Britney Spears’ younger fandom (those of you who became a fan post-primeney) - this is for y’all!

On 3/3/2024 at 11:42 AM, Popprincess19 said:

I remember hearing scream and shout on the radio growing up, then I was like 8 when glory came out and remember that a little, ofc I always knew the song …oops I did it again and the name Britney Spears, then in 2021 when I was like 12ish my parents were watching a free Britney documentary, in 2022 I read a article that said she shaved her head bc she heard hair can be dr*g tested and believed it and was like “damn, she really is crazy”, then this year I checked Apple News everyday for Taylor swift stuff and when like all the top 10 article spots were occupied by the abor**on bombshell, I pirated her book online and read it, I started listening to her music and really fell in love with it so yeah.

Aw I loved reading that!!!

It made me reminisce about becoming a Britney fan!

On 3/2/2024 at 10:57 PM, femmef4toole said:

Ahhh this is lovely! I’d love to live another life as a younger Britney fan, it’s so cool that your parents were watching the Free Britney docs. I’d of died and went to heaven if mine watched anything Britney related when I was growing up haha. 

Did you enjoy her book? What’s your favourite of her music? 

I mean my parents think she is crazy but my dad did say he had a crush on her back in the day

I liked her music during circus era because my mom played the album in the car when I was like 9.

My dad was who really got me into her though. In the FF era, he liked the edm/dance music of the time for running to. And told me he liked I wanna go and to look it up. I downloaded all her songs, loved basically all of them and got into watching all her old interviews and performances.

I did that for like 3 or 4 years, there was so much content. As a young girl I was figuring out who I wanted to be and her sweet personality, style, was just everything I wanted to be as an adult. 

I also had mental health struggles from a young age and admired her comeback and resilience. So the past few years have been bittersweet. I have so many memories associated with being a young fan though, and I feel like I owe a lot of who I am to her :)

Edited by sodapopbritney
  • Love 2

First of all, I remember enjoying listening to „If you seek Amy“ & „Scream & Shout“, but I never acknowledged who was singing it. I even remember being a 5 year old reading the headlines in all the trash magazines about Britney’s head shaving and her breakdown.

Last year I „accidentally“ stepped over „Why should I be sad“ & „Ooh ooh Baby“ and when I tell you it was love at first sight!!! After I read something about her conservatorship I literally deep dived and couldn’t stop to read stuff about it and all that. 
After that I discovered all of her songs and been a Britnerd ever since 🤓 I love her so much and songs like „Circus“ and „Piece of me“ still give me goosebumps! 

• Love 2
On 3/2/2024 at 11:04 PM, Richie said:

I became a fan during the femme fatale era, previous to that I had bought Blackout (I was 11 years old then) but I think I was too young to actually stan her, I just remember being blown out by the Piece Of Me music video, it was on the TV all the time.

But in 2011, it's when it became an obsession. To some of you, the femme fatale era is terrible (and when I look at videos, it was) but Britney still had a LOT of star power then. Her songs where everywhere, her videos had high budgets, she had performances at the BBMAs and a tribute at the VMAs, she was visiting my country for the first time, all of that made it feel like she was a legend who was still relevant, not a hasbeen or a nostalgia act, an actual star just as relevant as Lady Gaga who was in her peak at the time. It felt great to get in touch with a legend who was still making hits, looking at Britney felt powerful, she had a legacy but she was still so young. 

Also, I was 15, so I fell for the pre recorded vocals, and I used to think well maybe she used to dance more but now she is singing! so I would often come here and fight about how much better her performances were, so delusional, but it felt great. 

And just after that, The X Factor came, and Scream&Shout, and don't drag me, but she still hadn't touch her face so she was breathetakingly beautiful in my eyes. I loved all of her looks.  

Honestly, the BJ era was such a let down even as a new fan, I became aware of the lack of autenticity and soul, I didn't like the music, Perfume video sucked, I honestly got humbled real quick as a stan. I basically started to stan britney and she started flopping. 💀

thank god she released Glory after and she had that glow up during 2016 because I honestly thought at the time that she was never gonna come around and be exciting again. 

Too young to stan? Girl I stanned at 8 when Crazy came out :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink:

OK. Here it goes. I am older than the average stan. I'm pushing 50. I was...22 or 23 when BOMT came out. Pop music wasn't (still isn't) my thing. So, at that age, my mentality was "Ugh. Cute teenager singing pop music. Pass. She IS cute though." I bought BOMT on CD just because it was catchy AF. Fast forward to the OIDIA era. Same attitude, same results. Bought the CD, put it in my binder with the hundreds of others, moved along. Everything else after that came and went, and I paid no attention. She shaved her head "she was nuts", ran around with Paris (and Lindsay in tow) "Ugh". I knew of Toxic, I knew of Womanizer (I actually heard Lily Allen's cover before the original). Work B, Circus, Radar? Totally unaware they even existed. I didn't listen to the radio, I didn't watch TV. I was completely ignorant. 

2014. I start a new job. I'd hear S&S, Ooh La La, and occasionally Toxic on the speaker system. Toxic I knew, S&S I was able to figure out she was on it (duh), but a coworker told me that OLL was her also, after I told her I liked it.  By this point I was bored with everything else I was listening to (which is a lot) so, for fun, I downloaded all of her albums and started listening to the songs I knew, and built out from there. By 2017, I had a Britney playlist on my ipod (yup, still have one). By 2018, I was invested. I had downloaded all of the unreleased stuff I could find, watched as many live performances as I could. I was really LISTENING to her music, rather than just "hearing" it. I really developed an appreciation for her, beyond "she's hot" (which, as a straight guy, is saying something). One of my BFFs lives in San Diego and had seen her in Vegas. We were all set to buy tickets for Domination and then...well, we know what happened. The closest I ever got to seeing her live was driving by the place she happened to be playing in St. Louis one night in '99 or'00. So, as a true stan, I've experienced Hold Me Closer and Manjobi first hand. That's it. She's been my most listened to artist of the past probably 5 years now. 

Edited by reverendB
Added
  • Love 2

It's primeney 1998-2004? I became a fan during 2007. Someone showed me OIDIA MV and omg I was in awe :blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom: it was everything. Then i started to go back and wow.

During 07 I followed a site and the only updates were paparazzi photos lol I have vague memories from Blackout era because I wasn't a follower, I just liked her and watched her MVs and listen to her music from time to time. It was during 08 that I became a full fan and expected released and read news about her. :typing_keyboard_computer:

4 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Too young to stan? Girl I stanned at 8 when Crazy came out :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink:

1. Stanning britney during her prime was easier because she was making content constantly

2. it's easier as well if you live in the US/Europe where you can access all kinds of merch, tours, her music is constantly played. As famous as she was, stanning britney from South America in 2007 was basically watching the news calling her crazy or tuning MTV all day to see if Piece Of Me was playing 

3. I was 11 girl idk I had kid stuff to do like school or play ball in the street 

5 hours ago, Richie said:

1. Stanning britney during her prime was easier because she was making content constantly

2. it's easier as well if you live in the US/Europe where you can access all kinds of merch, tours, her music is constantly played. As famous as she was, stanning britney from South America in 2007 was basically watching the news calling her crazy or tuning MTV all day to see if Piece Of Me was playing 

3. I was 11 girl idk I had kid stuff to do like school or play ball in the street 

Damn you didn’t have to gag me that hard :billiebarf_ew_gross_disgusting_throw_up_vomit_green_eilish:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block