What do you think of Tate McRae being touted as "The Britney of our Generation" by Gen Z?

With all the hype and momentum Tate McRae is getting lately (live performances, music videos, chart topping, album release, world tour announcement) I have increasingly seen on media (tiktok, magazines, interviews, you name it) people comparing her to Britney and lots of GenZ touting her as "The Britney of our generation"

For older fans like me, it's hard to ignore the parallels between the two - and albeit there will never be another Britney, this kid is pretty talented.

I saw Britney fans in social media getting riled up about it...I personally don't mind it. We have to admit Britney used to be dismissed as generic when she was just starting out and it took many many years for people to look back and recognise how iconic she was.

Tate is just starting out so only time will tell, but to be honest it was about time we got aspirational pop back in the media and crazy choreos that are not for tiktok.

Do you guys have an opinion?

WWW.DEXERTO.COM

Tate McRae performed her songs "grave" and "greedy" on Saturday Night Life, and fans are calling her the "next Britney" Spears.

Edited by ElToxico
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Style. said:

The hype in question is one viral song :shadelaugh_tiffany_ny_new_york_ms_miss_cackle_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao: people should be more focused on buying her album dec. 8th than doing these silly videos. You’re literally comparing a pop giant with a fluke. Anyway, Pink Friday 2 dec. 8th!:queenflopga_pink_sass_walking_away_bye:

I have not done the comparison....let's clarify.....so don't @ me

Lol are people still buying physical albums? in 2023? to do what? play them on their phones? are you a time traveller?

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, ElToxico said:

I have not done the comparison....let's clarify.....so don't @ me

Lol are people still buying physical albums? in 2023? to do what? play them on their phones? are you a time traveller?

People continue to purchase albums from artists who consistently produce quality music, as seen with Taylor Swift, Beyoncé, Adele, Olivia Rodrigo, Dua Lipa, Harry Styles, and others.

If you rely on Instagram trends and one viral song, you might find yourself in a situation similar to Doja Cat’s, unable to surpass 6k pure sales and most of the streams come from one song? 

Also, I’m not hating. Just giving you my two cents. I like her two new songs, she’s beautiful but she ain’t Gen Z’ Britney bich!:bedtime_britney_book_Reading:

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Pink Friday 2 said:

People continue to purchase albums from artists who consistently produce quality music, as seen with Taylor Swift, Beyoncé, Adele, Olivia Rodrigo, Dua Lipa, Harry Styles, and others.

If you rely on Instagram trends and one viral song, you might find yourself in a situation similar to Doja Cat’s, unable to surpass 6k pure sales and most of the streams come from one song? 

Also, I’m not hating. Just giving you my two cents. I like her two new songs, she’s beautiful but she ain’t Gen Z’ Britney bich!:bedtime_britney_book_Reading:

I got it, but album sales isn't a metric for music artistry success anymore. Hell l, they don’t even make any money off of them…

They make money out of touring,  licensing and sponsorships.

Streaming, airplay and digital channels are king whether we like it or not, times have changed for good.

I constantly see peeps in this forum trying to build a case out of “album sales” like it’s 2001, when in reality, they don't matter anymore because they dont financially move the needle for anybody.

:)

Edited by ElToxico

Lol negative Britney was not just considered generic when she came out if anything that's what made her stand out. Generic during that time would be Jessica Simpson / Mandy moore.

Nice try Tate  but she ain't got the moved or the X factor. The fact she sold out to trying to look **** is laughable and not what Britney had to try to do she just did it. Tate had had several attempts to make it big. She could be another Katy Perry though. 

if anything I'd say Olivia Rodrigo is Gen Z Britney being a Disney star and her hype. Although Olivia is obvs not a dancer but she's a performer watching her on the VMAs.

Edited by Barmy86

It’s such a tribute to Britney.

without Britney, there would be no Tate. Britney wasn’t taken seriously in the early days, brushed off as manufactured pop. But because of her legacy and impact, Tate is now getting rave reviews for emulating her early years.

I’m here for MATM 2.0, with Tate and Britney. Maybe even Madonna can join. The Queen Mother, the Queen and the Princess. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block