Britney Spears’ younger fandom (those of you who became a fan post-primeney) - this is for y’all!

10 minutes ago, Jup1ter said:

Britney had a lot of new fans coming during the Femme Fatale era,

I just don't know if she was strong enough for new fans during the Glory era tho

Femme Fatale was the perfect storm, despite poor Britney’s misery, the album, promo & tour was relentless - I believe that’s where most younger fans noticed her. She was everywhere. And because they had no conception of Primeney, woulda been less judgemental on her performances which… if you take away Primeney were actually pretty stellar! 

Glory was a little too mature to capture say an audience of 8 years old - that one was definitely a hooray for older fans. Anyone under the age of 21 who enjoyed Glory has my utmost respect haha I wouldn’t have enjoyed it at that age.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Popprincess19 said:

I remember hearing scream and shout on the radio growing up, then I was like 8 when glory came out and remember that a little, ofc I always knew the song …oops I did it again and the name Britney Spears, then in 2021 when I was like 12ish my parents were watching a free Britney documentary, in 2022 I read a article that said she shaved her head bc she heard hair can be dr*g tested and believed it and was like “damn, she really is crazy”, then this year I checked Apple News everyday for Taylor swift stuff and when like all the top 10 article spots were occupied by the abor**on bombshell, I pirated her book online and read it, I started listening to her music and really fell in love with it so yeah.

Ahhh this is lovely! I’d love to live another life as a younger Britney fan, it’s so cool that your parents were watching the Free Britney docs. I’d of died and went to heaven if mine watched anything Britney related when I was growing up haha. 

Did you enjoy her book? What’s your favourite of her music? 

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

Well, as a person, who became a fan around 2011, I'd say at the time in Europe, she was still considered a big star (and elsewhere probably too). Ads featuring her face were still pretty common and one especially caught my attention as a kid - Twister Dance. Having eventually received it for Christmas was the experience, which taught me, that things advertised by stars might sometimes be barely a working product overall (I knew they didn't have to be good, but at the time I still felt they often had at least some use). I was still very young at the time, barely starting elementary school. 

I remembered having really enjoyed her then recent singles at the time - Til The World Ends (the Twister remix is my one good memory of that toy and the Nicki & Kesha version will live in my heart forever), I Wanna Go and Criminal. (Also the S&M performance with Rihanna I found on YouTube around when it happened, even though I didn't really understand the track ot what was happening on stage.) When Work B---h dropped, there was something about it really weird about it for me, it wasn't really clicking, plus my knowledge level of English by then was high enough to get some of it, but not the positive message (I was 9-ish and I can feel the song much more nowadays, but the Myah situation makes it a little bit hard). I do remember one TV channel in Poland trying to push the Perfume video really hard and me vibing to it much more. I also recall thinking Scream and Shout wasn't her best work, but still buying the Will.I.Am CD featuring it and Pretty Girls being some mindless fun, once it dropped. Glory was probably the point I fell off the bandwagon (I still was hyped for Slumber Party being in Just Dance (+ enjoyed one remix of it) and heard Make Me a few times, but I wasn't as into them), but I got back around when FreeBritney first started getting traction and I remember hearing about the troubles of the conservatorship much earlier. Fun fact: Mood Ring was probably the last song I bought on digital, before I switched to streaming.

Waiting for Mind Your Business was a big part of my Summer last year and having heard it, I wasn't too mad at it for being what it is - basically the 2013 Will.I.Am sound with some possible Unholy-influenced sections added afterwards. With Hold Me Closer, the story was a bit different - I am a very big Elton John fan and so having heard the news (the leaks never got to me), I considered the info a hoax, cause it was too hard to believe. Once it dropped, as I was coming back from a one-day trip to Germany I remember playing it on loop for a few hours on my headphones, until arriving home and then some more. (The funny part was that I bought the Elton John biography not long before that and forgot to take it for reading during the drive, so I was very surprised when I saw the song in the new section of YouTube Music.) I was looking forward to the BSB unreleased collab too, when that was being teased for the re-release of Glory and liked it quite a lot, though felt like some of the boyband members could have had more to do there.

Nowadays, my favorite Britney eras are Blackout and Britney (I am a sucker for The Neptunes), but I also have a lot nostalgia for Femme Fatale, as it is what started my Britney journey.

