday” and I can’t find it on YouTube but it is really good it goes 

“I know someday one day not so far way I will see your face coming alive from my dreams” 

and my fav part is 

“just because I’ve never loved doesn’t mean that I don’t believe. I still believe that you and me will find a way”

is there a way for me attach the link? I had it on my iTunes and my laptop broke so I’m waiting to convert the harddrive onto my new laptop so I’ll have the file again

Wait, WHAT. You have Sacred???? And Everyday is on the list. I’m not sure if she wrote Rockstar or not though.

10 minutes ago, Mystic Womaney said:

and my fav part is 

EDIT

https://youtu.be/gB1OuYQ6scs

Not Britney :) Sacred hasn't ever leaked.

Rockstar she co-wrote, it's listed under In the Zone unreleased, and Everyday under Circus unreleased.

8 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Not Britney :) Sacred hasn't ever leaked.

Rockstar she co-wrote, it's listed under In the Zone unreleased, and Everyday under Circus unreleased.

Oh thanks thought I read it properly obvs not - did she write abroad?

also, my biography says she wrote the beginning to my prerogative as that’s obvs not on the original part of the song she’s covering and the start up to slave for you 

it says she has a journal with these little written ideas so sometimes they come out as those speaking parts in songs 

also that link 1110000% is britney maybe not scared but that is britney lol

2 minutes ago, Mystic Womaney said:

Oh thanks thought I read it properly obvs not - did she write abroad?

also, my biography says she wrote the beginning to my prerogative as that’s obvs not on the original part of the song she’s covering and the start up to slave for you 

it says she has a journal with these little written ideas so sometimes they come out as those speaking parts in songs 

also that link 1110000% is britney maybe not scared but that is britney lol

No, she didn't write on Abroad, that's by Danja's writing team.

You're the second person to mention the My Prerogative intro, I'm just trying to find a source link for it..

20 hours ago, Alexa said:

I decided to compile a list of all confirmed writing credits that Britney has on released, unreleased, b-sides and songs performed during her tours. I don't think anyone here is naive enough to believe she is the main lyricist behind most of these songs, but whether it's a line or two, the hook, a verse, or something more substantial - she has, at times, been more involved with the creative process than some people would think. It's pretty clear that there's some producers/writers who she has seemed to click with and as a result, been able to bring out her creativity.

I've been through various sources to put this together, ASCAP, BMI, SACEM, a site compiling Britney's unreleased tracks and accompanying credits - and trying to weed out false information that often makes its way onto Wikipedia. This site was always the most reliable, but it seems unfortunately many of the pages are down/missing. If this has been done a thousand times before, I apologize!

Britney (2001)

• Mystic Man
  • Weakness
  • You Were My Home

In the Zone (2003)

• Me Against the Music (Madonna, Christopher "Tricky" Stewart, Thabiso "Tab" Nkhereanye, Penelope Magnet, Terius Nash, Gary O'Brien)

In the Zone - Unreleased

• (I've Just Begun) Having My Fun (Michelle Bell, Christian Karlsson, Pontus Winnberg, Henrik Jonback)

• All That She Wants (sole writer of verses, taken from Remembrance of Who I Am)
  • Sippin' On (Thabiso Nikhereanye, Christopher Stewart, Dorian Michelle Hardnett)

Blackout (2007)

• Everybody (Jonathan Rotem, Evan Kidd Bogart, Annie Lennox, Dave Stewart) - uncredited bridge/rap
  • Freakshow (Christian Karlsson, Pontus Winnberg, Henrik Jonback, Ezekiel Lewis, Patrick Smith)

Circus (2008)

Circus - Unreleased

• Whiplash (Greg Kurstin, Nicole Morier) - Recorded by Selena Gomez & the Scene *

Femme Fatale (2011)

Britney Jean (2013)

* the credits for Britney Jean have Britney listed as a co-writer on every song, but I feel these are the most likely, especially as several demos emerged with album lyrics intact. Sia's Perfume demo had no verses written.

Glory (2016)

Miscellaneous

• Follow Me (Henrik Jonback, Christian Karlsson, Pontus Johan Winnberg) - Zoey 101 Soundtrack

Send this list to Greg Wells ;-)

23 hours ago, Alexa said:

Britney (2001)

• Mystic Man
  • Weakness
  • You Were My Home

In the Zone (2003)

In the Zone - Unreleased

Blackout (2007)

Circus (2008)

Circus - Unreleased

Femme Fatale (2011)

Britney Jean (2013)

Glory (2016)

Miscellaneous

Bj ones are highly debatable. Sia said "I wrote Perfume in 45 minutes by myself" 

Archived