Edited by BenCF
  • Love 3

I remember I saw Britney on the Disney Radio Music Awards when Jamie Lynn THE performance and I was listening to her and I knew some songs but then on I loved her. I would listen to her on my Alexa and I remember I was at my grandma's house and I thought everyone was gone and this was when I didn't have wireless earbuds and my new Britney obsession was 'Pretty Girls' so I put the music video on blast in my grandma's living room and learned the choreography. I kinda stopped listening to her for a while and when I was a little older and had a phone I got into her more, started watching all the videos on her, listened to every released and unreleased song and learned all about her. I also remember i was looking her up on google and when i typed her name in it said 'Britney Spears bald" and i thought that can't be true and I looked at the photos thinking they were edited till I watched more videos about her lol. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, femmef4toole said:

Glory was a little too mature to capture say an audience of 8 years old - that one was definitely a hooray for older fans. Anyone under the age of 21 who enjoyed Glory has my utmost respect haha I wouldn’t have enjoyed it at that age.

I guess that's correct. I was 12 once it dropped and I couldn't really feel it - outside of liking one Slumber Party remix and the Just Dance appearance + enjoying the Make Me... hook as a slight earworm. The songs from the re-release were what boosted the album in my eyes, but I was already a couple years older at that point.

And yeah, Femme Fatale was definitely the post-primeney moment most accessible for younger fans.

Edited by BenCF
  • Like 1

I became a fan during Circus era… after seeing Britney perform on X Factor I was more a bit more curious to find out more about her and that piqued my interest. I knew who she was as a kid but never paid much attention to her until then :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

Edited by Isla
  • Like 2

I would say I became a stan at 13 when the work ***** video came out, I was blown away by the choreography! And then I watched the I am Britney jean doc on E one night and became extremely interested in her Vegas show even tho I was to young to go lol I also liked perfume! 

I was kinda a Britney fan before this tho I first heard bomt when I was 5 during the cartoon movie Robots in 2005 and i annoyed my friend cus I kept replaying the scene lol  no idea who Britney was tho I just liked the song 

At some point when I was 12 I discovered her oops I didn’t again vma performance on YouTube and I played it over and over. I was obsessed it was the first time I was really captivated by a performance! She looked so in control, powerful, and HOT! And I thought the nude illusion strip tease was the edgiest thing ever!!!!

I had no idea what the blackout album was, but I was kinda aware she gave a bad vma performance but I don’t think I saw it, I was 7 and didn’t even care lol

circus I was 8 definitely remember singing along to womanizer on the radio, and me and my older brother were laughing at naked Britney in the sauna 😂 in the mv. I don’t remember hearing circus much.

if you seek amy I never heard until years later, same with “3”. 

I definitely remember femme fatale! TTWE was played everywhere, and the twister dance commercial played every 5 mins. I remember seeing her on mtv too. I think that’s the first time I ever saw her perform on tv.  I don’t remember anything else from that time period tho, scream and shout was really popular too! 

Edited by Oprah Winfrey.
  • Love 2

I became a fan during the femme fatale era, previous to that I had bought Blackout (I was 11 years old then) but I think I was too young to actually stan her, I just remember being blown out by the Piece Of Me music video, it was on the TV all the time.

But in 2011, it's when it became an obsession. To some of you, the femme fatale era is terrible (and when I look at videos, it was) but Britney still had a LOT of star power then. Her songs where everywhere, her videos had high budgets, she had performances at the BBMAs and a tribute at the VMAs, she was visiting my country for the first time, all of that made it feel like she was a legend who was still relevant, not a hasbeen or a nostalgia act, an actual star just as relevant as Lady Gaga who was in her peak at the time. It felt great to get in touch with a legend who was still making hits, looking at Britney felt powerful, she had a legacy but she was still so young. 

Also, I was 15, so I fell for the pre recorded vocals, and I used to think well maybe she used to dance more but now she is singing! so I would often come here and fight about how much better her performances were, so delusional, but it felt great. 

And just after that, The X Factor came, and Scream&Shout, and don't drag me, but she still hadn't touch her face so she was breathetakingly beautiful in my eyes. I loved all of her looks.  

Honestly, the BJ era was such a let down even as a new fan, I became aware of the lack of autenticity and soul, I didn't like the music, Perfume video sucked, I honestly got humbled real quick as a stan. I basically started to stan britney and she started flopping. 💀

thank god she released Glory after and she had that glow up during 2016 because I honestly thought at the time that she was never gonna come around and be exciting again. 

• Like 2

I grew up very religious. My parents wouldn’t allow me to listen to Britney bc she was “too scandalous.” 
In middle school gym class we roller skated across the indoor gym. The teacher would play the local pop radio station while we skated. I absolutely LOVED Circus! I had no idea it was a Britney song! My classmates had to tell me. I started doing some research on Google and realized all the songs I’d hear at Claire’s or at friends’ birthday parties were Britney songs! I’d been a fan this whole time by accident! 
I still wasn’t allowed to listen to her music, but I would secretly play it on the  computer that was in my room. I’d have the speakers super low so nobody would know. 😅 
Then I went to college and really went through Britney’s catalog of music, videos, interviews, and performances and WOW!!! I realized how impressive she is! 
To this day my favorite song by her is Circus. 🎪 

Edited by Loosenupthosebuttons
  • Love 6

this is my time to shine hahah. I'm 16 so basically I wasn't really around for all the scandals and stuff. to me it was more pop culture stuff from before my time I didn't really care too much abt. I always loved the circus album esp womanizer as my sister who is a little older than me introduced me to some older britney stuff. I am a huge janet fan (that in of itself deserves its own story lol) so when I saw britney's vma performance in 2001, it reminded me sm of her and this was around 2021 when people were really paying attention to the con and I actually remember watching Britney's court testimony LIVE on Twitter! anyways, it was then that I became a casual fan, I loved I'm a slave 4 u, the entire Britney album (I LOVE THE NEPTUNES SOUND!!) and alien (yes I admit it I'm an alien stan lmfao). honestly, I became a really huge fan though during late 2022 when I saw the joy of Pepsi commercial. idk, she just looked so angelic and had that star power I don't really see in celebs these days and I thought that was cool!  

Currently I'd probably say my favorite album is between oops and self titled but I'm really starting to get into femme fatale era and its interesting to see stuff that happened when I was little lol. I reallyyyy wish I became a stan during 2016, I feel like that was such a renaissance for brit. 

• Like 2

It's funny, I first heard about Britney when my dad showed me the Toxic video, 'cause he thought it was interesting and pretty cool. That was probably around 2005 or 2006. I was 11 or 12.

I remember downloading Britney's songs on LimeWire and blocked (I guess? I forgot the name), basic songs like Crazy, Bombastic Love (this one I totally remember downloading, hahaha). 

And when those top 10 type of programs of TV would show up I'd be waiting for Someday (I will understand). I'd loved to see it!!! The melody was so catchy and the video simply beautiful. Her vocals... Like a fairy. A pregnant fairy, haha.

In 2007 when the craziness was going on Britney's personal life, my mom had an accident in our home, so it was a particular difficult time for us too. I got to stay part of my day in my cousin's house and we loved to see those music videos (we LOVED umbrella). At this point we already used to sing along to songs like Lucky and Crazy, I think I introduced it to my sis and cousin. I remember going on a website that was announcing Britney's new single gimme more, and I listened to it with them. I thought it was kinda weird at first, I wasn't involved in it. But then we listened more and gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme, haha. What a specific, peculiar time, on pop music too...

In 2008, I was 15... I used to play Club Penguin, and I met a boy there who loved Britney. I used to talk about her with him, he taught me and told stuff, rumors, new singles, videos, this type of stuff. When womanizer came out I didn't really care of was aware of Britney's comeback, HOWEVER, when circus the album and If U Seek Amy video came out I felt more involved. I loved that song. And the video, obsessed. That was the moment I got back to listening and being on Britney's stuff.

I liked how girly she sounded. Vulnerable and s--e--x--y and empowered.

I liked how catchy the tunes were.

I liked the visuals but really what got me was the music first.

Then on the next years, well, life happens, I was interested in some other things, naturally, and I was back and forth listening and watching B's video, such as '3' - I was there seeing those peeks she put on Twitter.

Later on 2011, I started to watch Britney's DVDs again - specially ITZ - and I got back to dancing A LOT because of her and because I'm a dancer person too. I was sweating a lot trying to do those choreos and TTWE and HIAM choreos too! What really inspires me about Britney today is her way of performing, her fire. And for a while it was her way of expressing her ***uality and femininity through dance, aswell.

So, yeah, first I met Britney through Toxic and Someday (some classic other hits, too), 'cause when Britney first came out I was 4 years old. Oh, and I lived in Brazil, so, it wasn't so common to see Britney on TV at that time as it was in USA, I imagine. Internet helped a lot.

Edited by Fita
On 3/3/2024 at 4:42 AM, Popprincess19 said:

I remember hearing scream and shout on the radio growing up, then I was like 8 when glory came out and remember that a little, ofc I always knew the song …oops I did it again and the name Britney Spears, then in 2021 when I was like 12ish my parents were watching a free Britney documentary, in 2022 I read a article that said she shaved her head bc she heard hair can be dr*g tested and believed it and was like “damn, she really is crazy”, then this year I checked Apple News everyday for Taylor swift stuff and when like all the top 10 article spots were occupied by the abor**on bombshell, I pirated her book online and read it, I started listening to her music and really fell in love with it so yeah.

amazing how you describe back in 2021 as it was long time ago and it feels like yesterday to me lol

funny how the perception of time changes over time lol

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block